Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,201 members, 7,807,679 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? (47568 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / Hope For Hnd Holders, Hnd / Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by mkoabiola: 10:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
Quite intresting topic?I don't care abt d certificat u av ,it is just a paper or document.wat u av to offer is d ultimate n ingrident of ur education.
Who told u cannt mak it in lyf wit ur HND?d funniest aspect of it was d day a lady wit BSC told me she can't marry an HND holder.lol
I told her I av HND and I will go any lenght to defend it dat som BSC cannot even stand b4 me.
I molested her dat day,I told her she is doesn't even d quality of a Bsc holder,dat I for 1 cannt even marry her.Do not limit ursef be an EMPLOYER of labour not a job seeker.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by aktunde(m): 10:28pm On Jun 14, 2012
@ stupor
While top rated universities are taking advantage of these HND quality graduates,offering them direct MSC programmes thereby making them contribute fully well to their own country's economical GDP,foolish Nigerian governments and purposeless employers are recruiting raw BSC holders with no quality as compared to that a finished HND holder.

Thanks my brother. You are talking about me here. And this is why my heart never stops bleeding for the youths of Nigeria. Especially those who couldn't find an escape route from such discrimination. Graduated with HND and served in 2006, I faced this discrimination as a job applicant. Universities in Nigeria will also not allow me to go straight for Masters despite my good strong GPA. I tried the PGD route to Masters. I was also frustrated by those seeking bribes which I could neither afford nor give at that time. Button line, I couldn't get a job with the HND, and I couldn't proceed educationally when I wanted to. I got stuck!! I applied for Masters with the same GPA, performed well in the entrance exams and I got admitted into for a Masters program in U.S. My country is too blind to see the potentials in me, but the smart country can see it and accepted me. They gave me all the opportunities, and right now, I am preparing for my Phd. After my Phd, I will rather work here for a little while and show gratitude to the country which sees the potential in me, and gives me all the opportunity than rushing back to a country which almost ruined my potentials. Call it brain drain if you like, I don't care because Nigeria doesn't care about us (the HND Grads, other unemployed grads & the educated hustlers). And to you HND holders, don't let them hold you down. Struggle till you get to the top because they don't care about you. Your destiny is in your hands

5 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by keleto(m): 10:48pm On Jun 14, 2012
pls i want someone to help with useful information on this. i just started an engineering programme with the UNISA. (university of south africa).Do uou know if nigeria employers would value d cert?an is it really aceptable jere in naija? also i would love to meet an engineering student on that school

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ishmael(m): 10:55pm On Jun 14, 2012
HND holders, your training and skills are worth more than a Bsc degree. U have what it takes to be self employed. Try and create jobs by urself and employ even the Bsc guys to work for u. For those thinking that the HND is inferior to the Bsc, don't even think of it. U can't compare a nigerian polytechnic HND acctancy graduate with a nigerian Bsc acctng graduate; the HND graduate at anytime is better equipped with the needed acctng skills than the Bsc graduate.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by tanimola22: 11:16pm On Jun 14, 2012
aktunde:

Thanks my brother. You are talking about me here. And this is why my heart never stops bleeding for the youths of Nigeria. Especially those who couldn't find an escape route from such discrimination. Graduated with HND and served in 2006, I faced this discrimination as a job applicant. Universities in Nigeria will also not allow me to go straight for Masters despite my good strong GPA. I tried the PGD route to Masters. I was also frustrated by those seeking bribes which I could neither afford nor give at that time. Button line, I couldn't get a job with the HND, and I couldn't proceed educationally when I wanted to. I got stuck!! I applied for Masters with the same GPA, performed well in the entrance exams and I got admitted into for a Masters program in U.S. My country is too blind to see the potentials in me, but the smart country can see it and accepted me. They gave me all the opportunities, and right now, I am preparing for my Phd. After my Phd, I will rather remain here and show gratitude to the country which sees the potential in me, and gives me all the opportunity than rushing back to a country which almost ruined my potentials. Call it brain drain if you like, I don't care because Nigeria doesn't care about us (the HND Grads, other unemployed grads & the educated hustlers). And to you HND holders, don't let them hold you down. Struggle till you get to the top because they don't care about you. Your destiny is in your hands

I gbadun your story very well. Very, very unbiased indeed. No BSc bashing, which makes the story all the more interesting to read. You even went ahead to provide practical ways of escaping the negative perception.... Power of exposure.

