Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,567 members, 7,801,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? (22881 Views)

I Am Falling Apart With My Mom / A Nairalander Retakes photo Of His Mum And Siblings After 24 Years / Why Do Siblings Become Less Friendly When They Grow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 10, 2012
Oh, I love dis topic,cos im a living example of siblings falling apart. my family is a great one, we are all so so united and love each oda greatly, even tho we are all adults now and live apart, we still do get in touch until 2009...........b4 den I was very very close to my immediate younger sis, she was my friend, my sister, my confidant, infact other friends usually wondered abt the closeness btw us, we were never apart, her friends were mine and mine were hers. We cd not do without speaking with one another for a day. even after we both got married, every opportunity we had, we try to spend time together, our husbands even wondered at our closeness, it was so superb, i loved her to pieces, but what happened?

In 2009, we had a very big fight and it separated us ever since, Not dat we never had fights and missunderstandings, we did and it was always resolved amicably btw us. This one was just so bad, I felt betrayed and back stabbed by her....(long story). We settled it somehow, but everything changed btw us, now we hardly talk evn on phone. Birthdays and festive periods pass by without an 'hello sis'...... lipsrsealed I've forgiven her of course, but i guess its better to be just a sibling and apart!

My take on this, : I learnt a big lesson, never get too close to any of ur siblings, let dem remain siblings, and not ur friends or confidante.

thinking back i remember i friend of mine warned me abt my closeness with my sis, that it was not always good to make ur sis ur best friend and confidant, but i waived it off. When what happened btw my sis I happened, i remembered that advice. grin
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by nwanioma(f): 7:36pm On Apr 10, 2012
peaceheartt: Oh, I love dis topic,cos im a living example of siblings falling apart. my family is a great one, we are all so so united and love each oda greatly, even tho we are all adults now and live apart, we still do get in touch until 2009...........b4 den I was very very close to my immediate younger sis, she was my friend, my sister, my confidant, infact other friends usually wondered abt the closeness btw us, we were never apart, her friends were mine and mine were hers. We cd not do without speaking with one another for a day. even after we both got married, every opportunity we had, we try to spend time together, our husbands even wondered at our closeness, it was so superb, i loved her to pieces, but what happened?

In 2009, we had a very big fight and it separated us ever since, Not dat we never had fights and missunderstandings, we did and it was always resolved amicably btw us. This one was just so bad, I felt betrayed and back stabbed by her....(long story). We settled it somehow, but everything changed btw us, now we hardly talk evn on phone. Birthdays and festive periods pass by without an 'hello sis'...... lipsrsealed I've forgiven her of course, but i guess its better to be just a sibling and apart!

My take on this, : I learnt a big lesson, never get too close to any of ur siblings, let dem remain siblings, and not ur friends or confidante.

thinking back i remember i friend of mine warned me abt my closeness with my sis, that it was not always good to make ur sis ur best friend and confidant, but i waived it off. When what happened btw my sis I happened, i remembered that advice. grin
I feel bad for you, cus am also very close with my younger brother and would hate to see if we ever fell out this way! Nonetheless I think your marriages are also part of the reason you stayed apart after fighting, you both had new bestfriends and confidants. All the same blood is blood, I think you should make a concious effort to restore the friendship at least to some level. Wish u d best how ever it plays out!
P.S we wouldn't mind hearing the long story oh!
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Buchika: 8:57pm On Apr 10, 2012
mostly after the siblings has married that s when the falling apart begins cos someone who is not part of them is among them.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 10, 2012
ah nlders una 2 like story. Nwani oma dear, tnx so much..... yeah we've settled everythg now. we just cant b friends anymo....its just so clear to both of us dt it can neva b like b4. not even close to anythg we were... we go on for months, even yrs, we dont talk or see. she even makes it worse by avoiding d usual family visits, if she gets to knw im visiting, she'd stay away..... i jst ignore her and dont bother my head thinking abt her new attitude. diz yrs have bn better off for me wtout her honestly.

