Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim (12224 Views)

African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / President Of World Bank, Jim Yong Kim, Commends D'banj / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by trueword: 1:30am On Mar 24, 2012
The title for this thread makes it seem like Iweala was the only candidate that was being nominated. The other person from South American was also nomiated as well. And it's not like she was seeking the job, other countries wanted her to get the job.

I would prefer for her to remain in Nigeria's Finance Minister. I would rather have her putting her energy toward cleaning up Nigeria than worrying about World Bank. I don't see the substantial benefit the average Nigerian would have gotten from her being World Bank President. At least as Finance Minister she can suggest policies and do other things to move Nigeria forward. Then again it would be history for an African woman to head the world bank.

Nigerian's can be their own worst enemy. Instead of supporting their own countrywoman, you have people her rubbishing her and trying to argue why she shouldn't be world bank president. If many countries are nominating her, then she is obviously qualified for the job.

The person nomiated by Obama is not even an Economist. I would think you would want someone with some Economic or Financial background running the world bank. Then again it may depend on the specific role that the president plays.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by aljharem(m): 1:43am On Mar 24, 2012
Interesting to see Nigerians angry at one of their own. Yes Iweala is corrupt but I still fail to see why we can not support her ?

One person made a point, I think it was Machy1234 and said something about "if we keep pulling our own down, others would not help us pull them up".

You all, I can categorcally tell you that Iweala is not as bad as Etta or Alison.

Although looking at it from a political point of view, it might seem that their is a policy the world want to push on another Nigerian, so as to blame her if things go wrong.

My advice for Iweala is to allow Allah take control of the issue.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Mar 24, 2012
trueword: The person nomiated by Obama is not even an Economist. I would think you would want someone with some Economic or Financial background running the world bank. Then again it may depend on the specific role that the president plays.

You don't need to be an economist to run the WorldBank. There has been talk that it would probably be better to have someone from outside run the bank, rather than another finance person who only thinks of the money and not much else. I believe IMF already serves the purpose of helping countries manage their finances.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by musiwa46: 2:34am On Mar 24, 2012
jim young kim should be the world bank president. i support that decision. he is a smart man. obama was smart taking that decision. they is nothing like race in this. obama is black like ngozi iweala, and if obama picked a korea over a black woman. he must see that this man is good. everything is not color. we have to be color blind .

you people are been emotional because iweala is black... you are a racist. stop been a racist.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Nobody: 3:53am On Mar 24, 2012
musiwa.:
jim young kim should be the world bank president. i support that decision. he is a smart man. obama was smart taking that decision. they is nothing like race in this. obama is black like ngozi iweala, and if obama picked a korea over a black woman. he must see that this man is good. everything is not color. we have to be color blind .

you people are been emotional because iweala is black... you are a racist. stop been a racist.
This is the only time I would have to say you impress me with your post!
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by GboyegaD(m): 4:50am On Mar 24, 2012
fm7070: Obama cannot dictate for the entire world.
Let's wait and see
If everyone rejected the black handsome gorilla called 'Obama' will he be US President today?
Same way he sailed through, same way my sister Ngozi will make it.
They forget that Nigerian politics and economy is so difficult to manage. She's just a minister of finance. If the presidency refuse her suggestion, what will she do. Moreover, this woman has tried a whole lot for this country.

That is it. She could not advise her president well and you want her to sit on world finance. Western world do not believe in the sentiments you believe in as seen in your post. If you say she has tried for the country what are her achievements? Need I remind you that the amount paid as subsidy has reduced yet the FGN budgeted N888bn for subsidy in this financial year?
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by GboyegaD(m): 4:53am On Mar 24, 2012
alj harem:
Interesting to see Nigerians angry at one of their own. Yes Iweala is corrupt but I still fail to see why we can not support her ?

One person made a point, I think it was Machy1234 and said something about "if we keep pulling our own down, others would not help us pull them up".

You all, I can categorcally tell you that Iweala is not as bad as Etta or Alison.