Congrats mhen. Abeg come back O..We still need exposed researchers at our pitiable universities in naija.

T22

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by tanimola22: 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2012
keleto: pls i want someone to help with useful information on this. i just started an engineering programme with the UNISA. (university of south africa).Do uou know if nigeria employers would value d cert?an is it really aceptable jere in naija? also i would love to meet an engineering student on that school

You are asking again? South African Universities are the best in Africa and UNISA is one of the top 10 universities in SA. If employers recognize Ife, Ibadan, UNN, Unilag, Uniben, ABU and others, then it is impossible for them not to recognize UNISA. I mean, UNISA ranks way higher than the best school in Nigeria.

Abeg, go and get 75% and above at UNISA. Employers in naija will more than recognize your degree.

T22

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by stupor(m): 12:22am On Jun 15, 2012
GboyegaD:

Your post got me laughing because I sense some resentment in your post towards the university graduate. One thing I know is that the school doesn't make one therefore, the degree one holds doesn't make one better than the next person.
Bros I hail,no resentment though,just trying to paint a clearer and precise picture.

I think the poster of this thread is even not matured to have asked this questions.

My little friend's' brother of 25 finished from lagos city polytechnic,went to the UK and has already 2 good masters degree,including Nigerian HND,he's also a Certified Auditor and Credit professional.

He's moved to the US where he is gainfully employed with 6 digits paid in dollars,while yeye Universities and even Polytechnics holds no future for burgeoning graduates but rather make it more dis enabling for even the educated to find a quiet place to think how to create or even find solutions to these problems they have created for everyone.

By God's grace next year,I'm joining him in the US to start my masters and hopefully settle and get work over there.

He said US is very interesting that I'll love to have ten degrees if my brain can carry it and I don't have to die while searching for a job.

He also said,he got his well paid. Job in a Job fair organised monthly by blacks.

He also said lots of Highly placed Nigerian Elite's children attend such job fairs too as everyone is placed equally.

He also said they valued his HND in Sectional Heads Meetings because they always want him to the apparatus to given problems as that was his University's Don remarked on his papers as Technical recommendation despite the fact that he knows he's just an average.

So my broda,don't mind them,as for me and my house am heading to the states and my Aeroplane no go fall even if haters they vex,

They have offered me too courtesy of my five year younger brother's friend positive escapades and footprints.

If na Nigeria like let them finish the country with archaic policies,

What is any Nigerian University's position in the world,even Ghana University's will dust anyone of them.

I love my country but it seems other country needs me,am sorry,but I have to go for my future to be brighter o.(Funny)

Bye !

3 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by 2sexy(m): 2:04am On Jun 15, 2012
aktunde:

Thanks my brother. You are talking about me here. And this is why my heart never stops bleeding for the youths of Nigeria. Especially those who couldn't find an escape route from such discrimination. Graduated with HND and served in 2006, I faced this discrimination as a job applicant. Universities in Nigeria will also not allow me to go straight for Masters despite my good strong GPA. I tried the PGD route to Masters. I was also frustrated by those seeking bribes which I could neither afford nor give at that time. Button line, I couldn't get a job with the HND, and I couldn't proceed educationally when I wanted to. I got stuck!! I applied for Masters with the same GPA, performed well in the entrance exams and I got admitted into for a Masters program in U.S. My country is too blind to see the potentials in me, but the smart country can see it and accepted me. They gave me all the opportunities, and right now, I am preparing for my Phd. After my Phd, I will rather remain here and show gratitude to the country which sees the potential in me, and gives me all the opportunity than rushing back to a country which almost ruined my potentials. Call it brain drain if you like, I don't care because Nigeria doesn't care about us (the HND Grads, other unemployed grads & the educated hustlers). And to you HND holders, don't let them hold you down. Struggle till you get to the top because they don't care about you. Your destiny is in your hands
Bros. I am currently doing my HND and wouldn't mind if you feed me with info about schools where I can do a Postgraduate Diploma in US as a petroleum engineering graduate. Please send me an email through the email in my signature and I'll be more than glad if you help me.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by aktunde(m): 3:36am On Jun 15, 2012
Bros. I am currently doing my HND and wouldn't mind if you feed me with info about schools where I can do a Postgraduate Diploma in US as a petroleum engineering graduate. Please send me an email through the email in my signature and I'll be more than glad if you help me.