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Ejisz: 10:05pm On Apr 10, 2012
slimyem: i've been hearing frequent tales on this issue between siblings and its been making me wonder how it all starts.
I love my siblings to pieces and i'm sure they feel the same way towards me so i can't really magine why anyone would hate theirs so much they do neither see nor talk.
Some even turn their lives into competitions with their brothers/sisters.
A friend once narrated to me how her immediate elder sister treated her while they were staying together and how the sister stylishly threw her out of the house for no real reason asides petty issues.now that she's even married and her elder sister is not,they are sworn enemies!
Two of my aunt (sisters) and at war now-for petty reasons!
One of my friends doesnt know ANYTHING about his brother and they dont ever call each other for no reason!
Why oh why!
ask d devil.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by maryini(f): 10:08pm On Apr 10, 2012
dynamite2012:

This is NOT true. I am the oldest boy and my younger sister (the oldest girl) and I are not close. She thinks we are mates because there is only one year and a few months between us and that I am our parents' favorite. To be honest, I am only the favorite because in addition to being the oldest son, I am nice, generous, jovial and very openly loving towards them. My sister is quiet, loves to keep malice and is very stingy. I am the type of guy that can give all my life savings to my parents if they need it but my sister is the type of person who can't buy $10 pant for my Mum without agonizing (of course, like all stingy people, she loves receiving expensive gifts). We just have very different natures and it's too bad that her nature is not the most lovable one.

To be honest, I am tired of her already. I want to love her but it's just so damn hard to love this girl, especially when she won't respect me as her older brother. Thank God that we are both pretty successful. I don't need her and she doesn't need me. These days, I pretty much just leave her alone. The only thing I am waiting for is for her to find a husband so I can stop feeling responsible for her. I am just tired of faking closeness because of blood ties. I wouldn't even be talking to her at all if not for the love and devotion I have for my parents. It's the sad but true reality and at this point, only God can intervene to reverse the situation.

Your description of your sister seems like what my elder sister could say about me...except I think and strongly hope I am not stingy (I also agonise over every penny I have to spend).

Favoritism should not be an excuse for sibling rivalry. You can choose to ignore it. Like in my case, my elder sis receives more money from our parents than I do cause she spends money quickly. I don't get angry because I don't need it. It has not caused any problem between us.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Quads: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2012
It did and it is still making. Do you have the full lyrics of the song?

Here's the lyrics and truly it has such a beautiful meaning. I cried anytime we sang it back then and fast forward ten years later, i'm crying as i type this..

FECA ANTHEM

Here and now, in our time
We remember our God
Who made us and loved us
And gave us Christ His son
So we come in the love
Of the one who made us free
To stand in one accord
To redeem the desolation
Of our land and generation
As we walk with the lord

We shall rise and shine as the light
We shall lift the weary hands up
That hangs down
We shall raise the feeble knees that stoop to fall
As we call upon the lord
What he tells us we will do
And we shall keep the vision burning
As we walk with the lord

In the days of our youth
We remember our God
Who gave us this nation
And the blessing we receive
So we give Him our lives
And the worship he deserves
We move in one accord
In his holiness and power
To redeem our generation
Till he comes again
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by vicoloni(m): 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2012
I feel so very sad reading all the posts on this topic cos i see a bit of what am going thru with my elder brother in almost every poster's story. The more advise i read, the more confused i become. Well, lets see how it goes. perhaps time will sort out the knotty issues. perhaps.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:34pm On Apr 10, 2012
ronkebp: it depends on the foundation the parents have laid down in the house.

I almost supported dis 100% but its not only d case. I think human nature, betrayal of trust and so on is responsible.

Just like my mum and younger sister. D woman just envy sotey she go find fault and quarrel with my mum over everything. And the elder ones fear her that they can't put her in order.

Like wen I discovered my younger sis always gossip about me, I almost cut her off and she is also very rude. Though we aint best of buddies cos of her rudeness, d love is still dere.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by dynamite2012: 4:26am On Apr 11, 2012
maryini:

Your description of your sister seems like what my elder sister could say about me...except I think and strongly hope I am not stingy (I also agonise over every penny I have to spend).

Favoritism should not be an excuse for sibling rivalry. You can choose to ignore it. Like in my case, my elder sis receives more money from our parents than I do cause she spends money quickly. I don't get angry because I don't need it. It has not caused any problem between us.

