Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! (10900 Views)

Throwback Photo Of Pastor Adeboye And Wife Sitting At A Meeting / With All Of The Different Religions, How Can I Know Which One Is Correct? / Goshen360 And Tbaba. Pharisees Of Different Religions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by bashydemy(m): 4:08am On Apr 06, 2012
Kay 17: I don't like the manner Islam divides humanity into the believers and the disbelievers (infidel). It exploits differences. Why should a father be responsible for the salvation of his children, when both have different minds??
And why should a father be responsible for the well being of his children Financially?
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by bashydemy(m): 4:41am On Apr 06, 2012
This topic concern me so much.. I am a Muslim got marry to a christian but she never want to embrace my faith. I have try so much things don't work out fine. My wife and kids are in Nigeria, I reside in a neighboring country, I do come home often but never been a happy man when ever i see my wife taking my children to church every Sunday morning. I plan to change there school to an Islamic school and also find a private Arabic teacher for them but my wife never agree with me on that and we have been having misunderstanding over this same issue and am in the process of taking another wife. an advice is needed here please.

N.B.. She has been asking me to take her to registry which i haven't for years cos my parents are against this too i think cos of the religion issue.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Callotti: 5:05am On Apr 06, 2012
Mother Catholic. . .Father Anglican.
THEY NEVER ATTENDED THE SAME CHURCH!
The children went to both!

My husband is Catholic. . .I am agnostic.(ALL SIBLINGS EITHER CHRISTIANS OR AGNOSTICS)
Children go to Catholic church while I SLEEP all day IN BED!
The children can find their own WAY, TRUTH AND LIFE. . .like I found mine.
Free world. . .everyone is happy.

UNLESS YOU ARE A MISERABLE CONTROL FREAK. . .then you would worry about what others are believing in.
NOT MY GADDEM BUSINESS. . .I DO MY OWN THING! cool

In this house of mine. . .NO BARRY BOTHERS ME. . .I do what I damn well please. . .without disturbing any other.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE WORLD!!! TANK YE LORD!!! cool
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 9:11am On Apr 06, 2012
I am a Muslim from Core North. i Believe in inter Religious Marriage when the children Grow tell them the message of Allah is Up to them. i will Marry From Christ and i will have no Problem with my Children Going to Church coz. I never have sentiment i Stronly Believe in Freedom of Religion as Basis of Our Existance. I have no problem with Church or Mosque Goers at all. Be it my wife or Children. I Rest my Case.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by UKBobo(m): 9:46am On Apr 06, 2012
In Sierra Leone, couples marry peacefully across religious denominations - however I think like most things in Nigeria, (from weddings, elections to football teams)it is a 'do or die' affair so myopia, intolerance and stubborness reign.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by abdulkayus(m): 11:16am On Apr 06, 2012
In islam, a muslim man is allow to marry a xtain or jew female bt a xtain or jew female is nt allow to marry a muslim lady, bt still its very far preferable for a muslim man to marry a muslim lady, as for me being a muslim, i can never marry any1 outside my religion God willin, most of d muslims men and females in 9ja esp in southern 9ja dat marry xtains are nt dat religious in islam, dey are mostly nominal muslims. Islam is d right way, shyne ur eyes

1 Like

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 11:28am On Apr 06, 2012
bashy_demy: This topic concern me so much.. I am a Muslim got marry to a christian but she never want to embrace my faith. I have try so much things don't work out fine. My wife and kids are in Nigeria, I reside in a neighboring country, I do come home often but never been a happy man when ever i see my wife taking my children to church every Sunday morning. I plan to change there school to an Islamic school and also find a private Arabic teacher for them but my wife never agree with me on that and we have been having misunderstanding over this same issue and am in the process of taking another wife. an advice is needed here please.

