Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,478 members, 7,781,399 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:49 PM

They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! (6175 Views)

Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / Fashola Renovating Lagos State Government House Ahead Of May 29th Handover(Pics / Reps Query CBN, For Renovating Office With 2.8 Billion Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by PapaBrowne(m): 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2012
I've been flying through Nigerian airports since 1999 and every time I pass, I wonder at our leadership because that is one eyesore that they get to use on a regular basis!! They don't ply our roads so they don't experience the mess, they have generators so they don't know NEPA, They have the best security, so they can't be worried about armed robbery. If they fall sick, they treat in the best hospitals worldwide.
But the airports, they get to use them everyday. So I couldn't understand why on earth they had no interest in fixing it.

Anyways, at last, there is massive remodeling going on at the airports. Landed Murtala Mohammed on Thursday and was happy to see intense works going on. Then got to the Benin Airport and found that it was a remodeling galore!! I was glad and hopeful that finally there is improvement!!

Anybody with pictures of the renovations should please post here. I hear the remodeling is taking place in 11 airports across the country
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 03, 2012
I am certain you have the pictures of the so called renovation. Why don't you just post them and drop the act?
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Phonon: 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2012
What we have here are not airports.THEY ARE AIRSTRIPS!:-D
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by blank(f): 2:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
They closed Enugu airport last year due to renovations. Now, they are going to close it upper week for more renovations. So sad.
Btw, as at February, they had started the renovations.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Demdem(m): 2:26pm On Apr 03, 2012
the retardeen didnt promise us renovation of Airports angry angry

On March 17th 2011, in Dutse, the Jigawa state capital, the retardeen promised : "if i win the the election, within my four years in office, i will establish domestic airports in all the states without airports".

I trust the retardeen will fullfil his promise. All hope isnt lost.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Kilode1: 2:38pm On Apr 03, 2012
My brother Papabrowne don start again embarassed

I hope they are renovating those their toilets too?

1 Like

Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Rastamann: 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2012
What does renovation of roads connote in Nigeria? Blocking a pothole to create another, hmmnn this is what is happening on our roads and airports. Hope the toilets, and air-conditioners are also being renovated?
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by gregg2: 3:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
I don't have pictures but I can confirm massive overhaul
of Murtala Muhammed International Airport Lagos, Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport Abuja
(Domestic wing)and Aminu Kano Airport.

Those are the ones I have visited lately.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by tlops(m): 3:15pm On Apr 03, 2012
renovated
toilets ma pit latrines
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by DisGuy: 3:27pm On Apr 03, 2012
Theyve been renovating it forever!!

last 2010 there was a lot of construction work, no AC etc etc

as at last month even more motion no movement, hope the final result is good anyway

Waiting for your flight in the heat is terrible!!
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ismhab(m): 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
Demdem: the retardeen didnt promise us renovation of Airports angry angry

On March 17th 2011, in Dutse, the Jigawa state capital, the retardeen promised : "if i win the the election, within my four years in office, i will establish domestic airports in all the states without airports".

I trust the retardeen will fullfil his promise. All hope isnt lost.
Never believe in jonaliar.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ROBEN(m): 4:27pm On Apr 03, 2012
Op, U are very right. Abuja local airport is closed and all local flights diverted to intl airport; also was in Port Harcourt on sunday and greater part of d airport is cut off for renovation. Na thru corner corner with security agents directing us thru d various path b4 we could access the tarmac for boarding. infact they were issuing boarding pass at the verandah
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Kolababa: 9:23pm On Apr 03, 2012
I work in the airport. The tiles they are removing are far better than the new ones. All na in the name of awarding contract to chop. So many things are begging for attention in the Murtala Muhammed Airport, these looters will not fix them, they will only do the ones passengers will see. Have you ever experience a situation you checked in bags in good shape but when you receive your bag when you arrive, your bag is damaged. This is due to bad conveyor belt. If you go to the airside, you will weep for Nigeria. Things are terribly bad there. Think of the elevators, have you ever been trapped inside any of the lifts? If you get trapped inside any of these bad elevators, you will call your father your mother.
Two years ago, 358 million was used to renovate the airport toilets but now they are renovating the same toilets for 3.5 million each. Then multiply it by the number of toilets. Just to chop.
5 billion was used to install CCTV round the airport but none of the CCTV is working.
Three month ago, five member gang of armed robbers invaded the buereau de change at the car park of Murtala Muhamed Airport. They operated for twenty minutes, all the policemen ran away and the robbers went away with large sum of money in hard currency. Our CCTV did not capture the incidence.
In short, the only thing our government is known for is WASTAGE.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by OAM4J: 9:40pm On Apr 03, 2012
Kolababa: I work in the airport. The tiles they are removing are far better than the new ones. All na in the name of awarding contract to chop. So many things are begging for attention in the Murtala Muhammed Airport, these looters will not fix them, they will only do the ones passengers will see. Have you ever experience a situation you checked in bags in good shape but when you receive your bag when you arrive, your bag is damaged. This is due to bad conveyor belt. If you go to the airside, you will weep for Nigeria. Things are terribly bad there. Think of the elevators, have you ever been trapped inside any of the lifts? If you get trapped inside any of these bad elevators, you will call your father your mother.
Two years ago, 358 million was used to renovate the airport toilets but now they are renovating the same toilets for 3.5 million each. Then multiply it by the number of toilets. Just to chop.
5 billion was used to install CCTV round the airport but none of the CCTV is working.
Three month ago, five member gang of armed robbers invaded the buereau de change at the car park of Murtala Muhamed Airport. They operated for twenty minutes, all the policemen ran away and the robbers went away with large sum of money in hard currency. Our CCTV did not capture the incidence.