Although looking at it from a political point of view, it might seem that their is a policy the world want to push on another Nigerian, so as to blame her if things go wrong.

Are you suggesting we continue to live in the deceit that had beclouded us all this long If we are to go by the bolded part, we need not support corruption because she is Nigerian as that simply translates to we support the ongoing corruption in the country. There is no need sitting on the fence.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by collinsfbi(m): 6:09am On Mar 24, 2012
afam4eva:
1diot. Is she your president? You should be laying all your worries in the doorstep of GEJ and not Ngozi.

But ironically, she's Nigeria Prime Minister.

Gbamm over and out
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by collinsfbi(m): 6:19am On Mar 24, 2012
Nnenna1:

I wasn't even commenting or thinking of tribe rather possible outcomes of this scenario.

I hope the outburst has relieved some of the tension you must be feeling.

I don't care whatever it turns out to be but I will never support evil all in the name of tribalism or Nigerian. I even pray she wins so that she leave Nigeria because she's not the messiah we thought she would be.

Gbamm over and out
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Callotti: 6:20am On Mar 24, 2012
He is smart.
He can see through her.
Good news.
I would not nominate her if it were up to me.
If she gets it. . .goodluck to her.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Kobojunkie: 6:31am On Mar 24, 2012
collinsfbi:

I don't care whatever it turns out to be but I will never support evil all in the name of tribalism or Nigerian. I even pray she wins so that she leave Nigeria because she's not the messiah we thought she would be.

Gbamm over and out

She may not be the messiah you were praying for but are you sure you want her to leave? I mean if she does, who else is left? Aganga, who many on here equally praised and promoted to role of messiah but have now realized is just another worker who cannot do magic? You forget that Iweala was sold to Nigerians as the Ace in the hole for this administration . . Jonathan Goodluck even went as far as to appoint her supervisor over all the other ministers. If she leaves, who do you have left? Jonathan Goodluck himself?? lol shocked shocked shocked
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by collinsfbi(m): 6:39am On Mar 24, 2012
Big B1: I can not blame Obama. He has made the right move. It is now left to you people to check yourselves and make necessary adjustments.

At this point in time, nominating anything with a Nigerian label will debase everything the world bank stands.

Don't let us deceive ourselves and be honest with each other; none of us is ready for this prestigious position.
Allow Iweala to remain in Abuja and prove herself to the world.
This position requires more than just intelligence; background and integrity are the key.
And anyone that works for a country that produces oil but unable to provide for her citizens has no integrity.

Nigerians, please understand that a position of a world bank president is not for sale.
Recommending a Nigerian for the position at this time is nothing but a complete disrespect to the position and the history of the institution.
Instead of fooling ourselves once again, let us all come together and clean up our house, Nigeria.

God bless your heart of sincerity and your mind of honesty.

Gbamm over and out
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by olamsaheed: 7:03am On Mar 24, 2012
[/color][color=#000099]"She has failed to be an advocate for ordinary Nigerians and did little or nothing to push the Jonathan regime to cut governmental waste and to combat corruption."

True talk Mr Obama. He that can not accomplish a small task should not be saddled wt a big one.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by BBDelta(m): 7:17am On Mar 24, 2012
buty: I agree she has done little or nothing forr the ordinary Nigerians, corruption Iڪ still @ its peak

Who is an ordinary Nigerian?? What makes any other person an extra ordinary Nigerian Sometimes I ditest our use of words.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Kobojunkie: 7:24am On Mar 24, 2012
BBDelta:

Who is an ordinary Nigerian?? What makes any other person an extra ordinary Nigerian Sometimes I ditest our use of words.
The ordinary Nigerian happens to be one of the over 120 million poor people who inhabit the country called Nigeria. They make up the majority in this democracy.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by collinsfbi(m): 7:49am On Mar 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

She may not be the messiah you were praying for but are you sure you want her to leave? I mean if she does, who else is left? Aganga, who many on here equally praised and promoted to role of messiah but have now realized is just another worker who cannot do magic? You forget that Iweala was sold to Nigerians as the Ace in the hole for this administration . . Jonathan Goodluck even went as far as to appoint her supervisor over all the other ministers. If she leaves, who do you have left? Jonathan Goodluck himself?? lol shocked shocked shocked

If indeed NOI was sold to Nigeria as you claimed then Goodluck bought Badluck to manage Nigeria and that is why Nigeria is experiencing counter-affliction right now. Imagine badluck working for gooluck, what do u expect to be the end result? You can suggest the outcome yourself.