There may be, but I am not sure of any school that offers PGD in the U.S. Most offers Masters direct. So, you can easily escape the PGD thing, and go straight for Masters. Some U.S schools have agencies that convert foreign degrees to that of U.S standard. When my HND was converted by World Education Services (WES), it was an equivalent as a Bachelors in the U.S. So, as far as the school is concerned, I have a Bsc (after the conversion), and they accepted me for Masters. Depending on your undergraduate degree, you may be asked to take some prerequisite courses. But if your HND is directly related to your Masters, you can start the Masters direct. Most US schools look beyond your certificate. They consider your entrance scores (GRE,GMAT,TOEFL) and your statement of purpose. If you impress them with your write up, with a good test score and GPA, you are good to go! Since you said you did Petroleum engineering, I will advise you look for schools in Texas. you can research schools at www.univsource.com . Search by state, and look for schools in schools Texas. On a final note. Do not pay anyone to help you get admission in the US or to get visa. If you take your time to read, you can do it all by yourself. I did not pay agent one kobo to get here. I did it all by myself, and I got my US visa at first appearance on a virgin passport. This tells you how smart HND students can be wink If you need more information about studying in the US, I encourage you to check the travel section of nairaland, and read threads about studying in the U.S. That place is very helpful, and I consider it as the best section on nairaland.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by aktunde(m): 3:58am On Jun 15, 2012
I gbadun your story very well. Very, very unbiased indeed. No BSc bashing, which makes the story all the more interesting to read. You even went ahead to provide practical ways of escaping the negative perception.... Power of exposure.

Congrats mhen. [b]Abeg come back O..[/b]We still need exposed researchers at our pitiable universities in naija.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

I definitely will return someday cool cool
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by RuuDie(m): 5:58am On Jun 15, 2012
This is the way I see it. . .

If you're an OND holder, you can push for DE to any Uni, I reckon you can consider this a step forward or on par. But for someone who has completed 2 years, 2 years HND + 1 year Industrial Attachment to push for a DE simply to end up in year 2 or 3 in the Uni - absurd! Me, I consider that a serious backward movement! Ahead, ahead. . .I'd move for PGD and progress to Masters and other Post-graduate qualifications.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by 2sexy(m): 8:17am On Jun 15, 2012
aktunde:

There may be, but I am not sure of any school that offers PGD in the U.S. Most offers Masters direct. So, you can easily escape the PGD thing, and go straight for Masters. Some U.S schools have agencies that convert foreign degrees to that of U.S standard. When my HND was converted by World Education Services (WES), it was an equivalent as a Bachelors in the U.S. So, as far as the school is concerned, I have a Bsc (after the conversion), and they accepted me for Masters. Depending on your undergraduate degree, you may be asked to take some prerequisite courses. But if your HND is directly related to your Masters, you can start the Masters direct. Most US schools look beyond your certificate. They consider your entrance scores (GRE,GMAT,TOEFL) and your statement of purpose. If you impress them with your write up, with a good test score and GPA, you are good to go! Since you said you did Petroleum engineering, I will advise you look for schools in Texas. you can research schools at www.univsource.com . Search by state, and look for schools in schools Texas. On a final note. Do not pay anyone to help you get admission in the US or to get visa. If you take your time to read, you can do it all by yourself. I did not pay agent one kobo to get here. I did it all by myself, and I got my US visa at first appearance on a virgin passport. This tells you how smart HND students can be wink If you need more information about studying in the US, I encourage you to check the travel section of nairaland, and read threads about studying in the U.S. That place is very helpful, and I consider it as the best section on nairaland.
Thanks... From the way you talk it seem you graduated with a distinction. But I will be leaving with an upper credit so what are my chances of being taken when my CGPA is converted to the US standard?

