Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,140 members, 7,780,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:17 AM

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (69497 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Lecturing Career. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 1:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
How does one start/pursue a university lecturing career?

Pls, pour in your thoughts here. I wish to start a career in the academia born out of pure passion for teaching.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 7:29pm On Mar 22, 2012
Mcleo007: The subject of this thread refers.

Pls, pour in your thoughts here. I wish to start a career in the academia born out of pure passion for teaching.

Lecturing at a Nigerian University is the easiest job to get if you have a PhD. There are too many universities in Naija with MSc holders running things. Go and pursue a PhD. And try to publish papers in quality journals while on the PhD. There is no long story in it.Publishing in good journals will distinguish you from 80% of Nigerian lecturers. In fact, it will make you a researcher as opposed to a mere lecturer. You will be way ahead of your set.

About a PhD, you can do it straight out of BSc if you have an exceptional BSc result. However, if your BSc is normal, then you will have to go for your Master's before starting the PhD. If it is at a university in Naija you want to do the PhD, then you will need to have a minimum of 4.00/5.00 or equivalent in your Master's before you will be accepted. A place like Lag does not joke with this requirement. Anything greater than 3.00 but less than 4.00 would mean that you would have to do an MPhil before starting your PhD. Again, my view is based on Unilag.

If I were you, and I have a minimum of 2.1 or very good 2.2, I would aim for a good Research University abroad. That way, one would broaden one's chances of getting a lecturing/research postion even outside the shores of naija.

What field of research are you interested in? If you are really interested in this lecturing thingy, I suggest you take the GRE and TOEFL, ace them and apply to schools in the US. Depending on how strong your application is, you could apply to the top 20 US universities and be accepted by at least one of them. Forget UK. Other EU countries are even better. I am planning on writing an article on that UK of a country very soon.

Indeed we need people that are interested in lecturing/research to go into the profession. Not people that could not get top oil and gas jobs. Many universities in Naija are filled with people like these. They are the ones that bad belle smart students for no reason. If your desire is indeed genuine, then I wish you all the best.

T22

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 11:30pm On Mar 22, 2012
@Tanimola, your words are kind and insightful. I will take your advice to heart.
But then, with my BSc, is there a chance I can get a graduate assistant position (unilag in mind). My thought here is, so I can familiarise myself with the academia as I gladly start up my MSc programme? I wouldn't mind taking peanuts as pay, I just enjoy being in school and impacting knowledge. I read philosophy at bsc level and intend continuing in that line.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 10:16am On Mar 23, 2012
Hi, Master's in Philosophy is MA. Please take note.

Those profs will most times have to know you before they allow you work as an assistant. They would want to be sure that you won't be bedding those chicks for good marks (I regret the harsh words here). Many assistants are guilty of this.

Start by visiting the department and speaking with the profs there. I know a guy who just concluded his MA in Philosophy, Lag. I will speak to him and obtain the names of professors who are open to speaking with prospective graduate students. What you will do afterwards is to visit these profs and initiate intellectual talks with them. We had two guys who were assistants to a lecturer in our department, just because they graduated from the lecturer's Alma mater.

Start networking, but don't tell them that your long term plan is to usurp their positions. Just discuss general Philosophy with them and express your keenness in pursuing further studies in the field.

I think the school has even started selling PG School Application Forms. Check to confirm.

T22.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2012
Thanks a millie sir. I can't tell how much Ur suggestions have effected in me.
I'm aware masters in Philosophy is MA, though in some schools it is MSc (they combine it with pol science). Nonetheless, I look forward to getting the contacts you spoke of. That will go a long way to help my course.
Once again, thanks.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 2:40pm On Mar 23, 2012
Mcleo007: Thanks a millie sir. I can't tell how much Ur suggestions have effected in me.
I'm aware masters in Philosophy is MA, though in some schools it is MSc (they combine it with pol science). Nonetheless, I look forward to getting the contacts you spoke of. That will go a long way to help my course.
Once again, thanks.

Alright, thanks for letting me know that Philosophy is combined with Political Science at some schools. I did not know that.

I have contacted the guy. I will send you the names and office numbers of the profs when he responds.

T22.