Gbamm over and out
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by pistol: 7:56am On Mar 24, 2012
I doubt if she is going to get d job..Wonder why southafricans are the arrowheads spearheading her election for worldbank presido.Sounds fishy.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by ojubi(m): 7:56am On Mar 24, 2012
Obama has no final say in in all things.
The last time i checked, he was @ the front, campaigning for his home US state to host the olympics.
He failed woefly. So that he does not support Iwala does not mean that she ll neccesary fail.
If not for anything atleast for once american strong hold @ the prestigeous bank has been challanged.
He even has to run to someone that was born outside the US.
Kudos to emerging economies.
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by unclenna(m): 11:34am On Mar 24, 2012
Obama taps public health
expert for World Bank By Lesley Wroughton | Reuters - 10
hrs ago WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President
Barack Obama on Friday nominated a
Korean-American known for his work
in fighting disease in impoverished
countries to lead the World Bank, a job
emerging economies are contesting for the first time. Jim Yong Kim, 52, is president of
Dartmouth College, an Ivy League
school in New Hampshire, and former
director of the Department of HIV/AIDS
at the World Health Organization. Despite the challenge from emerging
nations - Nigerian Finance Minister
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and former
Colombian finance minister Jose
Antonio Ocampo were also nominated
- the United States is expected to maintain its grip on the job, which it
has held since the bank was founded
after World War Two. "He's worked from Asia to Africa to the
Americas - from capitals to small
villages," Obama said. "His personal
story exemplifies the great diversity of
our country and the fact that anyone
can make it as far as he has as long as they're willing to work hard and look
out for others." The choice came as a surprise. Washington's past picks for the World
Bank presidency have had more
standing in political circles and Kim's
name had not surfaced in several
media reports on potential nominees. Okonjo-Iweala, a respected economist
and diplomat, is likely to draw support
from many emerging nations that want
to see the bank focus more on helping
their economies develop and less on
traditional poverty-fighting aid. Her backing by Angola, Nigeria and South
Africa was a rare example of unity
among countries often at loggerheads. Ocampo's nomination by Brazil also
signaled the desire of emerging
markets to have a competitive process
as they move to try to upend the
tradition of always having an American
lead the World Bank and a European lead the International Monetary Fund. The bank's current president, Robert
Zoellick, steps down at the end of June. "You will see more of a debate, an
assessment of the merits of the
different candidates and the direction
of the bank," said Arvind Subramanian,
a former IMF official. "It is not a slam
dunk. It is not an obvious choice," he said of the U.S. nominee. Washington, however, retains the
largest single voting share at the World
Bank and can expect the support of
European nations and Japan, the
bank's second-largest voting member. Paul Farmer, a co-founder with Kim of
the non-profit Partners in Health, which
serves some of the world's poorest
countries, said the nominee would
bring to the post a real world
understanding of poverty and a sense of purpose. "A lot of people who live in poverty in
the world today feel that the World
Bank has stalled and needs new
vision," Farmer, the chairman of the
Department of Global Health at Harvard
University, told Reuters in Kigali, Rwanda. "One of his qualities is that
boldness of vision." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^> NARROWING THE FIELD U.S. economist Jeffrey Sachs, who had
been put forward for the job by a
group of small countries, withdrew and
threw his support to Kim. He had cast
his uphill candidacy as an effort to
break Washington's penchant for political appointments. A Canadian government source said
Canada would back Kim and South
Korea, his boyhood home, also
signaled its support. But India said it
wanted to consult the other so-called
BRICS countries - Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa - before deciding, and
Mexico also said it was keeping an
