Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,119 members, 7,807,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? (13363 Views)

Handsomeness Of Middlebelt-nigerian Men / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by nguage(m): 4:15pm On Nov 05, 2007
omoge:

"A strong independent black woman anywhere in this world is one who realizes that she is an "EQUAL" partner in a relationship with any man she is involved with. Never a surbodinate. One that commands and fosters mutual respect and consideration from a "partner" without tolerating the abuse most men are so ready to dish out based on some learned cultural or religious hangover!!!"

Rubbish! A strong independent black woman is a fat woman who goes to church on a regular basis. Most of them are also very loud and insultive. They are mostly single mothers because their teenage years were d*ck sucking days. Most of them decide to be "strong and independent" after they go to college and realise they are getting too fat for "consumption".

SAY NO TO THE CHURCH-GOING,"HIGHLY EDUCATED, FAT, BLACK,  WOMAN!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 05, 2007
omoge:

"A strong independent black woman anywhere in this world is one who realizes that she is an "EQUAL" partner in a relationship with any man she is involved with. Never a surbodinate. One that commands and fosters mutual respect and consideration from a "partner" without tolerating the abuse most men are so ready to dish out based on some learned cultural or religious hangover!!!"

thanks . . . and goodmorning. grin

But dont you think all these "quotes" are redundant? How many men today see their wives as servants? How many men are really abusing their wives? In this day and age where assault charges can be filed for merely touching a woman on the butt and more than 50% of couples divorce before their 2nd anniversary?

Seriously i dont think the problem here is men and their "abusive" nature. What we have here are women who wasted their younger yrs gallivanting around bearing fatherless children. After they reach the age of 35, they suddenly clean up, start looking presentable and then make noise about being "strong, black" women.

Who really cares? The typical black woman is noisy, loud, intrusive, abusive and insensitive! For example just look around this board at the very women who regard themselves "strong, black and independent". They insult you at the drop of a hat like there is no tomorrow.

Aggression is NOT a sign of independence! Let these equality seeking women go to the sperm banks and leave us alone!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2007
omoge:

So Beautifully!!. Hugs dear! cheesy. Permit me to quote you wink

This is what I will plaster on my door for Prince Charming to see when he eventually comes cheesy

You can quote it anyday, anytime, anywhere, and anyhow baby doll! kiss

Any strong, black, beautiful independent "bossy" female in the house? cool

Time to kick some ar*****!!!

n-guage:

Rubbish! A strong independent black woman is a fat woman who goes to church on a regular basis.

Most of them are also very loud and insultive.

They are mostly single mothers because their teenage years were d*ck sucking days.

Most of them decide to be "strong and independent" after they go to college and realise they are getting too fat for "consumption".

SAY NO TO THE CHURCH-GOING,"HIGHLY EDUCATED, FAT, BLACK, WOMAN!

He he he he he he he he he he! cheesy grin grin cheesy grin It looks like you have had lots of experience in this area.

Church going? Dem wound you? cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2007
en-fuse:

Personally, any woman would place a man worth respecting as head in a relationship or marriage. All we brothers need do is to earn ourselves as much respect as possible. Respect being relative would differ from persons to persons and for the ladies who have out of this world expectation of a man, then a humanoid will do them well. wink

Sorry, this is not a head or tail situation--Equal partners or no deal. Ladies, throw them all out at the slightest provocation---in their Pyjamas no shoes in minus zero degree weather!!!! cool Or call the cops to report a homeless man wandering around in your bedroom!

Make the divorce rate 75% please since the "men" refuse to be reasonable.

davidylan:

thanks . . . and goodmorning. grin

But don't you think all these "quotes" are redundant?

How many men today see their wives as servants?

How many men are really abusing their wives?

In this day and age where assault charges can be filed for merely touching a woman on the butt and more than 50% of couples divorce before their 2nd anniversary?

