Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. (12221 Views)

February Elecions: Foreign Journalists Still Denied Visa Into Nigeria? / Lamido Denied Being Appointed As Jonathan’s Campaign Coordinator / I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian Today: Thank You APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 10, 2012
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by jmoore(m): 9:32am On Mar 10, 2012
Gsmxpert:

AS I SPEAK MANY BIRTISH AND IRISH CITIZENS ARE ACTING
AS IF NO FORIGNER HAS DIED IN THEIR COUNTRIES.  angry angry angry angry

Why are you telling us the statement above? This is the exact statement you should have told them, you do not need to give them a direct answer hence no need for denial.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Funkymallam(m): 9:33am On Mar 10, 2012
papatosibe:

Because it is an abomination for a low-life black man to kill a White man. Black people go to jail for life for even looking at a WHite man/woman the wrong way in America. Wake up buddy, and smell the coffee. Now go inform your peeps in Naija to get ready for war. We will take you all out with our drones, like the one below. We will start from your huts and gradually work our way up to your mud houses until we take out every father, mother, child, pregnant woman and heavily accented diasporan like yourself. It is onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

[img]http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5giIp_Owd8RGBSa3_qooUT0Cjq8IA?docId=photo_1331303132257-1-0&size=l[/img]

Who is this british wannabe slowpoke? Get a life!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 10, 2012
a country that can not give jobs to her graduates angry angry
a country that can not give good health facility to its citizens
a country that can not provide roads
a country that not provide water for her people
a country that can not provide light
a country were you must do PR for anything to scale through
a country that its citizens are praying for a break up cry cry cry
a country with no respect for pensioners and the elderly
a country that the leaders are lords

what is there to be proud about such a country,you did well my friend,atleast you are still alive to continue your struggle till you get another citizenship
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 10, 2012
aguiyi:

a country that can not give jobs to her graduates angry angry
a country that can not give good health facility to its citizens
a country that can not provide roads
a country that not provide water for her people
a country that can not provide light
a country were you must do PR for anything to scale through
a country that its citizens are praying for a break up cry cry cry
a country with no respect for pensioners and the elderly
a country that the leaders are lords

what is there to be proud about such a country,you did well my friend,atleast you are still alive to continue your struggle till you get another citizenship

Can you beat that? And those braggers expected the poor chap to own up to being a Nigerian citizen!!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Cuteobi(f): 9:43am On Mar 10, 2012
Poster u did well.even GEJ would hav don same.even d likes of ikengwo and beaf who are crucifying u wud hav done same too.mayb if u had been lynched u wud hav been anoda statistic or even one of the heroes in 'the labor of our heroes past shall neva be in vain' and it ends there.please y'all shud let d poster be.it was his survival instinct dat kicked in!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by nasty45(m): 9:46am On Mar 10, 2012
Beaf:

Exactly! Germans never denied being German when the cannibal case was being broadcast Worldwide; Saudi's never denied being Saudi because of Bin Laden; Americans never disowned their country because of the Columbine Massacre; Norwegians never denied their country because of Anders Behring Breivik etc etc

. . .But a Nigerian denies his country because of boko haram and is proud to broadcast it. embarassed

u sound as a slowpoke.in d situation e found himself e nid to deny wr's frm.even a foreigner wil do same if found in such situation.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 10, 2012
Cuteobi:

Poster u did well.even GEJ would hav don same.even d likes of ikengwo and beaf who are crucifying u wud hav done same too.mayb if u had been lynched u wud hav been anoda statistic or even one of the heroes in 'the labor of our heroes past shall neva be in vain' and it ends there.please y'all shud let d poster be.it was his survival instinct dat kicked in!

I just wonder what else those braggers wanted the guy say and do in that situation when survival instinct (permit me Cuteobi) kicked in.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:48am On Mar 10, 2012
LWKMD
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by room702(m): 9:51am On Mar 10, 2012
shake my head for this guy. he's a disgrace
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 10, 2012
Seriously Beaf i think i you need to tone down a bit i've been hearing about not even from nairaland but from My Work place and friends who ave met i always assume they exaggerate but after going through your posts. speechless
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by aieromon(m): 9:53am On Mar 10, 2012
This is some funny shiiittt right here grin grin

Gsmxpert,go and sin no more.Your life and integrity is more important.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by EagleNest(m): 9:56am On Mar 10, 2012
It's so sad that it has gone this bad. Denial of one's citizenship portends danger. Government should wake up fast!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by reloboy(m): 10:04am On Mar 10, 2012
I don't believe ur story undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by queensmith: 10:10am On Mar 10, 2012
which Nigerian on foreign soil hasn't avoided the topic of his/her origin like a plague, It simply takes mention of emails from a Nigerian prince, or even of the recent hostage calamity for me to pray the ground opens up at the beginning of discussion. I don't want to be associated with such, it's not a crime. We don't have the best of reputations, we can work on it.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 10, 2012
@ OP cONGRATS FOR SAVING YOUR LIFE BY YOURSELF. grin
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by olapo(f): 10:11am On Mar 10, 2012
if you find yourself in the midst of angry people, you would do thesame or who amongst you can die for nigeria. try it in SA, if one them got killed in naija, GOD, THEY WILL KILL YOU BEFORE YOU SAY JACK ROBINSON!!

