Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,815 members, 7,806,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira (63301 Views)

President Buhari Voice Recognition Program - Contest For 50,000 Naira / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Convert Existing Website To Phone App? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by SoftVersion(m): 4:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Seun, I‘ve been working on something like this, as in scripting to make a high traffic website run with high speed, I‘m not yet a graduate... Can I contest?

3 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by divinetalent(m): 4:18pm On Mar 31, 2012
Its a nice idea segun . . . . Why restricting ur competition to certain programming language . . . The main objective should be to have a nearly perfect script that can flexible work amazing without a hitch. . . However, I can even add more good features to jamb portal using php & mysql as backend . . . . If u have the connection . . . . I have D Stuff U need . . . .

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by debedebe(m): 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
Chai let me find a gud host, and gud data storage capacity...lol, i wil inform u if am done @ seun, put small pepper 4 d dow ...

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
I still believe JAMB website been down is because of their server, they should just learn how to switch servers that's all and it will solve their problem.

No matter how good the script is, my own stand is still the SERVER LOAD

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by jmoore(m): 4:24pm On Mar 31, 2012
ActiveMan:

No matter how good the script is, my own stand is still the SERVER LOAD

exactly, is the website failing because of the script used or server capacity?

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by jajad: 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2012
jmoore:

exactly, is the website failing because of the script used or server capacity?

All this one na grammar. Build an efficient JAMB site, one that will work using as little server capacity as possible, and win N150,000. The argument about why the actual JAMB site crashed is moot.

5 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by OPEYEMIAD(m): 4:36pm On Mar 31, 2012
Am already working on it as i saw this post but the website is www.opeyemiademon.gnbo.com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Koolking(m): 4:44pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun: Hello Guys & Girls,

The JAMB website goes down every year when results are released. It's a national embarrassment, and it needs to be fixed right away. I bet the JAMB website is going to crash again after the next UTME exam if we don't show them how it's done!

I hereby announce a programming contest to create an open source JAMB result checking script just to show the JAMB Tech guys how it's done. You're to create a simple JAMB result checking website that works just like the official version and can handle millions of candidate records and heavy traffic from all of them trying to check their results on the same day.

I'm also offering a prize of 150 thousand naira to the person who writes the best JAMB result checking script, but in order to win the prize, you must satisfy certain conditions:

1) You must be unemployed or employed/self-employed and currently earning less than ₦251k per month.
2) You must develop your JAMB result checker with Python 3.2, CherryPy , MySQL 5+, & hg on Google Code.
3) You must indicate your interest before 12 noon on Sunday 1st April by posting a link to your repo here.
4) You must complete the result checker before 6pm on Friday 6th April and link to it on this thread.

The writer of the best result checking script as assessed by me and other judges will win 150,000 naira, provided you qualify and follow all the rules. The money will be deposited into your account about 3 days after the submission deadline.

Ask me any question about this contest and I'll try to answer you promptly. May you win the ₦150k.

Good luck!

why this [bold] criteria oga seun?

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by softdir: 4:51pm On Mar 31, 2012
This is a very welcome development, however, why the limitation in technology used to develop the application. I am an advocate of dot Net and as such i would advise the use of asp.net and sql server as these have functionality to manage such traffic. I am very interested in this and I would lioe a crack at it as soon as the above technologies have been included.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by jergins: 4:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
Programmers definately understimate the needs for DB Administrator, SW Dev is nt abt just d coder(programmer) alone.

The JAMB, website is most abt the Database design problems(server) and then may b fetch query codes. Wc most naija designer rarely put in2 consideration, as long as it works in testing phase. The best solution is to work with best DB design approach(Relationships etc).
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by braine(m): 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
I love the idea. Really waiting for the resulting websites with some visible changes

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 5:00pm On Mar 31, 2012
Koolking: why this [bold] criteria oga seun?
I want to promote Python3 & CherryPy in Nigeria. I also want to bring great programmers out of the closet (for jobs).

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by ACM10: 5:04pm On Mar 31, 2012
Abeg 150k small well wel. Seun u too dey stingy. WHY! Afterall, e no reach my lunch bill for Transcorp Hilton grin
I go join the contest if you upgrade am to 500k grin
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by lifestyle1(m): 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2012
How long will it take me to learn python ?
Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by PrinceDudu(m): 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
Add java nah, abeg.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2012
life_style: How long will it take me to learn python?

If you're competent in another programming language, Python is the easiest programming language to pick up. Just download Python 3.2.3 and read the Python tutorial that comes with it. If anything is not clear, browse/search StackOverflow. Go through the Python module documentation. Ask questions on this thread.

Once you understand Python, download the CherryPy web framework and install it. Read the documentation to get up to speed and play with it for a while. If you have questions, search the web or ask on this thread.

You will also need the MySQL driver for Python. Download this and follow the Python 3 installation instructions. Of course, you must download MySQL to your machine in order to use it.