Seriously i don't think the problem here is men and their "abusive" nature. What we have here are women who wasted their younger years gallivanting around bearing fatherless children. After they reach the age of 35, they suddenly clean up, start looking presentable and then make noise about being "strong, black" women.

Who really cares? The typical black woman is noisy, loud, intrusive, abusive and insensitive! For example just look around this board at the very women who regard themselves "strong, black and independent". They insult you at the drop of a hat like there is no tomorrow.

Aggression is NOT a sign of independence! Let these equality seeking women go to the sperm banks and leave us alone!

Please Nigerian women/African women qualify as "beautiful, strong, black independent females" not just our AA sisters.  So davidylan stick to the topic and it includes all "black females" world wide.  Abuse is real especially in Nigerian marriages.  What planet are you living in?  Don't you have married relatives and friends?

Yes, most Nigerian men treat their girlfriends or spouses like servants.  Have you not read about the increased incidence of Nigerian men  killing their spouses abroad? Let's not even discuss the "home base"--world capital of gender inequality and spousal abuse---Nigeria.  You must be kidding right?  Please stick to the topic.  We are not only discussing African American black women.

Yeah Righhhhhhhhhhhhht!!!--But agression is a sign of "machismo and maleness" in Men?  Go figure!  Funny how y'all choose to interprete your holy books! Too much testosterone can be a bad thing--y'all need to share with the "ladies"! kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 6:53pm On Nov 05, 2007
@almondjoy

Nne, anytime you want to get back to the topic and get off personal attacks, it's alright by me.

Your personal attacks and innuendos really show how 'independent' you're.

Are you strong, focused, and directed---don't think so, but that's open to question.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2007
@Poster

The fallacy of this thread is that it begins with a false premise.

So, no matter which ever way you want us to decipher the original intent of your arguement, it still cannot and should not survive as a fact.

You have been given the opportunity to update or change the title to reflect what you mean, yet you continue to play to the gallery.

The personal attacks, misinterpretations, and diversions characterizing the last few pages of this discussion are direct consequences of your poor self expression and articulation of ideas.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by britgirlee(f): 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2007
almond and others wink
hi girl see you have been posting very positive points and thankyou for your input
davidylan and any other persons who feel it necessary to start insulting women or others to try and get your so point call across please stay off this topic of debate.

I'm SURE others have similar thoughts.

you where not forced to post replies you did so on your own free will.

however I may not have any way to block you from posting but I will definatly not be replying to any other of your posts
its embarrassing to read and offensive.

if you still feel the need to play happy playgrounds on here as there is nothing better for you to do then feel free you will stop at some point and we will all take a breath of fresh air.

IN FACT WHY dont you post your own topics and play happily there im sure you will be comfortable.

Any way for others who have discussed the debate and have enjoyed reading and posting replies thankyou

look forward to more posts grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 8:51pm On Nov 05, 2007
naijaking1:

@almondjoy

Nne, anytime you want to get back to the topic and get off personal attacks, it's alright by me.

Your personal attacks and innuendos really show how 'independent' you're.

Are you strong, focused, and directed---don't think so, but that's open to question.

That is better!  I usually like my "men" tame and submissive! tongue  Apologies accepted! kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 8:56pm On Nov 05, 2007
britgirlee:

almond and others wink

hi girl see you have been posting very positive points and thankyou for your input

davidylan and any other persons who feel it necessary to start insulting women or others to try and get your so point call across please stay off this topic of debate.

I'm SURE others have similar thoughts.

you where not forced to post replies you did so on your own free will.

however I may not have any way to block you from posting but I will definatly not be replying to any other of your posts
its embarrassing to read and offensive.

if you still feel the need to play happy playgrounds on here as there is nothing better for you to do then feel free you will stop at some point and we will all take a breath of fresh air.

IN FACT WHY don't you post your own topics and play happily there im sure you will be comfortable.

