Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,643 members, 7,801,871 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? (27672 Views)

5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo / Snake Na Oyibo Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 7:10am On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It might not be a typographical error. There is a market in Lagos called 'Oyingbo Market' and also an area in Lagos called 'Oyingbo'.

Citation of 'oyingbo pepe' from this article:
http://www.gerd-meuer-afrika.de/pages/de/fundstuecke/like-da-same-one.php

So, does "Oyingbo" have any meaning in Yoruba, like "Oyinbo" , can "Oyingbo" be broken down to mean anything related to white/pale skin in Yoruba.

Is Oyingbo truly a more older variant of the word "Oyinbo" amongst the Yorubas.

macof and other enlightened Yorubas, can you lots throw some light on this, for the sake of my enlightenment.

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 7:16am On Mar 13, 2015
ladionline:
And you are following the Igbo man who was introducing the European to Yoruba as 'oyinbo' back in those days. cool

It is really hard to believe that the Yorubas after many pre colonial contacts with the Fulanis who have a significant number of light skinned people, had no word for light skinned people, and had to wait for Ndiigbo to provide a word for them. The possibility of that is very very slim, if we look at this through an unbiased lens.

The probability is that the two words Oyinbo and Oyibo, developed independent of each other, amongst Ndiigbo and Yorubas. It was a co incidence.

Though I am trying to see where "Oyingbo" fits into all these.

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 9:28am On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

LOL. All those paragraphs up there are totally unnecessary. It was only a fun reply to semitunde's question asking if I was going to ask him of his skin colour. Lol. I don't even care about skin colour. If you read my post well, you would have noticed it was intended to be humorous.

The issue of Igbo's skin colour isn't what I'll dabble into too deeply so as to not appear being obsessed with 'skin colour'. Igbo are over 35 million in number. Now, let's talk math. I love figures. Assuming skin colour conservative ratio of 70:30 for DS vs LS gives about 21.5m vs 13.5m skin ratio. What's the population figure of Akwa Ibomites? Idomas? Igbiras? Assume a generous figure of 10 million for each, how much of that figure is not dark-skinned? All 10 million of them?

Now, listen, for every 1 light-skinned middle belter or Akwa Ibomite that you show me, there are 20 Igbo of them. The huge population of Igbo makes sure of that.

On that very thread, you went about claiming several people, especially Igbo, who were not from the Middle Belt and 'portraying' them as Middle Belters until I called you out on that.

Moreover, I have never claimed anywhere that only Igbo are light-skinned in Nigeria. I know some Yorubas who are light-skinned. 9ce is one of them. On the same middle belt page, I never claimed such. Quote my post, I said 'most likely be Igbo'. On the streets of Lagos, a 'yellow yellow' person is automatically assumed to be 'Omo Ibo' until proven otherwise.

To be honest, I've seen some very light-skinned Igbo that I get baffled myself. The light-skinned guy in the music group, Bracket is one example. He took a picture with a Caucasian one time (along with P Square's cousin - malcoholic) and there was utterly no difference in skin colour between both, the only difference being their different facial structures. https://instagram.com/malcoholic_obinna/p/yXZXY6JSiS/ Phyno is another one too.

By the way, I'm not extolling LS in anyway. I prefer dark-skinned.

Ok i get ur points
Just that ur emphasis on this here again makes me feel that it is a belief system of urs, regardless of the fact that u were speaking out of humour.

Talking about Mathematics, i was speaking based on the ratio/percentage of LS to DS per tribe.
I can boldy say that the ratio of LS: DS in some tribes like Ibibio-Efik, Egbiras, Shuwa Arabs & Fulanis is greater than that of Igbos.
Idomas, Edos & Eastern ijaws may have an equal LS:DS ratio with igbos.
But i know that based on population of the igbos as u say, igbos would have more LS persons.

Another reason is that igbos are more mobile, hence their LS persons tend to be noticed than others.

Yes another reason is that many Igbo LS are not natural. A lot of cosmetics are involved in some cases unlike the LS people u find from the Middlebelt and Far north who tend to be more natural.

Since u are bragging about Igbos population, try comparing urselves with the core northernerns (Hausa-fulanis, Kanuris & Shuwa arabs). Despite the fact that their weather over there in the far north is far harsher than that of the south, yet many of them still manage to keep a wonderful LS.

