Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,156 members, 7,807,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria (4629 Views)

Impact Of Masturbation On Fertility / Minister Of Health Calls For The Cancellation Of Environmental Sanitation / This Drug Increased My Libido: Suprised At Effect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by BIGERBOY1: 10:45pm On Mar 24, 2012
Has Anyone Notice The Increase In Charcoal Sellers? Whats The Environmental Impact?

I was driving bye today and every where I looked I saw huge bags of charcoal heaped on each other in front of people's home. Obviously these are retailers. I have also noticed lots of pickup vans cross crossing town with loads of charcoal. I also recall my friend mentioning to me that he bought one of these charcoal stove which his wife uses for heavy duty boiling to supplement the gas and kerosine cookers.

MY QUESTION IS HAVE YOU NOTICE THIS TREND IN YOUR AREA?

WHERE ARE THESE CHARCOALS COMING FROM?

WHATS THE TOLL ON OUR FOREST? IS IT SUSTAINABLE?

WHATS THE GOVT DOING TO SAVE OUR FOREST?
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14am On Mar 25, 2012
More chacoal less forest, harmattan dust still blowing strong till the end of March, NIMET says everything is normal, I think they are wrong! when there comes less rain and less food then we will run to churches and mosques to ask God for, mercy without even evaluating our actions on the environment. This is Africa, ilogical land!

1 Like

Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Callotti: 7:17am On Mar 25, 2012
We have resorted to fire wood.
More cancer patients in Nigeria for sure.
No hospitals.
Doomsday commeth soonest!

Trees gone. . .Charcoal fumes in the air. . . more carbon in your lungs!
No electricity.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by mikedaniel76gmailcom(m): 8:53pm On Mar 25, 2012
Callotti: We have resorted to fire wood.
More cancer patients in Nigeria for sure.
No hospitals.
Doomsday commeth soonest!

Trees gone. . .Charcoal fumes in the air. . . more carbon in your lungs!
No electricity.
Its a funny but sad truth!!!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Mar 25, 2012
Inasmuch as it is nothing but disaster to our environment, that is what happened when people are face with poverty and needs to make a living
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Maisuya1: 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2012
And then remove fuel subsidy, kerosine no where to be found, that's equal heavy reliance on charcoal and wood. Too bad
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by iKoksi(m): 12:08am On Mar 26, 2012
Good Project/research topic! grin
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by purefella(m): 12:16am On Mar 26, 2012
I don't think its possible for a man or woman to be a Nigerian if not that he or she has offended God seriously in his past life .,This country is just HELLFIRE!!! despite how hard people are praying the worst keeps happening ., I am really confused. I hate the sight of people suffering ,imagine at this computer age people using charcoal to cook, i just want to shout and cry!!!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Raphtop(m): 6:57am On Mar 26, 2012
BIGER BOY: Has Anyone Notice The Increase In Charcoal Sellers? Whats The Environmental Impact?

I was driving bye today and every where I looked I saw huge bags of charcoal heaped on each other in front of people's home. Obviously these are retailers. I have also noticed lots of pickup vans cross crossing town with loads of charcoal. I also recall my friend mentioning to me that he bought one of these charcoal stove which his wife uses for heavy duty boiling to supplement the gas and kerosine cookers.