@all: T22 and many others like him are always available to answer your questions in the CAREER SECTION of Nairaland. Please learn to visit that section daily! Thanks, Mod.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pdpiperpippen: 2:50pm On Mar 23, 2012
So u wan go tidy all the chicks wey dey our campus ba, cme hia dey form say u wan be lecturer, aids is real!
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by stepo707: 3:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
pd piper pippen: So u wan go tidy all the chicks wey dey our campus ba, cme hia dey form say u wan be lecturer, aids is real!
He hasn't said that ,has he?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 23, 2012
Well i dont know the university you finished from, but there are some that will accept you as a GA (Graduate Assistant) and they'll kindof attach you to a prof. At this stage you should register for M.Sc in that same university. You'll also be able to teach/treat tutorial questions and answer to Year1 or Year2 students. At the end of your M.Sc, you would have known many people, most especially the non-academics, so as to help you with conversion as a lecturer.

I hope this helps.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by binigirl(f): 3:24pm On Mar 23, 2012
T22, ur comments are quite insightful...
@OP, d PG forms 4 Unilag are not on sale yet cos i also want to apply...also thanks for this post, it has help me as well cos i actually have a passion for lecturin and i plan on pursuing also.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Damolux01(m): 3:51pm On Mar 23, 2012
This T22 ȋ̝̊̅§ just too much..so insightful, motivating, inspiring and encouraging...aff been observing u̶̲̥̅̊ ever since..(.esp d̶̲̥̅̊ economist thread)...kudos sir!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2012
Nice thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Cuteobi(f): 3:52pm On Mar 23, 2012
tanimola22:

Lecturing at a Nigerian University is the easiest job to get if you have a PhD. There are too many universities in Naija with MSc holders running things. Go and pursue a PhD. And try to publish papers in quality journals while on the PhD. There is no long story in it.Publishing in good journals will distinguish you from 80% of Nigerian lecturers. In fact, it will make you a researcher as opposed to a mere lecturer. You will be way ahead of your set.

About a PhD, you can do it straight out of BSc if you have an exceptional BSc result. However, if your BSc is normal, then you will have to go for your Master's before starting the PhD. If it is at a university in Naija you want to do the PhD, then you will need to have a minimum of 4.00/5.00 or equivalent in your Master's before you will be accepted. A place like Lag does not joke with this requirement. Anything greater than 3.00 but less than 4.00 would mean that you would have to do an MPhil before starting your PhD. Again, my view is based on Unilag.

If I were you, and I have a minimum of 2.1 or very good 2.2, I would aim for a good Research University abroad. That way, one would broaden one's chances of getting a lecturing/research postion even outside the shores of naija.

What field of research are you interested in? If you are really interested in this lecturing thingy, I suggest you take the GRE and TOEFL, ace them and apply to schools in the US. Depending on how strong your application is, you could apply to the top 20 US universities and be accepted by at least one of them. Forget UK. Other EU countries are even better. I am planning on writing an article on that UK of a country very soon.

Indeed we need people that are interested in lecturing/research to go into the profession. Not people that could not get top oil and gas jobs. Many universities in Naija are filled with people like these. They are the ones that bad belle smart students for no reason. If your desire is indeed genuine, then I wish you all the best.

T22

Thanks a bunch for the info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Don1Dee(m): 4:04pm On Mar 23, 2012
@ T22, can u shed light on ten top Universities in U.S for postgraduate studies in Education with particular interest in Early Childhood Education, Child and Developmental psychology. Plz give hint on estimated finance involved if possible.

Tnx.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by olusogo: 4:27pm On Mar 23, 2012
Sir, could you kindly advise me on the next step I can take. I am currently working as a Business Development Executive in an IT company but I studied Agricultural Extension with B.Sc and M.Sc degrees. In M.Sc I had M.Phil/Ph.D grade. I am not satisfied with my current job because it is not my background. I am confused now that I am married with two kids, I want to go back to school. How do I sustained my family, with M.Phil/Ph.D grade, how do I continue?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by neymar11: 4:28pm On Mar 23, 2012
Well i dont know the university you finished from, but there are some that will accept you as a GA (Graduate Assistant) and they'll kindof attach you to a prof.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 4:28pm On Mar 23, 2012
pd piper pippen: So u wan go tidy all the chicks wey dey our campus ba, cme hia dey form say u wan be lecturer, aids is real!

U just made me laugh. grin

Thanks for the post.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by JFACTOR1(m): 4:30pm On Mar 23, 2012
@ T22 what do you think about education in Ukraine. I just rounded off my B.Sc programme in Microbiology with a G.P of 4.2.I intend going to Ukraine for my medical programme.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2012
tanimola22:

Alright, thanks for letting me know that Philosophy is combined with Political Science at some schools. I did not know that.