Wallahi i tell u, if u see the fairness of some of these core-northernerns, u will really admire whether u like LS or not.

See the picture below of a core-northern girl in a common rural/semi urban settings. So natural, spotless. How many igbo ladies in typical rural settings can boast of such??

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 10:51am On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The Bini King's (custodians of culture and tradition) folk lore story mentions being the progenitor of yoruba people. Thus 'Oba' might be of Bini origin. Their story version seems more plausible to me given the evidence such as edo-like names in Lagos such as 'Idumota'.

I would rather more readiliy accept their story than any other.

FYI: I don't hate Yorubas. My 2 close friends here in the US are Yorubas.
Smh
Truly you are hopeless when it comes to Nigerian history...no point arguing with you

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 11:14am On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Calabar was Nigeria's first capital but I don't think it lasted too long to have any effect on Nigeria the way Lagos did. However, when I mentioned it in reference to Lagos, I meant a long-existing capital as Lagos experienced.

jst to be clear Lagos state was never capital of Nigeria...only the island was

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 11:19am On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:

Ok i get ur points
Just that ur emphasis on this here again makes me feel that it is a belief system of urs, regardless of the fact that u were speaking out of humour.

Talking about Mathematics, i was speaking based on the ratio/percentage of LS to DS per tribe.
I can boldy say that the ratio of LS: DS in some tribes like Ibibio-Efik, Egbiras, Shuwa Arabs & Fulanis is greater than that of Igbos.
Idomas, Edos & Eastern ijaws may have an equal LS:DS ratio with igbos.
But i know that based on population of the igbos as u say, igbos would have more LS persons.

Another reason is that igbos are more mobile, hence their LS persons tend to be noticed than others.

Yes another reason is that many Igbo LS are not natural. A lot of cosmetics are involved in some cases unlike the LS people u find from the Middlebelt and Far north who tend to be more natural.

Since u are bragging about Igbos population, try comparing urselves with the core northernerns (Hausa-fulanis, Kanuris & Shuwa arabs). Despite the fact that their weather over there in the far north is far harsher than that of the south, yet many of them still manage to keep a wonderful LS.

Wallahi i tell u, if u see the fairness of some of these core-northernerns, u will really admire whether u like LS or not.

See the picture below of a core-northern girl in a common rural/semi urban settings. So natural, spotless. How many igbo ladies in typical rural settings can boast of such??

Your comparison is flawed. The young Fulanis wives are house wives kept in a room away from potential flirting men, her Igbo counterpart at that age is probably in school hustling under the sun to make a degree, or in rural setting in the farm, helping the mother and father in farming under the sun.

The core northern gals are often not involved in farm works, they marry earlier, and work indoors under a roof, where Sun rays don't touch them. And even when they leave the comfort their homes, they usually wear hijab to cover their faces, giving them more protection from Sun. Their men do the hustling.

Igbo women work under the sun a lot, yet they retain their light skin, they are more exposed to the effects of Sun rays than their housed northern counterparts. That's remarkable, if you ask me.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by ladionline: 11:29am On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21 : The Bini King's (custodians of culture
and tradition) folk lore story mentions
being the progenitor of yoruba people.
Thus 'Oba' might be of Bini origin. Their
story version seems more plausible to
me given the evidence such as edo-like names in Lagos such as 'Idumota'. I would rather more readiliy accept their
story than any other. FYI: I don't hate Yorubas. My 2 close
friends here in the US are Yorubas.
Yoruba is your headache. You prefer 'latter benin version' of 'Yoruba origin' just because you love Yoruba and have more wisdom to ascertain their history for them and deny their folktale? What a love! Look, you just cave in: you are only manifesting and confirming the spirit of Benin suzereignty over the Igbo, striving to colonise and ridicule your archenemy, the Yoruba, via your bini lord's epistle. Bini, Edo are Yoruba words. So, the word 'Idumota' is the Rosetta Stone of your Yoruba-bini history? Why not think that Edo was named after Ado, the first king of Lagos?

