Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,537 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:29 PM

Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried (14823 Views)

15 Businesses You Can Start On Campus That You Don't Know About / Training: 40 businesses you can start with 1000 naira or less (with Videos) / Profitable Businesses You Can Start With Little Capital. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Nobody: 9:16am On Apr 02, 2012
I have been doing some business since I graduated from Yabatech since 2005,
I have tried my hands on some couple handful of business. Some worthwhile, and with great ROI, worth going into. I hope we can share experiences and ideas, and here is mine!

1. I have tried Computer/Phone Accessories in Ikeja only to know if you dont have a Yahoo! Boys chain of suppliers, you would soon run bankrupt. This link was scarce to me, and besides, I dont know how on earth people like Slots and his ilks generate the kind of "Distributorship Fees" running into $1,000,000 or more to pay Nokia, Blackberries and the likes to be direct suppliers of their products in Nigeria.

2. Went back to my profession as an engineer, managing my father's construction and engineering firm, only to discover Nigerians don't want to pay for quality. People just want to build, and only pay for the materials, and not the engineers. I love the job, but you sometimes feel like your wasting your life building peoples dreams, while you spend the next 4-6 months of your year working for 500k or less, while spending the remaining 6 months fighting dirty for another contract. And the contracts sometimes are so slow paced, you get irritated. Its a great job, but totally disastrous if you totally rely on it unless you work for J'Berger and other bigger construction companies.

3. And then, some windfall popped in, I went into Poultry, managed by me part-term with a farm attendant while working Real Estates and Engineering. The variables involved in this business was so crazy: the quality of birds, farm location, access to loans (which is 0%), finding a sincere poultry attendant, dealing with predators: snakes, wild cats, etc, Stress management, eggs theft, diseases, litter management, etc. Seriously, i havent even been in Poultry for more than 3 years, and all of a sudden, my farm is surrounded by hundreds of houses which were non existent when I went to Ifo in 2009, and now they want me out of the location, due to our occasional once in a month litter clearing mess. Which really isnt nice at all.

4. Selling the poultry for a whooping profitable amount, I'm planning going into starting a school, and building 1 or 2 Commercial structures along the express road. Ive long created a long list of where Nigerians pour their money, and I think education is one of the top 5.

So, my biggest regrets, computer / phone parts, poultry (though its fun and awesomely rewarding, though its insanely expensive and sooooo long-term and not for hustlers but investors!)...commercial properties, wish I could do more: A land I got for 4mil along the express September 2011 is now been sought after by a fuel station that wants to pay 6mil, despite, I havent done nothing on it. But i aint selling. So, I guess express properties are wonderful, but also expensive.

I cant keep listing....judging my experiences though totaling just 7 years, is little compared with some business veterans in here.
Please, what businesses do you wish you NEVER try. And which would you want to keep doing. Even at old age.

8 Likes

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 02, 2012
please share your thoughts.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by LailaIkeji1: 9:28am On Apr 02, 2012
umm, well mine is blogging.

so glad i started it. my only regret is y didnt i start it soo long ago.

1 Like

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by lasunray(m): 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2012
NLs, Your contributions will be appreciated by we the upcomers
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by snthesis(m): 1:35pm On Apr 02, 2012
a friend scoped/hounded/begged/ me to invest into simcard biz- buy at wholesale prize sell a week later when the price goes up - sort of like stock trading. i succumbed esp since he worked with a reputable sim card distrubutorship and he would be responsible for the buying and selling all i had to do was provide capital, which i eventually did, unfortunately the week i did, the prices of sim cards crashed and i still dey wait for it to come up @least get my cash back (its close to a year now, and the dude that set me up is so nonchallant about it).

2 Likes

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by oradee: 1:36pm On Apr 02, 2012
Laila Ikeji: umm, well mine is blogging.

are u linda ikeji or u just share a similar last name?
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Koolking(m): 1:44pm On Apr 02, 2012
I have not really done any concrete business personally, been working my a.s.s out for a private firm for a couple of years now. It sucks big time. Been involved in short term legal deals of give and take, it pays off. You need not lift a spanner or screw driver but you are dead sure of chilled cash.