Really Sad.

Nigeria have a long way to go.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Kilode1: 9:52pm On Apr 03, 2012
Kolababa: I work in the airport. The tiles they are removing are far better than the new ones. All na in the name of awarding contract to chop. So many things are begging for attention in the Murtala Muhammed Airport, these looters will not fix them, they will only do the ones passengers will see. Have you ever experience a situation you checked in bags in good shape but when you receive your bag when you arrive, your bag is damaged. This is due to bad conveyor belt. If you go to the airside, you will weep for Nigeria. Things are terribly bad there.

Think of the elevators, have you ever been trapped inside any of the lifts? If you get trapped inside any of these bad elevators, you will call your father your mother.

You mean you know more than PapaBrowne?

Wonderful !
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ikeyman00(m): 9:54pm On Apr 03, 2012
3,000,000,000 for cctv

damn it shocked
hmm
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by auwal87(m): 10:15pm On Apr 03, 2012
Well we hope to see them completed soon. But!

The problem in Nigeria is not actually creating things, but maintaining them! Most of the times when good things are created you give it a maximum of 5 years before it will become so dilapidated that you will think it is century old. They need to contract with reputable property management companies to manage and maintain the airports, cleaning, repairs, reconditioning, etc. Like many people say here, the toilets are the worst part of Nigerian airports, a lot of effort must be made to change the situation. Janitors must be well trained, well equipped, and disciplined, with good salary as well.

Goodluck!
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:21pm On Apr 03, 2012
Renovating? Don't hold your breath. Those bus-stop u call airport needs to be demolished. embarassed
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by texazzpete(m): 10:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
Only in Nigeria will someone be jubilating at a lacklustre 'renovation' when thousands of passengers daily are fleeced of N1000 all in the name of FAAN charge.

99% of the so-called renovation is just expansion. most of the existing decaying infrastructure will be retained. Nigerians will continue to expect non-functional air conditioners and horribly cleaned toilets in our airports.
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by PapaBrowne(m): 11:37pm On Apr 03, 2012
Kolababa: I work in the airport. The tiles they are removing are far better than the new ones. All na in the name of awarding contract to chop. So many things are begging for attention in the Murtala Muhammed Airport, these looters will not fix them, they will only do the ones passengers will see. Have you ever experience a situation you checked in bags in good shape but when you receive your bag when you arrive, your bag is damaged. This is due to bad conveyor belt. If you go to the airside, you will weep for Nigeria. Things are terribly bad there. Think of the elevators, have you ever been trapped inside any of the lifts? If you get trapped inside any of these bad elevators, you will call your father your mother.

texazzpete: Only in Nigeria will someone be jubilating at a lacklustre 'renovation' when thousands of passengers daily are fleeced of N1000 all in the name of FAAN charge.

99% of the so-called renovation is just expansion. most of the existing decaying infrastructure will be retained. Nigerians will continue to expect non-functional air conditioners and horribly cleaned toilets in our airports.