Any way for others who have discussed the debate and have enjoyed reading and posting replies thankyou

look forward to more posts grin

It is all good britgirlee. You know we really love each other--just messing around as a result of long 4 days off. No work now! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by omoge(f): 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2007
LOL grin

almondjoy:

That is better! I usually like my "men" tame and submissive! tongue Apologies accepted! kiss

almondjoy, you fit kill person with laughter grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 9:15pm On Nov 05, 2007
omoge:

LOL grin

almondjoy, you fit kill person with laughter grin grin

Na wetin joblessness dey cause oh ma sister. cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 9:38pm On Nov 05, 2007
almondjoy:

That is better! I usually like my "men" tame and submissive! tongue Apologies accepted! kiss

Once again Nne, me I no see the apology-o.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 9:46pm On Nov 05, 2007
@Almondjoy

I don't know why someone compared you to Babyosis, Babeelove, and Militia.

I don't think you're Babyosis- I miss her, or Babeelove- I love her, or even Militia- I love and miss her too, because she usually has more points than you do.

Also these personae have no gender confusion issues depending on the season like you do.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by omoge(f): 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2007
hahaha, eeeeeeeee oooo. oya almondjoy reveal it now o. Nna want to know grin.
babyosisi is around as Nwando. so naijaking1, you don't have to look too far wink

@Naijaking1

Now have you decided to allow your bride to paddle the canoe? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Texcee(f): 10:18pm On Nov 05, 2007
I have to admit that a lot of us women that make our own money and are able to take care
of ourselves have a hard time seeing a man as the head of the household. It may work
out in the white community, but the same cannot be said of us blacks.
This might explain why some men tend to stray away from such women.

Even the bible says the husband is the leader among equals. God made this so for a reason.

Also, I wouldn't say Nigerian men are intimidated by these women, I think saying the men avoid such women would be
more appropriate.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 05, 2007
naijaking1:

@Almondjoy

I don't think you're Babyosis- I miss her, or Babeelove- I love her, or even Militia- I love and miss her too, because she usually has more points than you do.

Also these personae have no gender confusion issues depending on the season like you do.

The obatapipipi,killed and buried babyosisi. cry cry
Love this topic!!
This is a rough subject y'all.
I would dare to say that men,Naija and non Naija love submissive women (submissive does no mean door mat)
Every married woman who hopes to marry ought to know this.

If by a strong independent woman the poster is referring to a woman who carries a label that reads
"anything a man can do,I can do also"
I pray my brothers keep away from such sef.
If I were a man I would not go near such.
They can carry their strength somewhere else.

On the other hand,no woman should be prevented from reaching her full God-given potential.
No woman should live in an abusive relationship,physical or emotional.

Any woman who sees herself "too strong" to be a wife ought to stay unmarried
and any man with controlling,jezebelic personalities ought to stay unmarried
It's not by force.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by grafikdon: 11:07pm On Nov 05, 2007
nwando:

Love this topic!!
I would dare to say that men,Naija and non Naija love submissive women (submissive does no mean door mat)

If by a strong independent woman the poster is referring to a woman who carries a label that reads

On the other hand,no woman should be prevented from reaching her full God-given potential.

It's not by force.

What else can I say? Abeg someone give Nwando de Nwando a basket of Arochukwu coconut and a bowl of Ngwo ngwo and isi ewu!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 11:31pm On Nov 05, 2007
grafikdon:

What else can I say? Abeg someone give Nwando de Nwando a basket of Arochukwu coconut and a bowl of Ngwo ngwo and isi ewu!

You see why no one can help loving this persona (Babyosis--- Nwando reincarnation). Her power of speech, ease of communication, and ultimate mastery of self expression are invigorative.

@Nwando
Good to have you back- truely
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by naijaking1: 11:38pm On Nov 05, 2007
@Omoge
Of course she can paddle the canoe anytime, but she has to know how to do that, not just brag about it.

