Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,477 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:11 PM

Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? (8983 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / President Buhari And The "Promise" Of Making $1 Equal To N1 / Buhari Never Promised APC To Make Naira Equal To Dollar – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2012
The Niger Delta is made up of different states such as Rivers, Bayelsa, Abia, Imo, Ondo, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Edo and Cross-river but it seems anything Niger Delta is brought up, ti's always about Ijaw, ijaw and Ijaw. All the freedom fighters are Ijaw. I've never seen an ikwerre ND freedom fighter, neither have i seen one from Akwa-Ibom and Cross rivers state. It also seems most of the ex-militants that are undergoing rehabilitation are all Ijaws. The Sou-south president that they've been fighting for is also Ijaw. I just seems to me that it's only Ijaws that are benefiting from this oil thingy.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 12:50am On Sep 02, 2012
No comment for you, if as old as you are you dont know who the ijaws are, i guess you'll live into ur old age with ur ignorance

7 Likes

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 2:01am On Sep 02, 2012
Before nko, they have real and fake niger deltans,they all know themselves.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by sheyguy: 4:35am On Sep 02, 2012
Ijaws are to the tribes of the Niger Delta what Fulanis are to the North. They dwell in anywhere they fing Water bodies. That's why you find them in Ondo, Edo, Delta, Rivers, and Lagos riverine areas.
They are not ND, but they are virtually all over the ND.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by tpia5: 5:13am On Sep 02, 2012
yes.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 12:54pm On Sep 19, 2012
Before people cause confusion here, let me make certain things clear.
1. Niger Delta is made up of SIX STATES; Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom & Cross Rivers.
2. Ijaws occupy a large part of the delta but are unjustly balkanized into four of these states ( Edo, Delta, Rivers & Akwa ibom) and further disjointed into the south western state of Ondo.
3. Though Ijaws are majority in the Niger Delta, they have been carved into most of these states as minorities except in Rivers & Bayelsa.
4. It is a calculated strategy by the sole beneficiaries of the niger delta oil (WAZOBIA) to weaken us politically.
5. As such, Niger deltta IS NOT EQUAL TO Ijaw. We know our boundaries and we respect the integrity of our neighbours whom we share the Delta with.
6. We are not a troublesome, bloodthirsty or warlike people, we are peace loving. All negative reports about Ijaws fighting with neighbours was as a result of certain machinations of political majorities within the state to claim lands belonging to the helpless but powerful Ijaw minorities.Eg Binis in Edo, Ilajes in Ondo, Itsekiris & Urhobos (Aladja) in Delta etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2012
ijaw citizen: Before people cause confusion here, let me make certain things clear.
1. Niger Delta is made up of SIX STATES; Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom & Cross Rivers.
2. Ijaws occupy a large part of the delta but are unjustly balkanized into four of these states ( Edo, Delta, Rivers & Akwa ibom) and further disjointed into the south western state of Ondo.
3. Though Ijaws are majority in the Niger Delta, they have been carved into most of these states as minorities except in Rivers & Bayelsa.
4. It is a calculated strategy by the sole beneficiaries of the niger delta oil (WAZOBIA) to weaken us politically.
5. As such, Niger deltta IS NOT EQUAL TO Ijaw. We know our boundaries and we respect the integrity of our neighbours whom we share the Delta with.
6. We are not a troublesome, bloodthirsty or warlike people, we are peace loving. All negative reports about Ijaws fighting with neighbours was as a result of certain machinations of political majorities within the state to claim lands belonging to the helpless but powerful Ijaw minorities.Eg Binis in Edo, Ilajes in Ondo, Itsekiris & Urhobos (Aladja) in Delta etc
mr man you 're a deranged illiterate with enormous ignorance. Niger delta is made up of nine states, while the south south is made up of 6 states. Get that into your thick concrete skull. And the ijaws arent the majority in Rivers state. The Igbo's are

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by wirinet(m): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
INNO18: mr man you 're a deranged illiterate with enormous ignorance. Niger delta is made up of nine states, while the south south is made up of 6 states. Get that into your thick concrete skull. And the ijaws arent the majority in Rivers state. The Igbo's are

dont mind them, with all their properganda. Ijaws are exactly like the fulanis, who also claim majority, while they are not much in terms of population. How can someone say ijaws are majority in delta state? How many major ijaw towns and villages are there in delta state? Where would you put the urhobos, the isokos, the igbos, are they minority to the ijaws? Same in edo, ondo and rivers states, how many populated ijaw town and villages are in those states. The only state where ijaws are majority is bayelsa state.
The advantage the ijaws and the fulanis have is that they like to employ violence to promote their interest and nigeria rewards violence rather that peaceful mean or diplomatic means.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 2:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
ijaw citizen: Before people cause confusion here, let me make certain things clear.

