Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires (93021 Views)

Panama Papers: Dangote And Sayyu Dantata Linked To Shell Companies In Tax Havens / 3 Youngest Nigerian Billionaires Today.No.1 Is Lagos Island Biggest Boy(pics) / Throwback Pic Of Dangote Alongside His Grand Dad Alh Sunusi Dantata (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by buJu234: 10:36am On Mar 16, 2012
these are the men that walk with success principle of vision; handwork; patient equal success.

but today Nigerians are the sharp sharp profit; quick quick riches; Jehovah sharp sharp people..etc

that's why our Nation failing every day; every one wants a bribe; scam; uncompleted projects by contractors; low quality products etc..

1 Like

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:38am On Mar 16, 2012
Pretty strong story of resilience, handwork (with some favor from high places) and shrewd business sense these guys -0 now contrast with our new bllionaires AKA Tinubu.. wish someone could write a history - Eko_ile care to offer us some insight grin
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by nagoma(m): 10:44am On Mar 16, 2012
...When the British Bank of West Africa was opened in Kano in 1929, he became the first Kano businessman to utilize a bank account when he deposited twenty camel loads of silver coins. Shortly before his death, he pointed to sixty “groundnut pyramids” in Kano and said, “These are all mine”.

...When the British Bank of West Africa was opened in Kano in 1929, he became the first Kano businessman to utilize a bank account when he deposited twenty camel loads of silver coins. Shortly before his death, he pointed to sixty “groundnut pyramids” in Kano and said, “These are all mine”.

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Richchibuzor(m): 10:57am On Mar 16, 2012
i ll soon be on dat list,interetine to know,men dat knew wat they wanted and they went 4 it.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by sylve11: 11:07am On Mar 16, 2012
those guys were/are strong men, and fortune favors the strong and prepared mind. . . . cool
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by mykejones(m): 11:10am On Mar 16, 2012
Hate them...love them,this family don monopolise Nigeria as a whole.
And if care is nt taken,they can even hold Nigeria 2 ransom.
What d op didn't state is dat,aftr d Federal govt,this family is the highest employer of labor in Naija...And dat each household in the country,either rich or poor,donates at least 20naira to their purses daily. By way of using their monopolised commodities.
They are really really tryin,but it's bad for buisness. Gudluck 2dem
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by chakula: 11:16am On Mar 16, 2012
emmykpes: @ poster,
This is great of them, there's is realy a " Great dynasty" of success.But poster can you let us know any one of them who are puting or allowing there children to take(ing) thier steps already,if not am afraid......

Do you read the wholly script posted if yes why are you asking this question remember they are practicing inter marriage within themselves however take look of the lineage is there any outsider? no, which simply means they are training their younger generations to continue building on.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by nagoma(m): 12:24pm On Mar 16, 2012
@emmykpes

There have been very rich merchants in Kano over the last hundred years and before then. The issue as you pointed out is non continuity in the businesses. This was identified as partly caused by dwindling of resources once the inheritance of ther estate is shared to individuals in the usually large family. The Dantata dynasty is an exception with a guided continuity even from Alhassan's time. One other aspect of the Dantata's is to avoid being in government by all means. Alhassan was close to the Emir Bayero in his time but never accepted a traditional title. the closest he was to governance was to advice on issues on request only. This they reckon gives them full concentaration on business. Aminu Dantata (Dogo) once accepted to serve as the trade commissioner in Audu Bako's government of Kano state. He later resign voluntarily with the aim of focussing on business - I believe.The Dantata's never stand for election and never accept titles.

1 Like

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Dede1(m): 12:44pm On Mar 16, 2012
@POST

“When Alhaji Alhassan Dantata died in August 1955, he was the wealthiest man of any race in West Africa”. What a load of crap. By the way, what is actually wrong with Nigerians?

When alleged death of Dantata came in 1955, Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu was the only millionaire on the surface of Africa. Alhassan Dantata could not compete with the likes of Chief Greene Mbadiwe or Chief A Akwuiwu. Ojukwu along with Britain and British companies such John Holt built Apapa Wharf.

