Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime (563 Views)

Mass Resignation Of Workers Hits PDP / Riot In Benin Calling For The Resignation Of Oshiomole / Musiliu Obanikoro Calls For The Resignation Of Prof. Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime by Phemmyolas(m): 12:43pm On Apr 04, 2012
Hungarian President, Pal Schmitt, resigned Monday because of a plagiarism scandal regarding a doctoral dissertation he had written 20 years ago. The scandal that dethroned President Schmitt had initially precipitated street protests in the streets of the capital, and just like every other human beings the president saw no reason why a doctoral thesis should generate such a furore because, according to him there was no correlation between his thesis and the office he held.

Eventually, the president succumbed to public opinion. His detractors argued that he had lost credibility to lead Hungary, and that it would be a sacrilege for somebody with a blemish to hold the office of the president.

And because that society does not celebrate mediocrity and because the office of the president is not regarded as a place where personal opinions superimpose public desires, the president resigned.

“In this situation, when my personal issue divides my beloved nation instead of uniting it, I feel it to be my personal duty to finish my service and resign from my presidential mandate”, Schmitt said. That statement elicited applause, even from the opposition who was consistent in their calls for him to resign because it shows true statesmanship.

But events around us make me wonder if we will ever have such leadership in Nigeria. A country where corruption and arrogation of power is the order of the day
Just of recent, Hon. Herma Hembe who chairs House Representative Committee on Capital Market was accused of bribery of over N40 million in the cause of investigating another corruption; Ms Oteh Arunma, the Director General of Security and Exchange Commission was accused of mismanagement and financial impropriety; President Jonathan early in the year said there were known "Cabals" whose corrupt practices necessitated the fuel subsidy removal that further impoverished Nigerians and the attendant mass protests that followed. Yet, nothing was done.

The above are just few of the leadership misfortunes and ‘acceptable’ official corruption that we read and hear daily.
It seems the government and the society has agreed that corruption and violation of societal norms are an acceptable canker that we cannot live without. It is sad that we have accepted negative tendencies to define our nation; that there is nothing wrong to use titles, offices and official position to rub our nation blind. SO SAD!

@femiolas

femiolas2000@yahoo.com
Re: Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime by Goodnessy: 2:09pm On Apr 04, 2012
In other climes you go into government to serve the peolple while protecting your person. In Nigeria you go into government to serve youself and dont care about your name tomorrow. That is the difference between patriotism and selfishness.
However it is not impossible to see a public official resign on such account but a camel must have passed a needle's eye first.
Re: Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime by doctokwus: 5:15pm On Apr 04, 2012
If d hungarian example were to b d standard in nigeria,I can stick my neck dat not one of our serving officials will remain in office;corruption as a standard alone will dethrone all governors,ministers& probably d entire aso rock.We can only dream of hungarian like standards;it maynot ever come to reality
Re: Resignation Of Hungarian President: A Lesson From Another Clime by Phemmyolas(m): 12:24pm On Apr 05, 2012
doctokwus: If d hungarian example were to b d standard in nigeria,I can stick my neck dat not one of our serving officials will remain in office;corruption as a standard alone will dethrone all governors,ministers& probably d entire aso rock.We can only dream of hungarian like standards;it maynot ever come to reality

I agree with you. A country where the president admitted that there were corrupt individuals and terrorists in his govt yet everything continues as usual; where a minister embezzled millions of dollars (national I.D. Card money) and was rewarded with another portfolio; where another embezzled money in the aviation but was rewarded with education portfolio; where a former Inspector General of Police stole millions but is now a free man; where it is not impossible for a road under construction to have potholes because the money meant for was being shared; where a governor was acquitted of corruption in our court in Nigeria but admitted to have stolen millions in UK court, the list is endless. SHAMEFUL!!!

(1) (Reply)

Fed Govt, Others To Study Osun Job Scheme / What Would You Do Differently If You Were GEJ? / N1.07t Subsidy: Ahmadu Ali, Others To Face Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.