N.B.. She has been asking me to take her to registry which i haven't for years cos my parents are against this too i think cos of the religion issue.

if she likes,i think she can feel free to go to church.but she should not take the children with her.at least you should have agreed before marrying her that your children will practice islam,go to mosque (no church),have muslim names only,and attend muslim schools or at most non-religious schools.

if you are thinking of taking up another wife,that is good for her.but please dont abandon your children to her.make sure before you take up another wife,your children are not with her.take the children to wherever you are or let your muslim family members train them.if you take up another wife and your children are with her,she will not only succeed in sending your children to church, she will also succeed in manipulating them against you.she will make sure they hate you and your religion because you took up another wife and "abandoned" them (as she will mislead them to believe).

try to convince her that if she wants to be your wife and remain christian,christianity should not be practiced in your house and the children are muslims.she can be going to her church.that is her destiny she is following.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by aryzgreat: 11:29am On Apr 06, 2012
^^^^
clap for ya self
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 11:31am On Apr 06, 2012
informatix: I am a Muslim from Core North. i Believe in inter Religious Marriage when the children Grow tell them the message of Allah is Up to them. i will Marry From Christ and i will have no Problem with my Children Going to Church coz. I never have sentiment i Stronly Believe in Freedom of Religion as Basis of Our Existance. I have no problem with Church or Mosque Goers at all. Be it my wife or Children. I Rest my Case.

you are an irresponsible man.freedom of religion is fine in allowing your wife go astray.but it is absolutely wrong by you neglecting your role as a father and head of the house and not guiding your children properly.apparently,being from the core-north is no ticket to guidance or sanity in life matters.

1 Like

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 11:34am On Apr 06, 2012
UK Bobo: In Sierra Leone, couples marry peacefully across religious denominations - however I think like most things in Nigeria, (from weddings, elections to football teams)it is a 'do or die' affair so myopia, intolerance and stubborness reign.

i've being to your country.the situation is ridiculous.sierra leone is majority muslim.the current president is christian though.in sierra leone is where you can find a muslim naming his child "PAUL" and a christian naming his child "MUHAMMAD" or "HASSAN".i just keep laughing!i dont know if this should be mistaken for "tolerance" or is lack of knowledge.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Sweetnecta: 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
@Bashy_damy: You can see from your wife's refusal to let your children go to Islamic school and have a private islamic teacher while she is every sunday happy to take them to church that religion of christianity is important to her, and your Islam is unimportant to her, while she can't be a mother with you.

Allah says call the children by their father's name. If you are the father, you have at least a degree greater ownership right over the children than your wife has. You are also a degree higher authority than your wife's authority in the house. Your wife's authority is under your authority; a larger umbrella of authority.

You need to grow spine, mehn and many advised you to stop her from taking your children to churches, sometimes in the past; if you had not allowed her to start at all, there would not have been this much heartache in your life right now. If you had taken the advise of the NL muslims when you first raised it, the heartache will be almost gone by now either because there is a divorce long time which you have bounced out of, or she has followed your instruction; even herself leaving christianity, instead of making your children believing a man, a ghost and a father are all 1 God, instead of a make up 3 gods; one of them being tortured and later killed, today being the 'anniversary' of such a fantasy of fantastically horrible death.

How you african muslims living in africa turn to christian women for wives instead of potty training them first, if you have to reject Islamic women who if not in hijab and kimar already, but at least do not take gods with God as Lord. Your degree of pains and efforts will not be this intense; the children and even her will not be going to church, for such.

Prophet Ibrahim told Prophet Ismail [as] to divorce his wife in prophetic manner. Allah then replace her with a better woman. For me, muslim woman has right over me than any other class/grade of women.

If a woman wants me she has to want all that is good that I want; i do not want a cross staring at me on the body of my lover. I do hope that where ever, I end up, Paradise, God Willing, my wife/wives shall end up there with me. Amin.

@Informatix: Islam is not core north. Islam is obedience to Allah and following His Messenger [as]. If you love your christian wife so much as not to care what way of worship your children ends up or not even worship, why not marry any woman; idolater, christian, jew, over muslim and why are you in Islam, if should not be important to your children? Your case is like the case of many arab youth who end up schooling in western countries and knowingly consume pork, intentionally and openly drink alcohol and indulge in fornication with whoever brings it on, to the amazement of so many of us african muslims. No wonder some american muslim reverts greeted arab muslims saying 'salaamualaykum yaa kafirun", because the practice kafarah; covering up the truth.

