Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist (3714 Views)

Chioma Ajunwa (First Olympic Gold Medalist) Delivers Triplets / Olympics Canoeing: Akinyemi Crashes Out / Johny Akinyemi: Nigeria's First Canoeist In The Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by Nobody: 4:39am On Mar 09, 2012
Johny Akinyemi needed a "miracle" and a new nation to get to the Olympic Games.
The 23-year-old will become Nigeria's first Olympic slalom canoeist at London 2012, having beaten the Beijing 2008 bronze medallist in a race-off to secure his place.
Continue reading the main story

I think of beating Benjamin Boukpeti as a modern-day miracle. When you see his muscles, you'll understand

Johny Akinyemi
But Akinyemi has lived and trained in the Cheshire town of Warrington all his life, as his accent attests, and admits he is "not the darkest Nigerian you're going to see, by a long way".
He grew up as part of the British slalom squad's junior programme, racing alongside names he can now expect to face as rivals at the Games, but switched to Nigeria in 2008.
"My dad's side of the family is Nigerian - my grandad came from Lagos - and when you grow up as a mixed-race guy in the UK, you go through a time when you almost 'discover' yourself and your roots," explains Akinyemi.
"Around that time I was really looking into my Nigerian heritage, which is something I'm proud of, and I learnt a lot about myself. My identity came through that.
"Warrington is not the most ethnically diverse place in the world and, when you're mixed-race, it's sometimes difficult to wrestle with your identity. But I'm proud to be Nigerian, and proud to be British as well."
FACING THE BRITS

"I know the British guys really well. British canoeing is very competitive at the moment with a good spread of talent, ranging from some fast U23s and juniors through to Athens silver medallist Campbell Walsh (above). There are six or seven Brits I aim to be up among, racing at their level. Their selection race in April is going to be tight, so I'm glad I've got my place already. With only one paddler going to the Games in each category for Britain, it will be tough to make that team." - Johny Akinyemi

In early 2008, Akinyemi made his first trip to the nation he now calls his own, spending several hours at Lagos passport control trying to get his documents back. "I was initiated into Nigerian corruption straight away," he recalls, ruefully.
Once in the country he discovered that, while slalom canoeing meant nothing to most Nigerians, his Christian faith certainly did.
"Religion is really important to me. It's the main thing, the foundation of my life really," he says. "I went to church while I was in Nigeria and that was pretty intense.
"They have big, big churches and there's a lot of shouting - it's really vibrant. I'm not used to that at the Baptist church I'm at [in Warrington], it's a bit more peaceful!
"Everyone in Nigeria welcomed me with open arms. I was worried whether people would accept me when I switched but my name helped. When I said, 'I'm Johny Akinyemi,' they said, 'Ah, you're a Nigerian.' I'm privileged that they allow me to canoe for them."
Akinyemi believes his faith has done more than build bridges for his canoeing career.
"All of 2011, I was building up for my Olympic qualifier in South Africa. I knew it would be a straight race, winner takes all, between me and Benjamin Boukpeti, the Olympic bronze medallist from 2008," he explained.
"I think, in South Africa, my religion got me through. A lot of people back in Nigeria, and in Warrington, were praying for me.
"After the semi-final, where I came fourth, I was disappointed and the nerves were setting in. I took a step back, read some of the Bible - Psalms 18 - and I felt people's prayers giving me strength and peace on the start line.
"I beat Boukpeti and I think God was with me on that run. I think of it as a modern-day miracle, because he's a really good paddler. When you see his muscles, you'll understand," he jokes. "I needed that extra."
SPORT AND FAITH

"It's difficult to balance being an athlete and a Christian. In a way, that super-competitiveness goes against Christian beliefs. You want to win instead of that guy and if God is with everyone then why should that happen? Finding time to go to church is difficult too, since a lot of races are on Sundays. I try to make my canoeing a way of glorifying God - a form of worship - so I don't feel as guilty going off in a canoe instead of going to church on Sunday." - Johny Akinyemi

In pictures: Going to school by canoe in Nigeria
BBC Religion - Baptist churches
If Akinyemi is still cementing the connection to his new country then his rival Boukpeti's allegiance to Togo, for whom he won that bronze medal in 2008, is yet more tangential.
Boukpeti was born and raised in France and had visited Togo only once,  a trip to see his grandmother as a child, prior to the Beijing Games.
No other African has threatened the podium in Olympic canoe slalom. Part of that is through a shortage of appropriate facilities, and Akinyemi is determined to make a difference to the sport in Nigeria once London 2012 is over.
"Nigerian slalom is very much in its early development stages and, at the moment, I'm the only athlete competing at an international level," he says.
"The rest of the guys are in the lagoons of Lagos paddling and, when I go there, that's where I train. I do my weights and fitness in the national stadium, and paddle on the lagoons.
"It's interesting to see - you look around and there are canoes everywhere in Nigerian heritages. On the lagoons you have villages where people use canoes as their main mode of transport.
"After the Olympics, I'll go to Calabar  [a city in south-eastern Nigeria] and see if we can find any white water to set up a club there. If we can just get the kids growing up around canoes into a competitive environment, and into the right kind of boat, then the future is pretty bright.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/canoeing/17293636
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by Jemibee: 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2012
More grease to ur elbow, Johny Akinyemi !! We're proud of you and not those EEDIOTS who are out there for the wrong reasons (drugs, fraud, sexuality pblms)
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by daywatcher: 12:46pm On Mar 09, 2012
congratulations, always nice to hear about one of ours performing well
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by free2ryhme: 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
Good one Johnny we at home are proud of you, Good people Great nation
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by OmoPastor(m): 1:03pm On Mar 09, 2012
God bless your heart bro, we are very proud of you.
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by karpentar: 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2012
This is an Olympic event invented by perpetual losers - UK. They can’t compete in key Olympic events such as athletics, swimming, boxing, etc and they created this rubbish just to shore up their medals haul. Useless British, always losing in international events.
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by GWslim(f): 2:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
Good.
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by LEXYLOV: 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
smiley smiley smiley
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by Chinom(m): 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2012
We need one too for Curling and trampolin jumping. Olympic events get levelooo. And other Beer guzling Nigerian for Darts throwing.
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by deelobe: 4:42pm On Mar 10, 2012
Congrats Johnny Akinyemi we are really proud of you that you are a Christian sportman. Keep flying the banners of Jesus and our nation.
Re: How Johny Akinyemi Became Nigeria's First Olympic Canoeist by sweetgala(m): 11:03am On Mar 11, 2012
God bless and good luck Johny.

(1) (Reply)

Gabon V Guinea Bissau Tomorrow At 5pm / Ipob Unveiled Biafra Football Club, Ask For Friendly Match With Nigeria / If You've Not Won From Bet Before Download This App On Google Play

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.