Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. (2423 Views)

Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 1.6 is Out! / Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by netotse(m): 12:16pm On Nov 21, 2007
@ralvy
i'm near your end so i'll drop by,
hope u see this in time
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2007
oh! I am very sorry! I don't work there! although, I do some work in the editing room behind!
I gt the note u dropped, en I must apologise man! 'm sorry!
Pls, come tomorrow, en pls call so I kw wn to get thr!
Thnx!
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by bigrovar(m): 3:00pm On Nov 21, 2007
hey ralph man am almost thru with ubuntu ultimate download here in lagos, infact am at 96% i would be thru in a few hours
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 5:48pm On Nov 21, 2007
Great! Awesome, I should be done in a few hours too cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 11:52am On Nov 23, 2007
An ubuntunigeria Admin member (bigbrovar) sent me the new Ubuntu release (Gusty Gibbon), I got it today and I am installing it as I type this. All Ubuntu Geeks in Abuja can now get it installed. You can come to TV Enterprises, Area 11 with your blank CD to get a copy.

He Sent it along with an Application DVD for both Gusty Gibbon and Fiesty Fawn containing all you will ever need to install. So I'm gon' be on some big pimping tonight grin (Thanks to bigbrovar).

Incase you need the Application DVDs, you can bring a blank DVD along in exchange for the copies I already have here.

I will post ma screenshot on the other topic as soon as I am done. .

A guide is been put together for Ubuntu Gusty which will be available on the ubuntunigeria blog. As for now, we have some other guides there that can get u going, including a comprehensive Fiesty Fawn Guide

You can Contact me or bigbrovar depending on your location:

Abuja: Ralph, nerve.it@gmail.com - 08033735087
Lagos: Bobby, bigbrovar@gmail.com - 08036823126

Click here to Visit the Blog.
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by netotse(m): 5:26pm On Nov 24, 2007
@ralvy
tenx for the sturvs, much appreciated!
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 5:30pm On Nov 24, 2007
Ur welcome man! r u runnin it now?
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by netotse(m): 6:00pm On Nov 24, 2007
messed around with the live CD havn't had the time to install the others
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Habib(m): 10:18am On Nov 30, 2007
Good day people. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and willingness to help others always, really nice of you. I've a few questions for Bigrovar, Ralvy and anyone who can provide answers.

I've just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 and am slowly getting a hang of it. My current issues are:

1. I tried installing some beryl themes from gnome-look.org and kept getting "the file format is invalid",  what's wrong?

2. A search from synaptic package manager shows I don't have beryl or emerald theme manager,  how do i get these? would getting them make any difference to the file format issue?

3. I heard about the ultimate cd's. I'm about to start downloading v.1.4,  what do the ultimate cd's contain? @Ralvy: are the application cd's and dvd's you atlked about the same as the ultimate 1.4 and 1.5?
He Sent it along with an Application DVD for both Gusty Gibbon and Fiesty Fawn containing all you will ever need to install.
if yes, then i'm interested but i don't stay in Abuja,  i can call you to work something out.

4. How do i run *.exe files on Ubuntu,  most ms windows programs are *.exe ,

Just for your info. though, i've never gone online with my laptop as i'm used to getting stuff from the internet then installing them on my pc
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Habib(m): 10:29am On Nov 30, 2007
I forgot to add,
5. My windows disappear when i minimise, i've to go search for them and re-open, i've checked panel settings and all that, nothing amiss. what could cause this?
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by nnamdizobs: 9:48am On Dec 01, 2007
hey fellas!!! am new to this forum but be usin ubuntu for a while now even a couple of distros and i must say am impressed at the way nigerians are following the linux project, spoke with afolabi and bigbrovar they nice guys, anyone who needs ubuntu cd and dvd (ubuntu ultimate) i.e in the east am there to help and also you tru. am a student of UNN . later fellas

N.B
the aim is wipe out "microsuks" from naija
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by nnamdizobs: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2007
oops!! forgot to leave my number and email for fellas in the eastern region am in UNN

n_n_a_m_d_i@yahoo.com
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by nnamdizobs: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2007
first you download the latest drivers for alsa i.e alsa 1.5(driver, utils and libs files).https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller
if that did not workvthen you could also try this out
http://linuxtechie./2007/10/19/getting-intel-ich8-family-rev-3-sound-card-to-work-in-gutsy/
that was what i used, my stsem in a hp pavilion dv6500 series

just follow the procedures ok
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 1:16pm On Dec 01, 2007
@Habib:
I will look into ur problem immediately I boot into Ubuntu!
Mean while, the application DVD from bigbrovar will be of great help to you.
Let me know your location so I can see how to get a copy across to you!
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Habib(m): 5:20pm On Dec 01, 2007
Thanks Ralvy.I've just finished downloading ultimate cd 1.4,about to burn the image (iso) file on cd, i'd try it out later today.Thanks again.
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 5:42pm On Dec 02, 2007
What are u doing with 1.4, I can send 1.6 to u!
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2007
Habib:

Good day people. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and willingness to help others always, really nice of you. I've a few questions for Bigrovar, Ralvy and anyone who can provide answers.

