Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,452 members, 7,781,307 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:11 PM

Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? (8022 Views)

School Management Portal For Primary And Secondary School / Joomla Component For A School Management System / Alibaba Clone, B2b Marketplace Script Trading Portal For Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by AkinKg: 2:11pm On Oct 31, 2007
A sch wants someone to design pins for her students to access their results at home instead of coming to the schl esp 4 WAEC & NECO results that is, each student has a pin each with wc he/she can kno her results when it is out. I kno someone in the house can get d job. call asap me on 080 5857 5990 or akin_kng@yahoo.com to link u up. If u can do it well; u'll get paid for it.
Cheers
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 4:35pm On Oct 31, 2007
Hey Akin,

You are confusing things there. Students now check their WAEC & NECO results on the internet with the use of scratch card pins and the students dont need to go to the school for their results anymore. But if the school needs a portal on which students can login to check their SCHOOL RESULTS and also have a student's area where they can do online registration and all sorts, that would be better.

We can develop a portal for the school and we need to know exactly what the school needs, where the school is located and if they have a website running or not.

Hope to read from you soon.

Tunde
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by ima1(f): 5:46pm On Oct 31, 2007
depends on how much you are willing to pay, i could build it including the website if they don't already have one. but i gotta know the price before i get the job done.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by seun001(m): 6:08pm On Oct 31, 2007
broadcode:

Hey Akin,

You are confusing things there. Students now check their WAEC & NECO results on the internet with the use of scratch card pins and the students don't need to go to the school for their results anymore. But if the school needs a portal on which students can login to check their SCHOOL RESULTS and also have a student's area where they can do online registration and all sorts, that would be better.

We can develop a portal for the school and we need to know exactly what the school needs, where the school is located and if they have a website running or not.

Hope to read from you soon.

Tunde

thank you oooo!
and wot do u mean by if it is done well ,u will be paid.are u tryin to swindle somebody or wot?
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by gbolio4(m): 7:59pm On Oct 31, 2007
My company has done 4 works of that specification smiley

contact us; info [at] syberplus . info
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by tundewoods(m): 2:59am On Nov 01, 2007
@ Poster are you at all sure of what exactly "Your Client" wants or requires ?

If i may quote your post you said.

Akin Kg:

A sch wants someone to design pins for her students to access their results at home instead of coming to the schl esp 4 WAEC & NECO results.

My brother it is absolutely impossible for a second party website to have access to and interface into the NECO or WAEC database.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by seun001(m): 6:53am On Nov 01, 2007
tundewoods:

@ Poster are you at all sure of what exactly "Your Client" wants or requires ?

If i may quote your post you said.

My brother it is absolutely impossible for a second party website to have access to and interface into the NECO or WAEC database.

WORD
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2007
@Poster,

You have to be careful of some webmasters on here. Accessing WAEC & NECO database from another site is not easy as it seems because I dont think WAEC or NECO can give out rights on its database to an "OUTSIDER". You need the right to access their database before you can design your portal to access their's.

Take your time, get a demo and make sure it meets your requirement before paying anyone.

Tunde
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by bashtech: 10:46am On Nov 01, 2007
@tundewoods, @broadcode ,

It is very much possible to design a portal that can be used to check neco/waec results, it is not the issue of accessing neco or weac database at all, is the issue of designing a portal with gateway concept that has ability to validate the neco/waec pins from their site, retrieve the results, displayed it in your portal, from then it can be further manipulated, I mean students can then used a second generated pin for your portal to enable them forward, view results multiple times (unlike neco/weac, which I think you can only check 5 times), send to your mobile phones etc.

webmasters, this is possible, am not saying I gonna do it, but I have seen alot of it, once you have an access code to a particular site, you can of course access database from there, bring back to your portal database and manipulate it.

The web technology to be used is very much similar with shopping cart systems, you transact in one website, payment, credit validation done via ssl behind another websites, but all taking place within your portal without the client knowing exactly what is happening at the background.

Also very much similar with PHISHING, you enter pin in one website, validation will take place from the GENUINE (Original website), then later you will be taking to a FAKE website to do wish of the hackers or the website hijackers.

Anyway, I don't know much about web design, but am learning.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by my2cents(m): 11:15am On Nov 01, 2007
Yep,

It is indeed VERY[/b]possible folks. Has anyone here heard of [b]WEB SERVICES (SOAP, CORBA, etc)? Of course, WAEC et al would have to provide a way for developers to get at the data. In other words, it is akin to you walking up to Aso Rock and expecting to go straight to the President's toilet. Can it be done? Sure. You might get shot though tongue You need the necessary permissions/to follow protocol. You could also obtain WAEC's API (sort of like the way you can access paypal's system via their API or accessing google Maps via their API).