Why all this pessimism. We are seeing for the first time something we've never seen in this country!! Even if they just spray paint the place, it surely does call for some kind of commendation. That there is work going on at all gives us a reason to smile!!

We all hail Fashola, but if we must face the truth, Lagos is a huge mess and he has barely scratched the surface of a decay that runs deep within, but still we all know to commend the miniscule things he has done!! The same way we commend Fashola for the almost nothing he is doing, is the same way we should commend the FG for the little they are doing to provide us with better airports!! This pessimism will not lead us anywhere. Where there is good, we must commend, where there is bad, we must condemn. Its simple!
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by dayokanu(m): 12:23am On Apr 04, 2012
The same Papabrowne of the spin and sell fame

PapaBrowne:
Why all this pessimism. We are seeing for the first time something we've never seen in this country!! Even if they just spray paint the place, it surely does call for some kind of commendation. That there is work going on at all gives us a reason to smile!!

We all hail Fashola, but if we must face the truth, Lagos is a huge mess and he has barely scratched the surface of a decay that runs deep within, but still we all know to commend the miniscule things he has done!! The same way we commend Fashola for the almost nothing he is doing, is the same way we should commend the FG for the little they are doing to provide us with better airports!! This pessimism will not lead us anywhere. Where there is good, we must commend, where there is bad, we must condemn. Its simple!

The same Papabrowne of the spin and sell fame.

Actually spraying paint is what we have been used to in this country so nothing to celebrate there.

How many times in the past have we seen contracts of road awarded but the contractor just dump to truck load of gravel on the road for the next 5 yrs. So according to you, we should celebrate that
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ektbear: 1:29am On Apr 04, 2012
Papabrowne again? The propagandist?

Didn't he lose his credibility earlier from the roads incident?
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:03am On Apr 04, 2012
ekt_bear: Papabrowne again? The propagandist?

Didn't he lose his credibility earlier from the roads incident?

Did he lose his credibility?? Naah!! He has been vindicated beyond measure!! Check.
Linda Ikeji of BellaNaija fame has just done justice to that issue!! Again I repeat, the Benin Ore Road has been fixed! Check!! In the same vein, massive remodelling works are going on at the airports! In my opinion, thats improvement and I will celebrate!!
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:12am On Apr 04, 2012
dayokanu: The same Papabrowne of the spin and sell fame

The same Papabrowne of the spin and sell fame.

Actually spraying paint is what we have been used to in this country so nothing to celebrate there.

How many times in the past have we seen contracts of road awarded but the contractor just dump to truck load of gravel on the road for the next 5 yrs. So according to you, we should celebrate that

Spin and spell is essential in marketing and Obama used it effectively on the American populace in 2008!! Would use it today, tomorrow and the day after. It is a tested and tried principle!! And it works perfectly on a populace that refuses to acquire adequate knowledge!! So if you don't wan't to be a victim, get knowledge, adequate one at that!!

About the Airports, I know what you reference with regards to contractors abandoning projects. Trust me, this one looks different. They seem to mean business. The changes that have taken place between January and March are remarkable. You would know they mean business. It appears like things are changing in the country, albeit slowly!!
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ektbear: 2:17am On Apr 04, 2012
Provide evidence of this fixed road?
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:26am On Apr 04, 2012
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ektbear: 2:42am On Apr 04, 2012
From your own link:

dont be fooled, it's only a kilometer stretch that was done like that, try Ore and see..
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by ektbear: 2:43am On Apr 04, 2012
Moreover, the larger issue is that you posted fake pictures claiming that it was fixed before it actually was, no?

So that it later was fixed doesn't change your initial duplicity..
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by Kilode1: 2:56am On Apr 04, 2012
PapaBrowne is a well known seer. Dude don't need no Linda to confirm his stories.

He declared Benin-Ore Road fixed 11 months ago, even before the contractors arrived on site grin

36 months from now, they will start the renovation of the Airport, PapaBrowne is ahead of you all. He's in the future

https://www.nairaland.com/644476/benin-ore-road-been-fixed
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by aljharem(m): 3:12am On Apr 04, 2012
Papabrown has started again. Ebuka just wrote an article on the state of the airport in Nigeria which he recently used and you are here lying

Immediately I walked out of the immigration point into the baggage claim area, the stench hit me. For all I cared, I might as well have been standing right inside a giant diaper while I got peed on! I honestly do not remember the last time I smelt urine so bad. The smell seemed just a little more pungent everywhere I walked to. I decided to suck it up and stop being an ‘aje butter’; consoling that it would be over soon as our luggage arrived.