I have contacted the guy. I will send you the names and office numbers of the profs when he responds.

T22.

I can't appreciate u enough sir!

Here is my email for the contact; [email]mcleodavids2@yahoo.co.uk[email]

God bless.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2012
@T22

in as much as your comments have been insightful to some concerned members of the forum with respect to this topic, i take a demur on your bias about the UK. if I may ask, what exactly is the basis for repudiating UK PhD programmes. you described it as a 'no go' zone to prospective researchers. please nail your colours to the mast and be very objective in doing so. I am currently a PhD student in Uk and I can confidently recommend the UK to ANYONE who is willing to pursue a research degree. their research protocol is thorough and all schools here in the UK build studies solidly on consolidated research paradigms. social research has gone beyond what you think. as far as i'm concerned, if what i'm facing here currently is used as a 'touchstone', i can boldly conclude without reservations that most research publications in Nigeria are not just worth it. forget the copy and paste studies you glorify in Nigeria Universities. how many of such studies meet international requirements and standards, yet you recommend Nigerian universities over Uk. Guy, I can't believe those words actually came out from you. I'm ashamed of you if you are currently doing a research in Unilag.

to many out there who wish to conduct any piece of research thoroughly with adequate supervision and those who hope to gain indepth knowledge about contemporary research paradigms, the UK is the place to be. others include US, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany e.t.c. I'll encourage you to take that bold step and apply. you can get funds if you try. mine is fully funded. all i can say is brace up yourselves because it's really tough, challenging and demanding..but you'll be glad you did. there are up to date data analysis softwares here in the Uk..name it, SPSS, Envivo, EPI-info etc. you'll save yourself good time because the duration of the programs usually take 3yrs in contrast to 4yr program in US and 7yrs in Nigeria! - due to strike and unwarranted delays/frustrations from Nigerian supervisors. I am not trying to paint a grim picture of the quality of studies in Nigeria here, but wait a minute, if the truth must be told and if we are sincere with ourselves, we all know what is obtainable in Nigeria as far as education is concerend. I've seen the difference and i must tell you all who care to listen that we have a LONG way to go in that country!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 4:38pm On Mar 23, 2012
neymar11: Well i dont know the university you finished from, but there are some that will accept you as a GA (Graduate Assistant) and they'll kindof attach you to a prof.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]

I finished with a GP of 4.3 in a state university in the East. Would have been easy to continue my masters there and possibly blend in the academia over there in my alma mater, but I can't leave my current location for that now. I reside in Lagos and prefer it here.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 5:02pm On Mar 23, 2012
@
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2012
pato405: @T22

in as much as your comments have been insightful to some concerned members of the forum with respect to this topic, i take a demur on your bias about the UK. if I may ask, what exactly is the basis for [b]repudiating UK PhD programmes. you described it as a 'no go' zone to prospective researchers.[/b] please nail your colours to the mast and be very objective in doing so. I am currently a PhD student in Uk and I can confidently recommend the UK to ANYONE who is willing to pursue a research degree. their research protocol is thorough and all schools here in the UK build studies solidly on consolidated research paradigms. social research has gone beyond what you think. as far as i'm concerned, if what i'm facing here currently is used as a 'touchstone', i can boldly conclude without reservations that most research publications in Nigeria are not just worth it. forget the copy and paste studies you glorify in Nigeria Universities. how many of such studies meet international requirements and standards, yet you recommend Nigerian universities over Uk. Guy, I can't believe those words actually came out from you. I'm ashamed of you if you are currently doing a research in Unilag.

to many out there who wish to conduct any piece of research thoroughly with adequate supervision and those who hope to gain indepth knowledge about contemporary research paradigms, the UK is the place to be. others include US, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany e.t.c. I'll encourage you to take that bold step and apply. you can get funds if you try. mine is fully funded. all i can say is brace up yourselves because it's really tough, challenging and demanding..but you'll be glad you did. there are up to date data analysis softwares here in the Uk..name it, SPSS, Envivo, EPI-info etc. you'll save yourself good time because the duration of the programs usually take 3yrs in contrast to 4yr program in US and 7yrs in Nigeria! - due to strike and unwarranted delays/frustrations from Nigerian supervisors. I am not trying to paint a grim picture of the quality of studies in Nigeria here, but wait a minute, if the truth must be told and if we are sincere with ourselves, we all know what is obtainable in Nigeria as far as education is concerend. I've seen the difference and i must tell you all who care to listen that we have a LONG way to go in that country!