I am glad to read that you and your sister are fine. This post was a true God-send. I had been feeling badly about my relationship with my sister lately. I am beginning to see things from her perspective: she's just wired differently and I can imagine that she feels a bit left-out and unloved. I'll do a better job of being nice to her going forward. To be honest, I would hate for us to have a bad relationship. Despite her minor flaws, she's a great girl and a pride to the whole family. I just need to stop getting angry anytime she disrespects me and stop reporting her to my parents. Hopefully, God will heal our relationship.

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Nickydrake(m): 10:13am On Apr 11, 2012
GboyegaD:

It did and it is still making. Do you have the full lyrics of the song?

Someone's posted it here already. ^^
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by kizias: 10:43am On Apr 11, 2012
Its just envy. Am a victim as am writind. My eldest don't show me any luv instead he go about tanishing my image everywere. He belive am working in a multinational and should spend all my resources on him and his family. We are really in a CRAZY world.i

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:19am On Apr 11, 2012
I come from a home where extended family stopped existing over 20years ago. Not that they are dead, but just stopped.
As you read this now, I do not know the whereabouts of any of my cousins, neices or nephews. Uncles and Aunties are a phrase lost on me as I call strangers with absolutely no blood relations of any kind uncle & aunty. Now this is on both sides of the fence (maternal and Paternal). . . I have tried now that I am older to figure out what went wrong and the truth is that on popsies side, its sheer evil hatred, on mumsies side, its jealousy and sibling rivalry gone wild.

NOW!! I have 4 younger siblings and I have made it my mission to make sure that we remain family!! We would always be able to smile, fight and reconcile without holding on. . I have come to realize that someone has got to be willing to give in for peace to happen. I almost lost it as a child when I hated my sister (younger) because my parents were always comparing the both of us. She was a bariny student, I had to struggle to pass.

I have been through too many failures and downs to know that family is all you've got. I had a chat with a woman who was in an abusive relationship and she said to me that because she had fallen out with her siblings, and her marriage wasnt sanctioned by her parents because he was of a certain tribe which they didnt approve of, when the abuse started, there was no one to confide in. . It wasnt until she was beaten within an inch of death that she summed up the courage to call her brother whom she hadnt spoken too for ages to let him know where to find her corpse did the healing process begin.

On the causes of disunity amongst siblings, the factors can be attributed to the following;

1. PARENTAL: Many parents plant the seed of discord amongst their kids without realizing it. An example would be when I was growing up as a kid. One term back then (Primary school), My dad said should any of us come first in class, we would get a bicycle. . . Now I put in my best effort that term, so much that my result fell within the first 10 in a class of over 35 pupils. My sister ofcourse came first. My daddy disregarded the fact that my result was a VERY significant improvement and bought her the bicycle and didnt get me any. It even went on to the point where if I did something wrong, I would get the asswhooping of my life, but should my sister do the exact same thing, they probably blame me for influencing her and flog me for it. Things like this could mess a child up for life. And most times, the blame is put on the sibling and some form of animousity starts to build.

2. PERSONALITY: As we each differ from one another in facil characteristics, finger print and DNA, so do siblings. SOme are cool headed, some are troublesome, some egotictical, e.t.c. Now depending on the differences, most siblings would just grow up to not get along especially if this had been occuring since childhood. My dad had brothers who were just crazy to the point that they burnt his school books because he was too book smart. They sold his lands because they could do it and get away with it. . One brother called the police on him out of anger with a fabricated story. They even went as far as fetishly trying to kill him. SO this is one of those personality issues made worse by poverty.

3. To be continued

2 Likes

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:42am On Apr 11, 2012
Continuation. . .

3. PEER INFLUENCE: Many people grow up to become more attached to their friends at the expense of family. This atimes is borne out of poverty or the need to be accepted by their peers. Most times its not a concious decision but it just so happens that the person is always there for their friend than they are for family. . . .