4 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Slyphax(m): 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2012
I dnt like d fact that you have to restrict the whole thing to a certain language.I suggest you open it to a wider range of languages.Alot of us dnt use Phyton and after using PHP,Servlets n JSP and ASP.Net,going over to phyton would be a demanding ask. One cannot dedicate all the time to web based programming abeg.Open it up for all languages and then let the testing team decide the most effective..There's more than one way to kill this JAMB rat and JAMB need a high capacity dedicated server.That our body controlling admissions into tertiary institutions cant effectively manage their website goes to show how poor our educational sector is.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by lifestyle1(m): 5:27pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:

If you're competent in another programming language, Python is the easiest programming language to pick up. Just download Python 3.2.3 and read the Python tutorial that comes with it. If anything is not clear, browse/search StackOverflow. Go through the Python module documentations. Ask questions on this thread.

Once you understand Python, download the CherryPy web framework and install it. Read the documentation to get up to speed and play with it for a while. If you have questions, search the web or ask on this thread.

You will also need the MySQL driver for Python. Download this and follow the Python 3 installation instructions.

Thanks I will check it out...

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Slyphax(m): 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun:

If you're competent in another programming language, Python is the easiest programming language to pick up. Just download Python 3.2.3 and read the Python tutorial that comes with it. If anything is not clear, browse/search StackOverflow. Go through the Python module documentations. Ask questions on this thread.

You will also need the MySQL driver for Python. Download this and follow the Python 3 installation instructions.
OK.......Lets have a look at this phyton of a language.Wanna knw y u rate it ahead of d traditional languages we use

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Tosinsure: 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2012

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by eazyd(m): 5:49pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun,

Can someone living in the usa participate? currently a student and i'm familiar with python 2.7.

If i get a go-ahead i will create this script in python.

3 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by awemef: 5:53pm On Mar 31, 2012
Funny enough this jamb site thing shutting down has nothing to do with the coding of the site, its the hosting that can't handle that much traffic which should be worked on, so u people wasting ur time to code a non-problem area is unnecessary. Since I got where the problem area is, I deserve to get the 150K rite? And seun open ur eyes to PHP, ASP, JSP etc a little, everytime u bring up a contest u limit it to phyton cause dats what u use, u make dat amateur language look as if its one big ish.

6 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by lifestyle1(m): 5:57pm On Mar 31, 2012
Sir, will this outline help in anyway ?

Tutorials:

1 - Installing Python
2 - Numbers and Math
3 - Variables
4 - Modules and Functions
5 - How to Save Your Programs
6 - Strings
7 - More on Strings
8 - Raw Input
9 - Sequences and Lists
10 - Slicing
11 - Editing Sequences
12 - More List Functions
13 - Slicing Lists
14 - Intro to Methods
15 - More Methods
16 - Sort and Tuples
17 - Strings n Stuff
18 - Cool String Methods
19 - Dictionary
20 - If Statement
21 - else and elif
22 - Nesting Statements
23 - Comparison Operators
24 - And and Or
25 - For and While Loops
26 - Infinite Loops and Break
27 - Building Functions
28 - Default Parameters
29 - Multiple Parameters
30 - Parameter Types
31 - Tuples as Parameters
32 - Object Oriented Program
33 - Classes and Self
34 - Subclasses Superclasses
35 - Overwrite Variable on Sub
36 - Multiple Parent Classes
37 - Constructors
38 - Import Modules
39 - reload Modules
40 - Getting Module Info
41 - Working with Files
42 - Reading and Writing
43 - Writing Lines

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by laykhorn(m): 5:58pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Seun, I think you shld be holdin a post in those apex of goverment. Especially the educative or sport sectors, it looks like u are a man who loves challenges nd competition.
@op, its sad i am jst a good guy in HTML, nd i'm jst learnin programmin languages like C+, nd PHP.hw i wish i kld jes pocket ur bucks. Do me a favour of giving the JAMB website another nd make this competition next yr. Also, make that sum 1.5M cos 150k is currently almost valueles in the economy.

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by eazyd(m): 6:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
awe_mef: Funny enough this jamb site thing shutting down has nothing to do with the coding of the site, its the hosting that can't handle that much traffic which should be worked on, so u people wasting ur time to code a non-problem area is unnecessary. Since I got where the problem area is, I deserve to get the 150K rite? And seun open ur eyes to PHP, ASP, JSP etc a little, everytime u bring up a contest u limit it to phyton cause dats what u use, u make dat amateur language look as if its one big ish.

Seun is just trying to promote the language in Nigeria, if you are familiar with other languages then python shouldn't be a problem for you, its his contest so he sets the rule. Come up with yours or if you r interested in Seun's contest simple follow his rules and widen your horizon by learning python.

6 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2012
If you're interested in this contest, create a project on Google Code, Github or Bitbucket and post a link to the source code repo on this thread. If you don't indicate your interest today or tomorrow, you won't be allowed to participate later.

2 Likes

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by eazyd(m): 6:06pm On Mar 31, 2012
eazyd: Seun,

Can someone living in the usa participate? currently a student and i'm familiar with python 2.7.

If i get a go-ahead i will create this script in python.

Can you answer this so i can indicate my interest ASAP

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by ektbear: 6:25pm On Mar 31, 2012
Well done, Seun. A competition like this is a great way to motivate people to learn programming.

1 Like

Re: Build A JAMB Result Checking Website To Win 150,000 Naira by Seun(m): 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2012
eazyd: Can you answer this so i can indicate my interest ASAP
This is a really tough decision for me. You can enter but let me think about the prize issue for a while.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet Dare Obasanjo Who Works With Microsoft / The Greatest Programmer On Nairaland / Funny Programming Memes. Just For Laughs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.