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by gatiano(m): 11:42am On Mar 13, 2015
We all breath different air. there is no sound without air, and air does not travel in or on a straight path, it goes in the same direction of the earth's movement.
If i am in Lagos, the air that will be within me will be that of Lagos, the sound i will produce will be according to that air. When i move to Enugu, i will begin to breath Enugu's air, but it won't change my accent, it would definitely change the accent of my children till after a while my grand children will stop saying "oyinbo" that i used to say, they will now be saying "oyibo". that is how languages are formed.
A lot of people speak english. each country with its own accent;that is because of the surrounding air.

Igbo is not a tribe, Yoruba is not a tribe, the south south people is not a tribe, the fulani not a tribe, Hausa not a tribe. what are they then?
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 12:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:

'Oyibo' town names in different Local Government Areas of Edo state:
http://localitypincode.com/ng/oyibo-camp-postal-code-okada-lga-edo
http://www.nigeriadirectory.com.ng/listings/oyibo-m-p-c-s-l-oredo-edo-state/

Sometimes, you need to stop talking ignorantly and learn to use google. Google is so easy to use.
ok fair enoug but these aren't town names by what I read there.. Oyibo camp and an organization named oyibo m p c s l aren't Towns
Have you actually heard "Oyibo" spoken by an Edo?

Google ehn? Is that where u get all ur education from?
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by ladionline: 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2015
macof:

ok fair enoug but these aren't town names by what I read there.. Oyibo camp and an organization named oyibo m p c s l aren't Towns
Have you actually heard "Oyibo" spoken by an Edo?

Google ehn? Is that where u get all ur education from?
Lol. My hometown used to be access route to Europeans going to Ilaro and Abeokuta. Where the Europeans usually stayed came to be known as Oke Oyinbo to this day. @bigfrancis, google my town name o. I dont want to miss mentioning in the 'Oyinbo gazette' you are working on.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by ladionline: 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2015
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 3:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
pazienza:

Your comparison is flawed. The young Fulanis wives are house wives kept in a room away from potential flirting men, her Igbo counterpart at that age is probably in school hustling under the sun to make a degree, or in rural setting in the farm, helping the mother and father in farming under the sun.

The core northern gals are often not involved in farm works, they marry earlier, and work indoors under a roof, where Sun rays don't touch them. And even when they leave the comfort their homes, they usually wear hijab to cover their faces, giving them more protection from Sun. Their men do the hustling.

Igbo women work under the sun a lot, yet they retain their light skin, they are more exposed to the effects of Sun rays than their housed northern counterparts. That's remarkable, if you ask me.

NO, u are the one who is now saying what u dont know.
Well thank God u said the 'young fulani wives' are kept indoors, but as u can see, the picture of the lady i posted was just a young hausa- fulani girl who has not been married.
In the hausa, fulani or core-northern society, girls are not kept indoors, only married women in purdah are indoors and the percentage of women who go out and engage in business activities or any other activities are equal or even more than those who lock themselves indoors.

It is a core-northern girl from a rich background who is likely to spend all her days indoors just like an igbo girl whose parents are rich also.
Those who are not from rich backgrounds in the core north mostly get themselves busy making, selling or hawking things like kuli kuli, kunu, groundnut e.t.c under the scorching northern Nigerian sun which can never be compared to the southern.
Besides a typical fulani herdsman's wife, which indoor does she have to stay when they live a nomadic lifestyle? They have to wake up early to milk the cows and still go about hawking 'fura da nono' throughout the day.

U have a point in saying core-northern women are kept indoors more, compared to their southern counterparts, but it's not the manner at which u make it sound as if it's 100% of them who always live indoors........A large percentage of them also engage in business activities.....Will u go to a foodstuff market in the core-north and see only men there? no!, women are still more than men in the markets.

But for talking about core-northern girls, it's absolutely false. because the poor hausa-fulani woman who believes that she should b indoors believes that she could use her daughter as a means of business by sending the daughter out to hawk n sell.
The use of the hijab i can agree is the only major advantage the core-northern girls have over their igbo counterparts

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 11:02pm On Mar 13, 2015
ladionline:
Lol. My hometown used to be access route to Europeans going to Ilaro and Abeokuta. Where the Europeans usually stayed came to be known as Oke Oyinbo to this day. @bigfrancis, google my town name o. I dont want to miss mentioning in the 'Oyinbo gazette' you are working on.