However, I plan going into franchise businesses with the telecom firms. IT and telecommunications are the in-thing and are money spinners.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by LailaIkeji1: 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2012
Am nt linda ikeji kiss. Linda is derr already. Much respect!!
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by sylve11: 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2012
aasog1:

2. Went back to my profession as an engineer, managing my father's construction and engineering firm, only to discover Nigerians don't want to pay for quality. People just want to build, and only pay for the materials, and not the engineers. I love the job, but you sometimes feel like your wasting your life building peoples dreams, while you spend the next 4-6 months of your year working for 500k or less, while spending the remaining 6 months fighting dirty for another contract. And the contracts sometimes are so slow paced, you get irritated. Its a great job, but totally disastrous if you totally rely on it unless you work for J'Berger and other bigger construction companies.

omo, this u stated is so true: if u quote somethings that are original for them for sum large amount, they'd call the nearest man who deosn't know anything but for lesser cash to takeover the project with little currency. Honestly u'v tried, am not good at typing much, but i have ventured also. . . . .i hate it when people change it for u. angry angry angry cool
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by publisher(m): 3:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
In 2009,while still working in a private financial institution,i launched my own magazine. Invested over N2m on the project,hired some old classmates to run it for me...well as expected,they ran it aground. I even lost my rented office space ,cos the landlady went psychotic on rents.
After i resigned from paid employment early 2010,i moved into my media bizness full time. I'm a trained brand innovator and copywriter. I sacked ALL my staff(5 of em) retaining only my PA. We are into advertising; creation/production of tv commercials,radio jingles and newspaper ads. It's a terrible industry cos most big Nigerian companies already have established ad agencies,others prefer to use foreign South African ad agencies. When they give independents like us an opportunity to pitch an ad,they complain that our idea is good but too expensive. But when a white South African team presents a silly ad pitch,to be shot in Cape town,ten times more expensive than ours,the big Nigerian companies jump at it. Thats why most so called quality tv ads aired in nigeria are shot in South Africa or Kenya,they use mainly zimbabwean cast cos their accent is similar to ours. They go a step further to teach them pidgin and clothe them with Nigerian attires just to create a Nigerian setting. Ref: Airtel 'IK' 10/10, Golden Penny, Etisalat, Indomine(mama too good),Blueband, Cowbell and so on.
Luckily,i've landed a decent ad deal with an upcoming food seasoning company,to be honest i only got the break cos the chairman of the coy is my 'towns man'. Positive tribalism i guess!
I love advertising, especially tv ads,i watch many foreign tv stations just to see their ads. But unfortunately 90 percent of tv ads aired on Nigerian tv can be very irritating,the 'descent' ones are SA productions.
I'ld like to change that and make Nigerian tv ads more Nigerian,more creative and more entertaining.
Advertising is a passion driven creative industry,it's also very frustrating for independent agencies like mine and u could go months,even years without a single client. But ONE serious client can change ur life forever,especially if ur Ads affects ur clients turnover positively.
Well,that's my story. Nice thread.

12 Likes

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by kinsomania(m): 3:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
Uhmmm, i've not ventured into any real biz yet. Passed out of secondary school 2009, still a very young dude. Am actually the internet type. Ventured into the blogging world for some months, left it to learn web development. Got some skills in it and am yet to hit the internet wave. Finance not making things easy at all. Presently, am learning more and searching for a team to joim to gain experience. The class i joined concerning web design is just JUNK. The guy is teaching us how to be a STUPID AND LAZY WEB DESIGNER.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 02, 2012
publisher: In 2009,while still working in a private financial institution,i launched my own magazine. Invested over N2m on the project,hired some old classmates to run it for me...well as expected,they ran it aground. I even lost my rented office space ,cos the landlady went psychotic on rents.
After i resigned from paid employment early 2010,i moved into my media bizness full time. I'm a trained brand innovator and copywriter. I sacked ALL my staff(5 of em) retaining only my PA. We are into advertising; creation/production of tv commercials,radio jingles and newspaper ads. It's a terrible industry cos most big Nigerian companies already have established ad agencies,others prefer to use foreign South African ad agencies. When they give independents like us an opportunity to pitch an ad,they complain that our idea is good but too expensive. But when a white South African team presents a silly ad pitch,to be shot in Cape town,ten times more expensive than ours,the big Nigerian companies jump at it. Thats why most so called quality tv ads aired in nigeria are shot in South Africa or Kenya,they use mainly zimbabwean cast cos their accent is similar to ours. They go a step further to teach them pidgin and clothe them with Nigerian attires just to create a Nigerian setting. Ref: Airtel 'IK' 10/10, Golden Penny, Etisalat, Indomine(mama too good),Blueband, Cowbell and so on.
Luckily,i've landed a decent ad deal with an upcoming food seasoning company,to be honest i only got the break cos the chairman of the coy is my 'towns man'. Positive tribalism i guess!
I love advertising, especially tv ads,i watch many foreign tv stations just to see their ads. But unfortunately 90 percent of tv ads aired on Nigerian tv can be very irritating,the 'descent' ones are SA productions.
I'ld like to change that and make Nigerian tv ads more Nigerian,more creative and more entertaining.
Advertising is a passion driven creative industry,it's also very frustrating for independent agencies like mine and u could go months,even years without a single client. But ONE serious client can change ur life forever,especially if ur Ads affects ur clients turnover positively.

Wooow!!! So very nice to know.

I will like to have a personal discussion with you or meet you in person.