4. INDEPENDENCE: This happens mostly to siblings from poor homes and abusive homes. Poor homes. . This occurs for example when a child grows up to get a good job and starts supporting their younger ones. Most times, especially when the pressure of work, coupled with the pressures of the responsibilities to their siblings become overwhelming. This could lead to a break that most times leave the dependent sibling eternally angry with the other as they always feel betrayed. In cases of abusive homes, I know a case where a girl grew up in a home with overly strict parents who for some reason were harder on her than they were on her other siblings who for once never came to her rescue. . This went on till he point when she found her way out the door and never looked back.

5. THE "STEP" EFFECT: Simply put, step mother/step-siblings. . This is one reason why I am against "stepping" as 95% of the time, it always leads to sibling rivalry. I remember a case were a girl was thrown out at night in the middle of winter in the U.S with no place to go to, no money and the nearest relative over 8hours away by air. . . . That singular act broke the camels back that she dosent even talk to her step-brother who she confesses was very close to her when they were kids.

WATCH OUT FOR PART 3

2 Likes

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by knowledge4(m): 12:04pm On Apr 11, 2012
Clash of interests!
its not only happening in polygamous settings though worse there.
A front-line Nigerian lawyer died years ago.
Had a monogamous marriage with 4 or 5 kids,all lawyers.
Yet they are in court over their father's Will.
Their dad couldn't have made any mistake in the Will.
Yet his sons could not agree to abide by the wishes of their dad.
Clash of interests!

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by 30secs(m): 12:26pm On Apr 11, 2012
Human nature I guess
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by minute(f): 1:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
Very useful and up one.There is much truth to the facts parents can fuel sibling rivalry

by being partial to one child over another . . . each child is unique and their temperaments vary

However, each one still needs to be loved and encouraged! It is the responsibility of the

parents to help each child feel secure . . .

2 Likes

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by tpia5: 2:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
in africa, most parents raised with the african mindset dont see favouritism as wrong.

so, its really not much use complaining about such things, imo.

besides, maybe it was necessary back in those days before or during colonization.

the influence of globalization and emigration have exposed people to a lot of different cultures and also empowered others who according to tradition, would not ordinarily be so.

eg in the olden days, talking back to someone older than you, was considered rudeness of the highest order and the infraction was likely punished.

but i think as people grow older, they are forced to confront what would otherwise not have mattered, or what would usually have been swept under the carpet or ignored. Acknowledging these feelings/situations may lead to bitterness, anger and alienation especially if the parties involved refuse to forgive.

oyibos/westerners typically handle these things by going to therapy [i'm just beginning to understand all that now] but in nigeria we dont have so much of a therapy culture yet.

i think the best thing is just to pray for those who despitefully use you- forget the right or wrong of the matter involved because there'll always be aggravation no matter what.

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by slimyem: 1:31am On Apr 13, 2012
Okija_juju: Continuation. . .

3. PEER INFLUENCE: Many people grow up to become more attached to their friends at the expense of family. This atimes is borne out of poverty or the need to be accepted by their peers. Most times its not a concious decision but it just so happens that the person is always there for their friend than they are for family. . . .

4. INDEPENDENCE: This happens mostly to siblings from poor homes and abusive homes. Poor homes. . This occurs for example when a child grows up to get a good job and starts supporting their younger ones. Most times, especially when the pressure of work, coupled with the pressures of the responsibilities to their siblings become overwhelming. This could lead to a break that most times leave the dependent sibling eternally angry with the other as they always feel betrayed. In cases of abusive homes, I know a case where a girl grew up in a home with overly strict parents who for some reason were harder on her than they were on her other siblings who for once never came to her rescue. . This went on till he point when she found her way out the door and never looked back.

5. THE "STEP" EFFECT: Simply put, step mother/step-siblings. . This is one reason why I am against "stepping" as 95% of the time, it always leads to sibling rivalry. I remember a case were a girl was thrown out at night in the middle of winter in the U.S with no place to go to, no money and the nearest relative over 8hours away by air. . . . That singular act broke the camels back that she dosent even talk to her step-brother who she confesses was very close to her when they were kids.

