Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Northern States Demand Compensation From FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern States Demand Compensation From FG (7667 Views)

Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal / Boko Haram Demands N26bn From FG, Borno Government / Northern Muslims Demand N105bn Compensation From FG For Genocide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by mojounited(m): 3:11am On Mar 24, 2012
By Tobi Soniyi

The fight by Northern states to redress what they consider to be lack of equity in the distribution of the nation’s resources has taken a new turn, with 16 of the region’s 19 states heading for court. They have filed a suit at the Supreme Court asking the court to compel the Federal Government to pay them N7 billion as outstanding value of the assets of the defunct Northern States Marketing Board (NSMB). The board was taken over by the Federal Government in 1977 from the then North-western, North-central, Kano, North-eastern and Central-western states. The states as presently constituted consist of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

Most recently, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, suggested that the Boko Haram insurgency in the North was caused by the inequality in the sharing of federation account, with oil-producing states taking an extra 13 per cent for derivation. The Chairman of Northern Nigeria Governors Forum, Governor Babangida Aliyu Muazu, followed suit, arguing that the North had been marginalised. Also, the leader of a nascent Northern pressure group, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, issued a statement last week that the governors of oil-producing states lacked the capacity to manage the huge allocations accruing to them from the federation account.

In the suit before the Supreme Court, the 16 states said in 1977, the then Federal Military Government forcefully took over the assets of NSMB by virtue of Decree No. 29 of 1977. They said the then Supreme Military Council stated that the Federal Government would pay for the assets of the NSMB and the assets of any other commodity boards. According to them, before the assets were transferred to the Federal Government, a valuation was carried out which put the total value of all the assets at N42 million. They said: “Out of the said N42 million, only N1.1 million was paid to the NSMB by the defendant leaving a balance of N40 million.” They put the cost of immovable assets and produce taken over at N11 million and N18 million respectively. Bags, tarpaulin and twine as well as cotton stores complexes allegedly taken over were put at N2 million. The states said that as at July 27, 1983, the Federal Government admitted owing them N10.3 million which when converted using the prevailing exchanging rate (N150.00 to $1) was put at N3 billion. They argued that the exchange rate at the time the assets were taken over was 50k to one US dollar, whereas the dollar now hovers around N150.00. They further claimed that government owed them additional N3.9 billion being the current equivalent of alleged undisputed claim of N13 million. This is said to be the value of some moveable properties and cotton store complexes taken over by the Federal Government. The states exhibited various documents some of which were correspondence between them and the Federal Government. Also included are copies of demand notices where they threatened to go to court if the alleged debt was not liquidated. The last one was dated 1st November 2010.

Already, the Federal Government has filed an objection in which it asked the court to dismiss the claims of the governors. In the objection filed on behalf of the Attorney General of the Federation by Mr. Ade Okeaya-Ineh (SAN), government said that the claim was statute barred by virtue of section 7(1)(e) of the Limitation Act. Government said: “Where the cause of action upon which the plaintiffs’ action is predicted is a letter dated 27th July, 1983 and 13th August, 1984 as stated in paragraphs 13 and 14 of the plaintiff’s statement of claims dated 17th February, 2011.”

The case will come up for hearing on Monday.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/northern-states-demand-compensation-from-fg/112124/
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by mojounited(m): 3:17am On Mar 24, 2012
Gehn gehn! Sudden turn of events, let's see how this pans out. But, an issue from 1977, why now? Dunno, but the move seems a bit desperate though. . undecided
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Callotti: 5:55am On Mar 24, 2012
Good for them!
Who say Mallam nor know dem rights!
I love Northerners I swia.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Standing5(m): 6:40am On Mar 24, 2012
Rubbish!!!
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by ASOROCKb(m): 7:08am On Mar 24, 2012
Standing5: Rubbish!!!
@Boko Rams
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by dustydee: 8:54am On Mar 24, 2012
Callotti: Good for them!
Who say Mallam nor know dem rights!
I love Northerners I swia.
Lashino? whats with your signature?for sale?
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by saintneo(m): 9:11am On Mar 24, 2012
mojounited: By Tobi Soniyi

The fight by Northern states to redress what they consider to be lack of equity in the distribution of the nation’s resources has taken a new turn, with 16 of the region’s 19 states heading for court. They have filed a suit at the Supreme Court asking the court to compel the Federal Government to pay them N7 billion as outstanding value of the assets of the defunct Northern States Marketing Board (NSMB). The board was taken over by the Federal Government in 1977 from the then North-western, North-central, Kano, North-eastern and Central-western states. The states as presently constituted consist of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/northern-states-demand-compensation-from-fg/112124/

Where is Benue, Plataeu, Nassarawa, Niger? Why is there division in the North?
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Callotti: 9:12am On Mar 24, 2012
dustydee:
Lashino? whats with your signature?for sale?