Below is my e.mail and phone number -

Fizofly@yahoo.com, 08055418499.

Please send to me you phone number so I can give you a call.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by iluvnet(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
this is a nice thread and am learning. The best advice for all of us is that we should not give up. We shall make it if we don't give up. It may not yield fruit at the beginning; but it will in due course. Also, look before you leap into any business. Due diligence cannot be overemphasized.

Thanks OP for a great topic.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by aroflex: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2012
undecided
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by eleven(m): 3:53pm On Apr 02, 2012
aasog1: I have been doing some business since I graduated from Yabatech since 2005,
I have tried my hands on some couple handful of business. Some worthwhile, and with great ROI, worth going into. I hope we can share experiences and ideas, and here is mine!

1. I have tried Computer/Phone Accessories in Ikeja only to know if you dont have a Yahoo! Boys chain of suppliers, you would soon run bankrupt. This link was scarce to me, and besides, I dont know how on earth people like Slots and his ilks generate the kind of "Distributorship Fees" running into $1,000,000 or more to pay Nokia, Blackberries and the likes to be direct suppliers of their products in Nigeria.

3. And then, some windfall popped in, I went into Poultry, managed by me part-term with a farm attendant while working Real Estates and Engineering. The variables involved in this business was so crazy: the quality of birds, farm location, access to loans (which is 0%), finding a sincere poultry attendant, dealing with predators: snakes, wild cats, etc, Stress management, eggs theft, diseases, litter management, etc. Seriously, i havent even been in Poultry for more than 3 years, and all of a sudden, my farm is surrounded by hundreds of houses which were non existent when I went to Ifo in 2009, and now they want me out of the location, due to our occasional once in a month litter clearing mess. Which really isnt nice at all.

4. Selling the poultry for a whooping profitable amount, I'm planning going into starting a school, and building 1 or 2 Commercial structures along the express road. Ive long created a long list of where Nigerians pour their money, and I think education is one of the top 5.

So, my biggest regrets, computer / phone parts, poultry (though its fun and awesomely rewarding, though its insanely expensive and sooooo long-term and not for hustlers but investors!)...commercial properties, wish I could do more: A land I got for 4mil along the express September 2011 is now been sought after by a fuel station that wants to pay 6mil, despite, I havent done nothing on it. But i aint selling. So, I guess express properties are wonderful, but also expensive.

I cant keep listing....judging my experiences though totaling just 7 years, is little compared with some business veterans in here.

Please, what businesses do you wish you NEVER try. And which would you want to keep doing. Even at old age.

Nice one. Mine is blogging. I started blogging 5 years ago, but slowed down drastically. I have picked it up again and I am happy I did because its better late than never.

Another business I regretted in totality is selling men's briefs and lady accessories...meeen that one na gbese kill my first consignment from Americagrin. I lost a lot of money in that business due to credit purchases and lack of time to chase my creditors.

I am understudying another business and will definitely use the lessons learnt from my past experience to make it succeed.

@OP,

Hope you don't mind my posting your story on my blog to assist others.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by slimyem: 4:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
back in school,i though extra cash wont be such a bad idea..and because girls love clothes and shoes so much,i started selling.
One of my cousins would send the stuff down here,i'd sell and send the money to her.
Lets just say my girlfriends bought a larger part of my goods on credit and refused to pay as at when due.
I got tired of the whole thing because of that.some friends are still owing me till date(7 years later).
Business lasted one semester!
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Wallie(m): 4:08pm On Apr 02, 2012
Too ashamed to list all my failures!

However, here’s something that I regretted not following through! In December of 2000, I was going to travel to a francophone country but I was a little apprehensive because the only word I knew in French was “bonjour”!

Then I got a bright idea about using a PDA as a handheld translation medium. I bought a Sony Clie to do the translation and since I knew absolutely nothing about speech recognition, I also bought a book on speech coding algorithms. To make a long story short, I realized that the Clie’s processor wasn’t powerful enough to do anything meaningful and the memory was also lacking. I abandoned the idea!

Fast forward 10 years later, an exact solution to the problem now exists! In hindsight, I could have solved the same problem if I had stayed with it long enough for technology to catch up and added a little bit of foresight!

Technology today makes the solution easier to tackle.
1. Processors on mobile phones are now super powerful.
2. Memory is no longer an issue.
3. We now have something called “Apps”.
4. Text to speech is now everywhere!
5. Google translator can translate from one language to another.

The foresight I lacked was:
1. I should have divided the problem up and not try to re-invent the wheel! I knew of Dragon Naturally Speaking back then, I should have thought of using their software as an input.
2. I didn’t think of offline processing. Internet connection on mobile devices now makes offline processing a no-brainer!

Moral of the story, don't easily give up on your ideas/dreams and make sure that you pursue them to a logical conclusion!

