Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (160079 Views)

Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! / **New**Opportunity for PHYSIOLOGY ,HUMAN ANATOMY and other BSc Graduates / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 4:52pm On Mar 23, 2012
Human physiology is supposed to be one of the best basic medical course bt in nigeria, it has nt gain recognition as it is often ommitted in course of study list, e.g in navy and airforce form. Let physiologist come together to discuss the way forward and link a fellow up in available job.

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by barikay: 3:17pm On Mar 27, 2012
Exactly bro. U started a good topic. It is time to chat d way forward. Are u a bsc physiology graduate? What are u doing at the moment. What are your career plan. Start by answering and others will join
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Oracles: 10:50pm On Apr 01, 2012
With 1st degree, med rep job is readily available and u must be a go - getta. Continuing with M.Sc and Ph.d Will definitely make this basic medical science courses worthwhile and rewarding.

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 7:26am On Apr 02, 2012
As a graduate of human physiology, which course will be considered best for msc? Msc physiology or Msc pharmacology and therapeutics or even going bk to start all over again in mbbs. Basic medical science courses in nigeria need be more clinical inclined, some courses are missing in them.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Oracles: 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
Continuing with M.Sc physiology rather than pharmacology is better off for someone aspiring to lecture. Though pharmacology will be useful for in the pharmaceutical setting. But sincerely, focus is the key. In addition, physiology will be relevant in clinical field particularly in Nigeria through qualitative research effort and that can only be done through the researches in the university. How the body respond to drug intervention is Physiology. How drug intervention affects the body system is Pharmacology. Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2012
But how do u see going bk to mbbs?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Kadata(m): 2:01pm On Apr 09, 2012
Liverpoolfc: But how do u see going bk to mbbs?
. You can still go for it. Depends on what you want
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by neuronin: 8:18pm On Apr 10, 2012
My opinion is that all what we call "Basic Medical Science" courses (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology etc etc) should undergo major revisions as per their continued relevance in the Nigeria context.
Do we still need these courses? how many graduates of these degrees should we produce? who are the true employers of these people? what skill sets do they need? do we have to change titles, alter curricula and/or outrightly delete some things?
I have always been convinced that there is a serious need for The Physiological Society of Nigeria, and her counterparts in the other basic medical sciences to call a national dialogue on the future of those professions. The people who are bearing the brunt of the diminishing importance of these degrees are the younger generations of trainees, the established ones have little to bother about because there are ample teaching opportunities around for them. My prediction is that the next few generations down the road would even suffer more.
As an initial step in formally calling for a convocation to review these issues, I intend to initiate very soon a national survey to see where have all (Physiology) graduates ended in the last ten years or so and how are they doing. We would be consulting relevant industrial sectors to assess the employability of these degree holders. My hypothesis is that we do not need these degrees AS THEY ARE RIGHT NOW. I do hope the outcome would form a strong basis to draw the attention of The Physiological Society of nigeria, and schools that mass-produce these people, into a forum to channel a new course for the next generations.
If you already have a Bachelor's, my advice is to continue to doctorate level, that gives you substantial 'guarantee'; except of course you have a good job, a very good, promising job!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 3:26am On Apr 15, 2012
A state of emergency should be declared on Basic medical science in Nigeria. It should be re addressed and re structured.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Kadata(m): 5:04pm On Apr 15, 2012
Liverpoolfc: A state of emergency should be declared on Basic medical science in Nigeria. It should be re addressed and re structured.
lool.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by mycece: 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
Hello All,

Please visit: www.howtoexcelatwork.com.

The website on the classic book has just been launched. Rush over and get your copy of the FREE NEWSLETTER!

Cheers!
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by NetworkEng: 1:41pm On Apr 17, 2012
Vacancy we are urgent need for a Pharmacist to work a around amuwo odofin estate /Festact /mile 2 area kindly send Your Cv or resume cilakabest@gmail.com
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sparkle2k3: 3:42am On Apr 18, 2012
@neuronin well said

I had a bsc in physio,and went futher to get an mbbs.
But physio truly is the bedrock of medicine. A re-evaluation of the application of our graduates in the health sector in Nigeria would go a long way.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by budyke: 2:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
The situation of basic medical sciences in nigeria is quite embarasing to the holders of this digree. I have a bsc in human anatomy, and wen it comes to employment the response is 'sorry we dont need you'. We must not end up in lecture halls as lecturers, is not all of us that have that talent. The annoying part of it is that u cant even apply for direct entry in medicine in nigerian schools and be sure u will get the coourse to study once u pass the exam(do we even need to write exams!?). With my upper division degree in anatomy, i have been subjected to go back to writing JAMB and post UME, after which the profs gives the admisions to their relatives and loved ones. Am on the opinion that NUC should abolish this courses at BSC level or make it a criteria for studying medicine in nigerian univerisities. Fresh jambites cant be compared with a degree holder in d field of medicine.. Its annoyingly embarasing.