Another method, though crude, is to use an IFrame. The IFrame source would be the NECO/WAEC website. In other words, though the students in question are on www.xyz.com, the iframe src is actually WAEC/NECO.com. Of course, this whole process is transparent to the user. I have also used this approach before. It was for a real estate site. When you visit the client's site, you see his look-and-feel. However, when you want to search for a house, I inserted an Iframe that points at the Georgia Realtor website. To the user, they are searching for and screening results from my client's site, or so they think wink To think of it, when you do a map search on google, don't they also provide an iframe for you to include on your website, the source of which is the URL pointing to the mapped results? Hmmm, check it out cool cool

Yet another technique, which is where phishing/scraping come in (WARNING: I am not endorsing this particular technique. If you mention my name, I will deny you angry grin). Here, you can view source of the page, see the file that is in the form's action tag, copy that and pass in information via the URL, then spit back results, again, via an iframe. Craigslist used to do this before for their auto section. I know because I was once on a team tasked with finding out sites using up AutoTrader.com's bandwidth by scraping results from their site. I don't know how this would work with pin numbers though. Nonetheless, I am sure that if I put my brain to it, I could figure out a way.

Folks, this is why requirements gathering is paramount. If Akin came to me, my first question would be (like the rhyming tongue), "Sir, you say a sch wants someone to design pins for her students to access their results at home instead of coming to the schl esp 4 WAEC & NECO". My questions:

1) Are you aware that WAEC/NECO already provide a way to do this via scratch cards? Wouldn't it be a better idea to gain access to their site and/or databases and have the students enter their scratch card pins on our site? Speaking of which:

2) Are you aware that in order to access the WAEC/NECO DB, that you will need permission to do so as these entities need to keep their data secure in order to maintain their integrity? Do you have the necessary permissions/ways (as in code) that I would implement in order to get to their DB? If not, may I suggest we use an iframe?

I know this is kind of long (sorry niyyie wink), but nonetheless, I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 11:31am On Nov 01, 2007
@bashtech,

Please don't quote me wrong. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IN PROGRAMMING!!! I didn't say it is not possible to design something like that, but it requires advanced scripting programming efforts on the part of the developer and it wouldn't be cost effective for the school.

I have worked on a project similar to this during some research works,  softwares like that are sometimes called MOBILE AGENTS,  but it wasn't easy at all.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by AkinKg: 11:38am On Nov 01, 2007
I'm sorry Guys. 4 nt using d professional terms/xplanations as xpected. Don't get confused. I don't xpect those who kho 2 get off course because of a layman's desciption.

Seun, u sed smtin abt swindling or so. That sounds insulting & d least I xpect 4rm U.

Cheers
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 11:41am On Nov 01, 2007
Okay Akin,

Have you found someone for the job already? I would be nice if you can state clearly what your client really wants in the right words now?
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by AkinKg: 11:58am On Nov 01, 2007
Want sm1 dat can let her studentd access their results. I hope that's clear enof.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by my2cents(m): 1:43pm On Nov 01, 2007
I didn't say it is not possible to design something like that, but it requires advanced scripting programming efforts on the part of the developer and it wouldn't be cost effective for the school.

broadcode:
At the risk of starting world war 3, I just wanted to say that these issues don't arise. I am not here to argue with you or to show you, "who I am". I, like you (I assume) am here to learn. Please observe:

If WAEC/NECO provide you with an API, including (as is the case with google) sample code on how to use the API, all you have to do is use it. There is nothing advanced there. Also, if you choose the iframe route, you are not doing any programming at all. You are basically providing the URL as the iframe source. All the bandwidth resides on WAEC's/NECO's side. All the code in this case, has already been written by someone else and all you are doing at this point is referencing it via a URL.

Pertaining to it being cost-effective, I dare say that it is cost-effective, especially in the long-run. What would the alternative be for such students? Sure, it may cost millions up front but they would have to look at the long-term benefits, not the short-term costs - students accessing their results via a site they are already familiar with (instead of having to memorize WAEC's/NECO's), potential for making money via ads as there will be more traffic going to that particular page and less overhead costs in terms of hiring staff that would have to answer questions such as, "how do I check my results?" or "what is the web address for WAEC/NECO?" to mention but a few.