O Jes o!
To beta customers.
So my e badu belle and e jolosi h-enemies will keep quenching on and off NL.
With their wor-wor alatikatious-mgbeke fat lonely desperado FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT azzzzes. wink
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Nobody: 9:44am On Mar 24, 2012
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by ZUBY77(m): 10:27am On Mar 24, 2012
Can they kindly go back to the defuct whatever, we will gladly give them back their assets and happily give them the 7 billion
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Magnanimity(m): 10:46am On Mar 24, 2012
Nonsense
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by victorazy(m): 10:50am On Mar 24, 2012
Ridiculous, what am my doing in here
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by manchy7531: 11:10am On Mar 24, 2012
saintneo:

Where is Benue, Plataeu, Nassarawa, Niger? Why is there division in the North?

can't you read the religious divide?
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 24, 2012
Beautiful non-violent agitation. Very intelligent way to go about things. Let the Supreme Court decide. Other regions/states can file suits if they feel that they have claims.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by badesco(m): 11:24am On Mar 24, 2012
1977 till date is very long time and going to court now will mean wasting of scarce resources on fruitiness venture. In a nutshell there case lack all merits and it will surely fail, even if they employ the best lawyer in Nigeria.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by 27naira(m): 11:26am On Mar 24, 2012
victorazy: Ridiculous, what am my doing in here

cheesy cheesy

Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by racino: 11:47am On Mar 24, 2012
manchy7531:

I dont see any religious devide, Nasarawa and Niger both have muslim majority. Taraba is predominantly christian so your religion card has failed try again.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 24, 2012
SEUN and his moderators,

Is there no way you people stop this kids from derailing EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this forum?

Once a reasoning and well debated topic is posted, few little kids will come and just start posting off points which indirectly irritates other meaningful postors.

From Politics, Romance, Business and others. The story is the same.

@Poster, the case will drag for the next 3 years or so but it is unavoidable for the judgement to go the way of the Northern Governors.

It is now very clear and abvious that Nigeria is no longer ONE NATION. The earlier every state and region start developing their territory, the better. Because sooner than expected, every region will take a stand and mark where their Borders starts and end.

They Planted Lamido Sanusi as CBN government to fight for their rights and he is doing that asssignment Perfectly.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Ibangap(m): 11:52am On Mar 24, 2012
time wasting. Mtcheeewwwwww
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by unphilaz(m): 12:37pm On Mar 24, 2012
racino:
I dont see any religious devide, Nasarawa and Niger both have muslim majority. Taraba is predominantly christian so your religion card has failed try again.

sorry nasarawa state has no majority MUSLIM! check the presidential election vote of da state and you will c.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Eazeee(m): 1:00pm On Mar 24, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]@ Racino.
who told u Nasarawa has majority muslems? am 4rom dat Nasarawa state n 4 ur information Christian Muslem ratio in dia is 60:40. u beta wake up n dont deceive ursef cos u know notin about d middle belt. u can say dat 4 Niger state not Nasarawa
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by anyi385(m): 1:03pm On Mar 24, 2012
undecided
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Kolababa: 1:12pm On Mar 24, 2012
@Unphilaz
Are you trying to create an impression that people voted in 2011 on religious ground? I pity you, let power get back to the North, it is then you will realise that Benue, Taraba, Nasarawa, Kogi, Plateau and Kwara are Northern States. Nigerians are the most sycophantic people in the world. They always dance around anybody that is holding power.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bisiaet: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2012
Aboki at it again, I dey laugh for real!!!!!!!!

So they want to shift ground and distract the Govt away from Bokoanimals menace isnit Or they are clamouring for the money to secretly be sponsoring bokoanimals??

