Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? (47559 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / Hope For Hnd Holders, Hnd / Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Dereformer(m): 10:15pm On Apr 06, 2012
Let me start by saying, I'm an Hnd holder. Having gone through posts on this forum where some of my fellow Hnd holders bemoan their fate in the in the labour market, I cannot but say, upgrade what u currently have by enrolling into a university of your choice for a part-time Bsc program. Whether you go ahead to get PGD, MSC or professional qualification such as ACA, ACCA, CISA, COREN, CITN, etc, the discrimination will still be there without a Bsc certification. Even with my HND(Distinction) Acct, ACA, i find it difficult to believe that many organisations will publish vacancy requiring only university degree. Folks, we have to get this Bsc. Even though at my age (37) I should have obtained an MSC and one or two more professional qualifications; but i have made up my mind to go for a Bsc come next year 2013. Some universities will start you from 200 level, while some like IMSU will give 300 level. Plsease, be encouraged. Responses are encouraged.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by yemmyma: 10:56am On Apr 07, 2012
I was high flying in Yaba College of Technology with a National Diploma. 3.2 out of 4 with 8 months internship before i dumped the programme to pursue a B.Sc. I have never seen discrimination so high in my life than in Nigeria where we should be same. But unfortunately, we have our B.Sc counterparts in Nigeria who have little or no research going on in their schools but will always tell you the difference between B.Sc and HND as the former is research based and the latter is technical in nature.

This idea of discrimination should be scrapped entirely.

Let me give you an instance.

My aunt holds HND Accounting from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (lower credit). She was always sidelined at work (local government) because of her qualification. But the truth is she is pretty good at what she does. 13years at work, all her B.Sc colleagues have all gotten above her in the organization ladder. You know whats funny? She had a boss who holds Msc also in Accounting. Due to financial issues her boss enrolled both of them (boss's money) for the Association of National Accountant of Nigeria (ANAN) professonal qualification examination. During these periods, enrollment + tutorials + personal reading my aunt was pregnant making it difficult to focus on the exam as such. Two weeks after delivering her baby, she travelled to Port Harcourt from Lagos to write the exam together with her boss. When the result came out, my aunt passed and got qualified with her membership certificate staring at me right now. But her boss could not pass hers. Well the government would not know this anyway.

Did you get my drift?

Nigeria is what it is and this is sad. That is why, when i see specifically some B.Sc holders (with all due respect to the good ones) trying to bad mouth the HND, i weep.

You also know what? The guy with the highest GPA in Unilag this year was from Yabatech. He had Upper credit in his National Diploma but Unilag requested for distinction that year. He continued with HND and got a distinction. If he was poorly taught in Yabatech, would it have affected his studies in Unilag?

Common sense.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ishmael(m): 7:46pm On Apr 07, 2012
A policy should be made that will lay little or no significance to certificates, but the emphasis and significance will be knowledge and skills. This will help solve this problem of HND and Bsc disparity and preference to Bsc even in the absence of required skills. It is then and only then that nigeria can develop in all its sectors. What an obnoxious policy against poly graduates.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by mancol(m): 3:36pm On Apr 08, 2012
It is indeed an obnoxious policy against poly graduates. I also have ND in accounting(upper credit 3.39) from laspotec but i choose to go back and start from 100 level in Unilag in order to forestall this demonic, Nigerian made discrimination cum limitation.
Though I have not worked anywhere with my ND, it is rather sad to see the agonies of poly graduates who work in certain organisations. You dont just get equal preofessional progress as ur Bsc counterparts even when you are head and shoulder above them in job performance. It is just bad. At times, I just cant but ask why polytechnics are still allowed to exist even when certificates issued by them are seen to be mediocre?
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ishmael(m): 8:03pm On Apr 08, 2012
Yes, the poly certificate is seen as a mediocre cert that is not up to the standard of the uni cert, but yet the poly guys do the technical part of all the jobs. Those that are supposed to be researchers have ended up doing no research on anything meaningful at all. Take a look at our engineers who should design for technologists, they end up designing nothing, rather they end up doing the jobs of technicians fixing and repairing faulty engines and machines.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Lopeademol(m): 10:17am On May 23, 2012
hello fellas, In fact I am damn ready now. If u know of any Nigerian University that admits Hnd marketing 'upper credit' to Bus admin or maketing 300 level. Pls share. I dont mind maiduguri. Life itself is a risk, I'm facing it not myself alone God is with me. Thanks
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Businesstools(m): 11:20am On Jun 14, 2012
It's never too late.