@Texcee
Your contribution and those of Nwando is a breath of fresh air. Not just because of the common sense approach, but because you've been able to express yourself very well.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 12:38am On Nov 06, 2007
naijaking1:

@Almondjoy

Ermmmmmmmmmm--never mind all that.  Just stay focused.  This is almondjoy.  I hope you love this one too. You do not need to look any further.

omoge:

hahaha, eeeeeeeee oooo. oya almondjoy reveal it now o. Nna want to know grin.
babyosisi is around as Nwando. so naijaking1, you don't have to look too far wink

@Naijaking1

Now have you decided to allow your bride to paddle the canoe? grin

You know holiday season is around the corner.  You do not want to turn goat meat in some body's cooking pot or dissapear, due to higher powers.  Just leave the matter ehn? Nothing to confess at all.

naijaking1:

Once again Nne, me I no see the apology-o.

Don't worry--your secret is safe. I know you do not like to broadcast things. 

naijaking1:

@Omoge
Of course she can paddle the canoe anytime, but she has to know how to do that, not just brag about it.
@Texcee
Your contribution and those of Nwando is a breath of fresh air. Not just because of the common sense approach, but because you've been able to express yourself very well.

Now you are talking.  I say do not worry.  We like to paddle canoe and do not like to brag about it.  So if we had all started like this we won't fight all this while.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by londoner: 12:40am On Nov 06, 2007
I think people have a very different interpretation of what an independent and  strong woman is. At the end of the day, every pot has its lid, some men like submissive wives who are dependent on them. Others dont, I hope you guys are not the sames one complaining of women wanting you to pay for their rent, clothes, hair etc. That seems to be the common complaint about Nigerian women on this site, yet some are now saying she should be dependent on you.

I suppose everyone has what they are suited to. For me, I could never be with a man who expects me to hide my personality and talents in order for him to feel secure as a man. I like men who are attracted to what and who I am. I like the idea of companionship, rather than the submissive wife. What both parties should submit to equally is the good of the family unit.

I like men who are independent and strong too, but then thats never a bad thing for a man is it?

@ Nwando, who said anything about being too strong to be a wife, theres no such thing IMO. Do you think being argumentative is strong? No its an inability to control emotions, that a weakness. People who know they have something important to say dont have to shout about it, but they also will be bold enough to share it.

I dont associate  femininity, wifehood or  motherhood with anything weak. Not every man is suited to every woman, but there are many men out there for whom a woman who doesn't have her own ideas, cant speak up, perpetuates this weak woman image is absolutely useless, she isn't suited to their personality. For some men, she will add nothing to ntheir life's journey.

If people think being a life partner is just about pounding fufu, wearing nice wrappers when you go out, saying "yes dear" even against your better judgement and the good of the man you profess to love, then maybe they should learn more about companionship. You should be able to draw from eachother with no hesitation. Well, at least thats the type of relationship that interests me, the other types dont interest me one bit.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 12:41am On Nov 06, 2007
nwando:

Love this topic!!

It's not by force.

We are all saying the same thing whether we use bible or Koran or freethinker logic.  Once again see definition of a "strong, independent, black woman." 

Even Jezebel had king Ahab!  cool

Everybody should just seek his or her kind. Don't need the Bible to tell me what common sense can tell even a 2 year old.  The art of self respect and respect for others. ---Upbringing more like it.  If you grow up in a home, with established standards,  based on respect and admiration, you learn from that--no bible or koran can teach you that.  You grow up with it and it becomes natural.  It stays with you because you saw your parents practice problem solving with strong communication skills. 

Texcee:

I have to admit that a lot of us women that make our own money and are able to take care
of ourselves have a hard time seeing a man as the head of the household. It may work
out in the white community, but the same cannot be said of us blacks.

This might explain why some men tend to stray away from such women.

Even the bible says the husband is the leader among equals. God made this so for a reason.

Also, I wouldn't say Nigerian men are

intimidated by these women, I

think saying the men

avoid

such women would be more appropriate.