And to those who think religion is not important: I wonder what is more important than what is Important to God?

And to those who think God is not Important: I wonder what is making you getting closer to your end, while if you control your affairs, you will use your power of control to not age any longer and avoid the inevitable: death?
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Kay17: 2:05pm On Apr 06, 2012
ivoice247:

I agree with you but not totally. Firstly, we'll have to categorise non-muslims into 2 categories;- (i)Mushrikun (i.e. unbelievers and atheists),(ii) people of the scripture (i.e. christians and jews, who are called kufars or disbelievers).

The non-muslims who are Mushrikun are totally forbidden for muslims to marry, as allah stated in the glorious quran [ch2 v221]:-

And do not marry Al-Mushrikat (idolatresses, unbelievers etc.) till they believe. And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress, etc), even though she pleases you. And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe, and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater etc), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikun) invite you to the Fire, but Allah invites (you) to Paradise and Forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayat (proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember.

Now, the other non-muslims (i.e. christians & jews )called kufars or disbelievers, cannot marry muslim women, but the muslim men can marry them. That is, a christian man cannot marry a muslim lady but a muslim man can marry a christian lady. As Allah states in the glorious quran [ch5 v5]:-

Made lawful to you this day are At-Tayyibat (lawful) foods, which Allah has made lawful. The food of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money), desiring chastity not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girl-friends. And whosoever disbelieves in Faith, then fruitless is his work; and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers.

Any book advocates intolernance and inequality is the word of a "demon". So is the Quran. Why would Islam find a man on the basis of beliefs/superstition superior to another??

Why is Muslim superior to a Yoruba traditionalist?
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Kay17: 2:08pm On Apr 06, 2012
LagosShia:

you are an irresponsible man.freedom of religion is fine in allowing your wife go astray.but it is absolutely wrong by you neglecting your role as a father and head of the house and not guiding your children properly.apparently,being from the core-north is no ticket to guidance or sanity in life matters.
IF Islam is the way of Truth and Reason, why is there the need to indoctrinate them?? They would find the way to light through knowledge, wouldn't they?
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 3:06pm On Apr 06, 2012
Kay 17:
IF Islam is the way of Truth and Reason, why is there the need to indoctrinate them?? They would find the way to light through knowledge, wouldn't they?

it is the fear that men have the ability to be as stupid as you are or that men like you will mislead them.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by buzugee(m): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2012
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by joanana(f): 3:55pm On Apr 06, 2012
It is wrong n any marriage dat practice this is doomed to fail oooo. However, a woman does noy have a chur h or a place of worship until shes married. Whatever church ur hubby attends thats where you wil go. He is the man of the house n the head of the house. grin
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
buzugee: 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty

cgift: I Cor. 7 : 12 - 16 says:

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by buzugee(m): 4:16pm On Apr 06, 2012
LagosShia:

different scenarios. one of them is trying to marry someone of a different faith. the other is if you are already married with kids and in the midst of marriage, one person sees the light. you not going to divorce because of that, hopefully if your spouse is at peace with your faith.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Kay17: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2012
LagosShia:

it is the fear that men have the ability to be as stupid as you are or that men like you will mislead them.