YOU DID WELL MY GUY.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 10:21am On Mar 10, 2012
nasty45:

u sound as a slowpoke.in d situation e found himself e nid to deny wr's frm.even a foreigner wil do same if found in such situation.

When there are gruesome crimes in the West, have you ever approached any oyimbo in Lagos and he denied his country? Did Germans deny who they were after WWII? If you ever deny your country, then even though there are no physical chains on you, you are worse than a slave with no redemption in sight.

You are just another id!ot with zero self esteem. Guess where I was yesterday evening? Outdoors in some European country, freely chatting Yoruba with a couple of friends. And because we had to block the path, we had to converse with everyone that came through (white, black, asian etc). . . And you guessed right again. . . We did it in our damn Nigerian accents without a second thought! And it wasn't as if there were no TV's around reeling off the news.

Apparently, somebody obviously forgot to tell us to pretend we were "Bri ish" or "Ameriken." Neither did any oyinbo lose respect for us.

There is something mysterious about being inflicted with such a bad case of inferiority complex that you feel the need to apologise for crimes you did not commit and deny your culture/identity out of the shame of boko haram when you are not even a member. I can bet that if someone like you ever leaves Nigeria as Oguntoye Adetiloye, they would become "Victor Jack-Smith," because "oyimbo cannot pronounce my name."

It is fools like you guys that give the country a bad name.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by KINGwax(m): 10:29am On Mar 10, 2012
Pls, for u to post it, it was hard but it's so funny nobody undstud why that's gotta happen.
Those people askin might as well be ready for violence. So it's wise to be wise. If you are a christian, remember david had to act like a madman in order to escape death, abraham had to lie abt his wife to save his head, and i can't remember the disciple but i think it's paul who had to feign death in order to escape being stoned. But hey, don't deny Jesus.
And em, the story was a farce, u knw? With inclusions of
1. Big flat screen(wot else cld it be to make it more foreign? But it happens like that alwys)

2. Spanish guy that u knw(u really want to make a possibility of violence occur)

3. Everyone looked while u walked in silently?(why silently wen there wasn't a premonition of an aftermath)

4. Aint u nigerian?(well since it's a spanish guy u knew, if shld also low u abi?)

5. Now, why is the timing so exactly the time of event on tv?
Guy, u try but so amateurish
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 10:30am On Mar 10, 2012
pc guru:

Seriously Beaf i think i you need to tone down a bit i've been hearing about not even from nairaland but from My Work place and friends who ave met i always assume they exaggerate but after going through your posts. speechless

Firstly, cut the crap and get a life.
Secondly, I will re-emphasise that it takes incredibly low self-esteem to deny your country and heritage. Dude, it is sacrilege if you don't know.
What will the OP deny next? His village, wife, mum, dad? What next?

I will soon head out to Tesco where there are nuff TV's and I will be speaking in my 9ja accent and proudly representing if anybody bothers to ask. Dude, nobody gives a phuck, at best they only want to gain more insight by asking you. Much more fuckry happens in their own countries anyway, cos its 14 and 15 years olds doing the stabbing, drugs and getting pregnant; yet they don't deny who they are.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by youngboss1(m): 10:34am On Mar 10, 2012
Na wa o. Regardless of whatever was being broadcasted you should nt hv done that. Will the foreigner claim innocent in issues like this too and how are so sure it is nt just a way to complicate issue for Nigerians
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by andyanders: 10:40am On Mar 10, 2012
Poster, at that point, you did the right thing. That is why you are alive to tell your story. Forget some guys here condemning your action because they have not lived abroad. When they are in Nigeria, they can claim anything. Someone got killed and at that point, they want you to claim you are part of it. Forget them as they are blind and have never stayed outside their places of birth since birth. Even in Nigeria, people deny their ethnicity when crises erupt.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 10:52am On Mar 10, 2012
^
You people talk bullshit. Who would have killed him? It is only in Nigeria that people act so brutishly, but maybe the OP has only spent his first couple of days abroad and thinks he needs to hide and play the fool.
It sounds so ridiculous.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Gbawe: 10:53am On Mar 10, 2012
koruji:

And what high esteem was he suppose to project by identifying himself as a Nigeria.