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by megxo(m): 11:23am On Jun 14, 2012
well, i obtained D.E dis yr n am hoping 2 make dat switch into a UNI, cos am done been discriminated..... n i dont see dis discrimination stoppin in d long run.... i hav a National Diploma cert in Civil Engr.(3.65)
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by megxo(m): 11:24am On Jun 14, 2012
dereformer, nofin is eva late o.......... grab d nxt opportunity u see
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by bidoski(m): 11:25am On Jun 14, 2012
Is having that BSC or university degree a guarantee to getting that employment you dream of or success in Life?Lets change our mentality please.

9 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by miteolu(m): 11:39am On Jun 14, 2012
Good jobs and glorious future are the kokos.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by uceee(m): 11:45am On Jun 14, 2012
I hope am not derailing here. Can one still go on to get an M.sc and Ph.d after Hnd. Without getting a B.sc first?

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by damilola15: 11:57am On Jun 14, 2012
Go for it. It's never too late. If you're a bread winner the part-time is good for you as well.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by hassymo5(m): 12:04pm On Jun 14, 2012
GUY, Bleep BSC, IM HND HOLDER, THAT WONT STOP ME FROM ACHIEVING NY AIM..... WHAT YOU GONNA BE U GONNA BE WEATHER BSC OR HND OR EVEN ND, OND, CERT, FORGET, I DEY WITH MA HND WILL GO 4 PDG, MSC, PHD, Bleep BSC, IM GONNA MAKE IT WITHOUT A BSC, MOST OF OUR POLITICIANS ARE NOT BSC HOLDERS, OBJ WAS NOT A BSC HOLDER, SOME GOVERNORS ARE NOT BSC HOLDERS, GUYS WEATHER BSC OR HND SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD ANY ANY OTHER THING WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU, I SEEK GOD AND HE GAVE A JOB AT NVRI ALOT OF BSC HOLDERS DEY MA AREAS BUT GOD CHOOSE ME FOR THE JOB, BSC AND HND Bleep THEM, WE CANNOT ALL BE DOCTORS, NURSES, ENGINEERS, ACCOUNTANTS, OUR CHIEF ACCOUNTANT IS A HND HOLDER SO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, AS FOR ME I THANK GOD FOR MY HND AND I REMAIN GREATFUL!!!!

13 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kennytidistar(m): 12:21pm On Jun 14, 2012
Bsc ma foot how many Bsc holder secure job in Nigeria of today, the issue is not Bsc nor HND the issue is a national problem (unemployment) and again whon you know mentality god fatherism, guys stop wasting your time over Bsc HND issue all na trash, get better connection and see if you wont get job even with HND pass. emo nkankan omode nseyincheesy

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by seankola(m): 12:22pm On Jun 14, 2012
My brother, it is not by ur qualification; there's no job out there. It all started when yoruba education graduates and engineers get employment in banks while finance graduates is a public bus driver. Taking additional degrees will not increase your chance...it is only an expense that has turned everybody into entrepreneurs. If thee decay continues, I would advice secondary school grads to just take up trainings that can or engage professional exams directly instead of wasting half a decade on getting a university education. This is only how their chances of being employed can be assured.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by drzed: 12:24pm On Jun 14, 2012
In my opinion, the choice of pursuing BSc after HND is dependent on one's ambition or career route.

If you are the type who works for (and will likely continue to work for) government either in a local govt; state, or federal parastatal/ministry/agency, then you are best adviced to pursue the BSc at the earliest. Although age is no barrier as to when you can start. As I write this, today (14 June 2012) an octogenarian (80 year old man) is being celebrated for obtaining a 2nd class degree in LAW from LASU.