I know the travel section but often visit the Canada thread. I only recently chose US due to the job prospect after following the advice of a fellow member(2good) in another thread.

What about the issue of financing, your tution fees, accommodation etc how did you scale the hurdle? Did you get a grant or scholarship? I know its very expensive to school in US when compared to Canada and as such I wasn't born with a silver spoon but I believe I can do it.
Kindly fill me in.
Thanks.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by 2sexy(m): 8:18am On Jun 15, 2012
aktunde:

Thanks... From the way you talk it seem you graduated with a distinction. But I will be leaving with an upper credit so what are my chances of being taken when my CGPA is converted to the US standard?

I know the travel section but often visit the Canada thread. I only recently chose US due to the job prospect after following the advice of a fellow member(2good) in another thread.

What about the issue of financing, your tution fees, accommodation etc how did you scale the hurdle? Did you get a grant or scholarship? I know its very expensive to school in US when compared to Canada and as such I wasn't born with a silver spoon but I believe I can do it.
Kindly fill me in.
Thanks.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ade2kay(m): 9:13am On Jun 15, 2012
I finished HND upper credit in 2005, got a job in 2007 after NYSC, and on my 5th job now, with more than 5times my starting salary.
The truth, friends is that the University or Poly does not make you in life. Self development is the key. I've read more books outside school in my 5years in poly.
The same crap computer science taught in Unis is also taught in Polys, except some few private Unis now. I'm lucky never to have experienced discrimination in my career, though i've started my PGD and BSc (University of Wales).
In my little life, i've assisted UK Msc students with their project works (with proof!), and when i sent my PGD project to my supervisor some months ago, he was so amazed at the quality that he asked me if i was copying from a book!. This a PHD holder FYI
I will never advice my househelp to go to a Poly, cos talks of this discrimination can be so demoralising. For the bros about to start his PHD in the US, pls dont come back. Some low-life will still talk about your HND when you come back.

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kennytidistar(m): 10:08am On Jun 15, 2012
let me tell you the truth it is Nigeria general problem is just a way of diverting attention, how many % of university graduate secure job annually even with your Bsc in your hand you still cry in Naija for job seeking is not a matter of Bsc or HND the truth is the space and job are not there. those rogues and robbers in the national assembly never use the money they stole to establish company they keep sendin it to europe so why fighting over Bsc and HND when even with your Bsc you still cry for job my friend who graduated from LASU with second class upper in computer science is still at home cryin and his counter part with HND from LCP who completed service in feb 2012 has already secured job so everybody should carry his cross and not about HND or Bsc thank!
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by manibuds(m): 10:11am On Jun 15, 2012
the solutions to this HND problem seem to be outside the country.oyinbo universities design and create courses for positions in their economy nigerian universities do not.the owners,directors of companies send their children to certain universities[rated as the best 5 in the country],do you expect them to give the best jobs to other peoples children?the rate of unemployement cannot be ascertained in nigeria but we all know it is very high,so its survival of the fittest[fittest in everything].we all know that only a few HND holders can compete with their B.sc counterparts[at least in written exams and ability to express themselves in proper english].I have worked in an organisation that used man-know-man and some meritocracy,i have also worked in organisation that will only take two-one B.Sc from certain universities and the difference in terms of staff performance is sadly in favour of the discriminatory organisation.my advice to both Bsc and HND students is to make sure you get into a relevant Bsc course while you can,the years you will lose due to discrimination after graduation will double(if not quadruple) the 2 years you will lose in changing from poly to univ or B.sc biochem/botany/micro to degree in medicine or B.Sc pol science to LLB.many courses are just not relevant in nigeria.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by tanimola22: 10:23am On Jun 15, 2012
manibuds: the solutions to this HND problem seem to be outside the country.oyinbo universities design and create courses for positions in their economy nigerian universities do not.the owners,directors of companies send their children to certain universities[rated as the best 5 in the country],do you expect them to give the best jobs to other peoples children?[b]the rate of unemployement cannot be ascertained in nigeria [/b]but we all know it is very high,so its survival of the fittest[fittest in everything].we all know that only a few HND holders can compete with their B.sc counterparts[at least in written exams and ability to express themselves in proper english].I have worked in an organisation that used man-know-man and some meritocracy,i have also worked in organisation that will only take two-one B.Sc from certain universities and the difference in terms of staff performance is sadly in favour of the discriminatory organisation.my advice to both Bsc and HND students is to make sure you get into a relevant Bsc course while you can,the years you will lose due to discrimination after graduation will double(if not quadruple) the 2 years you will lose in changing from poly to univ or B.sc biochem/botany/micro to degree in medicine or B.Sc pol science to LLB.many courses are just not relevant in nigeria.