Dantata & Sons would have remained groundnut selling outfit if not for the massive contracts Nigerian government awarded to it during the Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

Anybody who read the post strictly between lines would have discovered Dantata and Dangote would have remained a Kano State’s hauling outfits baring massive overinflated and questionable contracts awarded to them by State and Federal governments of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 16, 2012
Y'all have been looking for the cabal that have raped and plundered you from the dawn of time.

Look no more. Here they are in flesh and blood.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 16, 2012
Y'all should tell your fathers to hustle next time. grin grin
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Y'all should tell your fathers to hustle next time. grin grin

grin grin grin grin
While dangote and his family were hustling, my dad was busy in the villge drinking pammy and chasing village girls around.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Vavavoom(m): 1:28pm On Mar 16, 2012
In all of this I ask: How was/is the welfare of people who worked/work in their enviable vineyard to whose praise we sing, how? Behind every great wealth...@ OP, can you do us a summary of what working under these people demands? Condition of service and service welfare generally winkShouldn't be hard. Insightful, but somewhere in there more lay undiscovered - prevent us from conjecturing. Lead us to the complete knowledge of the dynasty.

lol @ PDude, maybe naim u take enter, who knew?
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by sleekcm(m): 1:31pm On Mar 16, 2012
pDude:

grin grin grin grin
While dangote and his family were hustling, my dad was busy in the villge drinking pammy and chasing village girls around.

Hahahahahahaha! Classic pDude!
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by jpphilips(m): 1:57pm On Mar 16, 2012
pDude:

grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin you don come be say u don come, its a matter of time before you go report to your kids where you hustle reach
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by jpphilips(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2012
[quote author=Dede1]@POST

“When Alhaji Alhassan Dantata died in August 1955, he was the wealthiest man of any race in West Africa”. What a load of crap. By the way, what is actually wrong with Nigerians?

When alleged death of Dantata came in 1955, Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu was the only millionaire on the surface of Africa. Alhassan Dantata could not compete with the likes of Chief Greene Mbadiwe or Chief A Akwuiwu. Ojukwu along with Britain and British companies such John Holt built Apapa Wharf.

Dantata & Sons would have remained groundnut selling outfit if not for the massive contracts Nigerian government awarded to it during the Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

Anybody who read the post strictly between lines would have discovered Dantata and Dangote would have remained a Kano State’s hauling outfits baring massive overinflated and questionable contracts awarded to them by State and Federal governments of Nigeria.

seconded,

the first conventional bank Dantata banked with (ACB) was owned by louis ojukwu in the 50's, Apapa wharf, BP, defunct African transport etc.

Dantata dey learn work where louis dey
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2012
Tribalizing the issue again.

I have argued on NL here about 2 years ago, when Al-Hassan and Loius Ojukwu were alive, Dantata was almost unanimously recognized as the richest West African then. L. Ojukwu lived longer so may have been the richest after Dantata died. But what is known from history is that Al-Hassan Dantata was the richest Nigerian of his generation. No need to tribalize issue, it's a fact, just as Abiola was undisputably regarded as Nigeria's richest in his own time too.

Probably in their generations:
Al-Hassan Dantata
Loius Ojukwu
Aminu Dantata
M.K.O Abiola
Aliko Dangote
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by baslone: 3:07pm On Mar 16, 2012
@Callotti, Loius Ojukwu owned a bank, was he a slave trader too?

1 Like

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Dede1(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2012
Jarus: Tribalizing the issue again.

I have argued on NL here about 2 years ago, when Al-Hassan and Loius Ojukwu were alive, Dantata was almost unanimously recognized as the richest West African then. L. Ojukwu lived longer so may have been the richest after Dantata died. But what is known from history is that Al-Hassan Dantata was the richest Nigerian of his generation. No need to tribalize issue, it's a fact, just as Abiola was undisputably regarded as Nigeria's richest in his own time too.

