Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

New Nairaland: State Of The Forum - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / New Nairaland: State Of The Forum (7380 Views)

Nairaland State The Reason Why You Were Ban From Nairaland / Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) / The New Nairaland: Are You Staying Or Leaving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Seun(m): 10:01am On Mar 12, 2012
Dear Nairalanders,

I have to apologize about the intermittent errors we've been experiencing since we switched to the New Nairaland script. When making the switch, my estimate was that we would lose about 20% of our traffic on the short term, and hopefully gain all it back in a month or so, and I was prepared to take that risk.

However, I never expected that we'd have issues with site uptime as a result of the switch. Most of the issues have been as a result of bugs pushed by me in the middle of the night when my faculties were not working optimally. I think we'd be lucky not to lose 40% or more of our traffic if this keeps happening.

I hereby apologize to Nairalanders for these errors of mine. I want to assure you that my programming partner and I are doing our best to deliver a world class "New Nairaland" experience to you. Our ultimate goal is to make New Nairaland better than Old Nairaland, in every way, within a month.

Thanks a million for your understanding.

9 Likes

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Geezle(m): 10:04am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun...what happened to Nairalist?
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Funkymallam(m): 10:05am On Mar 12, 2012
Those faculties should start working @ optimal level o. Have been trying to access the site since morning but no way.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dadicvila(m): 10:05am On Mar 12, 2012
no wahala,i think its for the best and our long term enjoyment,more greeze
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dadicvila(m): 10:07am On Mar 12, 2012
Funkymallam: Those faculties should start working @ optimal level o. Have been trying to access the site since morning but no way.
take am easy naaa,u think say na moi-moi?
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by jojo2011: 10:07am On Mar 12, 2012
Segun, this new site looks more friendly for Mobile phones but not Laptops.Can you allow those who use Laptops,more friendly site like the old one.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by justwise(m): 10:10am On Mar 12, 2012
Funkymallam: Those faculties should start working @ optimal level o. Have been trying to access the site since morning but no way.

Give Seun and his team some credit, managing a site like this is not a walk in the park let alone moving from one platform to another.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 12, 2012
I now Understand what people said about the site not been user friendly while using it on a Laptop.... Jesu its Awkward mehnnnnn. Confusing and too bright. Am outta here!!!

Am sorry for supporting the new "nairaland" yesterday. I hope my fans wont be pissed @ me sha
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 12, 2012
@Seun, More grease to your 'thinking faculties' so they will start functioning properly...
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Funkymallam(m): 10:19am On Mar 12, 2012
Ijogz K: I now Understand what people said about the site not been user friendly while using it on a Laptop.... Jesu its Awkward mehnnnnn. Confusing and too bright. Am outta here!!!

Am sorry for supporting the new "nairaland" yesterday. I hope my fans wont be pissed @ me sha

Cocoa and Badosky will b after u soon.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun, can u please add PM?
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dmy(m): 10:26am On Mar 12, 2012
SEUN YOU HAVE MURDERED[/size][size=8pt] NAIRALAND WITH THIS LAYOUT.CHANGE EVEN THOUGH CONSTANT IS NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY.IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT FIX IT!!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dmy(m): 10:28am On Mar 12, 2012
SEUN YOU HAVE MURDERED[/size][size=8pt] NAIRALAND WITH THIS LAYOUT.CHANGE EVEN THOUGH CONSTANT IS NOT ALWAYS NECESSARY.IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT FIX IT!!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dmy(m): 10:28am On Mar 12, 2012
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by walelamina: 10:30am On Mar 12, 2012
Ai dig d nu nairalnd0weldun
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by aca77: 10:35am On Mar 12, 2012
I don't get it. Na who send you work in the first place. Is there a convincing reason why you had to effect a dictatorial change to a new site when most of us were OK with the foremer site? At least it's not like we were complaining about the old one. You might lose up to 70% of your traffic if you're not careful. You should have improved on the old site one feature at a time, rather than this dramatic change from good to terrible.

This whole thing is affecting a very important thread I have been following for a long time, and that is my main anger really.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dripstoil: 10:36am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun,

I'd have to be honest with you. I couldn't belief that after all these years on the Internet
with a platform as huge as Nairaland, that you're still a "Greenhorn"

1. Software developments go through developmental circules and not just a one off with a friend.

2. Many users here talk about the "Interface" but I can tell you the "Backend" is nothing to write home about.

3. You need more than you and your partner for a project like this. You need Team of Developers complete with project managers!