I totally forgot about Oke Oyinbo.
But I thought you are awori? are Ilaro, Oke Oyinbo not Egbado Towns?
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 11:16pm On Mar 13, 2015
Nowenuse:

NO, u are the one who is now saying what u dont know.
Well thank God u said the 'young fulani wives' are kept indoors, but as u can see, the picture of the lady i posted was just a young hausa- fulani girl who has not been married.
In the hausa, fulani or core-northern society, girls are not kept indoors, only married women in purdah are indoors and the percentage of women who go out and engage in business activities or any other activities are equal or even more than those who lock themselves indoors.

It is a core-northern girl from a rich background who is likely to spend all her days indoors just like an igbo girl whose parents are rich also.
Those who are not from rich backgrounds in the core north mostly get themselves busy making, selling or hawking things like kuli kuli, kunu, groundnut e.t.c under the scorching northern Nigerian sun which can never be compared to the southern.
Besides a typical fulani herdsman's wife, which indoor does she have to stay when they live a nomadic lifestyle? They have to wake up early to milk the cows and still go about hawking 'fura da nono' throughout the day.

U have a point in saying core-northern women are kept indoors more, compared to their southern counterparts, but it's not the manner at which u make it sound as if it's 100% of them who always live indoors........A large percentage of them also engage in business activities.....Will u go to a foodstuff market in the core-north and see only men there? no!, women are still more than men in the markets.

But for talking about core-northern girls, it's absolutely false. because the poor hausa-fulani woman who believes that she should b indoors believes that she could use her daughter as a means of business by sending the daughter out to hawk n sell.
The use of the hijab i can agree is the only major advantage the core-northern girls have over their igbo counterparts

Fair enough. But just as you have rural fair young ladies, so do we in the East.

I have a very light skinned sister, despite the fact that my family background is a humble one, and she had to do a lot of hustling under the sun like other members of my family to fund her education, she remained extremely light skinned. It is not peculiar to your Northern ladies.

I would have posted her pictures here, but that won't be. a good thing to do.

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 2:50am On Mar 14, 2015
pazienza:

Fair enough. But just as you have rural fair young ladies, so do we in the East.

I have a very light skinned sister, despite the fact that my family background is a humble one, and she had to do a lot of hustling under the sun like other members of my family to fund her education, she remained extremely light skinned. It is not peculiar to your Northern ladies.

You need not even drag this issue with him. The peculiar skin colouration of Igbo isn't a new thing. So many tribes were sold into slavery; Ibibio, Igbo, Akan, Fon, Eve, Yoruba etc and of all these tribes only Igbos stood out in terms of a substantial number of 'yellow yellows' to have been tagged 'Red Ibo' by other tribes. Slave runaway adverts involving Igbos, out of every 10 adverts at least 5 had 'yellow skin colouration' as part of the physical description of the runaway Ibo slave.

In his mind, he thinks Akwa Ibomites, Binis and Igbiras have more light-skinned people among them than Igbo, yet their light-skinned nature is oblivious to almost everybody in Nigeria. They would go to Lagos and be immediately called 'omo ibo' and they'll spend the next 30 minutes trying to prove the person otherwise. These are some of the people that will come to Nairaland to complain that Yorubas are calling them 'omo ibo'. grin

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by kabiyesiii(m): 4:16am On Mar 14, 2015
In the Yoruba Language:
Oyinbo = oyin (bee | honey | melanin) + bo (bleach | peel off). Oyinbo means lack of melanin.

The color of native honey is as dark as Melanin.

In Yoruba Ibadan dialect, Oyinbo is shortened to eebo
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by ladionline: 10:30am On Mar 14, 2015
macof:

I totally forgot about Oke Oyinbo.
But I thought you are awori? are Ilaro, Oke Oyinbo not Egbado Towns?

We all answer Egbado south LG. in the 80s, until the change to Ado-Odo/Ota, which realigned us with our Awori brothers who were coerced with Egbas in Ifo/Ota. people became culturally conscious and they want to identify themselves not as Egbado, a subset of Egba when they have been where they were found before the advent of Egbas in the visinity.

I think you take Oke Oyinbo for Oke Odan? Cos Oke Oyinbo is often like sabo-ngeri in different places the white man transverse in those days. Oke Odan and Oja Odan are all under Ilaro jurisdiction of Yewa cultural group.