If however, you are the enterpreneuring type or your career is more geared towards working for private sector whether as consultant or as an employee of a e.g. a bank, a multi-national (for example), then certification and experience may serve you better. However, because many of those banks and multinationals are headed by Nigerians with BSc/HND dichotomy mentality, you may not rise as fast as you should.

In other words, to minimise risk and frustration in your old age, I would advise you pursue a BSc even if it is part-time. I remember that my dad had an HND-holding colleague in those days, who used to attend my university for a BTech degree. Today, he is a Deputy Director in FCDA. If he had not clenched his teeth and attended lectures with us, he would today still be a site engineer (i.e. those wey get rank for arm e.g. sergent) and not a boss (i.e. those wey get rank for shoulder, e.g. Lieutenant).

This is Nigeria. So if you are in civil service, you MUST be realistic. Where do you want your rank to be displayed when you hit the the age of 50? On your shoulders or on your arm?

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by miz4oxley(m): 12:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hmn... What an interesting thread to behold. I've got HND from one of the Polytechnics in Nigeria, and serving my father land now. Looking at this topic, I could remeber I sat for Jamb to study Quantity Surveying in Lag twice, even with the right qualification in my SSCE I wasn't admitted. Eventually, I tried PCE, I passed the exams and enrolled. Does that mean because I was admitted to the Poly, I wouldn't have been able to cope If admitted to Uni. Is it my fault I wasn't admitted lolz. Well, I've accepted my fate I've got HND, but I'll not stop their, cos after service, I've to be on my own and If I want to further I have to sponsor myself. So, the best is enroll for some proffesional exams and on. Later, get some money, off to ghana to convert my HND to Bsc soonest. Note: But, my capability and what I can offer matters a lot when It comes to HND or Bsc. I'm not freaked, but will get mine soon! Cheerio! In my field though, with Bsc, you bypass some exams to enroll with NIQS Prof.body. HND holder's write entry exams.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by drzed: 12:29pm On Jun 14, 2012
kennytidistar: Bsc ma foot how many Bsc holder secure job in Nigeria of today, the issue is not Bsc nor HND the issue is a national problem (unemployment) and again whon you know mentality god fatherism, guys stop wasting your time over Bsc HND issue all na trash, get better connection and see if you wont get job even with HND pass. emo nkankan omode nseyincheesy

Well, there are MANY Nigerian HND holders who do not have connection, long-leg or godfather and who are already in their 30s (like the OP). Also, most of them already have jobs (in which they wish to rise/progress) and they have family to cater for.

Such people do not have the luxury of saying 'BSc my foot'. They have to solve this sort of problem the hard (and long) way. But that is because it is the only way for them. Na who no like short cut?

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by swintiney: 12:50pm On Jun 14, 2012
For younger folks, boycott the polys until the Govt. regains their mental head
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by lond07: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2012
Dereformer: Let me start by saying, I'm an Hnd holder. Having gone through posts on this forum where some of my fellow Hnd holders bemoan their fate in the in the labour market, I cannot but say, upgrade what u currently have by enrolling into a university of your choice for a part-time Bsc program. Whether you go ahead to get PGD, MSC or professional qualification such as ACA, ACCA, CISA, COREN, CITN, etc, the discrimination will still be there without a Bsc certification. Even with my HND(Distinction) Acct, ACA, i find it difficult to believe that many organisations will publish vacancy requiring only university degree. Folks, we have to get this Bsc. Even though at my age (37) I should have obtained an MSC and one or two more professional qualifications; but i have made up my mind to go for a Bsc come next year 2013. Some universities will start you from 200 level, while some like IMSU will give 300 level. Plsease, be encouraged. Responses are encouraged.

I had mine at your age & thanks to God today, It has paid off bountifully.

You are on track. Alll the best

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by drzed: 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
uceee: I hope am not derailing here. Can one still go on to get an M.sc and Ph.d after Hnd. Without getting a B.sc first?

No, I dont think this is a derailment. In fact, it is an interesting angle.