Thankx Man, that was encouraging smiley

Habib:

I've just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 and am slowly getting a hang of it. My current issues are:

1. I tried installing some beryl themes from gnome-look.org and kept getting "the file format is invalid", what's wrong?

2. A search from synaptic package manager shows I don't have beryl or emerald theme manager, how do i get these? would getting them make any difference to the file format issue?

If your Beryl themes didnt work, then it means you do not have Beryl manager installed.
and Yes! you can check the box and apply changes to download and install beryl.

Habib:

3. I heard about the ultimate cd's. I'm about to start downloading v.1.4, what do the ultimate cd's contain?

Yes! Ubuntu Ultimate Edition is an ubuntu release with additional software embedded on it.
These distros come with virtually everything you will need to use on ubuntu!
We plan to make it the default for the loco as it will make things much easier for people who want to use ubuntu for the first time . .

Habib:

@Ralvy: are the application cd's and dvd's you atlked about the same as the ultimate 1.4 and 1.5? if yes, then i'm interested but i don't stay in Abuja, i can call you to work something out.

Not exactly, when you download and install softwares on ubuntu. The softwares are cached locally for installation and are executed after the download is finished.
These softwares can be found at the file System under; var/cache/apt/archives.
What we do is to use a linux software called AptonCD that will copy these archives and make application CDs/DVDs out of them to distribute so new users like you do not have to download all the softwares again.

If u look at the screenshot below, you can see archives in my cached apt folder.

The person that makes ubuntu ultimate edition will help us install these softwares so we do not have to download ourselves. so it's not really different. you can have a plain ubuntu distro and have everything in the Ultimate series which means you will have to download all packages. I hope you geddit now?

Habib:

4. How do i run *.exe files on Ubuntu, most ms windows programs are *.exe ,

Yes! You should not expect all your Windows applications to run on Linux, they are built for different platforms, although -we have some sort of emulators like "wine" that will let some windows apps work.

Habib:

Just for your info. though, i've never gone online with my laptop as i'm used to getting stuff from the internet then installing them on my pc

Ubuntu is kind of internet dependent.
Once in a while, you should go online and update ur distros.
It's necessary as it can help fix bugs and other stuff.

Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 10:40am On Dec 03, 2007
Habib:

I forgot to add,
5. My windows disappear when i minimise, i've to go search for them and re-open, i've checked panel settings and all that, nothing amiss. what could cause this?

Then someone definitely messed with your panel settings . .
Do you have a panel below?
If you do not have them, right click on the top and select New panel.
Right click on the new panel created and select "Add to Panel"

From the options, you can add missing items like
Show Desktop,
Window list
Window selector
Workspace switcher.
and others.

After your done, adjust by dragging to suite your style.
Right click and lock them.
smiley
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Habib(m): 2:57pm On Dec 03, 2007
@Ralvy
Just sent you an email on your gmail,  I'd follow up with a call.
Thanks, you've dealt with all my immediate problems and more (with the tutorials). I can't wait to try out Gusty, though I've learnt a lot about linux this short while i've played around with Feisty and i'm hooked, i don't see myself going back to windows o.

another thing i noticed is, i think i installed Feisty 32-bit version (i386), i guess my laptop (dell latitude D610) should be capable of running the 64-bit version (AMD64)? After burning ultimate 1.4, and trying to install stuff like abiword, i kept getting an error message something like "software cannot run on your pc type i386",

i'd sure make time to go online with my pc while i await Gusty.

P.S: i'd be away for about a week, keep up the good work here.

cheers.
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by Ralvy(m): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2007
Alright Habib, You're Welcome . . smiley
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by insight: 1:06am On Jun 07, 2008
Pls i need a copy of this latest edition of Ubuntu Ultimate edition to install.
how do i get the DVD?
Re: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 DVD (Based on Gusty) is Down & Available. by bigrovar(m): 4:42pm On Jun 07, 2008
Sorry mate we havant been able to download the latest version of Ubuntu Ultimate -now called ultimate edition- , its not easy getting download bandwidth for it now, i personally dont have an internet connecting at home , so i guess it might take some times b4 we download it, however i have the latest ubuntu hardy heron and also a dvd that contain must of the applications u would need , if u are interested pls call me 08022982697 , am based in lagos , cheers
BTW its as free as air

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apple i Mac system for swap with a laptop / Create Your Own Free Browsing/Internet Cheat/Tweak ;D / Please How Reliable Are Zinox Laptops?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.