Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience (8111 Views)

My NYSC Experience In Pixs / My NYSC Experience In Rivers State / Corpers' Lodge: Ask Questions & Share Your NYSC Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by tosinaded(m): 5:14pm On Apr 04, 2012
LagBlogger:

@OP,

I understand your point you see Nigerians have really made a name for themselves - negatively even we Nigerians trust foreigners more than we trust ourselves but for a muslim man to do this I think it is highly commendable many so called church going christians will do the exact opposite some will even shout "thank God" and even pay tithe with part of the money. So where did you eventually serve, Maiduguri or did you redeploy from the state?

Nigerian Bottling Company . .
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by ndsmartt(m): 5:15pm On Apr 04, 2012
is de samething in most of the nysc camp in the north.. at my orientation camp in katsina state, all ma room mate n even lodge mate neva for a day complian for a theft, despite keeping der valuable unsafe.. I too left my waist bag at bathroom after showerin, with huge amount n oda valuable inside.. but d hausa man wey found it return it to me..
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by tosinaded(m): 5:23pm On Apr 04, 2012
Boyoorisha: I don't read long stories on NL but I was forced to read yours. I guess writing is your hubby, nice one!

Thanks for reading, glad i passed a message . . .
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Phrankin(m): 5:24pm On Apr 04, 2012
GboyegaD: OP,
Your idea of rejecting your Primary Assignment to influence it to the State Capital is one of the acts not in favor of making our country any better as the "man know man" syndrome has a more negative effect.
I'm sorry, but i completely disagree with you.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by dadicvila(m): 5:26pm On Apr 04, 2012
kombats: hausa are 1 of d most trusted people in 9ja
yeah you can trust them to obey orders 4rm the devil to kill and destroy at will,very trustworthy indeed
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by PHIPEX(m): 5:56pm On Apr 04, 2012
Phrankin:
sorry, I completely agree wt him. Most times influncing posting is where many young graduates get initiated into d real world of corruption.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by PHIPEX(m): 6:04pm On Apr 04, 2012
Phrankin:
sorry, I completely agree wt him. Most times influncing posting is where many young graduates get initiated into d real world of corruption. @OP that's a great story, my own experince was at Sagamu Orientation camp where someone I met for d first time found a waist bag containing huge amount and in my presence located the owner who was already in tears. Another person in my hostel whom we call CSO found a BB and called d owner who happened to be a lady to pick it up. There are still great Nigerians around.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 04, 2012
Hausas are the most trustworthy of all Nigerians. They'll never touch your thing, except of course religious issues are involved!
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by glowithdan(m): 6:24pm On Apr 04, 2012
How I wish our piliticians will return our (Nigerian) stolen funds too!!

1 Like

Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by jidewin(m): 6:43pm On Apr 04, 2012
@poster,Thank God for 'Favour'.also Thank God for your parents and all those who did not relent in interceeding for you when you were posted to the "code red" state.
Yours truly,many of them could be very very surprisingly good and nice,as long as RELIGION is not involved.
This however is one of the many advantages of NYSC.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Ayomax(m): 7:15pm On Apr 04, 2012
grin u shld hav check ur waist bag very well. We nw hav micro bomb...
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by goggs(m): 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2012
well this is not an isolated case. in 2009 I forgot my wallet (with a couple of thousands, atms, ID etc) in a long distance taxi to Abuja (karu park) and noticed after it was time to pay the drop to town.

I went back to the park and straight to the local NURTW office. The hausa man (Chairman/if not obviously top official) was straight to the point. All he asked was the origin of the taxi and type/colour. He asked a couple of his men to get to work and lo just then another official came in to report the driver (a yoruba man I think) had already reported a lost wallet to the office. I was asked some proofs and the wallet returned. I was asked to confirm the amount; I didn't care as long as atms, IDs, and a few thousand naira notes stared back at me I was ok. I was so relieved. Even the driver was insisting I count as he walked out.

one striking thing was the chairman was impatient I say my thanks quickly and leave, he had work to do attending to other matters!!!

Its been long I last saw people do things so right and act like its so normal. I was pleased. I went in search of the driver to thank him. He also waved me from afar saying ''no problem, no problem"

As I walked out of the park I pumped my fist in the air and let out a loud "yes!". At that moment I was so proud of my fellow Nigerians! I must have repeated this story 100s of times!
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Nickydrake(m): 7:44pm On Apr 04, 2012
kwaghe: @Tosin - an average Hausa man has no integrity issues, his main weakness is his religious bigotry.

absolutely correct.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Blackteeth(m): 8:09pm On Apr 04, 2012
Depends on whose property I picked. If IBB or OBJ misplaced a briefcase of dollars and I found it, they shouldnt expect to see it again.