As per your question actual question, yes, it is possible to do an MSc (and later, PhD) with HND, but in Nigeria, it is not easy or possible without certification and post graduate courses. Needless to say, the route is VERY long, frustrating and complicated in Naija. And there is no guarantee that if you meet their criteria, you will be accepted. We all know how things work in Nigeria.

You are better off trying long-distance accredited schools abroad. I am not talking of those University of Phoenix kind of wowo-online degrees. I am speaking of for example, UNISA in South Africa (www.unisa.ac.za/). This school is actually one of the oldest long-distance schools in the world. There are also regular universities in Malaysia, Holland, and UK that have long-distance,web-based or part-time Masters degree courses.

Now, whether these schools will accept your HND is something I cannot judge or advice upon. What I do know is that unlike in Nigeria, where muppets are in charge of admissions, in many foreign countries, when you apply, you would make a personal statement, where you justify your suitability based on your past qualifications (i.e. HND); work experience and professional certifications. They take such personal statements and professional development VERY seriously.

And if age is NOT on your side (i.e. you are in your mid-late 30s and above), they will most likely be favourably disposed to classify you as a mature student. Which is good. This will allow them to ease their criteria for admission in your case. But they will likely ask you to take a handful (e.g. 2 to 3) final year undergraduate courses, as pre-requisites, just to brush you up; e.g. research methods - as part of your first year MSc programme.

This sort of arrangement (for mature students) is also considered for full-time housewives, disabled people, etc. In many foreign schools, they understand that people's circumstances cannot all be the same, but EVERYONE is entitled to pursue further education. They respect zeal and desire.

In other words, there are many routes to an MSc/PhD. Dont restrict yourself to the shambolic and stone-age process of MSc admission obtained in Nigeria. Information is POWER. Search South Africa and Malaysia specifically. Also consider Australia and the UK (if you can afford it, cos these oyibos sabi charge person money).

Furthermore, dont make the mistake of just applying to these foreign schools once you see a programme that you like. No. To avoid disappointment, time-wasting and to optimise your efforts, you should first of all, write to the admissions officer or HOD of the programme you are interested in. State your case and ask for advice. Building a relationship matters. Let me tell you why. When it is time to offer admissions, the admissions committee would sit and evaluate applicants and it is likely that an admissions officer or HOD will stand-up for you IF they are familiar with your case. Otherwise, you will just be another candidate, and dem no too send you. This is why those who apply for PhD are better advised to write to a Professor (potential supervisor) firstly, so that he will agree to work with them and support their admission and scholarship/funding, if applicable.

I am speaking from experience by the way, as in, I have participated in the admission process abroad.

I hope this was helpful.

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by lifestyle1(m): 1:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
[size=18pt]And will the Bsc upgrade guarantee you a Job ? undecided

And Must I work Under anybody ? undecided[/size]
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kaysy(m): 1:09pm On Jun 14, 2012
HND or Bsc... Self development is the key. you need to look inwards and seek for that which you as a person loves doing, identify its relevance in the society and then transform this into cash. You can start up a business without capitals provided u have the idea and techniques. Am a Student of Yabatech currently running my HND, i did my IT in GTBank; i dnt think i can work for any organization again cos with the development and experience i've got from these two institutions, am set to rock the business of self employment and entrepreneurship and my target is a minimum of N1m a month [dnt ask me how] i bet 90% of Bsc graduates cnt afford that. though its gonna be a gradual process but the success of this is so clear. You have a potential in u, develop it.

