Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? (25103 Views)

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! / Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by charlsecy4(m): 6:12pm On Mar 20, 2012
I have read even in newspapers where writers mistake dowry for bride price.

What is common between Dowry and Bride Price?

Both are payments, monetary or in kind, or both, made for marriage rites purposes.

What is the difference between Dowry and Bride Price?

Bride Price is an amount of money or property paid by the man (bridegroom or groom) or his family to the family of the woman (bride) upon the marriage of the woman to the man.

Dowry refers to property or money brought by a bride [or her family] to her husband on their marriage.

Some cultures simultaneously practice both.
Does your culture allow the payment of both, or only one of them?
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by kelz88(f): 6:16pm On Mar 20, 2012
Hmmm. Same difference! They both refer to the same thing according to your definition. Just from/to different people. Didn't know the woman paid anything to the guy's family. Interesting!

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by charlsecy4(m): 8:25pm On Mar 20, 2012
Didn't know the woman paid anything to the guy's family.

I think Igbo people [or at least some parts] practise both; bride price and dowry. I could remember when my sister got married, bride price, of course, was paid by the groom. But during mbata (formal introduction of in-laws), lots of gifts such as gas cooker, cooler, fridge, mortar and pestle, bed, car, etc. were given by my family. Its essence was that my sister should start a family with her husband with those items. However, we attach more importance to bride price.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by kelz88(f): 9:07pm On Mar 20, 2012
I don't think anyone should be given a list. They should give what they can /what they want to. I feel sorry for guys. Spend spend spend! Will they ever be able to save?! cry So if after the introduction they don't end up getting married do they have to return the stuff?

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by Yorisb: 1:58pm On Mar 21, 2012
kelz88: I don't think anyone should be given a list. They should give what they can /what they want to. I feel sorry for guys. Spend spend spend! Will they ever be able to save?! cry So if after the introduction they don't end up getting married do they have to return the stuff?

Thank u Sis! cry *Wipes my teary eyes with my dusty brown handkerchief*

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Mar 21, 2012
kelz88: I don't think anyone should be given a list. They should give what they can /what they want to. I feel sorry for guys. Spend spend spend! Will they ever be able to save?! cry So if after the introduction they don't end up getting married do they have to return the stuff?
Sorry for which guys?
Its very funny when people step into a strangers funeral then go ahead to roll on the floor and wail more than the bereaved!

Who asked or needs your "sorry" ?

@Topic,Nice one.Never spotted the difference between the 2 terms.
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by Beaf1: 3:01pm On Mar 21, 2012
That is the reason i will be marrying my fulani girl as a wife. N10k is ok for bride price
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by Beaf1: 3:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
ifyalways:
Sorry for which guys?
Its very funny when people step into a strangers funeral then go ahead to roll on the floor and wail more than the bereaved!

^^
And when men says they own you you become confused.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by ifyalways(f): 3:07pm On Mar 21, 2012
seun and NL2 sucks.
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by ifyalways(f): 3:08pm On Mar 21, 2012
@Beaf,i thought u are already married?You bought and own "Your" wife and sorry if your wife is "confused" about that.

I love the bride prize concept.Make my sons grow quick so we can go pay Odunnu,Uju and Jenny's daughters bride prizes.N1 per head.LMAO
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by kelz88(f): 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
ifyalways:
Sorry for which guys?

Really?! @ bolded.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

Crappy culture has rinsed men dry and if you refuse to see this then you are either in denial or choose to be st[i]u[/i]pid.
Your kind will overly demand. Keep it up. Good luck to the people that marry you.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 21, 2012
say no to payment a bride price, we should start a movement against bride price

1 Like

Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by Yorisb: 5:28pm On Mar 21, 2012
kelz88:

Really?! @ bolded.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

Crappy culture has rinsed men dry and if you refuse to see this then you are either in denial or choose to be st[i]u[/i]pid.
Your kind will overly demand. Keep it up. Good luck to the people that marry you.

*Like*
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by charlsecy4(m): 7:59am On Aug 24, 2012
kelz88: So if after the introduction they don't end up getting married do they have to return the stuff?
The mbata "introduction" usually occurs after marriage, especially the traditional one.

Talking about bride price; the family of the bride has to repay the bride price to the groom's family if the marriage fails. If not, the woman is still traditionally the husband's wife.
Re: Bride Price And Dowry; the Difference And Similarity. Which do you practice? by BALLERON(m): 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2015
Educate us more on this topic if you have experience.

(1) (Reply)

Whats Your Pet Name For Your Spouse? / Lagos Pastor In Divorce Mess: He Steals Church Funds Says Wife / More Than 200,000 Children Married In US Over The Last 15 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.