@Bigfrancis, what does the Igbos call white missionaries?

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 11:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You need not even drag this issue with him. The peculiar skin colouration of Igbo isn't a new thing. So many tribes were sold into slavery; Ibibio, Igbo, Akan, Fon, Eve, Yoruba etc and of all these tribes only Igbos stood out in terms of a substantial number of 'yellow yellows' to have been tagged 'Red Ibo' by other tribes. Slave runaway adverts involving Igbos, out of every 10 adverts at least 5 had 'yellow skin colouration' as part of the physical description of the runaway Ibo slave.

In his mind, he thinks Akwa Ibomites, Binis and Igbiras have more light-skinned people among them than Igbo, yet their light-skinned nature is oblivious to almost everybody in Nigeria. They would go to Lagos and be immediately called 'omo ibo' and they'll spend the next 30 minutes trying to prove the person otherwise. These are some of the people that will come to Nairaland to complain that Yorubas are calling them 'omo ibo'. grin

Pls Mr man, i never argued d fact that Igbos had more LS ppl than all the other groups of the south-south or middlebelt, because d igbo population is far larger than those minority groups.

My point of arguements were
1) There are other tribes that have a larger LS: DS ratio than igbos e.g Shuwa arabs, Fulani, Egbira and Ibibio-Efik
Anybody that knows the people of these tribes very well will agree that the proportion of LS people are greater than that of dark skinned within the tribes.

Among igbos, it could be estimated that only 5 out of 10 igbos are light skinned.....can that ever be compared with fulanis or Shuwa arabs were aroud 8 in 10 of their people are light skinned? there are some fulani or shuwa arab places u go to and u will hardly find someome with DS

2) The fairness of the Igbos are more artificial and flawed in many cases compared to those u find among the northern n middlebelt folks.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 11:26pm On Mar 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

So are u trying to say conclusions on issues like this should be made based on the view of Lagos yorubas about LS people? or based on the view of the slaves traders only? pls dont be myopic.
Such instances should never be d basis as to which a generalization like this should b made.

First of all, if d fairness of igbos is more noticed in the south (cos it doesnt apply in the north), it could b because the igbos are more mobile and larger than the other smaller groups.
In the north and parts of the middlebelt, light skin is synonymous to being fulani and not Inyamiri (igbos).
Thats why some people from other tribes of the north if they have a LS male child they will name him DANFULANI (or call him fulani jokingly) e.g see someone like Gov Danbaba Danfulani Suntai of Taraba state, he is not fulani by tribe, neither does he or his tribesmen have any relationship with fulani origin, he is Kuteb/Chamba by tribe but his father named him DANFULANI, because of his light skin.
So u see how d Lagos igbo tag of LS does not apply in the north/middlebelt but rather d fulani tag, because we from that part of the country are used to seeing more fulani light skins than igbo light skins
Just the same way the yorubas are used to seeing more igbo light skins than any other tribe's light skin.....hence the likely igbo tag for any light skinned fellow.
Igbirras, Ibibios n fulanis are not as much as igbos in Lagos, so there is no way u should expect the yorubas to recognise their light skins over the igbos

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 11:34pm On Mar 14, 2015
Nowenuse:

So are u trying to say conclusions on issues like this should be made based on the view of Lagos yorubas about LS people? or based on the view of the slaves traders only? pls dont be myopic.
Such instances should never be d basis as to which a generalization like this should b made.

First of all, if d fairness of igbos is more noticed in the south (cos it doesnt apply in the north), it could b because the igbos are more mobile and larger than the other smaller groups.
In the north and parts of the middlebelt, light skin is synonymous to being fulani and not Inyamiri (igbos).
Thats why some people from other tribes of the north if they have a LS male child they will name him DANFULANI (or call him fulani jokingly) e.g see someone like Gov Danbaba Danfulani Suntai of Taraba state, he is not fulani by tribe, neither does he or his tribesmen have any relationship with fulani origin, he is Kuteb/Chamba by tribe but his father named him DANFULANI, because of his light skin.
So u see how d Lagos igbo tag of LS does not apply in the north/middlebelt but rather d fulani tag, because we from that part of the country are used to seeing more fulani light skins than igbo light skins
Just the same way the yorubas are used to seeing more igbo light skins than any other tribe's light skin.....hence the likely igbo tag for any light skinned fellow.
Igbirras, Ibibios n fulanis are not as much as igbos in Lagos, so there is no way u should expect the yorubas to recognise their light skins over the igbos

As for the slave trade issue, did u ever hear of Hausa-fulanis, shuwa arabs, ebiras e.t.c involving in that? It was u guys at d coastlands and close to the coastlands that participated in it.
So there was more tendency of the slave traders noticing igbo light skin than those who were hardly or never involved in trade with them.