Akin:
No need for apologizing. You are the client. Not all clients are IT-savvy. That is where we come in tongue Anyone who blames you for not being IT-savvy deserves a slap from you cool Again, this is why I said before that requirements-gathering is a must, no matter how small the project. It is our job to get better definitions for what you want. Example: Some time ago, someone approached me and asked me to build them, "a highly interactive" website. Naturally, I thought he meant flash. When I asked him to define what he meant, it turns out all he wanted was a 5-page site with a contact form where potential customers could send him emails, as opposed to copying-and-pasting his email address into an email client tongue

As always, my 2 cents
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Kobojunkie: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2007
Akin Kg:

Want sm1 that can let her studentd access their results. I hope that's clear enof.

I have a question for you please @Akin / @Poster. How do you intend to have the result information made available on the site?? Does the teacher want to type in the information and then have the students log in to see their score? or is it that WAEC has a web service( provides a sort of feed that schools can access for this information), that he/she knows of and would like to consume? I mean it is an easy task but I would like to know how this information will be obtained for the site please. Is that information available or would the developer have to come up with a best way for such??
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Cactus(m): 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2007
APIs.

Neco or waec may be wary of providing public APIs because of security concerns
a crude way is to do http post for the username file and pwd and using a data scraping method to retrieve the relavant information required. if they use a turing code, then this will not be possible.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Afam(m): 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2007
This is a money making venture for NECO so any idea of getting free access to the database is a waste of time.

Here is what the school could do. Buy scratch cards and retrieve the results of the students in the school and feed same to the schools database, that way the students may not need to buy scratch cards to access their results on NECO website.

The information needed has a price tag and once the price is paid every other thing becomes easy.

Things are a whole lot easier than they seem.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by my2cents(m): 6:01pm On Nov 01, 2007
Afam,

I could argue that by allowing access to their DBs, NECO would actually make money in the process:

While I was still at AutoTrader, a similar situation arose where it was argued that by allowing users access to our API via a gadget, we would lose the money we would have made by the user coming directly to the search form (ads-wise). So we came up with a way to monetize the gadget - we logged each call to our data and charged the person accessing our data a nominal fee (I don't know what it was, but it was very small, from what I gathered). Now, per transaction, this amount is small, but when you add, in the case of AutoTrader, millions of hits, it adds up.

Back to NECO, perhaps they could try a similar approach. To me, it all depends on who is saying what to whom. I have discovered that if you can convince a business person they can make money from a venture, they will most likely go for it. I do understand/respect the fact that doing this in the Nigerian context may be the difficult hurdle to overcome though, especially if for instance, NECO doesn't maintain accurate records of their log files.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by seun001(m): 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2007
i think the question should be 'has WAEC/NECO started selling second party access to outsiders'.
except u want to post a link abi,
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Nov 01, 2007
HEY AKIN, Did you see my Question
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Afam(m): 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2007
@my2cents,

We are talking Naija here my friend.

The person in charge of the project may not even understand what you are talking about let alone the person trying to convince NECO.

Na the money for the scratch card NECO and the sponsoring bank dem they after.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by praises99: 1:05am On Nov 02, 2007
Hello Akin,

I am glad to tell you my company have implemented that system. Pls check our website @ www.excellonsystems.com.

Our approach to the implementation is to develop a one month free demo/beta version, which the school can use free for that period, then if they are satisfy we will do the system deployment.

Akin, should in case you need to have a more personal discussion with us pls use the address at the website to contact us preferrably in person. Thanks

Regards,

Moyin

080-89897798
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 9:04am On Nov 02, 2007
Let's face reality here and not waste time. This is Nigeria and as Afam as said WAEC or NECO WILL NOT give rights on it database to a third party because of the money an[b]d most especially the precarious nature that comes with it. [/b]
Tunde
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by tundewoods(m): 1:10pm On Nov 02, 2007
@ Broadcode

[size=14pt]My Allah bless you infinitely for speaking the honest truth and trying to show these folks the light.[/size]

I honestly wonder if all these folks saying that it is possible to interface into NECO or WEAC website are actually facing reality that this is Nigeria and not Diaspora.

I can bet with my Grandma that they(NECO or WAEC) will never allow 3rd party websites to interface or access there database in a 100 years from Now.

The best thing you can do is to tow along Afam's suggestion,however why go through all that stress when the students can simply access their results from the NECO or WAEC website themselves.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by my2cents(m): 1:31pm On Nov 02, 2007
tundewoods (and all others with a similar viewpoint on this issue),

The current Adidas motto is "Impossible is Nothing". Diaspora or not, just because it may (I stress, "may" because, you do not categorically know for a fact that NECO/WAEC will say no. You are merely speculating. Again, I stress, you don't know this for a fact. Until you go speak to someone there and they indeed say no, making assumptions/statements based on a past experience you may have had with someone else is not the right way to go) not be done doesn't mean it can't be done.