4 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2012
budyke: The situation of basic medical sciences in nigeria is quite embarasing to the holders of this digree. I have a bsc in human anatomy, and wen it comes to employment the response is 'sorry we dont need you'. We must not end up in lecture halls as lecturers, is not all of us that have that talent. The annoying part of it is that u cant even apply for direct entry in medicine in nigerian schools and be sure u will get the coourse to study once u pass the exam(do we even need to write exams!?). With my upper division degree in anatomy, i have been subjected to go back to writing JAMB and post UME, after which the profs gives the admisions to their relatives and loved ones. Am on the opinion that NUC should abolish this courses at BSC level or make it a criteria for studying medicine in nigerian univerisities. Fresh jambites cant be compared with a degree holder in d field of medicine.. Its annoyingly embarasing.
i feel your plight, its nt really easy. Graduates from basic medical science are even scared to do msc in the same course. Is it even guaranteed that job will be readily available after msc in basic medicals science course? BMS is shouting SOS.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by linton99: 10:35pm On Apr 20, 2012
Am so glad dat I av found people facing d same problems n are thinking in d same direction.pls I av also been thinkin of hw to get other BMS graduates to realise dat der's a problem.if we dnt come togeda n address It,the problem wil remain.it is nt PSN or profs of basic medical sciences dat wil solve it.if they were oportuned 2 reach dat level hw abut d thousands of graduates who dnt hav any hope of direct jobs anywhere in d country.it is high time d nigerian govt+lawmakers do smtin abut dis.u cannt graduate 4rm a course we're der ar only less dan 50 direct jobs for over 30,000 graduates every year nation wide.it is insane..!we jus av to do smtn.we copy evrytin 4rm d white.democracy,medicine,engineerin,law,etc WHY CAN'T WE COPY THEM
In BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES:we hav to do smtin,or better stil start an NGO,..am a graduate of human physiology.tanx

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by budyke: 7:19am On Apr 21, 2012
linton99: Am so glad dat I av found people facing d same problems n are thinking in d same direction.pls I av also been thinkin of hw to get other BMS graduates to realise dat der's a problem.if we dnt come togeda n address It,the problem wil remain.it is nt PSN or profs of basic medical sciences dat wil solve it.if they were oportuned 2 reach dat level hw abut d thousands of graduates who dnt hav any hope of direct jobs anywhere in d country.it is high time d nigerian govt+lawmakers do smtin abut dis.u cannt graduate 4rm a course we're der ar only less dan 50 direct jobs for over 30,000 graduates every year nation wide.it is insane..!we jus av to do smtn.we copy evrytin 4rm d white.democracy,medicine,engineerin,law,etc WHY CAN'T WE COPY THEM
In BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES:we hav to do smtin,or better stil start an NGO,..am a graduate of human physiology.tanx
[color=#000099][/color]

@ linton99.
Am solidly behind you in dis thread. What ever the way forward is letz pursue it.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sparkle2k3: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2012
@budyke
Going back for mbbs all depends on the school policy. In my sch,a bms graduate with and upper division degree gets direct entry into mbbs from 300level and its just to write the mb and move to 400level,you don't do the 300level from begining. And you do 2instead of 3 courses in the mb. You don't get to do the course you hold a degree in in the exam.
I grad from physio so in the mb all I did was anat and bch.
But all that changed last year,all ◦ †нªηк'§ ◦ to nuc wen they withdrew the sch license for over admitting.

But some other schs still take direct entry.

@the topic--- the way forward in my opinion is to restructure the bms programme and create job opportunities in the health sector for their graduates.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 8:55am On Apr 21, 2012
In the school i graduated from AAU, we were made to pay school fees 62k and other fees (exam fee=5k, registration =5h*cool the same thing mbbs students were paying bt far frm what FNS were paying just because we were considered ''special''. In reality, that was a form of obtaining by false presentation. BMS are falsely painted in school from what it really is in really. I wish the BMS students nation wide can hold a conference and invites the minister of education, senator and nuc chairman and raise this topic in the national congress.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by budyke: 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2012
sparkle2k3: @budyke
Going back for mbbs all depends on the school policy. In my sch,a bms graduate with and upper division degree gets direct entry into mbbs from 300level and its just to write the mb and move to 400level,you don't do the 300level from begining. And you do 2instead of 3 courses in the mb. You don't get to do the course you hold a degree in in the exam.
I grad from physio so in the mb all I did was anat and bch.
But all that changed last year,all ◦ †нªηк'§ ◦ to nuc wen they withdrew the sch license for over admitting.

But some other schs still take direct entry.