WATCH OUT FOR PART 3
....really enlightening and interesting stuff you have up here!
....still waiting for part three...
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by maryini(f): 12:55am On Apr 14, 2012
dynamite2012:

I am glad to read that you and your sister are fine. This post was a true God-send. I had been feeling badly about my relationship with my sister lately. I am beginning to see things from her perspective: she's just wired differently and I can imagine that she feels a bit left-out and unloved. I'll do a better job of being nice to her going forward. To be honest, I would hate for us to have a bad relationship. Despite her minor flaws, she's a great girl and a pride to the whole family. I just need to stop getting angry anytime she disrespects me and stop reporting her to my parents. Hopefully, God will heal our relationship.

LOL....you report her to your parents. That is what my sister does to me. And she says I disrespect her..I seriously don't understand why she says that because I have younger siblings and they talk back to me and I never see it as disrespect because they have the right to say what they are feeling. Moreover, I dont think people should be entitled to respect just because they where born first - something they have no control or made any contribution to. Respect should be earned. Please explain how you see it because I have tried to no sucess to see things from her own point of view.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by dynamite2012: 5:56am On Apr 14, 2012
maryini:

LOL....you report her to your parents. That is what my sister does to me. And she says I disrespect her..I seriously don't understand why she says that because I have younger siblings and they talk back to me and I never see it as disrespect because they have the right to say what they are feeling. Moreover, I dont think people should be entitled to respect just because they where born first - something they have no control or made any contribution to. Respect should be earned. Please explain how you see it because I have tried to no sucess to see things from her own point of view.

Your question is a complicated but important one. I'll try to do it as much justice as I can. In most Nigerian cultures, being first born is not just a biological accident, it comes with cultural expectations and duties. First born children are raised to be surrogate parents from very young; parents and society at large expect them to look out for their younger ones and take responsibility for them in small but important ways.

However, you can't feel responsible for a sibling that doesn't respect you. You can't be a big brother or big sister to a sibling that doesn't recognize you as one. When a younger sibling disrespects the first born, it strains the implicit bond forged by a sense of responsibility and it forces first borns to either break that bond or try to re-establish that respect. It's not surprising the first born typically turns to the parents, the ones who have implicitly made first born children responsible for their younger ones, to restore the relationship/respect.

I want my sister to respect me because I am her big brother and I am ultimately responsible for her. If she can't respect me, then I will simply start regarding her just like I regard my extended family. She is a full independent adult now and she doesn't need me to be her daddy. However, if she still expects me to play "big brother" when she needs it, then she needs to respect me! If she's too big now to respect me, then she needs to just leave me alone jeje, no be by force.

2 Likes

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Africaine(f): 10:16am On Apr 14, 2012
This thing is complicated. For example,take me and sister,
My mum has just two of us and she has refused to intervene, I go looking for her all the time,I call her more than she does me,I have never complained that she recipocate as such,even wats more annoying is the fact anytime she manages to come find me,the husband wud start pursuing her wit phonecalls on her leaving soon,even that I ignore all for peace sake,if my sister is ill or something,and I dnt follow up to know hw she is she will take offence,but if reverse was the case,I wud be calmmthe one that broke the camels back was when something really bad happened to me,where I lost all my property,and had to move and restart life again wit my family,I called her and told her and what was her response,she said she won't come and find me bcus I havnt been to her house since she relocated,that one put me off totally,and that was it for me. We havnt spoken dis year and we are in d same city,I dnt care,thankfully we both married and we both have kids,so let evrybody face their corner.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by lepasharon(f): 8:40pm On Apr 14, 2012
dynamite2012:

Your question is a complicated but important one. I'll try to do it as much justice as I can. In most Nigerian cultures, being first born is not just a biological accident, it comes with cultural expectations and duties. First born children are raised to be surrogate parents from very young; parents and society at large expect them to look out for their younger ones and take responsibility for them in small but important ways.

However, you can't feel responsible for a sibling that doesn't respect you. You can't be a big brother or big sister to a sibling that doesn't recognize you as one. When a younger sibling disrespects the first born, it strains the implicit bond forged by a sense of responsibility and it forces first borns to either break that bond or try to re-establish that respect. It's not surprising the first born typically turns to the parents, the ones who have implicitly made first born children responsible for their younger ones, to restore the relationship/respect.

