Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:19 PM

Learning The Art Of Networking - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Learning The Art Of Networking (7291 Views)

Watch Jarus Speak On The Power Of Networking / Mastering The Art Of Small Talk. / Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning The Art Of Networking by Naijacareerist: 7:18pm On Mar 22, 2012
By Chika Uwazie

One of the keys to success is having a network that you can leverage effectively. The ability to network is truly an art that many people take for granted. Networking is not about how many business cards you can handout in a room. It is the ability to meet new people and maintain healthy relationships with them through all seasons. Remember the saying, “For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today”? You must build your network before you need it.

Countless times I see people trying to go to as many networking events as they can because they lost their job, or because they just graduated. Networking is a behavior that should be ingrained in your DNA in order to properly leverage its benefits. Networking can be a daunting task, especially for those that are considered introverts. If you follow these guidelines, you’ll definitely come off better and become a networking guru. Before you know it you will have a network that spans across the globe.

1. Take a friend with you to a networking event. It can help ease the tension of meeting new people. You can also use this tactic to dived and conquered and exchange contacts as you meet them.

2. If you must go to a networking event and you are not sure if you will know anyone there, wear an interesting item like a pin or another article of clothing that stick out. It is a great way to lure people to you to spark up a conversation.

3. When you introduce yourself do not just right away reveal your title. You never know when things can change in your life, and you do not want people to remember you forever as “the medical student.” Instead take this opportunity to reveal something interesting you do- like run a blog or lead a nonprofit organization. Then casually introduce your title (work).

4. Use your business cards. Hand them out to people you made solid connections with after a conversation. Do not hand it out to every person you meet unless you are in the sales industry. It is never about quantity but quality. What is the point of having thousands of contacts if only 50 of them hold value to you?

5. Make sure to stay connected with people you meet, it can be as simple as sending them an interesting news article you found through an email or sending them birthday wishes.

6. When you get newly acquainted with someone, do not right away ask for favors. Many people are guilty of this. Instead take the opportunity to get to know who the person is. People do expect to give out favors as well as receive them eventually.

7. Do your research before you go to an industry event. Make sure to know what news is current in today’s world. You should be able to strike up a conversation with anyone if you stay current on news stories. If you are going to an industry event that is different from your background, do a little research to understand their lingo. Nothing is more impressive than a person outside my industry who is able to have a conversation about my background.

8. Watch the body language of the new people you interact with. Do not squeeze yourself into a conversation if the group looks closed off and tight knit. If the group is facing outwards this indicates they are open to inviting more people to speak to them.

9. At the end of a panel, do not be like the other hundreds of people waiting in line to speak to the panelist. Instead stand out by either approaching them before they speak or getting their card and reconnecting with them at a different time. The truth is unless you say something striking the panelist probably will not remember you from the other people they met before and after you.

10. Never shoot someone down because you think the person is not an asset to you now. You will be surprised how handy that person can be later down the line.

11. Lastly, branch out and meet all different types of people. Your network should have a mixture of different passions, values, and backgrounds. Sometimes your contact can help another person, which can in turn help you in the long run. A colorful network will open you to many opportunities and can build long lasting friends.

What techniques have you used for networking in the past? What worked? What did not work? Share your thoughts in the comment box below! smiley

http://www.ventures-africa.com/leadership/learning-the-art-of-networking/1348

2 Likes

Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by moderattor: 7:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
Robert Kiyosaki hates the title of this thread as writen on the front page!
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by lifestyle1(m): 7:28pm On Mar 22, 2012
Great tips! cool
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by kombats: 7:36pm On Mar 22, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by jide4truth: 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2012
Nice work Chika! Keep up the good work grin
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Nollyboy147(m): 7:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
There is notin gainful their, Lol
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by kingsilly(m): 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2012
Just started thread 35minutez ago and itz in front page..msheww
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by FEMARY1: 8:16pm On Mar 22, 2012
Great tips.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by kwaghe: 8:27pm On Mar 22, 2012
Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by dridowu: 8:34pm On Mar 22, 2012
Thumbs up
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 22, 2012
this is for hustlers
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by livapul86(m): 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2012
diluminati: this is for hustlers
Young lady, its like you don't hustle. Abeg show me the way. Am very interested.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by fransois2(m): 9:57pm On Mar 22, 2012
You ought to have given credit to the original writer of this piece... I guess copyright has no meaning to you.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Seun(m): 10:01pm On Mar 22, 2012
fransois_1: You ought to have given credit to the original writer of this piece... I guess copyright has no meaning to you.
Chika Uwazie (aka NaijaCareerist) is the original writer of this piece.
She wrote it for Ventures Africa and posted it here herself, including the original link.

1 Like

Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by ushafe(m): 10:14pm On Mar 22, 2012
These are human effort, God faviour is the best but thank for the tips.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Whiteb(m): 10:29pm On Mar 22, 2012
Arew u sure
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Whiteb(m): 10:34pm On Mar 22, 2012
U min it
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Whiteb(m): 10:36pm On Mar 22, 2012
I min it
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Mcleo007(m): 11:11pm On Mar 22, 2012
Nice one
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by sunnshyn(f): 11:46pm On Mar 22, 2012
fransois_1: You ought to have given credit to the original writer of this piece... I guess copyright has no meaning to you.
You should have done your research well before posting this...

@ Op, Great tips & Right on time! Brushing up my Networking Skills, I'm so Introverted its not funny! I should read these tips along side my devotionals daily..lol

1 Like

Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Mayflowa(m): 2:01am On Mar 23, 2012

You should have done your research well before posting this...

@ Op, Great tips & Right on time! Brushing up my Networking Skills, I'm so Introverted its not funny! I should read these tips along side my devotionals daily..lol

Really? and people will think u are are snubbing o. Never ever judge peeps mehnnn!
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by BBDelta(m): 7:47am On Mar 23, 2012
moderattor: Robert Kiyosaki hates the title of this thread as writen on the front page!

Robert Kiyosaki?? Who the hell is he?? certainly not a Nigerian.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by BBDelta(m): 7:51am On Mar 23, 2012
ushafe: These are human effort, God faviour is the best but thank for the tips.

God's Favour works on what Mr Religious Ushafe, It's works on Labour and not just anykind of Labour, but Effective Labour.. a combination of Skills, Knowledge and Attitude.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Bawss1(m): 7:56am On Mar 23, 2012
moderattor: Robert Kiyosaki hates the title of this thread as writen on the front page!

Learn the art of networking to get great jobs.smiley For many people they subscribe to this narrow aim of networking and in the process end up as bugging pests to the people they meet. Networking isn't just for getting jobs it should provide one with a myriad of opportunities to do something different.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by tafiya: 8:11am On Mar 23, 2012
Nice one!
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by Jaftee(m): 8:33am On Mar 23, 2012
ushafe: These are human effort, God faviour is the best but thank for the tips.
very true
but God only inspire you, you are to play your parth.
My only problem with this is, if only its not from your heart(pretending)
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by KINGwax(m): 8:54am On Mar 23, 2012
kwaghe: Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.Nice one Chika, am surprised at how most of these tips are actually my normal ways of networking.
okay, we've heard. And we can on see you're a stammerer
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by deols(f): 9:13am On Mar 23, 2012
all tips are on point.
Re: Learning The Art Of Networking by nomshu(m): 9:49am On Mar 23, 2012
this is marvelous

(1) (2) (Reply)

Career Choice After Studying Marketing? / PHOTOS: Tuc's Food Union (FOBTOB) In An Ongoing Nationwide Industrial Action. / Standard Chartered International Graduate Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.