@the topic--- the way forward in my opinion is to restructure the bms programme and create job opportunities in the health sector for their graduates.
@ sparkle2k3, d same is the storry in uniport where i graduated with a 2.1 after enof stress and God's intervention just for dem to reverse all that policy. Right now , they dont even admit medicine again from jamb candidate or otherwise.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 9:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
i wasnt aware there's an actual degree certification in anatomy and/physiology but i do know both courses are a prerequisite for other disciplines.

i'd assume these fields of study would be useful in physiotherapy and so on.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Santi222(m): 3:15pm On Apr 22, 2012
Enuff talk, Fellow BMS graduates. Enough has been said already. What remains now is for us to really start thinking about how we are actually going to address these issues. I believe that by the time we put our heads down for some time and put our minds to task, we can come up with revolutionary ideas. Please lets think. How do we do it. We have agreed that we are going to do something already,the question now is HOW?? Lets not be like this failed country of ours that put us in this situation in the first play...All talk and no action. Whereever 2 or 3 of us can gather, lets do it, obtain ideas and inovations and pass the information on to others until we have a body large enough to create national awareness to our plight and create the desired impact. Lets use this forum to keep ourselves posted on what we are really doing in our various niches. One love all.

5 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2012
What Are the Different Types of Physiology Jobs?

Physiology jobs can be found in a wide variety of healthcare settings including hospitals and rehab centers as well as research labs and medicals schools or universities. A physiologist is a highly trained allied health professional. Typically, physiologists have completed a Master’s or Doctorate degree program in physiology from an accredited school.

Physiology professionals require knowledge of the mechanisms of the internal body to maintain the survival and functioning of an individual. Physiology jobs can be specialized to include such things as cardiology, neurology, respiratory and exercise. Each specific career path requires specialized training in the area of interest.

Physiology jobs concentrate on the body functions related to the area of expertise. Typically a physiologist helps diagnose and treat specific ailments or injuries to assist the patient to regain physical independence. Depending on the career path, some physiology jobs, such as cardiac physiologists, require extensive knowledge of invasive procedures, such as pacemaker implantation or electrophysiology where a cardiac catheter is placed to measure the electrical impulses of the heart. Their job is to monitor and assess the heart and its function for problems or defects and to assist in the recovery of cardiac incidences.

Physiology jobs in neurology concentrate on the nervous system and commonly work with people with such disorders as dementia, epilepsy and strokes. The neurophysiologist performs procedures such as EEG’s, or electroencephalography to record electrical brain activity and EMG’s, or electromyography and NCS’s, or nerve conduction studies, to record and assess nerve and muscle function. They can also perform testing during surgical procedures to decrease the risk of complications such as paralysis.

Physiology jobs focused on the respiratory system help assess and monitor ailments and diseases which may impede breathing. They commonly work with patients suffering from things like COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, asthma and infant respiratory distress syndrome. Typically a respiratory physiologist will conduct lung functioning tests, sleep studies and blood gases analyses along with being involved in the treatment protocols to assist the patient in recovery of normal breathing patterns.

Physiology jobs in exercise or sports monitor and evaluate cardiovascular and physical abilities to regain health or physical conditioning. Typically the exercise physiologist implements exercise or fitness routines specific to the goals set for the individual patient. They, like any type of physiologist, work closely with a team of healthcare professionals to assure goals of physical abilities and health are being worked towards through a comprehensive therapeutic program.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-physiology-jobs.htm

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Asis(m): 8:40am On Apr 26, 2012
Liverpoolfc: In the school i graduated from AAU, we were made to pay school fees 62k and other fees (exam fee=5k, registration =5h*cool the same thing mbbs students were paying bt far frm what FNS were paying just because we were considered ''special''. In reality, that was a form of obtaining by false presentation. BMS are falsely painted in school from what it really is in really. I wish the BMS students nation wide can hold a conference and invites the minister of education, senator and nuc chairman and raise this topic in the national congress.
i wonder...What has become of the basic medical sciences..I suppose there is a B because there is an A and there has 2 be a C for there to be a D..Y should a man be left to study a course in any of d BMS and no provision is made for such an individual after graduation...D reality on ground poses a real threat..As one of u rightly said should everybody end up as lecturals..Y r there no work places for this various discipline in BMS damn..Enough of dealing wit d abstract we need a revolution,we really need to make a move,lets call for a conference...Lets make dat call...Cheers
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by linton99: 12:17pm On Apr 26, 2012
My suggestions: 1.govt owned research centers should b established and BMS graduates should be employed to continously carry out and further research wks.research dat has to do with non living tins like satelite,nuclear,etc al av centers dat is govt sponsored but d govt can't av centers for research on human lives .Wat an irony