I want my sister to respect me because I am her big brother and I am ultimately responsible for her. If she can't respect me, then I will simply start regarding her just like I regard my extended family. She is a full independent adult now and she doesn't need me to be her daddy. However, if she still expects me to play "big brother" when she needs it, then she needs to respect me! If she's too big now to respect me, then she needs to just leave me alone jeje, no be by force.

Spot on
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by maryini(f): 1:06pm On Apr 15, 2012
dynamite2012:

I have been very much enlightened. Muchas gracias wink
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Seggii: 10:35am On Apr 16, 2012
Parent(s) sometimes are the cause of these problems among their children. Imaging parent telling lies against her own child, report elder to the junior one, not happy when you are trying to help others of your siblings. I must say that It's very sad when parent(s) themselves are the one pulling loving, united and concerned siblings apart. May God Almighty help our parent(s).

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by hollas2jnr(m): 10:00am On Apr 20, 2012
Reference: Poor parenting.

Poor parenting i say as well because quite a number of parents are not 'really' ready but end up being married, either due to pressure (from parent or peer), or simply feels i'm matured enough and can't stand attending a younger one's wedding while still single. Most who got married under these circumstances end up either totally neglecting the their kids or parent them in a very poor manner (be it favoritism amongst them, competitive environment, bad mentality, low self esteem, anger , hatred... name it).

If our psychology toward marriage can change, i feel relationship/bonds between siblings will be better and stronger.

1 Like

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Claracuzio: 6:31pm On May 07, 2012
Stupid topic!
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On May 07, 2012
Hmm Interestinf topic
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by Bugzy29(f): 10:56am On Aug 04, 2015
lepasharon:

Spot on
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by chronique(m): 3:33pm On Aug 04, 2015
Well,I think sometimes,these things just happen and there's nothing we can do about it. I love my siblings very much and would do anything to protect them. But lately,things have changed between me and my baby sister and I don't see us getting close again. It happened when I tried to correct and instill some form of discipline into her,last month. For so long,she's had this habit of staying out late at night and coming home quite late(sometimes around almost 12midnight) and was fond of blaming it on traffic. I kept reminding her that my younger brother who leaves the house 5am to work on the island,still manages to get home by 9pm or 10pm and that there's no tenable excuse why she who doesn't work,should be coming home that late. Even with the volatile and tensed situation of the country in the build-up to the last elections,she'd still come home late. This time,she blamed it on her job she recently took up on the island. Later-on,she quit the job but would still come home late. At times,she'd sleep over at her bf's place for some days. She had become so unruly that she wouldn't even tell you she's not coming home that night,until you start calling her phone to ask where she is,and she'd now say she's not coming home. I had gotten tired of scolding her and worrying over her safety and I told her not to ever repeat it again. But like the stubborn and unruly human she has developed into,she did again. What was more annoying this time,was that she got to the gate around 11:30pm or to 12,and was calling me to come open a gate that had already been bolted. I was already sleeping. I refused to answer her. Then she called my mum amd my elder sister and they started using phone to disturb with calls to go open for her. I promised them that anything that makes me open the gate for her,I was going to beat her... Eventually,I opened for her and beat her with belt and since that day,we became enemies. She didn't greet me for about a week after then and whe she eventually greeted,she murmured the greeting. If fact,the next day after I beat her,she went to stay with the bf(I guess) for a week. By the time she came back home,she started cooking separate food from whatever I cook and was just behaving stupidly and erratic. This is a child I carried as a baby,washed napkins for,dropped off at daycare and would go pick up from the daycare. I felt rerribly insulted and embarrassed at her attitude. My dad had complained about how she was misbehaving when she had to stay with my half brother while she was still in school but whenever I asked her what happened,she would say the story in a different way and because I know my dad exergerates when He reports an event,I always felt she was the tone telling the truth. But now that I know how irresponsible she has turned out to be,it hurts badly. All I wanted to do was to help correct and mould her into a responsible person but she felt otherwise. I have since then promised not to ever correct her again on her irresponsible behaviour. I had to swear to my mum and sisters that they should call me a bastard if I ever attempt to correct her again. To sweep the house we live in,is a problem. She won't even lift a hand to wash the bathroom we both use,or clean the kitchen tiles. With the way she has behaved so far,I don't see how I'd allow my kids go spend holidays with her kids in future cos I wouldn't want the discipline and manners I'd instill into my kids,to be corrupted by kids of someone who basically refused to be corrected while growing up. The person I'm talking about here,is a 24 yeas old child. She's just unfortunate to have shown me this part of her that I never knew existed.