open mind. The rise of emerging economies such
as China, India and Brazil has put
pressure on the United States and
Europe to throw open the selection
process for both the bank and the IMF.
Last year, all of the bank's 187 member countries agreed on a transparent,
merit-based process. The World Bank board of member
countries has promised to make a
decision by the time of the IMF and
World Bank semi-annual meetings on
April 21. U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner
advocated for Kim's nomination, White
House spokesman Jay Carney said,
adding that a number of candidates
were considered, but not all were interested. CHALLENGES AHEAD The new World Bank chief will take
over at a time when the euro zone's
debt crisis is weighing on the global
recovery, undercutting demand in the
poorer nations that often rely on
funding from the bank. He or she will have to decide how best
to deploy resources in a budget-
cutting environment in which large
bank shareholders, such as the United
States, are demanding results,
transparency and greater efforts to tackle corruption. In the end, the choice may come down
to political horse trading. Russia has
refrained from publicly backing a non-
U.S. candidate and has instead called
for a greater role for emerging market
countries in other top positions at global financial institutions. World Bank
board sources have said a deal could
arise in which developing and
emerging economies win the top post
at the bank's private-sector lender. Kim, who holds both an M.D. and a
Ph.D. from Harvard University, led a
World Health Organization initiative that
is credited with providing access to HIV
treatment to millions of people in
developing countries. Dartmouth faculty gave Kim generally
high marks, saying he dealt ably with
the school's impaired balance sheet in
the wake of the financial crisis.
However, in February, 105 faculty
called on him to do more to combat hazing after a student detailed abusive
practices. Some students faulted Kim for focusing
too heavily on post-graduate
programs to the detriment of
undergraduate studies and using
Dartmouth as a platform for higher
aspirations. "From the first year he got here there
was a pretty general consensus that he
was using Dartmouth as a stepping
stone to get to something bigger," said
Kurt Prescott, a 21-year-old senior. (Writing by Lesley Wroughton and Tim
Ahmann; Additional reporting by Stella
Dawson, Mark Felsenthal and Glenn
Somerville in Washington; Choonsik
Yoo in Seoul, Stella Mapenzauswa in
Johannesburg, Randall Palmer and David Ljunggren in Ottawa, Jason
McLure in Hanover, New Hampshire,
and Graham Holliday in Kigali,
Rawanda; Editing by Timothy Ahmann,
Leslie Adler, Dan Grebler and Andre
Grenon)
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by silvernus0: 2:01pm On Mar 24, 2012
BIGER BOY: I welcome you all back from your daydreaming that, that crucial job will be given to an African at this turbulence economic times for the west. undecided

If anything this was just a publicity stunt for NOI orchestrated by the west to redeem her fairly bartered image (or shall I say blown cover) as an agent of the Brettonwoods institutions (IMF and Worldbank)

i see why low mindedness keeps u a same spot year in year out ??
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 24, 2012
what? smiley

I just agree with u buffy wink
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by musiwa46: 4:24pm On Mar 24, 2012
hmm
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by musiwa46: 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
good
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by dekung(m): 6:32pm On Mar 24, 2012
Where is GEJ and his co lobbyists? Maybe he should go and lobby Obama like he lobbied for Dickson in Bayelsa and Tukur in PDP chairmanship
Re: World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim by BlackPikiN(m): 6:37pm On Mar 24, 2012
alj harem:
Interesting to see Nigerians angry at one of their own. [size=15pt]Yes Iweala is corrupt[/size] but I still fail to see why we can not support her ?

You gworo chewing nama! can you prove this or you just shut your dirty mouth!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The First Clueless Statement Of Buhari / Appeal Court: Faulty Card Reader Can’t Invalidate An Election / Lai Mohammed Mourns Ras Kimono, Calls Him Unforgettable Reggae Giant!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.