1 Like

Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Origin(f): 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2012
Nice write _up bross. ǚ should be Å journalist ǚ as you have written Å story free from bias. Not every one is bad. I love hausa ibo and yoruba. The day you start hating Å person is the you become like them. Some people have gone to the north and turned up there nose. I try my best to enjoy the good in Å place person or thing. But alas the bad is overpublicised. When someone does wrong call him/her by his full name and castigate him but do not allude to his tribe, religion or country . It is wrong
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Origin(f): 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2012
Nice write _up bros. ǚ should be Å journalist ǚ as you have written Å story free from bias. Not every one is bad. I love hausa ibo and yoruba. The day you start hating Å person is the you become like them. Some people have gone to the north and turned up there nose. I try my best to enjoy the good in Å place person or thing. But alas the bad is overpublicised. When someone does wrong call him/her by his full name and castigate him but do not allude to his tribe, religion or country . It is wrong
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by IG: 1:31am On Apr 05, 2012
I initially didn't intend to post on this thread but I am honestly impressed by the positivity displayed. This is a rare thing lately on Nairaland. I'm a Northerner and a Muslim and have served in the South-East. While I haven't had any lost and found issues, I must however state that the people treated me well, especually those in the villages. The truth of the matter is that the average Nigerian is good, it is the difficult position he is being put into that is bringing out the devil in him.
Talking about religious overzealousness, this is where I wish other Nigerians will understand us. The average Northerner, whether Muslim or Christian takes religion very seriously and dont accept the slightest riducule of religion. Some of us may ignorantly go above board when reacting but the bottom line is, please don't ignite a religious issue with a Northerner and he will treat as well as he will treat his own brother.

1 Like

Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by surveycash(m): 4:34am On Apr 05, 2012
Blackteeth: Depends on whose property I picked. If IBB or OBJ misplaced a briefcase of dollars and I found it, they shouldnt expect to see it again.

then you will be no different from them. Good virtues should be indifferent...
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by surveycash(m): 4:39am On Apr 05, 2012
IG: I initially didn't intend to post on this thread but I am honestly impressed by the positivity displayed. This is a rare thing lately on Nairaland. I'm a Northerner and[b] a Muslim and have served in the South-East[/b]. While I haven't had any lost and found issues, I must however state that the people treated me well, especually those in the villages. The truth of the matter is that the average Nigerian is good, it is the difficult position he is being put into that is bringing out the devil in him.
Talking about religious overzealousness, this is where I wish other Nigerians will understand us. The average Northerner, whether Muslim or Christian takes religion very seriously and dont accept the slightest riducule of religion. Some of us may ignorantly go above board when reacting but the bottom line is, please don't ignite a religious issue with a Northerner and he will treat as well as he will treat his own brother.

Another Northerner muslim here....I Served in Abbi, Ndokwa west LGA of Delta state. It was wonderful. They are very friendly people. Any Ukwani person in the house?
Aje Aje! Ebi Ebi! Odogwu Ebi! Ndomo'torfe...Ishiagware...
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Nobody: 5:34am On Apr 05, 2012
I am zulu
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by emsquare(m): 8:06am On Apr 05, 2012
Ufeolorun:
Nice writeup and God bless that man for his honesty. wink

Yep!
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by chijane1(f): 8:38am On Apr 05, 2012
For real most times i ask my self are these people kiiling Christains Nigerians?i know from encounters and stories i have heared about an average Hausa men ,they are peaceful and hardly takes what 's not their's. All of a sudden these qualities are being replaced by what i dont want to mention here.i believe they are being brain washed.But every problem has expiry date.things will return to normal some day.i know an average honest hausa man still have these qualities intact.Lets be our brothers keeper.May God who see in the hidden richly reward the Hausa driver.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by yuzedo: 9:05am On Apr 05, 2012
Can totally relate to the inability to sleep due to blinding worry. When a mechanic stole my first car last year, that night was one of my worst in recent history! I slept with my phone on my chest and any small vibration woke me up. I was waking up intermittently, hoping for a text or phone call. Na dat time i remember God na? I prayed eh?! grin I almost ran mad that night. mess that guy tho, he cost me over N300,000 and my peace of mind! sad After i recovered what was left of the car, i replaced all the shi.t stolen but the incident put me off car completely till a better one inadvertently came my way. Difference between humans. You trust someone, he fails. You DON'T trust someone, he surprisingly comes through. . .
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by pistol: 10:07am On Apr 05, 2012
Nice write up @ op,but from my experience,i hv learnt not to place too much emphasis on this acts of kindness by an hausa fulani man.
My neighbour,an elderly woman who runs a primary school so trusted one mallam that whenever she sends d man on errands,he brings change to warm his way to her heart that the woman placed everything she runs into d mallams care.
But when d man showed her his true colours eh,
d mallam ra/ped her students who are minors,looted her jewellery,cash and escaped into thin air.The woman in question is igbo mind u
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by omoijoba(m): 11:28am On Apr 05, 2012
Am from Lagos but currently serving in the northern part of the country,the so-called Hausas are the best in term of their religion and belief cos I have bunch of them as my friends. They love and respect those who respect their culture,religion and belief moreso abstain fro their women cos most are engaged.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by cynthiafred67(f): 2:45pm On Apr 05, 2012
May God bless that man for his honesty.
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Shadowblaqq(m): 7:22am On Apr 07, 2012
Touched and tearful this story has proven that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel for Nigeria.tanx bro 4 sharing
Re: Not All Nigerians Are Bad: My NYSC Experience by Johnsinia(m): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2012
Good write up.theres still hope in Nigeria.God bless all d good people of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A16 Abuja Corpers / If U Own A Pc This Just For U / NYSC EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE: Step-by-step Guide On How To Register

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.