One minute became 10; and 10 became 40 and there was no sign of anybody’s luggage attempting to roll out. People were starting to get apprehensive: asking anyone who looked like they had answers, for the whereabouts of our luggage. All we kept getting in reply was: “It’s coming. Just exercise patience.”

As the hour mark approached, it became obvious that patience had burnt enough calories and could not be exercised anymore. Where the hell were our bags?

Suddenly, people started running out the front door of the terminal with their trolleys. I asked where everyone was headed and one of my fellow passengers said that our bags were at the baggage claim hall at the other end of the airport. It seemed strange at first that our luggage would be sent elsewhere when everyone knew where we had landed, but I tried to contain my shock and nicely ran along.

As we walked into the second baggage claim area, the sight that greeted us was next to heart breaking. Bags were all over the floor, boxes had been thrown off the baggage tracks and just a few were still left on the tracks that had stopped moving. Chaos ensued as people started running round trying to identify their bags. A few people found theirs but a lot of us did not. At first, I thought they had been stolen with nobody there to claim them for over an hour. But the number of people who had not seen theirs made me assume that not all the bags were out. Yes, I was stuck with assuming since there was no single official there to let us know what was really going on. Those of us still without bags were in the majority, so we just stood around the tracks hoping our luggage would come out at some point.

Some 10 minutes later, the tracks jerked a little and started moving. People, half soaked in sweat at this point, managed to crack little smiles as the first bag rolled out, and people began to pick up. It seemed like the worst was over and we were about to finally leave the airport after spending what could easily be the flight time between Lagos and Dakar. But we were wrong. It must have been just over 5 minutes after the luggage started coming out, that salt was added to injury.

The hall suddenly went dark, and silent, and the tracks stopped moving. PHCN had decided that the international airport had enjoyed enough power for one day. A male voice shouted: “NEPA says welcome to Nigeria” and general laughter followed.

But someone was not laughing. A Caucasian lady, who I later found out was in Nigeria for the first time, was sobbing right behind me. She held on to her little boy with her right hand as she tried to make the sound of her crying a little less audible with her left. I looked back at her, and she caught my eyes and tried to look away. Then I asked if she was okay.

She did not answer immediately. She reached for her handbag and got out a face towel and dabbed on her teary eyes. Then she said with a forced smile; “Yes I am fine. I’m just a little overwhelmed by everything.” As simple as those words were, they turned out to be the saddest part of my arrival ordeal. Here was a first timer in Nigeria, who had probably come into the country after being told tales of woe about how unsafe the country is. Still, she decided to come for whatever reason and in just over 2 hours of being in the country, she had already had enough.

I lied and told her that this was unusual even for me as a Nigerian, since I had not witnessed this sort of drama before. I promised her that she would be fine. As we were talking, power was restored and the many Nigerians, who had not been to the country in a while, took a lot of joy in shouting “Up NEPA”. Thankfully, her luggage came out before mine and she seemed just a little relaxed again as she waved me goodbye.

Living the above experience at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos and then hearing that the aviation minister thinks upper class tickets are too high, leaves me confused. For most other Nigerians, my airport story is a relatable story for air travelers in Nigeria. Expensive business and first class tickets are not the priority. Add to that the fact that the airport’s IT system recently shut down, leaving passengers unable to check in simply because Maevis’ contract was terminated without a proper backup plan.

Threats should be issued to the airport management who have let the rot to continue, not international airlines who have a right to fix prices based on demand. It would be nice for once to see that our government is more concerned with Nigerians, and not how they are perceived internationally.

Some bragging rights are better earned when there’s actually something to brag about; else they just become noise. These unending threats from the aviation minister are starting to sound like just noise.

http://ynaija.com/2012/04/01/ebuka-obi-uchendu-dear-princess-stella-oduah-ynaija-frontpage/
Re: They Are Finally Renovating Our Airports!! by dayokanu(m): 3:16am On Apr 04, 2012
Papabrowne has no issues with lying, he calls it "spin and sell"

He told us Benin Ore road was fixed before the contractor even got on site.

Now he is telling us th Airport is fixed even before the contract was awarded

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Vows To End Theft Of Crude Oil / George Akume Looses His Senate Seat To PDP!!!! / Exclusive Picture Of Sowore Released In Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.