Oh? Now we are talking of "poliical correctness"?  Why do these men tend to "stay away or avoid such women?" 

Well, since you are the "biblical kind" too--I can't fit to follow you argue too much. Because I am not into "spiritual things". 

I only consult my Bible for serious matters not one that I can easily solve by blinking. I tend to stay away from such. Let me refer to the non-biblical aspects of your post to avoid more problems.

I repeat---a household has no head or tail---only Equal partners! Even where the woman makes more money or the husband is unemployed--and vice versa!

Why would such a concept may work better in a white community and not a black community? Because-----!!!!---We all know the answer to that. I do not need to remind y'all. 

The Nigerian community lags behind the African American community is such matters---successful shamless marriages. All need to recognize that spouses are equal partners.  One person cannot do it all and cannot be the "so called head all the time" the roles change and we have to adjust without disrespect or ill-will. Nothing to brag about. Just a whole load of common sense.

This is where most men and women have problems.  Failure to recognize that you are Equal partners.  Women fight for equality and men fight for dominance.  

Not workable? If women decides to fight for dominance--this means years of resentment have been building up and they are only using their newly accquired status as "payback" time. 

Maybe the guys should have treated them better in the first place.  No woman who truly loves and respects her spouse will mistreat him or disrespect him--under most circumstances, for some mistakes may occur---no perfection anywhere.  Those are usually signs of a marriage long gone bad.

Guys listen up y'all.  If you treat your female partners better, they would treat you better in return.  With the ladies, not so lucky.  They usually have the shorter end of the stick--hence the high rate of abusive relationships in Nigerian marriages especially with all the culture and religious craps.

Men tend to be more abusive than women in a relationship--face it or not, that is the reality. A woman can still do everything right and still be treated like "dirt"--that is a typical Nigerian union for you.   Time for a new wife I guess. cheesy  Just look around you! 

The reason why black women have become "strong and independent"---fighting long standing oppression from men in society--Nothing to do with baby-mama-drama syndrome at all.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 1:25am On Nov 06, 2007
londoner:

I think people have a very different interpretation of what an independent and  strong woman is. At the end of the day, every pot has its lid, some men like submissive wives who are dependent on them. Others don't, I hope you guys are not the sames one complaining of women wanting you to pay for their rent, clothes, hair etc. That seems to be the common complaint about Nigerian women on this site, yet some are now saying she should be dependent on you.

I suppose everyone has what they are suited to. For me, I could never be with a man who expects me to hide my personality and talents in order for him to feel secure as a man.

I like men who are attracted to what and who I am.

I like the idea of companionship, rather than the submissive wife. What both parties should submit to equally is the good of the family unit.

I like men who are independent and strong too, but then thats never a bad thing for a man is it?

@ Nwando, who said anything about being too strong to be a wife, theres no such thing IMO. Do you think being argumentative is strong? No its an inability to control emotions, that a weakness. People who know they have something important to say don't have to shout about it, but they also will be bold enough to share it.

I don't associate  femininity, wifehood or  motherhood with anything weak. Not every man is suited to every woman, but there are many men out there for whom a woman who doesn't have her own ideas, can't speak up, perpetuates this weak woman image is absolutely useless, she isn't suited to their personality. For some men, she will add nothing totheir life's journey.

If people think being a life partner is just about pounding fufu, wearing nice wrappers when you go out, saying "yes dear" even against your better judgement and the good of the man you profess to love, then maybe they should learn more about companionship. You should be able to draw from eachother with no hesitation. Well, at least thats the type of relationship that interests me, the other types don't interest me one bit.

You are too much!  kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss  A lot of common sense I say.

I like to argue sha--and I cannot control ma emotions too--errrrr but im like am like that! grin

Like what you said about every pot with a lid. And liking people who are attracted to who and what you are. I love that! Do not need to change for anyone.