Every organization has the right to be paranoid about who they let access their system. Having said that, if you use the right words, explain things in a way that even a lay man will understand and if you just so happen to speak to the right person and/or someone at NECO/WAEC who is able to see light at the end of the tunnel, you never know what one might accomplish.

Think about it this way - I wasn't in Nigeria when the web dev boom began. However, I am willing to bet that there were those who said it would never succeed because of lack of light, training materials, etc.

Remember, Adidas says, "Impossible is Nothing". Nike says, "Just Do It"

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by tundewoods(m): 2:01pm On Nov 02, 2007
@ My2Cents

This is not about being paranoid Ok,This is Nigeria !If only you know the Millions of Naira NECO,WAEC and JAMB makes from their scratch cards i guess you would have a different opinion.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by broadcode(m): 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2007
THIS IS NIGERIA and am saying it again that WAEC & NECO will not let a second or third party access its database based on the simple fact that a great percentage of Nigerians will edit the result of his/her grandmother's-nephew's aunt's junior brother's result to allow him get admission easily lipsrsealed
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by my2cents(m): 2:40pm On Nov 02, 2007
This is not about being paranoid Ok,This is Nigeria !If only you know the Millions of Naira NECO,WAEC and JAMB makes from their scratch cards i guess you would have a different opinion

tundewoods:
Probably not. Read the 2 mottos up top again. Also, I am not saying those who would need 3rd-party access would be getting the data for free. They still pay per transaction. I once worked on a project that enables Georgia drivers to renew their licenses online (https://services.georgia.gov/dmvs/splash.jsp). The company I worked for at the time charged 25 cents per transaction. Pretty small amount. However, multiply that by the millions of drivers and it adds up. NECO/WAEC could so same. Then the site that wants access could pay WAEC/NECO, say, 50kobo per transaction then turn around, transfer the cost to the user and charge the user N1 per transaction.

Why would anyone be willing to go through that school's website as opposed to NECO/WAEC's directly? For the same reason some choose to go to Mr. Biggs (more expensive) over cooking at home (cheaper) - convenience.

THIS IS NIGERIA and am saying it again that WAEC & NECO will not let a second or third party access its database based on the simple fact that a great percentage of Nigerians will edit the result of his/her grandmother's-nephew's aunt's junior brother's result to allow him get admission easily

broadcode:
based on your argument above, one could also argue that by allowing my former employer to access the georgia driver database, that nefarious individuals could have ceased the opportunity to alter adverse drivers records. This hasn't happened to-date, since 1999. Besides, I state again, you don't know what you are saying for a fact. Could you be right? Sure. But you could also be wrong. It's 50-50. Similarly, I haven't heard anything bad happen with respect to flashcash, etc.

Let's not let the "This is Nigeria" bug bite and infect us. Again, there are many things which people said couldn't be done in Nigeria but which are thriving now. Let's think positively please.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by kamsik(m): 9:45pm On Nov 02, 2007
i my dear developer, my own contribution here is that it possible but one need an API and Mailbox protocol to write the

"mailbox-based scheme for designing flexible and adaptive message delivery protocols in mobile agent (MA) systems. The scheme associates each mobile agent with a mailbox while allowing the decoupling between them, i.e., a mobile agent can migrate to a new site without bringing its mailbox. By separating the concerns of locating the mailbox of a mobile agent and delivering a message to the agent, we obtain a large space of protocol design with flexibility. Using a three-dimensional model based on the scheme, we have developed a taxonomy of MA communication protocols, which not only covers, as special cases, several known MA message delivery protocols, but also allows for the design of new ones well suited for various application requirements. We describe such an efficient and adaptive protocol derived front the model. The protocol guarantees reliable delivery of messages to mobile agents. We analyze the design trade-offs and performance of the protocol, using an analytic model as well as extensive simulation experiments."

ur's

kamsik
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by Afam(m): 12:02pm On Nov 03, 2007
my2cents:

Let's not let the "This is Nigeria" bug bite and infect us. Again, there are many things which people said couldn't be done in Nigeria but which are thriving now. Let's think positively please.

The ability to implement what you are saying is not in doubt and it is not the wahala. The problem is that on this particular project the sponsoring bank and NECO/WAEC are only interested in the scratch cards because they are in this to make money otherwise the service could as well be free.

Until we get to a stage where website owners understand better what works and what doesn't work on the web it will be a long ride.
Re: Can You Build A Result Checking Portal For A School? by leoleo: 5:32pm On Nov 03, 2007
@2cent
Can i have your person contact, like mobile no.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Generate 500 Facebook Fans In 1 Hour - Free! / How To Get Mtn Free 50gb Now‼️ (new Update) / Cheap Windows Admin Rdp in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.