:DLool, they said it was less than 30% in 2008. Another lool

T22
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by aktunde(m): 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2012

Kindly fill me in.
Thanks.

There you are wrong cheesy cheesy. I did not graduate with distinction. I graduated with 3.38 on a 4.0 scale at a Federal Poly in Nigeria. The luck I had is that my school is using a 4.0 scale like most U.S schools. So, the equivalent of my GPA is close to theirs. When my transcript was converted, it became 3.46 on the U.S standard. Yes, 3.40 (not a typographical error). If you have upper credit in Nigeria, its likely your GPA will increase when converted. And if you have lower credit, its likely it will decrease from what you have initially. I used www.wes.org for my evaluation. That is what my school recommended for me. As for the tuition, I was also not born with silver spoon. I did not get scholarship or grant. But I came with my one year tuition (no money for accommodation and other things). Somehow, I survived. Like I once said, I do not want to change the focus of this thread to studying in the U.S. A thread for this is already available in the travel section. Please try to read the thread. I suggest you start reading from the beginning, and you don't have to complete it the same day because is very long.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by RuuDie(m): 1:51pm On Jun 15, 2012
Ridiculous this notion. . . .that after bagging PGD, Masters, PhD plus work experience and whatever else in between, an individual can still be denied a role because of his or her HND roots as !!?

Lai lai, I never see. I refuse to believe it until it happens to me!
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by aktunde(m): 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
As for the guy asking me not to return now, wetin I wan come do? As a Grad student working in the Technology department of my school, I get paid more than what an average professor of more than 30 years of experience will get in Nigeria. So, how would I come down and start competing for the same peanuts with those cruel lecturers (local champions) who see themselves as kings and terrors in the classroom? Here in the U.S, my professors address us as "sir" and "ma'am". When in office, they keep their doors widely open except when the weather is cold. But in Naija, lecturers/professors offices are not only closed. They are always locked (probably because they always have babes inside). And when the babe manages to open the door for you, the stern look on the the lecturers face will make you forget why you came initially. I never forget all these memories, and I feel like coursing out all those rude lecturers/professors in Nigeria, each time I see the way professors respect students here. It's just something different.

[b]Note: [/b]I am not trying to paint the U.S as the best solution to everything (the discrimination or whatever). My experience in the U.S just happens to be on the good sides. Others have their stories which might be horrible. So, the best thing is either you have HND or Bsc or even Phd in Nigeria, it still doesn't guarantee you anything good in the Nigeria I know. Just keep trying, and I hope one day you will smile cheesy cheesy. Im out! wink

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by 2sexy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 15, 2012
aktunde: As for the guy asking me not to return now, wetin I wan come do? As a Grad student working in the Technology department of my school, I get paid more than what an average professor of more than 30 years of experience will get in Nigeria. So, how would I come down and start competing for the same peanuts with those cruel lecturers (local champions) who see themselves as kings and terrors in the classroom? Here in the U.S, my professors address us as "sir" and "ma'am". When in office, they keep their doors widely open except when the weather is cold. But in Naija, lecturers/professors offices are not only closed. They are always locked (probably because they always have babes inside). And when the babe manages to open the door for you, the stern look on the the lecturers face will make you forget why you came initially. I never forget all these memories, and I feel like coursing out all those rude lecturers/professors in Nigeria, each time I see the way professors respect students here. It's just something different. So my brother even if I return (which I don't even think of doing except visiting), I am not coming to work with those kind of sadists. I will rather set myself up, and run a business of my own.