This is my recommendation for declaring your personal independence when it is not absolutely necessary to identify yourself as Nigerian.
If you are Yoruba, tell them you are from Yoruba/Oodua nation. If somebody wonders where that nation is located, you tell them it borders Nigeria on the East sode and Benin on the West.
If you are Igbo, tell them you are from Biafra nation. If somebody wonders where that niation is located, you tell thems it borders Nigerian on the West side and Cameroun on the East side.
etc.j

Beaf and his cohorts can continue holding on to the smelly head of a dead fish - it will not wake up.

Beaf is no doubt an uncouth cretin but it is unreasonable  for you to encourage Nigerians to disown their nation because that is how you feel personally. I think what  you and a lot of bright guys lack is the human interaction and world exposure that would make you gain a better perspective.

I am in Ghana now. I was in Ivory Coast yesterday and will be in Togo on Monday. should I go around telling folks ridiculously that I am Yoruba from Oodua land as you simplistially and unpatriotically suggest? It does not make sense especially to proud Nigerians who know that, in reality and despite popular misconception, majority of Nigerians are good, decent and hardworking folks. I have no connection with book haram or the fraud, corruption and criminality some Nigerians engage in.

Rather, I identify with the many positive qualities that makes Nigerians well-respected professionally worldwide as bright, talented and driven individuals. To that end, I will always be happy to declare myself a Nigerian. It is not my fault or problem that human beings generally prefers to focus on the negatives and I will not deny my nation by pandering to that undesirable flaw.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 10, 2012
Why are we blaming this guy, we all have at a point denied our nationality for good reasons. E.g if you are dating/chatting/trading or even advertising online, the moment you mention Nigeria,, wow people(from other countries) become skeptic.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Beaf: 11:18am On Mar 10, 2012
991:

Why are we blaming this guy, we all have at a point denied our nationality for good reasons. E.g if you are dating/chatting/trading or even advertising online, the moment you mention Nigeria,, wow people(from other countries) become skeptic.

God forbid.
Sorry, I have never and will never, let heaven fall,
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Skii(m): 11:22am On Mar 10, 2012
If the story is indeed true, I wouldn't blame the poster, though it is not a pleasant thing to deny one's country.

If he had been lynched or attacked, he would have been left alone to bear his wounds and worst still if he had been killed he would have been another statistic gone down the drain in vain for the "Nigeria of today".

In my opinion, I think he did the right thing under such circumstances
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 10, 2012
@Beaf
good for you dear, but you don't blame people who do it.
i once met an american in a club, we were together in the V.I.P, when i was chatting with him, he first lied and told me he was from Tunisia, i speak french so when i explained something to him in french language, he did not understand, then i knew he lied about his nationality. he later told me he was american.
you don't blame people, it might be for security reasons.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by queensmith: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2012
^^ LMAOOO! the embarrassment! he probably thought it was exotic. I think America has poor international relations too, so it's not excusive to Nigeria alone.
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by nasty45(m): 11:35am On Mar 10, 2012
Beaf:

God forbid.
Sorry, I have never and will never, let heaven fall,
i pray u find yourself in a position worst than that of the poster.ppl lyk u sounds bold bt r weakling in real life.i wonder hw the real u is feelin right now.EEEEED.IOT
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Gbawe: 11:39am On Mar 10, 2012
991:

I have never denied my nation and never will. The minute anyone does that is the point at which they pander to crass ignorance. Look at how, as a small example, Nigeria produced two giants of literature (Achebe and Soyinka) who are the most acclaimed to come out of Africa. The publication of both men is included in the list of the 100 best books in history along with masters like Shakespeare et al !!!!!!!!!

How many African Nations can boast of this? Informed and exposed folks know that, in reality, Nigerians are far more about positive conduct than the negative activities many lazily stereotype us with.

It is sad some of us happy to be cowered,  to the point of unpatriotic conduct, because of how ignorant folks prefer accentuating  only negative things about Nigerians. It would be like being ashamed of being black because some racists go around talking about gang-banging as if that is all black folks are about !!
Re: I Denied Being A Nigerian Today. by Nobody: 11:41am On Mar 10, 2012
cos u benefit from the fraud and corruption that Nigeria is known for,imagine , let heaven fall grin grin, you will only end up as another statistics.
the NYSC corpers that died in the north in the name of pathriotism during election,the Nigerians that die every day for daring to question the trigger happy men in blacks at their road blocks,how about those who died trying to protest ill policies of the government,what did the Nigerian state do,to atleast ensure that patriotism is not killed.abeg get a life,

IT IS HE WHO FIGHTS AND RUN THAT LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY, i will do the much i can but will not endanger my life for a nation that provides me with nothing even after deducting PAYE from my monthly salary

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We'll Give Life Of Dignity To All Nigerians - FG / Gunmen kill two police officers in Imo state / Yar Adua Promote 8 Northerner To General In Army 4 Southerner (67%)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.