Since 1977 so why now Where they sleeping since then? Untill these anufia tell themselves the truth and the truth is "They should go face to face to their leaders I mean those from that region that has be ruling Nigeria since independence to come and tell them what have they done for that region to date". As a matter of fact they should invite them to their Arewa meeting for serious questioning AND if possible give them some dirty slap and beating to be honest. North shouls stop looking for excuses where no excuse exist and face reality. NONSENSE.BILLION NAIRA IS SAMLL LET THEM BE WAITING FOR TRILLION IS GOING TO FALL FROM SKY. i d i o t s!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bigiyaro(m): 2:49pm On Mar 24, 2012
Northern idiots looking for free money! I dey laf ooooo!
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Callotti: 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2012
greateros:

Chei! gad save us from yashinoh! shocked shocked shocked

All these Igbo men on this NL na wah! cheesy
Too bad Mgbekes do not come to the Political section of NL.
Sorry darling. . .I ain't no 'endangered species' for Okoro-Ngbatis!
Press ya luck!
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by ikeyman00(m): 3:20pm On Mar 24, 2012
by Eazee-e(m): 2 hours & 11 minutes

who told u Nasarawa has majority muslems? am 4rom dat Nasarawa state n 4 ur information Christian Muslem ratio in dia is 60:40. u beta wake up n dont deceive ursef cos u know notin about d middle belt. u can say dat 4 Niger state not Nasarawa

why do yall enjoy eating dog meat bros

hmm like the life style out there in nasarawa

eveybody dey fck; even grand mama dey nysh

anyway tell that alj boko harem what he doesnt wana hear

the guy i meant there just dnt like ur muslem olks up there; i wonder; na redeem hi dey go self
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 24, 2012
Legal tussle
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bakila: 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2012
manchy7531:

Realy? Governor of Nassarawa Tanko Al Makura, Muslim: Governor of Niger Babagida Aliyu Muslim. Are you in Kuvukiland or in a pot of bigotry soup.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bakila: 7:16pm On Mar 24, 2012
bisiaet: Aboki at it again, I dey laugh for real!!!!!!!!

So they want to shift ground and distract the Govt away from Bokoanimals menace isnit Or they are clamouring for the money to secretly be sponsoring bokoanimals??

Since 1977 so why now Where they sleeping since then? Untill these anufia tell themselves the truth and the truth is "They should go face to face to their leaders I mean those from that region that has be ruling Nigeria since independence to come and tell them what have they done for that region to date". As a matter of fact they should invite them to their Arewa meeting for serious questioning AND if possible give them some dirty slap and beating to be honest. North shouls stop looking for excuses where no excuse exist and face reality. NONSENSE.BILLION NAIRA IS SAMLL LET THEM BE WAITING FOR TRILLION IS GOING TO FALL FROM SKY. i d i o t s!!!!!!!!!

Like you people slapped you leader that caused the death of 3 Millions of your kinsmen.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bakila: 7:22pm On Mar 24, 2012
talknafree: SEUN and his moderators,

Is there no way you people stop this kids from derailing EVERY SINGLE THREAD on this forum?

Once a reasoning and well debated topic is posted, few little kids will come and just start posting off points which indirectly irritates other meaningful postors.

@Poster, the case will drag for the next 3 years or so but it is unavoidable for the judgement to go the way of the Northern Governors.

It is now very clear and abvious that Nigeria is no longer ONE NATION. The earlier every state and region start developing their territory, the better. Because sooner than expected, every region will take a stand and mark where their Borders starts and end.

They Planted Lamido Sanusi as CBN government to fight for their rights and he is doing that asssignment Perfectly.

Like you guys planted Iweala the Baby Soldier to continue what her Brigadier father could not accomplish in the Army of the Running Son. Foolish bigot.

@ poster the Supreme Court will decide who is right. I think the action is statute bar.
Re: Northern States Demand Compensation From FG by bakila: 7:23pm On Mar 24, 2012
talknafree: SEUN and his moderators,

Like you guys planted Iweala the Baby Soldier to continue what her Brigadier father could not accomplish in the Army of the Running Son. Foolish bigot.

@ poster the Supreme Court will decide who is right. I think the action is statute barred.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Well Owners In Nigeria : Full List (2020) / See Pictures Of The Police Men Killed By ESN In Orji River / Ripples Effect: An Igbo Man Stripped Of Baale Tittle In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.