You just wrote your personal feelings as facts in the above.

1)Many ethnic groups were balkanized in Niger Delta. The Igbos are found in Rivers, Delta, Edo and Akwa-Ibom State. They are one-third in Delta, minority in Edo,Half of Rivers and few villages in Akwa-Ibom. They are however majority in Imo and Abia States.

2) Some smaller ethnic groups were balkanized as well. Isoko are split between Delta and Bayelsa while Andoni is split between Rivers and Akwa-Ibom.Ekpeye and Engenni is split between Rivers and Bayelsa.

3) The only truth is that if Niger Delta is defined strictly on the coastal and creek areas, it is by far majority Ijaw but if upland is added, then Igbo, Efik/Ibibio/Annang, Edo and others are either equal or more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ochukoccna: 4:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
No when its time to fight political battles undecided undecided
Yes when its time to eat from the national cake, share 'oyel' money and ask for resource control shocked shocked

afam4eva: It also seems most of the ex-militants that are undergoing rehabilitation are all Ijaws. The Sou-south president that they've been fighting for is also Ijaw. I just seems to me that it's only Ijaws that are benefiting from this oil thingy.
Succinct Observation wink
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 6:44pm On Sep 19, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] I'M SADDENED, BY THE LOW LEVEL OF MATURITY & HIGH LIVEL OF ILLITERACY DISPLAYED HERE. TO SAY THE LEAST, I'M DISAPPOINTED AT YOU ALL. SO DISGUSTING (SPITS)
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 6:49pm On Sep 19, 2012
Afam4eva, you are a big disappointment to humanity, how much happiness do you derive from antagonizing and hating Ijaws. I dont really have anything to tell you.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 8:45pm On Sep 19, 2012
Niger-Delta: Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states.
South-South: Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta and Edo states.
Oil Producing States: Imo, Abia, Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Ondo (Edo and Cross River).
@Topic, though there are so many ethnic groups in the Niger Delta, the Ijaw is the largest.
In the South South, it is not clear which ethnic group is the largest. Ndigbo, Efik-Ibibio, Ijaw and Edo are large groups. They all have populations of over 4 million each.

7 Likes

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Tittos: 12:13am On Sep 20, 2012
Niger Delta is made up of nine states..Ondo,Imo and Owerri are Niger Delta states.there is a difference between south-south geo political zone and niger delta..niger delta states are states found acrosss the Delta of river Niger,they all have oil in commercial deposit..go do your research bro..
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 6:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
Tittos:
Niger Delta is made up of nine states..Ondo,Imo and Owerri are Niger Delta states.there is a difference between south-south geo political zone and niger delta..niger delta states are states found acrosss the Delta of river Niger,they all have oil in commercial deposit..go do your research bro..
Boy, am from Imo state and I know about my state as well as Abia state very well. I have equally read the works of K. Dike about Niger-Delta. Imo and Abia as well as Akwa Ibom are oil producing state but has nothing to do with Niger Delta. By Niger delta, it is where the Niger River empties into the atlantic ocean from different estuaries. They are in Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa states.

1 Like

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Boy, am from Imo state and I know about my state as well as Abia state very well. I have equally read the works of K. Dike about Niger-Delta. Imo and Abia as well as Akwa Ibom are oil producing state but has nothing to do with Niger Delta. By Niger delta, it is where the Niger River empties into the atlantic ocean from different estuaries. They are in Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa states.
THis is not about what Niger-Delta means but what that name depicts in the Nigerian context. Niger-Delta simply means oil producing areas.

1 Like

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by AndreUweh(m): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
afam4eva:
THis is not about what Niger-Delta means but what that name depicts in the Nigerian context. Niger-Delta simply means oil producing areas.
You are right Afam.
But originally, the Niger Delta refers to areas now in Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states. Apart from European explorers, geographers and historians, our own Kenneth Dike and Obaro Ikime have carried out ground works in the Niger-Delta region. They never saw it as outside the states I have mentioned here-Bayelsa, Rivers and Delta states.
Udo diri gi.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 7:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
Andre Uweh:
You are right Afam.
But originally, the Niger Delta refers to areas now in Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states. Apart from European explorers, geographers and historians, our own Kenneth Dike and Obaro Ikime have carried out ground works in the Niger-Delta region. They never saw it as outside the states I have mentioned here-Bayelsa, Rivers and Delta states.
Udo diri gi.