Ok Islam is the same with Christianity, got to get them young and jam their heads with trash.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Kay17: 6:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
joanana: It is wrong n any marriage dat practice this is doomed to fail oooo. However, a woman does noy have a chur h or a place of worship until shes married. Whatever church ur hubby attends thats where you wil go. He is the man of the house n the head of the house. grin
And as a woman you accept that?! Being an inferior to a man? Aren't all marriages a partnership??
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by badesco(m): 7:43pm On Apr 06, 2012
It is bound to cause mayhem in future. Both should practice same religion.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by tomzman: 8:40pm On Apr 06, 2012
bashy_demy: This topic concern me so much.. I am a Muslim got marry to a christian but she never want to embrace my faith. I have try so much things don't work out fine. My wife and kids are in Nigeria, I reside in a neighboring country, I do come home often but never been a happy man when ever i see my wife taking my children to church every Sunday morning. I plan to change there school to an Islamic school and also find a private Arabic teacher for them but my wife never agree with me on that and we have been having misunderstanding over this same issue and am in the process of taking another wife. an advice is needed here please.

I would join sweetnecta to scold you on this one.
Didn't you know she was a christian before you married her.You muslims like trouble.You knew things like this would eventually happen but you still went ahead to marry her.That shows you must have seen something different in her.A man who decides to put his hand inside fire just because it is a blue one should not complain of pain after the fire burns him.Are there no better, more beautiful muslim ladies around.You chose to marry lady of another faith yet you still come online to condemn the same faith.Does that make any sense? You muslims make me laugh? The same also goes for your wife.I wonder what type of 'christian' ladies we have these days.The Bible is there as a guide but most of them don't obey it.Additionally, we have the Holy Spirit who keeps warning us when we want to go astray but some of us would not listen.A christian marrying a muslim, what for? Me, marry a muslim! God forbiiiiiiiiid!!!
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Kayday(m): 8:54pm On Apr 06, 2012
Huh, it's like As marrying an As. The possibility of trouble is high. Why not marry a person of ur faith. There's no how u'll not get someone u'll love sharing same faith and values. Stay out of trouble o!
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by Sike(m): 9:18pm On Apr 06, 2012
tomzman:
I would join sweetnecta to scold you on this one.
Didn't you know she was a christian before you married her.You muslims like trouble.You knew things like this would eventually happen but you still went ahead to marry her.That shows you must have seen something different in her.A man who decides to put his hand inside fire just because it is a blue one should not complain of pain after the fire burns him.Are there no better, more beautiful muslim ladies around.You chose to marry lady of another faith yet you still come online to condemn the same faith.Does that make any sense? You muslims make me laugh? The same also goes for your wife.I wonder what type of 'christian' ladies we have these days.The Bible is there as a guide but most of them don't obey it.Additionally, we have the Holy Spirit who keeps warning us when we want to go astray but some of us would not listen.A christian marrying a muslim, what for? Me, marry a muslim! God forbiiiiiiiiid!!!

Mtcheeeeeeew!!
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 9:24pm On Apr 06, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Bashy_damy: You can see from your wife's refusal to let your children go to Islamic school and have a private islamic teacher while she is every sunday happy to take them to church that religion of christianity is important to her, and your Islam is unimportant to her, while she can't be a mother with you.

Allah says call the children by their father's name. If you are the father, you have at least a degree greater ownership right over the children than your wife has. You are also a degree higher authority than your wife's authority in the house. Your wife's authority is under your authority; a larger umbrella of authority.

You need to grow spine, mehn and many advised you to stop her from taking your children to churches, sometimes in the past; if you had not allowed her to start at all, there would not have been this much heartache in your life right now. If you had taken the advise of the NL muslims when you first raised it, the heartache will be almost gone by now either because there is a divorce long time which you have bounced out of, or she has followed your instruction; even herself leaving christianity, instead of making your children believing a man, a ghost and a father are all 1 God, instead of a make up 3 gods; one of them being tortured and later killed, today being the 'anniversary' of such a fantasy of fantastically horrible death.

How you african muslims living in africa turn to christian women for wives instead of potty training them first, if you have to reject Islamic women who if not in hijab and kimar already, but at least do not take gods with God as Lord. Your degree of pains and efforts will not be this intense; the children and even her will not be going to church, for such.

Prophet Ibrahim told Prophet Ismail [as] to divorce his wife in prophetic manner. Allah then replace her with a better woman. For me, muslim woman has right over me than any other class/grade of women.