And as we have been saying, the igbos had a far larger population than their fellow eastern/southern minority groups who also have a gud percentage of light skins.

I dont know much about the nature of the Akan, Ewe and other west african groups, so i speak for Naija groups.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 12:00am On Mar 15, 2015
pazienza:

Ok, yes my broda.

But just for the records, i am not from the North in the real sense, i am from the middlebelt.
Not all of us from the middlebelt like to be adressed even by mistake as 'north'. we are central nigerians.

Majority of the tribes from the middlebelt zone dont have many light skins. we have more dark skins because we are the 'true africans' with the oldest origins on african soil unlike u Igbos and fulani who migrated not too long ago from Israel Egypt, Senegal e.t.c. cheesy grin
Many say the reason igbos/ibibios hav many LS was because of the settling of many white catholic missionaries, colonialists n slave traders on their lands, and theae white intermarried with u igbos n ibibios a lot..... grin. ( i dont know how true or false this is)
For the fulanis, shuwa arabs n some Hausas/kanuris, surely no doubt many of them have mixed Arabian n Berber blood.

The only tribes with exception in the middlebelt region who have so many LS, are Egbirras. I think the Egbirras should have the largest population of light skins in the middlebelt....6 or 7 in 10 ebiras are light skinned.....
Followed by the Igalas n Idomas, i dont know which comes b4 d other....Both tribes should have an equal LS:DS ratio with d igbos at around 5 light skinned per 10 people.

I dont think there are any other tribes in the middlebelt with as high numb of light skins near these tribes, except maybe those that have had a history of intermixing with fulanis (though am not so sure).

There are some tribes in Adamawa (not fulani) that hav a gud number of LS, My own tribe in Plateau, we do have a gud percentage of light skinned folks compared to other Plateau tribes, making me think we may have had some relationship with fulanis in the past (though i cant tell).
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 3:58am On Mar 15, 2015
Nowenuse:

Pls Mr man, i never argued d fact that Igbos had more LS ppl than all the other groups of the south-south or middlebelt, because d igbo population is far larger than those minority groups.

My point of arguements were
1) There are other tribes that have a larger LS: DS ratio than igbos e.g Shuwa arabs, Fulani, Egbira and Ibibio-Efik
Anybody that knows the people of these tribes very well will agree that the proportion of LS people are greater than that of dark skinned within the tribes.

Among igbos, it could be estimated that only 5 out of 10 igbos are light skinned.....can that ever be compared with fulanis or Shuwa arabs were aroud 8 in 10 of their people are light skinned? there are some fulani or shuwa arab places u go to and u will hardly find someome with DS

2) The fairness of the Igbos are more artificial and flawed in many cases compared to those u find among the northern n middlebelt folks.

Nowenuse:

All that unnecessarily long post to prove what point? You put in hours and energy in writing all that long post only to prove nothing? After calling you out on that by giving you figures, what else do you have to prove? I don't think you have anything else to prove. Majority of Fulanis still remain dark-skinned, from Nigeria to all of West/Central Africa. Open google images, type in Fulani and majority of the people are dark-skinned people. They are a NEGROID people.

And, I think you're beginning to get obsessed with the whole light-skinned issue. We are all black people. Dark skin/Light skin don't matter. In Nigeria, we don't discriminate against skin colour and I am very happy for that.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:01am On Mar 15, 2015
Nowenuse:

Ok, yes my broda.

But just for the records, i am not from the North in the real sense, i am from the middlebelt.
Not all of us from the middlebelt like to be adressed even by mistake as 'north'. we are central nigerians.