2.BMS graduates who wish to lecture should b employed as graduate assistants in d universities without askin them to do masters first..even doctors after 6yrs go in 4 housemanship and practice while t
furtherin their studies
3.BMS graduates should come togeda and form an NGO seek foriegn sponsors and start a defined program..tanx

4 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 3:43pm On Apr 26, 2012
The question now is, how do we relay this message to those that are in position to effect these changes. How do we get NUC chairman, minister of education, HODs' of BMS in various schools?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by confy911(m): 3:30am On May 05, 2012
I am to graduate with a degree in physiology dis year from AAU...1 major problem i tink physiology is having is awareness n proper publicity..I am in a college of medicine where i pay like other medical student bt suffer relegation.I remember fully well dat i knew physiology after i ws admitted..i think d solution to dis problem is d establishment of a physiology council jst like d medical laboratory council of Nigeria..Only this council can help fight dis course..A council dat will b recognised by Law..A pharmacology lecturer said "physiology is an academic profession"..Can't wait to prove him wrong...Friends Jst blive in God

4 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 9:53am On May 05, 2012
confy911: I am to graduate with a degree in physiology dis year from AAU...1 major problem i tink physiology is having is awareness n proper publicity..I am in a college of medicine where i pay like other medical student bt suffer relegation.I remember fully well dat i knew physiology after i ws admitted..i think d solution to dis problem is d establishment of a physiology council jst like d medical laboratory council of Nigeria..Only this council can help fight dis course..A council dat will b recognised by Law..A pharmacology lecturer said "physiology is an academic profession"..Can't wait to prove him wrong...Friends Jst blive in God
i graduated from the same school. I think i should know you.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Kockane(m): 12:17am On May 07, 2012
I got dropped from medical class and opted to continue in anatomy and I must confess, it is the worst mistake of my entire life!!! Thank God for his grace, I'd have been like 80% of all doz anatomy graduates wandering the streets lookin for jobs. What's the use of a B.sc wen you cannot do anyfn with it unless you get an advanced degree, preferably in anoda field. A field where ur seen as second class citizens to the medical doctors, etc... I hold a B.sc in anatomy and today, I work in a bank, not many graduates earn wat I do, entry level. Why devote 4 years of ur life learnin sumfn you cannot even practice? My advice to you, fellow anatomy graduates is to look for a way outta that field, its got no future!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by menek(m): 5:45pm On May 11, 2012
tpia@:
What Are the Different Types of Physiology Jobs?

Physiology jobs can be found in a wide variety of healthcare settings including hospitals and rehab centers as well as research labs and medicals schools or universities. A physiologist is a highly trained allied health professional. Typically, physiologists have completed a Master’s or Doctorate degree program in physiology from an accredited school.

Physiology professionals require knowledge of the mechanisms of the internal body to maintain the survival and functioning of an individual. Physiology jobs can be specialized to include such things as cardiology, neurology, respiratory and exercise. Each specific career path requires specialized training in the area of interest.

Physiology jobs concentrate on the body functions related to the area of expertise. Typically a physiologist helps diagnose and treat specific ailments or injuries to assist the patient to regain physical independence. Depending on the career path, some physiology jobs, such as cardiac physiologists, require extensive knowledge of invasive procedures, such as pacemaker implantation or electrophysiology where a cardiac catheter is placed to measure the electrical impulses of the heart. Their job is to monitor and assess the heart and its function for problems or defects and to assist in the recovery of cardiac incidences.

Physiology jobs in neurology concentrate on the nervous system and commonly work with people with such disorders as dementia, epilepsy and strokes. The neurophysiologist performs procedures such as EEG’s, or electroencephalography to record electrical brain activity and EMG’s, or electromyography and NCS’s, or nerve conduction studies, to record and assess nerve and muscle function. They can also perform testing during surgical procedures to decrease the risk of complications such as paralysis.

Physiology jobs focused on the respiratory system help assess and monitor ailments and diseases which may impede breathing. They commonly work with patients suffering from things like COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, asthma and infant respiratory distress syndrome. Typically a respiratory physiologist will conduct lung functioning tests, sleep studies and blood gases analyses along with being involved in the treatment protocols to assist the patient in recovery of normal breathing patterns.

Physiology jobs in exercise or sports monitor and evaluate cardiovascular and physical abilities to regain health or physical conditioning. Typically the exercise physiologist implements exercise or fitness routines specific to the goals set for the individual patient. They, like any type of physiologist, work closely with a team of healthcare professionals to assure goals of physical abilities and health are being worked towards through a comprehensive therapeutic program.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-physiology-jobs.htm
yea! That's in a normal setting but in Nigeria the reverse is the case. I can't remember seeing physiologist advert besides lecturing. It is a challenge that we all most confront to change d status quo for others coming

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Enquiries: Chartered Institute Of Personnel Management [CIPM] Membership / Nigerian Army Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Out. Register Online / Oil Workers Zone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.