Probably in their generations:
Al-Hassan Dantata
Loius Ojukwu
Aminu Dantata
M.K.O Abiola
Aliko Dangote

Those who shamefully post articles laden with falsehood are people that injected tribalism into this discussion. Chief Greene Mbadiwe, who allegedly bankrolled West African Pilot, was richer than Dantata and Sons in 1955 talk less Sir L O Ojukwu.

You must be in lala land if you believed AlHassen Dantata was richer than Odumegwu Ojukwu when the former died in 1955. In 1950, please name one thing accomplished by Alhassen Dantata except Dantata and Sons, an outfit that dealt with kola and ground nuts.

By 1950, Louis Oduemegwu Ojukwu had sent his son to England to start high school, bought a Rolls Royce for him while in Oxford, owned part of NNSL, NCC, Shell Darcy, ACB, Appa Wharf and OTC.

Dantata and Sons would have still remained kola nut selling outfit without the questionable and overinflated government contracted awarded to it by Nigeria during Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

Stop regurgitating the crap carried by Wiki.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by bakila: 4:10pm On Mar 16, 2012
okosodo: These men are ordinary without past military presidents and uneven playing grounds for investors
Since a Hausa man is involved it is so. Tell me any business man in Nigeria nay the World who has not benefit from the concern or indifference of people in power. Indifference cos if they see you as a threat before they and tou lawyer are done you may be nowhere.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 16, 2012
Dede1:

Those who shamefully post articles laden with falsehood are people that injected tribalism into this discussion. Chief Greene Mbadiwe, who allegedly bankrolled West African Pilot, was richer than Dantata and Sons in 1955 talk less Sir L O Ojukwu.

You must be in lala land if you believed AlHassen Dantata was richer than Odumegwu Ojukwu when the former died in 1955. In 1950, please name one thing accomplished by Alhassen Dantata except Dantata and Sons, an outfit that dealt with kola and ground nuts.

By 1950, Louis Oduemegwu Ojukwu had sent his son to England to start high school, bought a Rolls Royce for him while in Oxford, owned part of NNSL, NCC, Shell Darcy, ACB, Appa Wharf and OTC.

Dantata and Sons would have still remained kola nut selling outfit without the questionable and overinflated government contracted awarded to it by Nigeria during Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

Stop regurgitating the crap carried by Wiki.

I know you will reduce this to ibos vs them.btw,where is the business empire of the okoros you mentioned above ? Crumbled ?

5 Likes

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by baslone: 4:20pm On Mar 16, 2012
Na my house e for send him son to.

Even the present day Dangote still has no rolls-royce!!! shocked
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by bakila: 4:22pm On Mar 16, 2012
@Dede Ojukwu Snr achieved all he did without Goverment backing abi? Yeah and his dynasty where is it. Think if snr is around he would have disownwdjnr for causing the war the made his name that of a loser not a financial Giant.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by bakila: 4:26pm On Mar 16, 2012
baslone: Na my house e for send him son to.

Even the present day Dangote still has no rolls-royce!!! shocked
Warren Buffet has no Rolls- Rolls. Damn I am think of purchasing my Gulstream and somebody is talking of Moto. Somebody call Funmilayo Kuti for me. Mama you too much.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by chucky234(m): 4:44pm On Mar 16, 2012
I am enjoying this,no comment yet
But how much was Aliko Dangote worth before the military and how much has he ecumulated since then,I know he was not the richest in West Africa before the military but became richest in Africa after monotizing our economy in conjunction with military.
I am just curious....
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by otokx(m): 6:44pm On Mar 16, 2012
These are more like tales by moonlight
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Callotti: 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2012
baslone: @Callotti, Loius Ojukwu owned a bank, was he a slave trader too?