If a woman wants me she has to want all that is good that I want; i do not want a cross staring at me on the body of my lover. I do hope that where ever, I end up, Paradise, God Willing, my wife/wives shall end up there with me. Amin.

@Informatix: Islam is not core north. Islam is obedience to Allah and following His Messenger [as]. If you love your christian wife so much as not to care what way of worship your children ends up or not even worship, why not marry any woman; idolater, christian, jew, over muslim and why are you in Islam, if should not be important to your children? Your case is like the case of many arab youth who end up schooling in western countries and knowingly consume pork, intentionally and openly drink alcohol and indulge in fornication with whoever brings it on, to the amazement of so many of us african muslims. No wonder some american muslim reverts greeted arab muslims saying 'salaamualaykum yaa kafirun", because the practice kafarah; covering up the truth.

And to those who think religion is not important: I wonder what is more important than what is Important to God?

And to those who think God is not Important: I wonder what is making you getting closer to your end, while if you control your affairs, you will use your power of control to not age any longer and avoid the inevitable: death?
My Case is Practiced everywhere in Nigeria Nobody will tell me in NL. That he doesnt know a Muslim husband who has a Christ wife whom take the Children to Church?. You can call my case what ever . I rest my case. Read Previous posting Quran Quotes saying no one will be responsible for another Man sin.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by achukwunet(f): 9:35pm On Apr 06, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with man and wife practising different religions, as long as they don't make arguments out of it and bring it into their everyday lives
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 9:43pm On Apr 06, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Bashy_damy: You can see from your wife's refusal to let your children go to Islamic school and have a private islamic teacher while she is every sunday happy to take them to church that religion of christianity is important to her, and your Islam is unimportant to her, while she can't be a mother with you.

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 9:53pm On Apr 06, 2012

Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 9:59pm On Apr 06, 2012
anyway Allah say i can Marry from Christadom. I am waiting for you to tell me i can't. Check the previous Post you will see Quran Posts that say it. And NO Muslim in Nigeria will say he doesnt have a relative Marrying from Christ. We Believe in jesus But as messenger of God.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by LagosShia: 10:05pm On Apr 06, 2012
informatix: anyway Allah say i can Marry from Christadom. I am waiting for you to tell me i can't. Check the previous Post you will see Quran Posts that say it. And NO Muslim in Nigeria will say he doesnt have a relative Marrying from Christ. We Believe in jesus But as messenger of God.

no one is denying you to marry "chaste christian women".but you abandoning your responsibility to raise your children as muslims is the problem.
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by bashydemy(m): 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2012
LagosShia:

if she likes,i think she can feel free to go to church.but she should not take the children with her.at least you should have agreed before marrying her that your children will practice islam,go to mosque (no church),have muslim names only,and attend muslim schools or at most non-religious schools.

if you are thinking of taking up another wife,that is good for her.but please dont abandon your children to her.make sure before you take up another wife,your children are not with her.take the children to wherever you are or let your muslim family members train them.if you take up another wife and your children are with her,she will not only succeed in sending your children to church, she will also succeed in manipulating them against you.she will make sure they hate you and your religion because you took up another wife and "abandoned" them (as she will mislead them to believe).

try to convince her that if she wants to be your wife and remain christian,christianity should not be practiced in your house and the children are muslims.she can be going to her church.that is her destiny she is following.
Thank you so much for your candid advice well i am trying so hard to make things work fine for us... i have an appointment with my father inlaw on Sunday and am gonna hit the nail in the head she practice my religion or i take another wife..Shikenna
Re: When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! by informatix: 7:51am On Apr 07, 2012
Lagos shia?.lol.
Dont you know of a Prophet who's Son is a NON believer he did everything to convince the Son but the Son refused?. If they Go astray na dem go no bi me. I will tell them the Message is up to them.
Lagos Shia?.or tehran Shiite?.lol.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo Launches 24/7 Live Online Radio Station / How Can I Download A Free Bible To My Phone Asha 200 / What Is Your Church's Theme (year Of) For 2024?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.