Majority of the tribes from the middlebelt zone dont have many light skins. we have more dark skins because we are the 'true africans' with the oldest origins on african soil unlike u Igbos and fulani who migrated not too long ago from Israel Egypt, Senegal e.t.c. cheesy grin
Many say the reason igbos/ibibios hav many LS was because of the settling of many white catholic missionaries, colonialists n slave traders on their lands, and theae white intermarried with u igbos n ibibios a lot..... grin. ( i dont know how true or false this is)
For the fulanis, shuwa arabs n some Hausas/kanuris, surely no doubt many of them have mixed Arabian n Berber blood.

The only tribes with exception in the middlebelt region who have so many LS, are Egbirras. I think the Egbirras should have the largest population of light skins in the middlebelt....6 or 7 in 10 ebiras are light skinned.....
Followed by the Igalas n Idomas, i dont know which comes b4 d other....Both tribes should have an equal LS:DS ratio with d igbos at around 5 light skinned per 10 people.

I dont think there are any other tribes in the middlebelt with as high numb of light skins near these tribes, except maybe those that have had a history of intermixing with fulanis (though am not so sure).

There are some tribes in Adamawa (not fulani) that hav a gud number of LS, My own tribe in Plateau, we do have a gud percentage of light skinned folks compared to other Plateau tribes, making me think we may have had some relationship with fulanis in the past (though i cant tell).

@bold...And I really thinking that you were well-exposed enough. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 7:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

All that unnecessarily long post to prove what point? You put in hours and energy in writing all that long post only to prove nothing? After calling you out on that by giving you figures, what else do you have to prove? I don't think you have anything else to prove. Majority of Fulanis still remain dark-skinned, from Nigeria to all of West/Central Africa. Open google images, type in Fulani and majority of the people are dark-skinned people. They are a NEGROID people.

And, I think you're beginning to get obsessed with the whole light-skinned issue. We are all black people. Dark skin/Light skin don't matter. In Nigeria, we don't discriminate against skin colour and I am very happy for that.

So now u realise we are all black people? when u have been d one tagging all light skin Nigerians as supposedly igbo. pathetic!
I only joined in this thread because i witnessed u doin that 'igbo light skin tag' here which u have been corrected on a previous thread, otherwise this kind of thread does not interest me in any way.

I am not really interested in the complexion of fulanis in Senegal or Burkina faso. Nigeria is the context at which am pointing from.

I really doubt u have been to any part of fulani land or northern Nigeria in ur life, otherwise u would have not need googling for u to know the way the fulanis are.
Unlike u i have lived in both the core-northern n southern parts of the country, so i dont need to google to know the way the people from any tribe in Nigeria looks like.
I have fulani relatives (cos part of my kinsmen are muslims and they intermarry hausa-fulanis a lot), just as well as i also have igbo relatives.
Many of those fulanis u see in google are just identified as fulanis because of their supposed display of fulani culture, but many of them are fulanis who have been mixed with other west african tribes, some of them are even descendants of tribes who were slaves to the fulanis but are now identified as fulanis because they have acquired fulani culture, many of them are also uncivilised nomadic fulanis not found in Nigeria. Those are not the kind of fulanis i am talking about.
I am talking mostly about the town fulanis of Nigeria who are mostly found in Adamawa, Taraba, Gombe n Bauchi who see Nigeria as their one and only fatherland and have settled as Nigerian citizens and integrated into the society and accepted civilization, not those wandering nomadic groups who are homeless.
If u have ever been to either Adamawa or Gombe and seen the pure town fulanis who are indigenes here, or u have been to Borno state to the Shuwa arab homelands, u would have not made some unnecesary comments u made here.
This is why i usually love to debate with people who have practical n experienced knowledge of whatever they are arguing, it makes it easier.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nowenuse: 7:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@bold...And I really thinking that you were well-exposed enough. Smh.

Well the post was not a reply to u.

I see Pazienza as a more objective, experienced and knowledgeable person hence i decided to have a litte joke with him, hoping he will enlighten me a little further from that angle, cos if u would read well from the context of this comment i myself knows that such an assertion as the bolded sounds very ridiculous.
So learn to understand the context of one's coment b4 making wrong conclusions....Gosh, u are really impossible!
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Are The Idomas Igbos / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo And His Oloris Out For Eid Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.