In the final analysis--EVERYBODY SEEK YOUR OWN KIND AND PADDLE YA OWN CANOE! kiss
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 1:33am On Nov 06, 2007

What is intimidation?
Intimidation is:

Threatening to use power or control to get others to do what you want them to do.

Using coercion or force to get what you want from others.

Making others feel like you are more powerful or forceful than what you really are.

Wearing a mask of being "untouchable'' so that people keep an emotional distance from you and yet do for you what you desire.

Using verbal and nonverbal cues to let others know[b] you are not going to reward any unfaithfulness[/b] to what you desire them to do for you.

Using verbally, physically, sexually, or emotionally abusive behaviors to get people to "stay in line.''

Using physical size, stature, and strength to get others to respect and obey you.

Using punishments such as firing, poor evaluations, divorce, spanking, physical fights to get people to do what you want.

Using quick temper, anger, or rage to get people to do what you want.

Holding your knowledge, level of education, number of degrees over the heads of others to get them to listen to and obey you.

Convincing others that you are the "only one'' with enough experience, wisdom, intellect, and insight to give direction or to have the "correct'' answers to life's problems.

Acting in such a way that no one would dare question or stand up to you over any of your decisions, opinions, or directives.

Using your money, wealth, or status to put others into their place so that your power over them is secured and not questioned.

Keeping others loyal to you by threats of pulling back your support, love, caring, interest, or approval of them.

Using dictatorial, Gestapo, or autocratic behaviors to get people to do what you want.

Unintentional verbal or nonverbal cues which put people on guard when they are with you.

http://www.coping.org/control/intimid.htm#What

Only a black man can feel these for a strong black female. cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

These apply to men not women.  I think this is what being "head of the household" entails.  Real Gestapo regime oh! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Cyclone5(m): 1:39am On Nov 06, 2007
@Allmanjoy

You too talk! tongue E be like say e don tey wey you chop beta okele last. Too much raw meat, take away and pizza don inflict you with constipation. A good movement in the other direction would really go a long way to offering some equilibrum. cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by almondjoy(f): 1:54am On Nov 06, 2007
Cyclone5:

@Allmanjoy

You too talk! tongue E be like say e don tey wey you chop beta okele last. Too much raw meat, take away and pizza don inflict you with constipation. A good movement in the other direction would really go a long way to offering some equilibrum. cheesy

God save you I have to go and watch a 2-hr Prison Break special.  E for be me and you this night! cheesy I dey go chop my own okele so go chop ya own!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Nobody: 3:02am On Nov 06, 2007
@ brtigirlee

lol
1. You have no rights to tell us to stay off a topic of debate as this is not your private blog.
2. Where have we insulted women? Pls show us and stop exhibiting your paranoia.

@ bitteralmonds
Please Nigerian women/African women qualify as "beautiful, strong, black independent females" not just our AA sisters. So davidylan stick to the topic and it includes all "black females" world wide. Abuse is real especially in Nigerian marriages. What planet are you living in? Don't you have married relatives and friends?

Where are your statistics to back up your bogus claims that abuse is real "ESPECIALLY" in Nigerian marriages? Is violence in marriage a Nigerian trait? You are very fond of making very silly and over the top statements without proof! I have married relatives and married friends, i have lived with many of them and i havent seen husbands abusive to their wives, perhaps that is endemic to ur family, pls dont generalize. . . some of us were actually born to reasonable families.

Yes, most Nigerian men treat their girlfriends or spouses like servants.

Again, got any data to back this up? How many Nigerian men with girlfriends or spouses have you met to come out with this outlandish comment?

Have you not read about the increased incidence of Nigerian men killing their spouses abroad?

Care to give us 5 examples? Enough of basing claims on one or two isolated incidents.

Let's not even discuss the "home base"--world capital of gender inequality and spousal abuse---Nigeria. You must be kidding right? Please stick to the topic. We are not only discussing African American black women.

Plainly ridiculous. You seem to lack the capacity for rational reasoning.