I have not read your write-up, but I quickly saw two things. One, could you show me where I asked people to choose Naija Universities over UK Universities? How could you quickly conclude that I repudiated UK research programs? Two, have you allowed me finish the article I said I wanted to write about the UK?

In all regard for a fellow researcher, I must say you just committed an error of quick generalization or judgment. I know why I hold the UK not too high there, definitely not because of academic quality. Even my grandmother knows that the worst schools in the UK are superior to Naija schools.

Please let me end and don't say what I never declared.

Thank you,
T22.

15 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by IbroSaunks(m): 5:13pm On Mar 23, 2012
@T22

Nice comments there! Why do you think the UK isn't good option? I know you intend to write something about it but what are the main points?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by IbroSaunks(m): 5:16pm On Mar 23, 2012
oops, i see someone has already asked..
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 5:33pm On Mar 23, 2012
olusogo: Sir, could you kindly advise me on the next step I can take. I am currently working as a Business Development Executive in an IT company but I studied Agricultural Extension with B.Sc and M.Sc degrees. In M.Sc I had M.Phil/Ph.D grade. I am not satisfied with my current job because it is not my background. I am confused now that I am married with two kids, I want to go back to school. How do I sustained my family, with M.Phil/Ph.D grade, how do I continue?

Hi,

Try to visit the university/universities where you would like to do your PhD. Ask them if they employ PhD students as graduate research assistants/junior lecturers. If they do, then you surely will not have any problems. All you just need to do is to identify a professor whose area of research fits what you want to do. Then purchase the PhD application form, fill it out, submit and wait till you are either selected for the PhD or called to come and take an entrance examination. Some programs require students to take a qualifying exam before they are allowed to begin PhD.

However, if the university/universities do not employ PhD students as graduate research assistants/junior lecturers, then I am afraid. The meager amount of money you will make from tutoring will, more often than not, not be enough to manage your family. You need to be very sure before you take the bold step.

By the way, the graduate research assistants(final year MS/PhD yr 1 students),employed by the university I graduated from, were paid between 60-80K. They worked as junior lecturers teaching diploma, prelim and year 1 students. The money can go up if some rich diploma kids like you and need extra private coaching. The money you make here has no relationship with the fixed salary the school pays.

Good luck.

T22
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2012
J-FACTOR:
@ T22 what do you think about education in Ukraine. I just rounded off my B.Sc programme in Microbiology with a G.P of 4.2.I intend going to Ukraine for my medical programme.

Which particular medical programme? Mhen, this your GPA is not bad O. Did you mean going for medicine and surgery?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2012
tanimola22:

I have not read your write-up, but I quickly saw two things. One, could you show me where I asked people to choose Naija Universities over UK Universities? How could you quickly conclude that I repudiated UK research programs? Two, have you allowed me finish the article I said I wanted to write about the UK?

In all regard for a fellow researcher, I must say you just committed an error of quick generalization or judgment. I know why I hold the UK not too high there,definitely not[size=8pt][/size] because of academic quality. Even my grandmother knows that the worst schools in the UK are superior to Naija schools.

Please let me end and don't say what I never declared.

Thank you,
T22.

to the above statement in RED

1. I have not generalised in anyway. this is a qualitative dialogue and i've just interpreted your comments. there's no generalisation in qualitative approach [rule of thumb] mind you. I'm equally sure I've not drawn wrong inferences from your transcript. you clearly advised prospective researchers to steer clear without stating valid reasons. as a researcher, I'll label you as being biased. your likes will sample data to suit the end result they wish to achieve. objectivity will eventually get defeated - and this a typical reflection of the kind of studies we have back home. you have extended such prejudice to this forum. I challenge you once again to summarily state valid reasons buttressed with sufficient evidence why you will NOT recommend the Uk.

2. your second statement highlighted in red sounds so nebulous. the UK is known for outstanding journals and publications. go check the world best universities and see how UK universities compete keenly for top posts with American UNis. mind you, the Uk isn't a continent and north America is one . yet, their impact in standardised education is felt not just in Europe, but all over the world. I'm not advertising UK schools, I'm just being objective based on experience.