In all,we can never tell when siblings would part ways and stop being close. I and my immediate elder sister fought physically all through our growing up years,but today,we are very close.

2 Likes

Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by hok4u(f): 5:17pm On Aug 04, 2015
Blackteeth:
Well, am currently having issues with my younger sister now. Not about greed or envy. But she always bad mouth me behind my back. Thats the genesis of the whole rift.
Re: How & Why Do Siblings Fall Apart? by freecocoa(f): 7:37pm On Aug 04, 2015
chronique:
Well,I think sometimes,these things just happen and there's nothing we can do about it. I love my siblings very much and would do anything to protect them. But lately,things have changed between me and my baby sister and I don't see us getting close again. It happened when I tried to correct and instill some form of discipline into her,last month. For so long,she's had this habit of staying out late at night and coming home quite late(sometimes around almost 12midnight) and was fond of blaming it on traffic. I kept reminding her that my younger brother who leaves the house 5am to work on the island,still manages to get home by 9pm or 10pm and that there's no tenable excuse why she who doesn't work,should be coming home that late. Even with the volatile and tensed situation of the country in the build-up to the last elections,she'd still come home late. This time,she blamed it on her job she recently took up on the island. Later-on,she quit the job but would still come home late. At times,she'd sleep over at her bf's place for some days. She had become so unruly that she wouldn't even tell you she's not coming home that night,until you start calling her phone to ask where she is,and she'd now say she's not coming home. I had gotten tired of scolding her and worrying over her safety and I told her not to ever repeat it again. But like the stubborn and unruly human she has developed into,she did again. What was more annoying this time,was that she got to the gate around 11:30pm or to 12,and was calling me to come open a gate that had already been bolted. I was already sleeping. I refused to answer her. Then she called my mum amd my elder sister and they started using phone to disturb with calls to go open for her. I promised them that anything that makes me open the gate for her,I was going to beat her... Eventually,I opened for her and beat her with belt and since that day,we became enemies. She didn't greet me for about a week after then and whe she eventually greeted,she murmured the greeting. If fact,the next day after I beat her,she went to stay with the bf(I guess) for a week. By the time she came back home,she started cooking separate food from whatever I cook and was just behaving stupidly and erratic. This is a child I carried as a baby,washed napkins for,dropped off at daycare and would go pick up from the daycare. I felt rerribly insulted and embarrassed at her attitude. My dad had complained about how she was misbehaving when she had to stay with my half brother while she was still in school but whenever I asked her what happened,she would say the story in a different way and because I know my dad exergerates when He reports an event,I always felt she was the tone telling the truth. But now that I know how irresponsible she has turned out to be,it hurts badly. All I wanted to do was to help correct and mould her into a responsible person but she felt otherwise. I have since then promised not to ever correct her again on her irresponsible behaviour. I had to swear to my mum and sisters that they should call me a bastard if I ever attempt to correct her again. To sweep the house we live in,is a problem. She won't even lift a hand to wash the bathroom we both use,or clean the kitchen tiles. With the way she has behaved so far,I don't see how I'd allow my kids go spend holidays with her kids in future cos I wouldn't want the discipline and manners I'd instill into my kids,to be corrupted by kids of someone who basically refused to be corrected while growing up. The person I'm talking about here,is a 24 yeas old child. She's just unfortunate to have shown me this part of her that I never knew existed.

In all,we can never tell when siblings would part ways and stop being close. I and my immediate elder sister fought physically all through our growing up years,but today,we are very close.
Oh my days! A 24 years old child? Dude you are the problem, like wtf?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are The Effects Of A Married Cheating Edo Woman On The Husband / I Eventually Got My Mum A Car Gift On Valentine's Day / "My daughter can speak 3 international languages" Nigerian Dad praise daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.