Here’s a link to the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thjn4pyt770

4 Likes

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by xtenxive(m): 4:20pm On Apr 02, 2012
I'm an Architect and I have a flare for it. Particularly the opportunity of creatively achieving a clients dream in reality, my joy actually lies in the delivery of projects to client's satisfaction.
The challenges I have outside Professional competence (which I have) are:
Getting the Clients to that are ready to embark on Projects.
The High income earners and corporate bodies that have the ability to pay for a rewarding project will almost not even look at you as an up coming Professional except if you have very strong link within the organisation. It is just unfortunate for them that even after giving the job to the Big Players who we (the younger Professionals) work for and pay them huge contract sums & Professional fees, everything ends up on our table and we end up executing the job from design conception to Project delivery only for the Older Professionals to appear at meetings and ensure the cheques are paid on time.
The big corporations just like the to be associated with Big names in the construction industry.
On the other hand, Individuals who want to embark on such projects also will always want shortcuts which eventually ends up making them pay more particularly for People that are detailed. They will buy land for millions, pay huge sums to the Govt. For approval and bribe for Govt. Officials, pay "omo onile(who are not skilled in anyway)",millions for materials,labour and at the end of the day wants to pay the Architect who will bring this imagination to life peanuts.
The truth is just that you can never get the best out of a man that feels cheated. But it sure is a very rewarding business IF you get to secure the job and IMPRESS you client(s).

1 Like

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by jossy26: 4:25pm On Apr 02, 2012
Nice topic OP
My own contribution; also graduated from Yabatech 2006, ventured into the wonder bank business or shd I call it 'Kalokalo' I was paid over 200% of my investment after 3wks, I re-invested it, invited my sibling nd friends to invest into it; unfortunately we were all duped big time. Till today, no capital, no profit.
Secondly, I will advise everyone not to go into a business they don't know about; its very risky. Though, I was able to recover my capital after 3years of struggle I won't try that again. It was actually a supply business that I partnered with someone and I was too busy to study the details of the business.
I am into some other business now nd its goin on fine,
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Impulse80(m): 4:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
I'm into the forex market, just started it so i'm still trading tentatively, hope to make enough money in it to keep me afloat through the varsity.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by moderattor: 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2012
nice thread
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by jahofa: 4:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
I guess you should put a try in the Oil & gas distribution sector, where yhu can use demurrage in throw put can be used to capitalise ur interest. It aint along term process, but its an investment of where yhu fix ur money & you can estimate ur profit.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by straighthome: 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2012
interesting discussion....been working my behind out all these years...want to own a couple of supermarkets accros the counrty...so much sleaze and corruption going on around the whole place and i want to extricate myself from it all...run clean legit stuff then practice my proffession on my terms and terms only...
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Tittos: 4:56pm On Apr 02, 2012
Am currently running a youth entertainment magazine and its quite stressful and no much gain yet. However I have a passion for it and am seeing a bright future..the second edition of the magazine 'panache' is due to be out by next week and with Ruggedman and three others in the cover page I believe we are in for lot of sales and of course this edition is very entertaining...am also getting contacts with some celebs and of course I need more contacts. I think its a good business though but they has to be a passion for it or else you will get tired
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
@ OP,u are a true investor,youlve experienced a lot,thank God,it made u stronger sha,i hope others will contribute so that we the youngsters can learn,nice thread also.
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by doofanc: 5:34pm On Apr 02, 2012
publisher: In 2009,while still working in a private financial institution,i launched my own magazine. Invested over N2m on the project,hired some old classmates to run it for me...well as expected,they ran it aground. I even lost my rented office space ,cos the landlady went psychotic on rents.

intriguing story. I've often wondered about the unusual accents of d characters in those adverts..
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by damola1: 5:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
aasog1: I have been doing some business since I graduated from Yabatech since 2005,

For you to be in business you've got to do it with an added advantage over what someone else is already doing, improving with style systems and strategy... consistently...
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by lacastre: 6:02pm On Apr 02, 2012
still undergraduate doing my IT stuff in d school,but much is not coming in because of the school environment,only pocket change
Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by sigba(f): 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
Very interesting and inspiring topic. As for me, i'm a fresh graduate and i'm not ready to carry files and kiss the butts of fat CEO's. I have thought of the basic necessities which include Shelter, Food, Clothing, Education and with the advent of GSM Communication becomes a necessity. I'm already working towards making money from two of the above mentioned. God help me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses You Regretted Doing & The Ones You're Glad You Tried by emsquare(m): 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
Laila Ikeji: umm, well mine is blogging.

Okay! Try and SEO the blog for some Google juice (traffic).

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangote In Race To Buy Troubled ARM Cement / FG To Fine POS Operators ₦‎1M For Illegal Pricing / Naira Depreciates To N1,180/$ In Parallel Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.