Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

NECO Records Another Mass Failure - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NECO Records Another Mass Failure (15155 Views)

Waec 2012/2013 : Yet Another Mass Failure Recorded- Here Is The ... / .... / Another Mass Failure Recorded As Neco Releases Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Phems(m): 9:02am On Mar 29, 2012
NECO records another mass failure[size=8pt][/size]

Only 10percent of candidates scored credit and above in core subjects

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has recorded another mass failure in the November/December Senior School Certificate Examinations (SSCE).

The registrar to the examination body, Professor Promise Okpala, made the announcement on Wednesday, while releasing the results at the council headquarters in Minna, Niger state.

The 2011 result that was just released by the council revealed that 10 percent of the 110,724 candidates that sat for the examinations scored credit and above in core subjects like English language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography.

Okpala said there was improvement in Mathematics as 41 percent of the students scored credit, pass and above, compared to that of last year, which recorded only 17 percent success in the same subject.

“It is troubling that at a time when the nation is facing decay in its moral standard with the rise of militancy, despite religious dedication, only 5 percent scored credit, pass and above in Islamic studies while less than one percent scored credit pass and above in Christian religious studies,” he said.

The results that were presented showed a 40 percent reduction in the number of candidates that sat for the examination in 2011, but the registrar attributed that to the council’s determination towards eradicating malpractices in the conduct of its examination.

For the past five years, the examination body has recorded mass failure.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/neco-records-another-mass-failure#.T3QRPDZK8hI.twitter
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by zannie(f): 9:27am On Mar 29, 2012
Kai! Dis is sad. But I bliv NECO made their marking standards a lot tougher after d mid 2000s. Cos it was never dis bad. I can remember students consoling themselves with their NECO after failing WAEC.

2 Likes

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by radiation(m): 9:47am On Mar 29, 2012
zannie: Kai! Dis is sad. But I bliv NECO made their marking standards a lot tougher after d mid 2000s. Cos it was never dis bad. I can remember students consoling themselves with their NECO after failing WAEC.

exactly,it was my conmsolation wen i did my SSCE
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Okijajuju1(m): 9:49am On Mar 29, 2012
NECO!!

If students are failing NECO, then no hope for WAEC!!
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by jethro2: 9:49am On Mar 29, 2012
Or maybe student dont read anymore and believe there are several shortcuts to passing exams nowadays. Crash programme, exposed papers, settlement of invigilators, special centres e t c
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Basics007: 9:50am On Mar 29, 2012
Social media keeps claiming it's victims

2 Likes

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by ektbear: 9:53am On Mar 29, 2012
Can we see a plot of pass rates over time?

Also, why is a pass rate of 10% bad?

Were we expecting 90% or something?

You can get even 100% pass rate if you like just by lowering your standards. But then I'm not sure how valuable such an exam would be..
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by kombats: 9:54am On Mar 29, 2012
zannie: Kai! Dis is sad. But I bliv NECO made their marking standards a lot tougher after d mid 2000s. Cos it was never dis bad. I can remember students consoling themselves with their NECO after failing WAEC.
radiation:

Okija_juju: NECO!!

If students are failing NECO, then no hope for WAEC!!
radiation:
na true oon

yea it use to be but not any more
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by sexyglow(f): 9:59am On Mar 29, 2012
Exactly!they no longer read!!Its Nollywood films,niger music,chating on 2go Facebook boyfriend and girl friend and all manner!No moral discipline. e
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by ignis: 10:00am On Mar 29, 2012
Why won't they fail? When they spend most of their time on 2go, chating rubbish..... Good for them.

1 Like

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Businesstools(m): 10:05am On Mar 29, 2012
And how are we sure 50% or more of the 10% that passed is not based on runs?
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by brainpulse: 10:13am On Mar 29, 2012
What do you expect, with students displaying their academic ability with how many PS III games they have played, latest apps on I-phone, BB, androids etc spends lot of time on FB, Twists, BB and browsing away their time. During our time the only thing we know is Jamb past questions,WAEC past questions, 'A' level past questions. They also believe that they will always be admitted no matter what because of the in flock of the Private institutions.

1 Like

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Odunnu: 10:27am On Mar 29, 2012
sexy glow: Exactly!they no longer read!!Its Nollywood films,niger music,chating on 2go Facebook boyfriend and girl friend and all manner!No moral discipline. e
You are sounding just like moi! I can see the anger in your eyes.
@topic: I weep for the system and this generation at large. Its saddening!
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by zannie(f): 10:29am On Mar 29, 2012
Yea, social networking is part of the problem, with ease of internet access. Smh
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Parnassuss(m): 10:39am On Mar 29, 2012
jethro2: Or maybe student dont read anymore and believe there are several shortcuts to passing exams nowadays. Crash programme, exposed papers, settlement of invigilators, special centres e t c

This is the only explanation. The bigger picture would thus include the fact that these kids elder bros and sisters who diligently attend church and mosques also fervently bribe, cheat, steal and scheme to make money, telling these kids that its ok to buy results, its ok to lie in ur resume, its ok to use ur body to attain ur goals etc. NECO may have failed them in this exam but we have failed in life's test!
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by slimming: 10:47am On Mar 29, 2012
Since they have substituted merit for connection in employment and contract in Nigeria public service and govt activities had been politicise to fovour party members only, they should not expect excellency anymore from the student meanwhile merit is not been considered for anything anymore.
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 29, 2012
Damn!!! 10 percent pass rate. Times have really changed indeed.
I remember 2001 when I wrote WAEC, everyone blanked himself out to the outside world. Countless nights of going through topics from as far back as js 2 up to the present senior secondary class. The believe that exams like WAEC are to be written just once and that's it. The personal believe that it is rather to come fully prepared than believe in cheating materials that may not be authentic.