[b]Note: [/b]I am not trying to paint the U.S as the best solution to everything (the discrimination or whatever). My experience in the U.S just happens to be on the good sides. Others have their stories which might be horrible. So, the best thing is either you have HND or Bsc or even Phd in Nigeria, it still doesn't guarantee you anything good in the Nigeria I know. Just keep trying, and I hope one day you will smile cheesy cheesy. Im out! wink
man, I feel you. Its everywhere and most of them stupidly carry this attitude with them even to developed countries. A month ago, a man stated here that he terminated his contract with a whole cleaning company just because of the rude manner of a Nigerian woman displayed in London. And she didn't realized that it was the owner of the hospital standing by because the man looked like a patient and was just recuperating from a surgery he just undergone in his hospital. The owner of the hospital is a member of this forum.

Last week, I met with a lecturer to submit my project work for review and he angrily asked me to get out of his presence for a crime I didn't commit. I left him but still greeted him the next day I saw him. I have given my file to his superior.

Yet , these same people will blame top leaders but not realizing that they too are leaders.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by segunolar: 3:33pm On Jun 15, 2012
Am in final year(Hnd)...seriously i dont think i want to experience such discrimination(Hnd Bsc)...infact am not even going to wait for NYSC,afterall employers(abroad) dont give a bleep about it...am going to travel to the western world..where my Hnd cert will be apperciated without any form of sentiment or discrimination..yea..where i can further my education(masters) without any fear of the unseen
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by kumbalo(m): 4:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
@poster, you will only become more frustrated if upon getting your B.SC u still don't get the job!it is not about your certificate(HND/B.Sc) but a national issue of UNEMPLOYMENT HEADING NORTHWARDS by the day advice? at 37yrs getting a job could proof a lot difficult. pull some financial resources together and THINK of what business to do. goodluck.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2012
aktunde:

That is what I mean when I tell people it is more about the indicidual than the degree you have. The only challenge is that the opportunities to showcase yourself if you have an HND in Nigeria is lower compared to if you have a Bsc and that is the challenge. When are you concluding your Masters program? Wish you well in your academic pursuit although, we seem to be in the same race for now.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2012
ishmael: HND holders, your training and skills are worth more than a Bsc degree. U have what it takes to be self employed. Try and create jobs by urself and employ even the Bsc guys to work for u. For those thinking that the HND is inferior to the Bsc, don't even think of it. U can't compare a nigerian polytechnic HND acctancy graduate with a nigerian Bsc acctng graduate; the HND graduate at anytime is better equipped with the needed acctng skills than the Bsc graduate.

Same mistake people make. The emphasis by HND holders about their degree being superior to the BSc is what makes the BSc holder believe he is superior because if you are, you do not fight for supremacy. I get angry seeing such comparison often times because I think what people should strive for is to be recognised as an excellent person irrespective of your degree or its class.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2012
tanimola22:

Congrats mhen. Abeg come back O..We still need exposed researchers at our pitiable universities in naija.

T22

You go lecture for Naija university
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2012
stupor:
Bros I hail,no resentment though,just trying to paint a clearer and precise picture.

I think the poster of this thread is even not matured to have asked this questions.

My little brother of 25 finished from lagos city polytechnic,went to the UK and has already 2 good masters degree,including Nigerian HND,he's also a Certified Auditor and Credit professional.

He's moved to the US where he is gainfully employed with 6 digits paid in dollars,while yeye Universities and even Polytechnics holds no future for burgeoning graduates but rather make it more dis enabling for even the educated to find a quiet place to think how to create or even find solutions to these problems they have created for everyone.

By God's grace next year,I'm joining him in the US to start my masters and hopefully settle and get work over there.

He said US is very interesting that I'll love to have ten degrees if my brain can carry it and I don't have to die while searching for a job.

He also said,he got his well paid. Job in a Job fair organised monthly by blacks.

He also said lots of Highly placed Nigerian Elite's children attend such job fairs too as everyone is placed equally.

He also said they valued his HND in Sectional Heads Meetings because they always want him to the apparatus to given problems as that was his University's Don remarked on his papers as Technical recommendation despite the fact that he knows he's just an average.

