Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? (15194 Views)

Poll: YES

NO: 100% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / One Day I Will Challenge BISHOP OYEDEPO On A Sunday Service. / Tb Joshua Is Using D Strongest Satanic Power.code 0012. Beware! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Ozegbe(m): 6:04am On Mar 26, 2012
now that we cant decipher what is a sin or not with the invention of new and high tech stuff...using the phone to read bible on sunday service, is it a sin?
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Emmyk(m): 6:06am On Mar 26, 2012
I dont even know sef
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Lucy001(f): 6:47am On Mar 26, 2012
Its not a sin, some pastors dis days even use wat is called E-bible, Pastor Matthew Asimolowo, House on the rock etc all hv adopted the e-bible usage, in otherwords, I do not think it is a sin, as far as you are not using it for another purpose, while the service in going on.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by snthesis(m): 10:43am On Mar 26, 2012
is having a phone now a sin

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by emofine2(f): 11:02am On Mar 26, 2012
snthesis: is having a phone now a sin
I wonder o.

Ozegbe: now that we cant decipher what is a sin or not with the invention of new and high tech stuff...using the phone to read bible on sunday service, is it a sin?

Don’t some churches even use "high tech stuff" such as screen projectors for the whole congregation to view particular passages being read? or have they sinned because they didn't use a chalk and blackboard

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Image123(m): 11:12am On Mar 26, 2012
It depends. God looks at the heart. Some do it for show, to show off their gadget, or their high tech ability/disability. Some just have the 'owanbe spirit' and need help. Some do it because they're ashamed to leave home with a Bible in hand, or be seen going to church. Some were not able to get their Bible before going to church, some may have the version the preacher is using on phone not in paper. So many more reasons, so it depends. Some na just follow follow, copy cat.

7 Likes

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by jackima: 11:14am On Mar 26, 2012
No qualms!
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by emofine2(f): 11:19am On Mar 26, 2012
Image123: It depends. God looks at the heart. Some do it for show, to show off their gadget, or their high tech ability/disability. Some just have the 'owanbe spirit' and need help. Some do it because they're ashamed to leave home with a Bible in hand, or be seen going to church. Some were not able to get their Bible before going to church, some may have the version the preacher is using on phone not in paper. So many more reasons, so it depends. Some na just follow follow, copy cat.

That is an interesting and thoughtful perspective and you have a very valid point. But I was under the impression that the OP was questioning what device may qualify as a sin not in its employment or the intention of the user but simply as a mere product.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Image123(m): 11:53am On Mar 26, 2012
^
That's why i said it depends on motive. It's inseparable when you throw in SIN.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by BBDelta(m): 12:42pm On Mar 26, 2012
How you get information about what is written in the bible is your business and has to do with how comfortable you are with the process, King James, NIV, Good News, even the one in your Local Language, has nothing to do with anybody but you alone. The only thing I may consider is you comfortable affiliates a.k.a "church" for effective worship with God. If in your church they are using a particular means and it seems very effective for their style of worship, then you can use that too to be part of the collective efficiency, else you may be lagging behind. But weather it is sin or not, it is not. infact you can burn your old bible and replace with something better and it means nothing, just discarding a book that is no longer useful. So keep that Religious attitude out of the equation, I know this is a religious forum though.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by senben(m): 1:36pm On Mar 26, 2012
Using Ur fone bible during de service may not be a sin but it could be a source of distraction because calls,text or chats could make U lose focus in de process of the service...
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by onyxo76(m): 1:41pm On Mar 26, 2012
it seems more Christians consider carrying the bible a burden. i still carry mine around even if i have bible on my phone.i only don't ascribe to the phone distracting you during service.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by ZUBY77(m): 1:43pm On Mar 26, 2012
So it is we/us who determine what is and what is not a sin now. We are moving faster than the speed of light.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Cleverley(m): 1:44pm On Mar 26, 2012
Ask pastor chris, he use's ipad too. But whats wrong with carring a bible to church?
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by DualCore1: 1:51pm On Mar 26, 2012
This is not a sin. However when it comes to public places like churches you don't just have to do things you want to do just because its not a sin. Think about the people around you and be sure to do things in a way that will not stumble members of your congregation.

If using a handheld device to read the bible during a service will distract people around you or make them feel oppressed or make you look like a show-off, its best to use some discernment and stick to the normal hardcopy Bible.

If you attend church in Silicon Valley, ignore all I have just said and use an iPad cuz carrying normal Bible will just make you odd.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2012
its totally not, but i advice that you only read of mobile bible apps that have not been doctored or altered.

as long as the mobile bible has the same contents with the real bible's no quams.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by jmoore(m): 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2012
there are questions that do not need answers because they are not supposed to be asked like this one.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by juce: 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2012
bible wheather in book or electronic form is bible in so far as the content is not adultrated.

Ozegbe: now that we cant decipher what is a sin or not with the invention of new and high tech stuff...using the phone to read bible on sunday service, is it a sin?

about not been able to decipher what is sin or not ...........abeg speak for ya self.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by lilkech(m): 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2012
We go 2 church 2 worship and praise God.

The only gadgets allowed are supposed to be musical based

lets not allow the western world lead us into blind sin
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Austinio: 2:40pm On Mar 26, 2012
Bible is different 4rm phone. E-bible is electronic bible. Which is gud; but I think sm pple r shamed of carryin bible 2 church or followship.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by bonna4u(m): 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2012
We can't really say it is a sin. If you feel comfortable using your phone as a bible during service, carry on. If it discomforts you, then pocket your phone. There was nothing like phone in the bible and as someone pointed out, it all boils down to the motive of the individual.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by SisiKill1: 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2012
jmoore: there are questions that do not need answers because they are not supposed to be asked like this one.