Yeah Righhhhhhhhhhhhht!!!--But agression is a sign of "machismo and maleness" in Men? Go figure! Funny how y'all choose to interprete your holy books! Too much testosterone can be a bad thing--y'all need to share with the "ladies"!

I repeat and Nwando has helped me reiterate. . . to marry a Nigerian male is not by force! Pls stick to sperm banks or marry foreign women. I cant see many Nigerian males who are dying to hook up with Nigerian women.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by britgirlee(f): 3:33am On Nov 06, 2007
[quote author=Texcee

Also, I wouldn't say Nigerian men are intimidated by these women, I think saying the men avoid such women would be
more appropriate

Hi Taxee,
thankyou for your input fair points made however you made a point Nigerian men "avoid such women" the question is why would they? Why should they?
The challenge?
Not wanting to face confrontation?
or trying to lay down outdated laws left by our great grandparents undecided
Fear of the unknown? i.e could that woman be more intelligent or have a more successful career pathway?
or just simply intimidated by the above.

[/quote]
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by Nobody: 3:42am On Nov 06, 2007
Can i say that i'm enjoying this farce labelled a "debate". grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by netotse(m): 3:49am On Nov 06, 2007
na wa o, e be like some of d elder bros' in this hse have been shown pepper by some 'strong independent black women'- we really need to get the definitions right and stop running around in circles cos er'body seems to meet at some point(i mean both naijaking1 and almondjoy like to paddle canoes) ad nwando came and laid down the law for us so it seems things are going fine abeg lets stop using plenty english to opress each other *me am still in school and God knows the last time i did english was 4yrs ago so how do u want me to understand?*
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by britgirlee(f): 3:51am On Nov 06, 2007
nwando:

Love this topic!!

[b]Any woman who sees herself "too strong" to be a wife ought to stay unmarried
It's not by force.

Nwando
very intresting points made and the rational behind it wink
to clarify the topic was posted looking at the women from a career aspect goal driven,intelligent respected and also contributing family member be it wife girlfriend,mother amongst others.

It has been intresting to read the diffrent interpretations of the title and answers posted which has made it all the more intresting to see how people have perceived this thread smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Men Intimidated By The Strong Independent Black Woman? by debosky(m): 3:52am On Nov 06, 2007
@ david farce is an apt description

with the likes of almondjoy raving and ranting over the men that have hurt them. . .no offence, they have the right to be pissed off, but I take umbrage when that anger is extended to all mankind nay, to me. I have my strongly held beliefs, and my mate will share and accomodate them - just like I will hers

First principle - the man is the head of the home - whether you like it or not, whether it goes down your throat like a ice cold smoothie or not, this is the established natural order (YES I said it again cheesy) - The key here is for you the woman to select a man who you are capable of submitting to and the man selecting a spouse capable of submitting to him as well.

Second principle - we are to submit to each other and love each other - unconditionally, whether in good or bad times, yielding to the person more skilled in a particular are as necessary. BUT when there is a stalemate and an agreement cannot be achieved, one person must be allowed to take the decision in the end, and that is the head, refer to principle #1

Third principle - If you don't subscribe to these views, search elsewhere for your mate, but I will not be stampeded into accepting someone else's views, In my immediate family, I can see examples of men treating their wives properly and vice versa, each allowed to develop to their potentials, but still in tough situations, I have seen intelligent and skilled people submitting (that nasty word again grin).

Note that there can never be true submission unless there is a clash/opposition of wills, the key is each person knowing when to give in.

the so called 'strong independent black woman' in US terminology as espoused by naijaking is not the kind of woman i would EVER be interested in with due respect. My mum and sisters are highly successful and intelligent ladies, yet can balance and hold down the home fort well. They are my models and I see no reason to trade them in for this pseudo-feminazi BS some people are spewing over here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba God Osun A Prostitute - Wikipedia / Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? / Origin Of The Name Aboki?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.