Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! (2621 Views)

Nigeria And Uk Which Do You Prefer: / Concern Over Uk Spousal Visa - Very Urgent / Canada or Uk which one is your preference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by floyd: 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2007
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and would like to give a big thumbs-up to the originator and the members.

I need to make a sort of lifetime career/educational decision and need inputs from as many people as possible.

So, I have 2 different student visas to study for an MBA. One is for the US (University of Florida) and the other is for the UK (University of Buckingham,). I’m meant to commence studies at either countries January 2008. I have a Bsc in Business Administration and 4 years of experience. Now, my question is which option should I choose based on the following criteria:
1. Possibility of getting a good job after graduation
2. Ease of eventually obtaining permanent residency
3. Quality of life

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

2 options - US and UK. Which one should I choose? Very Urgent!!!
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by omogidi234(m): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2007
If you already have a student visa for U.K Congrats. I will advice you to opt for U.K. I know for sure In Scotland you have 2 years to work legally after your studies. The rest of the U.K put in motion something similar to that in July 2007 but it is just 1 year. However, you know the difference, you can evade tax In the U.S until you are caught while you cannot evade tax in the U.K. You know the implication of paying tax from the little you have. I am sure you will know that is the reason why our people in the U.S can spend pay "anyhow" so to say unlike the ones in the U.K. The choice is yours.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by saucekid(m): 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2007
choose GABON grin grin grin grin

seriously,i'd prefer the states
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by shimfe(m): 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2007
Guy if your claims are true. I 'll advice u opt for the US.Better quality Of life & any certificate from US has a far greater wieght than any part of the world.B4 u graduate u can find out from how to organise a stay, Congratulations & good luck
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by wed123(m): 6:30pm On Nov 01, 2007
@ poster: WTF? are you considering the UK when you have a US visa? seriously? Are you f***ing nuts or what?
O.k, I'm sorry, but I had to let the steam out. My dear friend, US is the "last bus-stop" and most people in the UK will give everything to move over to the states. I'll choose the states in a heartbeart. You're welcome man.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by eryck(m): 6:59pm On Nov 01, 2007
floyd:

1. Possibility of getting a good job after graduation
You will definately get a good job after graduation in either UK or US but i guess UK is known for better education than any where else in the world.

floyd:

2. Ease of eventually obtaining permanent residency
Each country has its own immigration rules, but UK is known for its stringent rules. Based on that US is better.

floyd:

3. Quality of life

Both has good Quality of life, but i know the fun in US cannot be compared to uk,it all boils down to your life style & what u want. Weigh your options

IF I WERE TO BE IN YOUR SHOES I WILL OPT FOR US of A (land of many opportunites)

How did you get both visas @ dsame time. when peeps cant even get ONE lol

ALL BEST MAN!
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by Omonla(f): 7:39pm On Nov 01, 2007
Much respect to the UK.

But if it was me, I would choose USA. Especially if you are paying for your education with conversion from Nigerian Naira and no scholarships. US schools are definitely cheaper, and Eryck has said it all for everything else.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by Bossman(m): 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2007
I can only speak for the US. But each country has its advantages and disadvantages.

First of all, Univ. of Florida is a very good school. So, you will not have problems getting a job after getting an MBA from there. Secondly, the US probably has more opportunities for you after graduation, and it's likely easier to get permanent residence. Bottom line, it's easier to make it in the US than in the UK.

On a last note, you will probably see a lot of UK folks that would not mind moving to the US, versus the other way around.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by floyd: 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2007
Looks like more people are inclined towards the US so far.

omogidi234:

However, you know the difference, you can evade tax In the US until you are caught while you cannot evade tax in the UK.I am sure you will know that is the reason why our people in the US can spend pay "anyhow" so to say unlike the ones in the UK. The choice is yours.