So my broda,don't mind them,as for me and my house am heading to the states and my Aeroplane no go fall even if haters they vex,

They have offered me too courtesy of my five year younger brother's positive escapades and footprints.

If na Nigeria like let them finish the country with archaic policies,

What is any Nigerian University's position in the world,even Ghana University's will dust anyone of them.

I love my country but it seems other country needs me,am sorry,but I have to go for my future to be brighter

Bye !

You are welcome. We will be waiting to receive you in good tidings. As for your Masters application, I would advise you research schools that have very good funding for their Masters program as that reduces the financial burden on your sponsor.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:22pm On Jun 15, 2012
2sexy:

Kindly fill me in.
Thanks.

This is one of the challenges of the Nigerian Youth creating obstacle where actually there is none. Just strive to finish with an Upper Credit and I can assure you by WES evaluation, you sure would meet the minimum 3.0 GPA required for admission. Like Ak adviced, you would need to prepare well for the GRE and get a good score and write a very good statement of purpose and you sure would get the desired admission.
Lastly, I would advise you read well about the funding options in your school so that you are sure they have very good funding to see you through school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
ade2kay: I finished HND upper credit in 2005, got a job in 2007 after NYSC, and on my 5th job now, with more than 5times my starting salary.
The truth, friends is that the University or Poly does not make you in life. Self development is the key. I've read more books outside school in my 5years in poly.
The same crap computer science taught in Unis is also taught in Polys, except some few private Unis now. I'm lucky never to have experienced discrimination in my career, though i've started my PGD and BSc (University of Wales).
In my little life, i've assisted UK Msc students with their project works (with proof!), and when i sent my PGD project to my supervisor some months ago, he was so amazed at the quality that he asked me if i was copying from a book!. This a PHD holder FYI
I will never advice my househelp to go to a Poly, cos talks of this discrimination can be so demoralising. For the bros about to start his PHD in the US, pls dont come back. Some low-life will still talk about your HND when you come back.

WIth his PhD, those low life dare not talk because he has proven beyond doubt that he is an excellent candidate. Like he stated, he's got great plans for himself so his coming back would be at his convenience as such, he would get his respect.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by GboyegaD(m): 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2012
segunolar: Am in final year(Hnd)...seriously i dont think i want to experience such discrimination(Hnd Bsc)...infact am not even going to wait for NYSC,afterall employers(abroad) dont give a bleep about it...am going to travel to the western world..where my Hnd cert will be apperciated without any form of sentiment or discrimination..yea..where i can further my education(masters) without any fear of the unseen

Hope you are not expecting people to answer this question of yours. What I can suggest is you know what you want to be and where you want to as such, you can go online and search the schools in the country you intend going, make inquiries from the school and can then seek help for clarification. Best of luck in your pursuits!!!

1 Like

Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by ishmael(m): 7:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
GboyegaD:

Same mistake people make. The emphasis by HND holders about their degree being superior to the BSc is what makes the BSc holder believe he is superior because if you are, you do not fight for supremacy. I get angry seeing such comparison often times because I think what people should strive for is to be recognised as an excellent person irrespective of your degree or its class.
my friend, i have attended both schools and i know how people in the uni who have never been to the polytechnic b4 say about poly being inferior. This is not true as the poly guys in courses like acctng, biz admin, marketing, statistics, etc. do better than their uni counterparts. The truth is when i was moving to the university, i moved with my poly notes and other materials and they were very useful to me. University education in nigeria at undergraduate level is very faulty.
Re: HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? by hapi(m): 8:01pm On Jun 15, 2012
keleto: pls i want someone to help with useful information on this. i just started an engineering programme with the UNISA. (university of south africa).Do uou know if nigeria employers would value d cert?an is it really aceptable jere in naija? also i would love to meet an engineering student on that school
am also interested about the unisa stuff, can u pls with the process and finance involve in it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Breweries Salary Structure: Salary Of Nigeria Breweries PLC / 13 Pictures That Are Too Real For New Salary Earners!!! / The Real Airport Cleaner Who Returned N12M Gets Salary Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.