That's the simple truth but oil politics has killed our common sense. South-South upland is in the fringe of the Delta but is not in the core. The core is obviously in Bayelsa and parts of Rivers and Delta States and is mostly inhabited by ethnic Ijaws and their sub-groups.

1 Like

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 9:57pm On Sep 20, 2012
Abagworo:

That's the simple truth but oil politics has killed our common sense. South-South upland is in the fringe of the Delta but is not in the core. The core is obviously in Bayelsa and parts of Rivers and Delta States and is mostly inhabited by ethnic Ijaws and their sub-groups.
AT LAST, AN IGBO GUY IS NOW CORRECTING THE BLUNDERS OF HIS FELLOW IGBO. I WISH TO SEE MORE OF THIS.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by dayokanu(m): 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2012

Na wa ooo. From thread to thread.

What happened to the SE/SS alliance? Or was it just a means for the notorious parasite to feed off another group?

1 Like

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by cantell(m): 10:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Bro, you wrong. You have to deal with facts not from what you think.
Niger delta was made up of three states until the year 2000 when Obj added six more states to it.
Get your facts right and don't argue blindly.
Here's a link that will help you:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_Delta
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by cantell(m): 10:25pm On Sep 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Na wa ooo. From thread to thread.

What happened to the SE/SS alliance? Or was it just a means for the notorious parasite to feed off another group?
Dumb-f^ck! Move your lazy assz out of this thread!
Never seen anyone so pathetic and silly.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by dayokanu(m): 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
cantell:
Dumb-f^ck! Move your lazy assz out of this thread!
Never seen anyone so pathetic and silly.

When you are short of points resort to insults. Wetin pain you inside or shey I mention person name

Guilty conscience dey worry you.

Na PARASITES we call you don dey say "E no go better for person wey mention my name" Shey Parasite na your own name??

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 10:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
ijaw citizen: AT LAST, AN IGBO GUY IS NOW CORRECTING THE BLUNDERS OF HIS FELLOW IGBO. I WISH TO SEE MORE OF THIS.

I have my conscience bros. The truth I stand by all the time. When an Ijaw man like Killayut lies, I will correct him and same goes with my fellow Igbo or Yoruba.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 1:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
afam4eva:
DULL BOY! SO THE DAY SOKOTO AND BORNO STATES START PRODUCING OIL, THEY WILL BE PART OF NIGER DELTA ABI?
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
ijaw citizen: DULL BOY! SO THE DAY SOKOTO AND BORNO STATES START PRODUCING OIL, THEY WILL BE PART OF NIGER DELTA ABI?
Yes, they will become Niger Delta the day they start producing oil...are you too dumb to realize that Niger Delta is used to describe oil producing states? It seems you're mistaking south-south with ND.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 3:12pm On Sep 24, 2012
grin grin
afam4eva:
Yes, they will become Niger Delta the day they start producing oil...are you too dumb to realize that Niger Delta is used to describe oil producing states? It seems you're mistaking south-south with ND.
lol.... grin
afam4eva:
lol.... grin i never realized that you're a comedian!

1 Like

Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
dears noting like niger delta please note is Biafra and not niger delta note abia and ondo don't speak same with d ijaw so stop confusing urself ondo is not a biafran state please try to understand
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by kingzizzy: 1:02am On Oct 31, 2015
Afam4eva:

My state, Anambra, is oil producing. Are we Niger-Delta as well?
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Ayifresh: 7:38am On Mar 07, 2017
Abagworo it seems you dont know that Andoni is also Ijaw, if you doubt me make research, thats why ijaw is majority.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 7:45am On Mar 07, 2017
Ayifresh:
Abagworo it seems you dont know that Andoni is also Ijaw, if you doubt me make research, thats why ijaw is majority.
Andoni is mixed with Ijaw, Igbo and Ibibio.
Re: Is The Niger Delta Equal To Ijaw? by cheruv: 8:33am On Mar 07, 2017
When Boro declared his rebellion in Feb 1966, his NDR was just the Rukwo provinces of Western Ijo, Yenagwa and Degema. There was no urhobo nor itsekiri among his ranks as they belonged to either the NCNC(urhobo) or AG(itsekiri)

That's why I see as being foolish any SSner who's not Rukwo claiming to be Niger Delta

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari To Get Handover Note, Tour Presidential Villa May 28 / How Did EFCC Get The Key To This Safe? - Pics / Military Coup In Nigeria [[Attempted Rumor]]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.