@ Big boy. This is one of the best post and i think its goin 2 be an avenue 2 educate our people on d danger that has over d years acrued as a result of d excesive use of coal and also d yet 2 come. First, seeing coal al around d place implies that the forest is being depleted leadin 2 d disapearance of our natural and beutiful forest vegetatn. This menance no doubt has lead 2 d disapearance of wildlives; xpose d soil 2 direct insolatn from d sun; make d soil liable 2 erosn; encouragd desert encroachment......The ultimate disaster resultin from this excesive coal as energy is the problem of 'climate Change' which of cuz is not limited 2 d country alone, but d whole world at large. Now the questn is this What is Climate Change and How has/is d use of COAL caused/causin climate change? A simple way of undastandin what climate change means is 2 ask an old man/woman 2 compare d amount of rainfal, solar intensity n d rate of disasters like floodin n desertificatn; back then wen they were young and with the present situatn. Now 2 d second questn, when coal is used, exces carbon is releasd in2 d atmosphere. The reason it is refared 2 as exces is that, God has so perfected the work of nature the this gas n others exist naturaly in thd atmosphere wit the function of keepin the earth warm. So any further aditn from any means is in exces. This gas traps exces solar radiatn thereby makin the earth warmer than the natural arangement by God. Also, the gas has a way of piercing the ozone layer which is a natural coverin 2 reduce solar insolatn. These two proceses bounce back 2 humanity in a variety n disastrous ways. Now plant make use of carbon 2 manufacture their food hence reducing the amount of carbon in space but wen we cut trees excesively, the gases remain in the atmosphere performin its adverse functions. Our economy n gvt hav howeva made it in such a way that we have no optn but 2 continue d use of charcoal. HOW THEN DO WE FIGHT THIS MENANCE?
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by omodada1: 7:02am On Mar 26, 2012
JU̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ last week, 21st march, we celebrated world forestry day 2012. Ask M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣ wot, abt 26billion was input into the̶̲̥̅̊ project was misapropriited. ‎​the̶̲̥̅̊ fulani nw cut branches down ‎​Fø̲я̅ der cows τ̅☺ feed, desertification in increase, ozon layer is red rain nw, prematured woods fallen ‎​Fø̲я̅ money but guessd wot most states say D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ ve a law against chacoal sales but who wil arrest M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣ if i place М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ shop even close τ̅☺ govt. House? Morso, even if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ do, the̶̲̥̅̊ law dat wil judge M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣ is 1960's. So maybe i wil nid JU̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ pay N500 only ‎​Fø̲я̅ such crime! Rmba, the̶̲̥̅̊ world we r in is borrowed, it realy belongs τ̅☺ our Children.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 26, 2012
@omodada, all those characters reduce your post unreadable! abi climate change don dey affect your computer? im sure you are not using charcoal computer! lol
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by member479760: 7:39am On Mar 26, 2012
The newly discovered oyel in the northern part of Mali had led to civil war, Mali supported Biafra to fight Nigeria. one should expect Bamako to let the Fulani go with their God given resources or na by force to live together.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 26, 2012
Hard but true, Fulanis contribute immensely to the climate change by their way of life: their cattle mow down forests and farmlands; huge methane is released into the atmosphere from the remains and excreta of the cattle, you just need to go to abbatoirs to verify these ( with the right tech, the gas could be usefully captured though) and the cattle can fart and belch a lot!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by emsquare(m): 8:20am On Mar 26, 2012
Killing our forest reserve!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Tropilo(m): 8:32am On Mar 26, 2012
cogitoErgo: More chacoal less forest, harmattan dust still blowing strong till the end of March, NIMET says everything is normal, I think they are wrong! when there comes less rain and less food then we will run to churches and mosques to ask God for, mercy without even evaluating our actions on the environment. This is Africa, ilogical land!

GOD bless ur mother! Cant be put any better. Except maybe they are using d mineral coal.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35am On Mar 26, 2012
I As an evironmental health officer in training,charcoal is cheap and has less emission of cfc~chlorofluorocabon in to the atmosphere as it merits but in times of demerits,it leads to the indiscriminate falling of the flora~trees causing flooding and due to the exesscive xploitation of resources it leads to Environmental Degradation.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by swiftsulex(m): 9:42am On Mar 26, 2012
Its unfortunate that many people on NL barely understand posts before they start making comments. The Post said Environmental Impacts of Increased Charcoal Usage in Nigeria. Increased usage means more depletion of forests in Nigeria. Forest serve a lot of purposes in Nigeria. They help sink carbon which we all know is the chief green house gas which increases global warming. aside that, forests serve as home to so many animals. The impact therefore is loss of biodiversity, increased risk of erosion etc.