Tax evasion? shocked funny criteria but I get your point all the same. I think I like the idea of "spending pay any how"  grin

eryck:

How did you get both visas @ dsame time. when peeps can't even get ONE lol

I pursued both visas simultaneously. I got the UK visa first though, and I feel it was a sort of catalyst to my getting the other one. Like the guy @ the US embassy asked me why I wanted to study in the US despite having a UK visa and I just told him that I felt US schools had a higher standard undecided. The dude nodded his head, smiled, and said “that’s right” (with so much pride).
And that was it.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by eryck(m): 9:48am On Nov 02, 2007
floyd:

Like the guy @ the US embassy asked me why I wanted to study in the US despite having a UK visa and I just told him that I felt US schools had a higher standard
The dude nodded his head, smiled, and said “that’s right” (with so much pride).
And that was it.

Thats one way round @ American Embassy (Americans and their EGO cool )

Some1 was also given his visa @ American embassy because he said "of all my friends am the only person that has not visited America so i want to go and see how it really looks like". shocked shocked shocked
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by bowa(m): 4:39pm On Nov 02, 2007
Am so glad for you for having what thosands of people are dying for.All the same the two are both kool,but i'll want you to make research on the school that is most respected in the course you're going for.It's not about the fun of the country that matters,it's about what they've got to offer.best of luck
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by shescute4(f): 11:50pm On Nov 02, 2007
lucky u.i'ld prefer the US.and as others have said,i guess the US will be ur best bet.anyways,in whatever u do,all the best. wink
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by ksa2much(m): 8:09pm On Nov 07, 2007
congrat on ur visa approval well i will advice u to go for the us stuff cos dere is much benefit indere pls kindly mail me got sometin to discuss wit you my email add is ksa2much@yahoo.com thanks
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by Democrat(m): 3:03pm On Nov 08, 2007
Floyd

I am sorry, But i do not think you have either Visa. If you did you will not be having this conversation.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by floyd: 3:59am On Nov 09, 2007
Democrat:

Floyd

I am sorry, But i do not think you have either Visa. If you did you will not be having this conversation.
Do you have to be sorry? undecided
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by yodiyokun(f): 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2007
It's either you do not have the visa or you have not done your research.

If you have done your research, we will not be having this conversation, this is a no-brainer.

U.S PERIOD.

As i dey Canada so, I still dey do U.S visa lottery
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by debosky(m): 9:41pm On Nov 09, 2007
yodiyokun where in Canada are you @? maybe we can hook up wink
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by almondjoy(f): 10:48pm On Nov 09, 2007
You will have to investigate the school systems in the different countries to make a wise decision.  Many schools have a system of "payment for degree" programmes and Uk and USA have such schools.  If it is an accredited University within the system, then it does not matter if it is the UK or the USA as long as you get a sound education.

If you were talking of "socio-economics" and opportunities for the future as an immigrant not a student--that is another different matter.

As for getting job opportunites with an "MBA" after graduation.  That is tricky since the market is flooded with MBA holders and unemployment rate is very high due to many factors including "prejudice".   Most people do not trust "Nigerians" in the "business sectors"---world wide----- for reasons we all know about.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by floyd: 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2007
Omonla, eryck, Bossman, omogidi234, bowa, shescute4 , bignsirim, yodiyokun, almondjoy: thank y'all for your inputs.

For those who have suggested that I do some research, well, this is part of the research, or is it?. It's not like I lack knowledge of the two countries but I want to hear (and confirm) the facts from as many people as possible. And I'm getting a clear picture of it.

@ ksa2much: what is the something you want to discuss with me? We can discuss it right here.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by EloSela(f): 5:29pm On Dec 06, 2007
@Wed123

'O.k, I'm sorry, but I had to let the steam out. My dear friend, US is the "last bus-stop" and most people in the UK will give everything to move over to the states. I'll choose the states in a heartbeart. You're welcome man.'

Er no thanks!
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by awonboiz: 6:18pm On Dec 06, 2007
@poster

congrats o!!!na US b d koko, moreso, one of my guy de dat university gangan wey u de head, e de do im phd dere
and e tak say 9jas yapa small for dere (atleast u no go feel lonley)
d weather sef de tight plus u go get job afta skool, infact u must get grin

so floyd, WELCOME to da States cheesy
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by proo212(m): 6:28pm On Dec 06, 2007
@EloSela.

Many Thanks!