Was he a billionaire?
I did not see his name on Forbes'a list o.
I only stated that most wealthy 'merchants' of old dealt with slave trade.
The most lucrative business of the dark ages. . .than oil bunkering via the military in modern day Nigeria.
All na 'illegit' businesss.
THE MILITARY IN NIGERIA MADE ALL WEALTHY PEOPLE. . . IN NIGERIA.
Facts!Including with extortion.
I repeat, there are no honest businessmen who are wealthy in Nigeria OR AFRICA AS A WHOLE.
Don't be deceived.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Dede1(m): 9:06pm On Mar 16, 2012
Callotti:

Was he a billionaire?
I did not see his name on Forbes'a list o.
I only stated that most wealthy 'merchants' of old dealt with slave trade.
The most lucrative business of the dark ages. . .than oil bunkering via the military in modern day Nigeria.
All na 'illegit' businesss.
THE MILITARY IN NIGERIA MADE ALL WEALTHY PEOPLE. . . IN NIGERIA.
Facts!Including with extortion.
I repeat, there are no honest businessmen who are wealthy in Nigeria OR AFRICA AS A WHOLE.
Don't be deceived.

Lasinoh, you are drooling dunce. What has Frobe’s list got to do with this discussion? Anyway good to notice your new look but still old fashion.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by aletheia(m): 12:25am On Mar 17, 2012
Dede1: @POST
. . .in 1955, Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu was the only millionaire on the surface of Africa. . .

Really? The bolded words show clearly you lie, driven by your usual ethnic bigotry. Go and research the history of De Beers.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by Callotti: 7:58am On Mar 17, 2012
Dede1:

Lasinoh, you are drooling dunce. What has Frobe’s list got to do with this discussion? Anyway good to notice your new look but still old fashion.

Moo moooooo! Was Ojukwu a billionaire too?
We are talking of dynasty of billionaires, not failed 'Osondi Owendi' Upper Iweka Road VCD merchants.
Or failed para-military traitors and exilees from Abijan.
It is 'FORBES' not FROBE'S. Abi is that from the 'Biafran' dictionary?
Keep sniffing. That is as close as you can ever get my son.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by naptu2: 8:53am On Mar 17, 2012
This is interesting! I'm tempted to continue and write about other businessmen of that era, such as Sir Adeyemo Alakija, Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu and Chief Henry Oloyede Fajemirokun.

It's interesting to note the role of the Royal Niger Company/UAC in empowering some of the wealthiest families in Nigeria. Mulligan Murray-Bruce (father of Michael, Ben, Roy and Guy) worked for UAC, Sir Christopher Abebe (father of Stella Obasanjo, John and Henry Abebe) was the first indigenous chairman of UAC, while Alhassan Dantata's business received a boost when he got a contract to supply commodities to the Niger Company. As recently as the 1980s, UAC was the largest non oil company in Nigeria. It was said that being chairman of UAC or managing director of Shell Nigeria was just like being president of Nigeria.

I was going to add the remaining pictures and a final section on the Dantata story (allegations, rumours and stories) when the discussion got interesting and I decided to stay on the sidelines and enjoy.
Re: The Dantata/Dangote Story: How To Create A Dynasty Of Billionaires by naptu2: 9:25am On Mar 17, 2012
Lessons from the Dantata/Dangote story:

1) Do not get involved in partisan politics, but make sure you are close to the authorities (Chief MKO Abiola would have benefited from this advice).

2) Do not be overly flamboyant or ostentatious (it breeds jealousy, envy and hatred). Again, Chief Abiola would have benefited from this advice.

3) As a family unit, you gain more from cooperation than from conflict (he advised them to continue to marry within the family and to take care of the poorer members of the family). Note that Aliko Dangote worked for Abdulkadir Sanusi Dantata and got a business loan from him. Sayyu Dantata worked for Aliko Dangote and got his business idea while serving as chief executive of Dangote Transport. Witness what is happening in the Abiola and Ibru families.

4) Education is important. Make sure you know about the business you are involved in and that you have broad knowledge that would assist you in future. Alhassan had an advantage over other Kano merchants because he understood basic english and basic accounting, enough to help him in his dealings with others.

5) Volume trading: As much as possible, make sure you are the dominant player in your area of business, such that you can control events and prices within that sector.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Forex Trade Alerts - Season 2 / Dollar To Naira Black Market Exchange Rate Today / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972-2017 Will Amaze You (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.