The outcome, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) result my school ever recorded: eight As and one B. A result that baffled even my oyinbo professor the first time he saw it and I still proved to him once more that it is one result I can defend any day.

With the same zeal and urge, without relenting, I delved into NECO, which wasn't as good but still miles better than many: six As and three Cs.

Teachers, parents and government are equally culpable for the predicament our youth have found themselves in today. Nobody gives a d.amn anymore. Kids are having girlfriends now from a teenage age as young as 14, sending grown men love requests over Facebook, know all the instant messenger on the appstore or blackberry.

Together, Nigerians are destroying their children's future because many believe money can buy success. Well, very soon, the money would even fail them.

Should I talk about the Nigerian graduates? Those ones are even worse and nothing to write home about. One that just came up here around where I live claims he studied Estate Management but he doesn't know what a mortgage is and how market interest rates are derived.
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 29, 2012
They don't just read and at the end they hope on wrong answers circulated through BBM. cry
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Ejine(m): 11:02am On Mar 29, 2012
Whaaaaaat!? NECO!!!? Of all things to fail. . . N.E.C.O!!!
Wetin dem go now come do for WAEC, which is undoubtedly tougher!?
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by joanana(f): 11:08am On Mar 29, 2012
Hmmmm .. This is a very big problem that needs immediate solution!!! Students are in trouble. if u fail NECO there no hope in ur WACE result. Good Lord save your children. Facebook n BB ping!!! has ruin many students, they don't read anymore. They believe in cheats n bribing invigilators. undecided undecided
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by deltalife(m): 11:32am On Mar 29, 2012
Its time Government consider scrapping NECO. they are just not worth being a national body because it is only breeding a million of discouraged young youth into tout(Boko).
In what way has NECO being a national body helped Nigerias Education?[b][/b]
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by emsquare(m): 11:44am On Mar 29, 2012

True!!!
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by tuniski: 11:47am On Mar 29, 2012
It is not only NECO also WAEC! Let the truth be said, these are the products of mass proliferation of business centers masqurading as private schools. I knew it will come to this a generation wasted cos check it out education is now commercialized and no student is poor nor repeats cos profit must be made and parents decieved. It is a pity d other day it was a mass failure by 2:1 and 1st class graduates for NNPC recruitment!!!
Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Tolulop001(f): 11:55am On Mar 29, 2012
Bandit C.:
Damn!!! 10 percent pass rate. Times have really changed indeed.
I remember 2001 when I wrote WAEC, everyone blanked himself out to the outside world. Countless nights of going through topics from as far back as js 2 up to the present senior secondary class. The believe that exams like WAEC are to be written just once and that's it. The personal believe that it is rather to come fully prepared than believe in cheating materials that may not be authentic.

The outcome, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) result my school ever recorded: eight As and one B. A result that baffled even my oyinbo professor the first time he saw it and I still proved to him once more that it is one result I can defend any day.

With the same zeal and urge, without relenting, I delved into NECO, which wasn't as good but still miles better than many: six As and three Cs.

Teachers, parents and government are equally culpable for the predicament our youth have found themselves in today. Nobody gives a d.amn anymore. Kids are having girlfriends now from a teenage age as young as 14, sending grown men love requests over Facebook, know all the instant messenger on the appstore or blackberry.

Together, Nigerians are destroying their children's future because many believe money can buy success. Well, very soon, the money would even fail them.

Should I talk about the Nigerian graduates? Those ones are even worse and nothing to write home about. One that just came up here around where I live claims he studied Estate Management but he doesn't know what a mortgage is and how market interest rates are derived.

I could not have said it better! When SSCE was approaching in that same 2001, I was a recluse. No friends, no parties. I am still proud of how well I did any day any time! 8As and a C (in Yoruba, lol). NECO was said to be harder but the grand prize was SSCE.

There was no GSM talk less of Facebook. It must take a determined kid to succeed in this era of connectivity.

1 Like

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by azpekuliar: 12:06pm On Mar 29, 2012
sexy glow: Exactly!they no longer read!!Its Nollywood films,niger music,chating on 2go Facebook boyfriend and girl friend and all manner!No moral discipline. e

Ah! You forgot the almighty European football, that even adorns the exercise books they take to school, no more multiplication and linear conversions tables behind anymore. Shame! undecided

1 Like

Re: NECO Records Another Mass Failure by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 29, 2012
The federal govt should scrap NECO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NANS To Presidency - "We'll Not Vote In This Coming Election" / What Is The Cause Of The Flood In Nigeria This Year? / The Polytechnic Ibadan Post Jamb Form Is Out Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.