Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation (3321 Views)

All Airports In Nigeria Will Be Shut Sunday Midnight - Aviation Unions / Arik Air Cancels All Flights Due To Prevailing Fuel Scarcity (photos) / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by mukina2: 9:34am On Apr 02, 2012
Passengers were stranded in airports at the weekend as there were no aircraft to convey them to their various destinations; many of them had to return home or seek alternative means of getting to their destinations.

The airlines that managed to operate, ended up having their passengers delayed for more than six hours while most airlines cancelled their flights as a result of the scarcity and high price of aviation fuel.

The Assistant Secretary General of Airlines Operators of Nigeria (AON), Mohammed Tukur condemned the situation saying “this is the time airline operators should be wary of what is sold to them as aviation fuel…this is the period kerosene could be sold to unsuspecting carriers in the name of aviation fuel.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/04/02/fuel-scarcity-hits-nigerian-aviation/
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 02, 2012
Kero sold as aviation fuel? Hmmm i smell air crash!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by member479760: 9:44am On Apr 02, 2012
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by stagger: 9:47am On Apr 02, 2012
Oga Boyloaf,

There is no strutural difference between Jet-A1 (Aviation-Type Kerosene or ATK) and Household kerosene (HHK). Which is why Dual Purpose Kerosene (DPK) is used for two purposes; household cooking and as aviation fuel.

So there is nothing like air crash happening!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by member479760: 9:54am On Apr 02, 2012
na wa ooo!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by Okijajuju1(m): 9:59am On Apr 02, 2012
SO does this mean we will start seeing Ariks 737's, Dana's Embriars and Air Nigerias Airbus'es queuing at filling stations to buy kerosene?!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by stepo707: 10:16am On Apr 02, 2012
Okija_juju: SO does this mean we will start seeing Ariks 737's, Dana's Embriars and Air Nigerias Airbus'es queuing at filling stations to buy kerosene?!

lol
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by martyns303(m): 10:40am On Apr 02, 2012
stagger: Oga Boyloaf,

There is no strutural difference between Jet-A1 (Aviation-Type Kerosene or ATK) and Household kerosene (HHK). Which is why Dual Purpose Kerosene (DPK) is used for two purposes; household cooking and as aviation fuel.

Huh? Where did u hear that one? Mukina if I'd made d above statement am sure u would ve jumped in. Not 4goten d case of the crashed helicopter, d way u were all over my case.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by deekseen(m): 10:45am On Apr 02, 2012
These Airliners have to start partnering with refineries to get direct supply/allocation instead of allowing their marketers slow business down for them. This will help: https://www.nairaland.com/904346/diesel-aviation-fuel-directly-russian
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by Okijajuju1(m): 11:23am On Apr 02, 2012
martyns303:
Huh? Where did u hear that one? Mukina if I'd made d above statement am sure u would ve jumped in. Not 4goten d case of the crashed helicopter, d way u were all over my case.

So you dont know that the difference between Kerosene and Aviation fuel is next to nothing!!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by omoola007(m): 11:27am On Apr 02, 2012
Part of the problem is that the airlines don't pay on time. With a commodity as fluid as aviation fuel of any kind or petroleum product, nobody wants to get paid in 30-60 days. In developed countries, airline hedge their aviation fuel cost by buying options and future delivery contracts.

But Naija want to buy on credit or do cash and carry. How can you manage your cost and cash flow when you cant forecast it.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 02, 2012

bros ur over_sabi too much abeg! D̶̲̥̅̊Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ Ūя̲̅ research well,There are different grades of Kerosene,
Household, JetA and JetA1. They all
have different freezing points. Airliners must take measures to ensure that the temperature of aviation fuel in the tanks, don't fall below the freezing point in d sky, τ̅☺ prevent it frm freezin in the tank, which cud result τ̅☺ air crash! Teacher abeg dnt teach ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by phonebook: 11:40am On Apr 02, 2012
Last week wednesday our 11:35am flite frm kaduna to lagos did'nt depart until 4:15pm.d excuse we were given den was aviation fuel n I honestly did'nt buy it.so arik was sayin d truth afterall!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by hamsky: 1:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
Okija_juju: SO does this mean we will start seeing Ariks 737's, Dana's Embriars and Air Nigerias Airbus'es queuing at filling stations to buy kerosene?!
Possibly..
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by ifyalways(f): 2:23pm On Apr 02, 2012
Hmmn
This is no good news.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by otokx(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
Not good at all coming so close to the Easter period when people will be traveling all over the place.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 02, 2012
hmmm. i wont take anything flight in Nigeria for noww. i no wan dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by emsquare(m): 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2012

TRue!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Hits Nigerian Aviation by ignis: 3:50am On Apr 03, 2012
Good news

(1) (Reply)

Innocent Passports Blacklisted / I Need Direction To Agbara Market In Lagos State / Apply For UK Exceptional Talent Visa (tier 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.