1 Like

Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Tropilo(m): 11:10am On Mar 26, 2012
nakedall: The newly discovered oyel in the northern part of Mali had led to civil war, Mali supported Biafra to fight Nigeria. one should expect Bamako to let the Fulani go with their God given resources or na by force to live together.

Oga, abeg get ur facts right before posting. Only two/three African countries (Cote d' voire, Equitorial Guinea and maybe Gabon) supported d defunct Biafra. Pls dont make unjustified enemies for d Malians. Besides, stick to d original post content. Its educative. Bless u!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 26, 2012
I dont think burning of charcoal produce CFC at all. CFC destroys OZONE, which protects against the harmful UV-radiations that can cause cancer!
The chief culprit of climate change is carbondioxide, together with methane, and even water vapor! God intentionaly put CO2 in the atmosphere in other to create some thermal regulation, without it the whole earth will be dead cold, like on pluto! if it is too much, the earth will be damned hot, like on mercury! In other to regulate the CO2 amount God then put trees to act as absorbers. The problem now is that we humans continue to increase the CO2 amount by burning so much fuel on the roads, in industries and even in our homes! to make the matter worse we keep choping down the regulators to make charcoals!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by gametalk: 2:32pm On Mar 26, 2012
Nice tread. At least the poster want to write project or make research even might be a information marketer. Update me when you're thru with ur research.
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by LagBlogger(m): 2:42pm On Mar 26, 2012
How many times will this Thread appear on the frontpage?
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by naijaking1: 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2012
When flying into Nigeria, the first unusal finding will be numerous smokes billowing from many sources. Once you land, you'll notice that apart from dust from unpaved roads and too many vehicular traffic, there are smoke and burnfires in just about everyother block. By the morning when you go for a stroll, you'll notice that people simply pulled their toilet papers and other wastes along the streets and set them on fire. Unfortunately, the people who set the fire simply sit around and inhaled their own waste.

In the US, the 2 things you cannot burn are: 1. The dollar bill 2. Your trash!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 26, 2012
BIGER BOY: Has Anyone Notice The Increase In Charcoal Sellers? Whats The Environmental Impact?

So nigerians dat rely on charcoal shuldnt live because of economic whatever??
If charcoal will make d world end, den so be it, at least... Man must wack... Charcoal or gas!
Re: Environmental Impact Of Increased Charcoal Usage In Nigeria by Ilekokonit: 4:03am On Mar 27, 2012
purefella:
I don't think its possible for a man or woman to be a Nigerian if not that he or she has offended God seriously in his past life.

I started feeling like Purefella around 2004 and I was living in London at the time and felt trapped in London and seeing my home Nigeria but not having the liver to relocate just yet.

I eventually summoned up the courage to relocate to Naija in 2006 but sadly had to throw in the towel and reluctantly come back to London in 2008 after tasting what its like trying to build a business from scratch in Lagos with less than honest employees.

But seriously one wonders at times what we Nigerian's have done to deserve being held perpetually and mercilessly by the jugular by the current "Grand Patrons of Corruption" in the words of the EFCC boss Lamorde.

Now people who can't afford Kerosine or Gas in our oil producing country are banished to using the Carcinogenic charcoal on a daily basis to cook. Add to this the daily fumes of poisonous Carbon Monoxide that is released into the air. And God help that housewife who mistakenly uses the charcoal to cook in places that are not well ventilated 'cos she might as well be commiting suicide with the Carbon Monoxide fumes emmited from the burning charcoal into the confined space.

Do our leaders fear God at all ?? Why subject millions to excruciating poverty when there is actually more than enough to go round everyone ?

WHY DOES BEING A NIGERIAN HAVE TO BE THIS MUCH HARD WORK ??

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO HAVE SOMETHING TANGIBLE TO BE PROUD OF AS NIGERIANS

(1) (Reply)

5 (sure) Steps To A Flat Tummy In 7 Days / COVID-19 Update For December 20 2021 In Nigeria / Nursing: What Is PTS Exam All About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.