Not everybody wants to live in the US! Land of opportunities agreed but I'd rather stay here thank you very much. I'm sure you're very happy where you are. so am I

P.S I'll take Canada over the US any day,

@poster. If you have a good school in either country I'm sure you'll be OK. You can also go to INSEAD, IMS, ESCAP, ESMT and you'll be fine. But looks like in the US everyone has an MBA undecided
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by imback(m): 4:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
xx
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by SweetT1: 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2007
No place like The good 'ol USA ! especially Los Angeles, city of angels.
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by omega25red(m): 9:31pm On Dec 11, 2007
Well on advantage of being in the UK is the medical benefits you can get it for cheap but staying after your visa runs out you would have a hard time getting permanent residency it took my dad like 14yrs if not more in the US education is good but getting around undocumented is easier as in nobody will stop you in the street and ask you for your papers and try to deport you i heard that happens in the uk and you have so many chances to get ahead in the US it seems almost imposible as an illegal in the UK
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by darfur(m): 12:54pm On Dec 13, 2007
guy make i tell you something, relax for naija. this na honest yarns. the UK will reduce you to sub human levels psychologically and if you are not fortified with a thick skin you wont be able to stand it. i hear the US is even worse. this is an unfortunate prejudicial combination of being black and being african. add together the fact that you are nigerian, male,young(?) then you see that the system willl be seriously against you.

let me not discourage you. pursue your dreams, but i felt you need to know where you are heading to. so that you dont suffer a shock on arrival which may take 6 months to recover from.

honest thots of mine
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by almondjoy(f): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2007
darfur:

guy make i tell you something, relax for naija. this na honest yarns. the UK will reduce you to sub human levels psychologically and if you are not fortified with a thick skin you wont be able to stand it. i hear the US is even worse. this is an unfortunate prejudicial combination of being black and being african. add together the fact that you are nigerian, male,young(?) then you see that the system willl be seriously against you.

let me not discourage you. pursue your dreams, but i felt you need to know where you are heading to. so that you don't suffer a shock on arrival which may take 6 months to recover from.
honest thoughts of mine

Laff wan kill me oooooooooooooooooh! Which other sub human level do you need to experience after living in Nigeria? cheesy

Mind you, they guy said he is going to school. Anything wrong with schooling abroad? grin
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by SweetT1: 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2007
@Darfur

What year did you get deported from London? You sound so angry !
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 15, 2007
would be blind dumb decision going back to uk after you were deported.but why cant ur bum settle in naija cool
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by princeonx: 11:09pm On Dec 15, 2007
OK Guy! You can NEVER EVER EVER have 2 student/study visa for 2 different Countries at the same time. Unless you're using two diff passport/names not to talk of U.S and U.K same time.

I can't even believe people are responding to this! GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by darfur(m): 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2007
Sweet T:

@Darfur

What year did you get deported from London? You sound so angry !

@swee t

angry? did i sound angry? wow shocked i was just talking. just my opinion. that's all. reason why i say it is this. . . many people are doing fine in naija and they think when they come here it'll be business as usual. . . . but it is not so. they get sooo so pissed and mad. but not like me, i was a poor dude in naija so when i came here there was no pride in me to stop me from doing whatever i have to do to get along but not these guys who are ?"big men" in naija. they complain so much that i pity them.

by the way why do nigerians always change topic in the middle of an argument to degrade the other person who has a different opinion
Re: 2 Options - US And UK. Which One Should I Choose? Very Urgent! by SweetT1: 7:50pm On Dec 16, 2007
@Darfur

That is exactly the problem, EGO ! Nigerians have huge ego problems, Western world is about equality and there is no " Ranka dede" from any subordinates. It's really tough, living in Nigeria. Even if you have money, there are armed robbers everywhere, the political systems is highly unstable, there is even higher level of discrimination among the tribes, too much jealous and envy. I'm not saying western world by all means but atleast, they give you a chance to survive and get ahead. I don't know about London, but the USA gives you a very good shot at achieving your dream if you are legal. USA has offered me what Nigeria denied me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Day At The U.S Embassy / Hotel Booking In Pretoria Without Payment How Can I Get It Done Or Booked / How To Get To Ikeja City Mall From Ajao Estate By Public Transportation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.