8 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2012
Don1Dee: @ T22, can u shed light on ten top Universities in U.S for postgraduate studies in Education with particular interest in Early Childhood Education, Child and Developmental psychology. Plz give hint on estimated finance involved if possible.

Tnx.

Hi, Don1Dee

I found this http://education-portal.com/articles/Best_Early_Childhood_Education_Programs_List_of_Top_Schools.html. I guess Vanderbilt University should be cheapest compared to others.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ahamdiheme: 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2012
A PhD is definitely the first step. Just like T22 pointed out, I rather obtain a PhD from the US, Australia or Canada. Some of the schools even require that you publish a top journal paper before completion of your PhD. If you have a journal publication(s) it is very likely that you also have top quality conference contributions too. The publications are evidence that you have contributed to knowledge and that is what a lecturer should do. So the number of quality publications you have will boost your chances of being employed as a lecturer any where in the world.

I am presently an Engineering PhD student in Turkey and it is far better than Nigeria. It is possible to do your research under the guidance of a professor who has funding for his research work. Such professors advertise positions like job openings so if you make a nice application, you can get accepted by the professor and most likely by the university as well. The thing to do is, identify a University, then the department, then faculty members. Most faculty members have a webpage where they announce all sort of stuff including open positions in research projects for PhD students (Some even want Masters students as well). The pay is usually just enough, call it a stipend if you like. The good thing is you do not have to pay huge the tuition fees while you do your research.

I am not sure but I do not think we have any internationally recognized journal in Nigeria so a lot of the Nigerian based researchers have publish stuff that are not even good enough for an international conference. I strongly discourage a PhD in Nigeria, an MSc or MA is bad enough! With good grades and a thorough search you can find a good school in Europe or America with funding. Again, funding opportunities in the UK are very limited and the tuition fees are sky high.

I want to continue research but I know it is not far from being a lecturer so I do not mind lecturing either.

I wish you all the best!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by babeface3: 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2012
I graduated from a state university in Nigeria, and currently running my LLM in Europe, I have spoken to a professor at UNILAG concerning a possible lecturing assistance job while I run a PHD in the school and he answered in affirmative. I am wondering how easy and effective this option could be.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2012
ahamdiheme: A PhD is definitely the first step. Just like T22 pointed out, I rather obtain a PhD from the US, Australia or Canada. Some of the schools even require that you publish a top journal paper before completion of your PhD. If you have a journal publication(s) it is very likely that you also have top quality conference contributions too. The publications are evidence that you have contributed to knowledge and that is what a lecturer should do. So the number of quality publications you have will boost your chances of being employed as a lecturer any where in the world.

I am presently an Engineering PhD student in Turkey and it is far better than Nigeria. It is possible to do your research under the guidance of a professor who has funding for his research work. Such professors advertise positions like job openings so if you make a nice application, you can get accepted by the professor and most likely by the university as well. The thing to do is, identify a University, then the department, then faculty members. Most faculty members have a webpage where they announce all sort of stuff including open positions in research projects for PhD students (Some even want Masters students as well). The pay is usually just enough, call it a stipend if you like. The good thing is you do not have to pay huge the tuition fees while you do your research.

I am not sure but I do not think we have any internationally recognized journal in Nigeria so a lot of the Nigerian based researchers have publish stuff that are not even good enough for an international conference. I strongly discourage a PhD in Nigeria, an MSc or MA is bad enough! With good grades and a thorough search you can find a good school in Europe or America with funding. Again, funding opportunities in the UK are very limited and the tuition fees are sky high.

I want to continue research but I know it is not far from being a lecturer so I do not mind lecturing either.

I wish you all the best!

I can see a lot of students are really scared of coming to the UK. grin grin grin grin grin grin why is the UK not in your list?

your second coments in red:

infact, I couldn't have said it better. I find it very difficult to accept validity and reliability of any piece of PhD thesis written in Nigeria. I'm really sorry to say but it's the painful truth. it often lacks depth and quality. more often than not, the principles and precepts of the research paradigms are carelessly flung out through academic windows with utmost disregard. angry angry angry angry. original contribution to knowledge = Zero! it's just so frustrating!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chicken Republic Sacks Staff For Dancing On Duty / Police Rescue 600 Kano Workers Locked For 3 Months In Rice Factory / My Experience After Working For About Five Years.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.