Finally. . . SANITY!!!!!

I was getting scared there for minute wondering where all the SANE people were.

On a different note, it is so easy to see why Nigerian Christians are easily led by their noses. I tell ya, from now on, I will stop blaming the pastors. . .I mean let's be honest here, one would be hard pressed not to take advantage of people who have obviously decided to check their brains at the church entrance.

I don't know what is in the poll because it won't open for me (Seuuuuuuuuuun!!) but I hope there is an option for...What the hell kinda question is this??!!

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by tiebe: 2:47pm On Mar 26, 2012
lilkech: We go 2 church 2 worship and praise God.

I'm sorry, but I dont quite agree. i feel like the reason why we dont Jesus reading the scrolls from a phone bible or iphone at the time was because at that time, these were not available. I dont think Using the bible in your phone in church is a sin! its a bible while u're using the bible in it. as long as u can keep from getting distracted by text messages and calls and all other messages coming into your phone during serve.

we're not questioning the intention we're questioning here.we might as well begin to question why some people buy bibles with gold margins and say they probably do that to show off.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Bolarge1(m): 2:52pm On Mar 26, 2012
MAY STILL CARRY RAW BIBLE TO THE CHURCH AND THEY ARE SINNERS.

WHAT U CARRIED TO CHURCH EITHER E-BIBLE OR I-BIBLE OR RAW BIBLE DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU FOR HEAVEN.

THE OBIDIENCE TO THE WORD OF GOD IN THE E-BIBLE OR I-BIBLE OR RAW BIBLE QUALIFIES YOU FOR HEAVEN.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Mekky2010: 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Finally. . . SANITY!!!!!

I was getting scared there for minute wondering where all the SANE people were.

On a different note, it is so easy to see why Nigerian Christians are easily led by their noses. I tell ya, from now on, I will stop blaming the pastors. . .I mean let's be honest here, one would be hard pressed not to take advantage of people who have obviously decided to check their brains at the church entrance.

I don't know what is in the poll because it won't open for me (Seuuuuuuuuuun!!) but I hope there is an option for...What the hell kinda question is this??!!

My dear, probably one gullible pastor said it during service, and it started giving someone sleepless night, am amazed at how naive we can be sha (( Is using KJV or Good News bible a sin? Believe me, some people will come here to ask that if their pastor said it is.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by born2boink(m): 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2012
Their was nothing like paper book when first bible was written, they exist inform clays and later modernise into book, now re modernise into e-book like PDA,phone and laptop is cool
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by kcreal(f): 3:00pm On Mar 26, 2012
No, it is not a sin but remember as a Christian your BIBLE is your Sword not your Phone.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by onyekapray: 3:02pm On Mar 26, 2012
I dont subsribe to using phones or other instruments as Bible. Barring the fact that we are in the modern age, we need to be wary of the devices of the enemy. How many of us can do Bible study with the use of our phones where we have to mark scriptures and highlight places we find appealing as Memory Verses. There is more to it than the eye meets as many are ashamed to walk on the streets with their Bibles so as not to be seen as religious.
It is even bad when many carry their Bibles and people can not see Jesus in them.
I beg to disagree that we dont use the liberty that we have as an opportunity to sin.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by tiebe: 3:07pm On Mar 26, 2012
onyekapray: I dont subsribe to using phones or other instruments as Bible. Barring the fact that we are in the modern age, we need to be wary of the devices of the enemy. How many of us can do Bible study with the use of our phones where we have to mark scriptures and highlight places we find appealing as Memory Verses. There is more to it than the eye meets as many are ashamed to walk on the streets with their Bibles so as not to be seen as religious.
It is even bad when many carry their Bibles and people can not see Jesus in them.
I beg to disagree that we dont use the liberty that we have as an opportunity to sin.

er. . . I'm not the kind to mark any book i read, or highlight; especially not my bible. I have a notebook i use for bible study. i write everything important in that notebook. so, reading my bible in my phone doesnt stop me from doing a good bible study. some people (not saying you that i quoted oh) feel that only those with weathered, beaten bibles with scribbles everywhere can prove they study the bible.

and if I cant use my phone in church, it means there's something wrong with using phones, which means i should not be using phones at all. after all, its not only in church i should b holy. what i cant do inside church, i should not do outside.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Iolo(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2012

You must be from the stone age with this mentality.
Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by Iolo(m): 3:23pm On Mar 26, 2012
onyekapray: I dont subsribe to using phones or other instruments as Bible. Barring the fact that we are in the modern age, we need to be wary of the devices of the enemy. How many of us can do Bible study with the use of our phones where we have to mark scriptures and highlight places we find appealing as Memory Verses. There is more to it than the eye meets as many are ashamed to walk on the streets with their Bibles so as not to be seen as religious.

There are many bible apps on mobile devices that outperform the traditional pen and biro approach.

For one the Youversion bible apps allow you to take notes, bookmark verses, and highlight specific paragraphs.

Truthfully I find this more convenient as I can just scroll through my pastors messages @ any time of the day. Someone using your approach would probably need to carry his church jotter everywhere he goes for that to happen.

There's no good and bad bibles. It just depends on your intentions.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Your Phone As Bible On Sunday Service A Sin? by begwong: 3:30pm On Mar 26, 2012

Garbage!!!.What are you using to chat here?
Na african world abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Avoid Sleeping In Church - Theabstracthoughts.com / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.