4. Your software will go through circles and tested against bugs in every circle even before it gets to BETA.

5. The size of nairaland, you need Fulltime Team of Developers and software Engineers fully paid and maintained.

6. If you know you can't do all these, then go for vendors (You think vBullentin are fools for the work they've been doing over the years?)
Thats what you wanted to do over night with a friend.

7. There is nothing like few mistakes when your brain is switched off, There are millions of bugs in here.

I'm currently ebarking of a project to develop new SN and over 20 full in-house developers are currently working on it for the past three months,
that's what it takes to go custom.

8. 40% loss is understatement, don't be surprised with 80% traffics and revenue loss!!!

Just my opinion

Dar

http://wealthresult.com/

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by jebbi: 10:37am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun pls get dis problem fixed fast, a day witout nairaland isn't funny.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by kaysy(m): 10:38am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun, where is the signature that comes up at the bottom of each person's post/thread
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 12, 2012
@Seun, i dont get reply anymore when ever a topic i subscribed to gets new reply, check that out, between, this new format will raise some people's BP, it looks stressfull, i hope they get use to it
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by WhyAWhy(m): 10:45am On Mar 12, 2012
PROGRAMMING.. like seriously?!!! Give me a break

I even thought this is a temporary DOWNGRADE for server maintenance and what not!

This is so unfriendly to my eyes and my thought pattern, I am outta here
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by scopusng(m): 10:49am On Mar 12, 2012
Cheiooo, abeg abeg, get the old site back. Seun, what is all these you think you are doing? This is murder.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by ocholiogoh: 10:49am On Mar 12, 2012
its ok seun all for our good
tnx
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Rooneyboy(m): 10:49am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun for crying out loud the old NL was just perfect , y then did u go for a change ?
This ur action really beats me.
For instance I wanted to confirm something early this morning and consulted my beloved NL but to my greatest surprise what I wanted didn't open even when I was seeing the stuff right on the front page.

I decided to get the info in some other site.
Seun my broda I wonder y ur fiddling with ur vault(NAIRALAND).
All the best sha in whatever u think is good for the site.
Ur the BOSS finally.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 12, 2012
Programming? Since when customizing SMF(Simple Machines) turn to programming, bros? Anyway kudos for taking the risk to change that obsolete site. I have faith you will do it right after a few hiccups.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by slimyem: 10:51am On Mar 12, 2012
why is everyone saying its better on mobile?
Its sucks on my phone mheen! And it's just manageable on my system.
Like someone said earlier,he should have included new features one at a time not dump it all on us like this.
Anyways,m still loyal!

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by freecocoa(f): 10:57am On Mar 12, 2012
Ijogz K: I now Understand what people said about the site not been user friendly while using it on a Laptop.... Jesu its Awkward mehnnnnn. Confusing and too bright. Am outta here!!!

see this one,you see your life?if i say you are the boss at being stuppid and nonsense at the same time, people will say cocoa has started again,go meet seun to upgrade your brain like he did nairaland,hopefully when he's done,you'll be better just like NL now is,rubbish child.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Raxxye(m): 11:00am On Mar 12, 2012
I still don‘t understand why u‘re so bent on this change, when more than 70% of NLers are complaining bitterly. Is it that u are not seeing the complains or “we can all go to hell for all u care?“. I wish u good luck sha!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by uwani(f): 11:02am On Mar 12, 2012
I kind of prefer the old Nairaland, this one sucks.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by denzel2009: 11:02am On Mar 12, 2012
With your level of experience, you should know that direct cutover is risky and not the best way to do things. It should have been a phased operation.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Okijajuju1(m): 11:09am On Mar 12, 2012
This is the worst thing to happen to happen to Nairaland since the registration of Mr. Cork. . . angry

If you insert a smiley, it duplicates your post!! kai!! Suen, you no just try to try. . .

Old Nairaland or Nothing!!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by gulfer: 11:09am On Mar 12, 2012
Seun, it is never too late to revert or at least restore the old forum till this is fixed up. Many NLders will have that you retain the old forum style and improve functionality. Look at Facebook, twitter etc even astalavista, what will happen if the guys there decide to change the outlook completely, disaster i tell you for their finances.They will only optimize the old system and not carry out a wholesome change as you've done; even if you want to move it to the next level as you say here, you should consider the users who have made the Nairaland what it is today. A word is enough o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Powerful Images Capture The Very Different Lives Of Children Across The Globe. / When Was The Last Time You Shed A Tear? / CBN Yourth Empowerment On Small Scale Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.