My business name registration in progress..[Corporate Affairs Commission]
Opening of Corporate Account follows immediately
You dnt necessarily need to have a physical office at first [an online office can help for now]

Nigeria is still under developed, we'r fortunate to be here by now, alot of opportunities are bound out there.
Search Yourself and stop this qualification and discriminated mindset u may have

Note: If you fail to plan... then u have succeeded in planning to fail

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Gbigbon: 1:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
This issue of discrimination between HND and BSc holders has been overflogged in this forum. I remember somebody brought up the topic and my advise for the person to go ahead and acquire a BSc degreee not minding the age. I had my first degree at the age of 40 after HND. This was called for when I became a victim of same discrimation and I have never regretted taking that decision. Infact, I have been given more recognition in my office.
Please go ahead and acquire one. Nobody cares if you have ACCA, MBA etc with the first degree.
Thank you.
Gbigbon.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kissoflife: 1:31pm On Jun 14, 2012
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by hapi(m): 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
This ia a very nice thread. I think we the HND holders should try n organise a peaceful protest with the help of this media hoeses for widespread coverage. It is either the government recognise us as equals or they should scrap the HND cert. The idea of fed. Min of labour n min of foreign affairs advert for strictly bsc candidate is insilting to us. If the gov. Agencies can treat us that way, what do u expect frm the private coy.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by Gbigbon: 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2012
It is not enough to begin to lobby any media house to help in sensitising any govt agency. The fact remains that you as an individual should do something about yourself. If you know that the only way to eradicate this disparity is to obtain a degree, I repeat againt, please do in your own interest. Its better and for the future. There is no short cut to it. HND programmes should not be abolished. It is just that our educational planners fail to get the priorities well. This accounts for the discrimination.
Bye.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kennytidistar(m): 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2012
Well, there are MANY Nigerian HND holders who do not have connection,
long-leg or godfather and who are already in their 30s (like the OP).
Also, most of them already have jobs (in which they wish to
rise/progress) and they have family to cater for.

Such people do not have the luxury of saying 'BSc my foot'. They have to
solve this sort of problem the hard (and long) way. But that is because
it is the only way for them. Na who no like short cut?

ok sidon there make pant they wear you hahaahahaah (i dey laugh) one thing is sure in Naija except we want to deceive our selves those heavy requirement are just unneccessary they use it to scare candidate away so that they can fit in there own i am talking from experience i hope you know that so leave the matter they wey e dey. dont let anybody put you head under leg.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by trigar12(m): 2:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
This country makes hnd holders looks useless which is sad
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by sessydoo(m): 2:14pm On Jun 14, 2012
This topic is quite interesting....the problem with HND in naija is really wt the employers of labour. I would prefer a situation where evrybody is placed on d same level playing ground where u re allowed to prove ur worth. there are bad eggs evrywhere be it HND holders or BSC holders and dat is why i will be forever grateful to banks like Oceanic, Intercontinental, FBN, Wema, Union, UBA and a few others. i remember when i was crossing from Wema to Intercontinetal smtimes in 2007, the panel was really impressed with my performance and out of about 20 candidates (wt probably 2 hnd holders), i got the job. COYS THAT SEE BEYOND DISCRIMATION BUT PLACE EVRYBODY ON THE SAME LEVEL-PLAYING FIELD USUALLY PROGRESS MORE AND FLOURISH BETTER bc it affords them the opportunity to pick the best amongst the best. I usually tell the younger generation to go for Bsc bc the discrimation can be very annoying. It wasnt this obvious in my days or else i wuld hav gone to univ by all means. i remb vividly dat our 1st son got 2 offers then viz economics in UI and accounting in Poly ibadan and went for accounting in poly ibd just bc he wanted to become an accountant. He left banking ETB at d age of 40 as a GM (if u knw what dat means). i hav also had d opportunity to be part of so many panel interviews and i cannot bt shake my heads at some Bsc holders (some hnd holders are equally horrible though), the question is do we still hav quality education in naija? the answ is yes but quite expensive these days.
@OP do u know that some coys will still discriminate against ur Bsc cert just because of ur age? some of my colleagues dat went to babcok uni to upgrade their hnd certs to bsc are finding it difficult to even use it. the quest d employer usually asks is how come u re just obtaining a bsc at 40? So bros just be focused and commit evrythin to God, howevr if u re working pls cont wt ur work and make uur Bsc prgram a part-time. Cheers

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Real Airport Cleaner Who Returned N12M Gets Salary Increase / 13 Pictures That Are Too Real For New Salary Earners!!! / Experience Of A 17 Year Old Boy Cleaning A Female Toilet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.