Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! (1022 Views)

Jonatthan Response To Buhari's Disparaging Remark On Nigerian's Abroad / First Week In Opposition: PDP Struggles With The Challenge Of New Status! / Nigerian Abroad Who Disgraced Compatriots (1): The Story Of Olu As A Case Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! by lazinc(m): 9:10pm On Apr 13, 2012
Struggles of a Nigerian Abroad
Right now, I am writing this from a four bedroom shared apartment in a little town called York, working a part time night shift of 5 till 9 as a telesales advisor, with no savings to my name and talking to the most beautiful girl in the world (my girlfriend). Nevertheless on paper (my curriculum Vitae) I have a diploma in Social administration and development, a bachelor’s degree in Sociology, a Masters in Public Administration/Public Policy Analysis and at the moment working on a professional Qualification.

The picture I have just painted is the reality which over 50 per cent of Nigerians in the UK face. Realistically speaking, my last statement might be seen as a complete generalisation, due to the lack of factual evidence in backing my report. However I won’t bore you on the details of collating factual statistics and how the Nigerian foreign affairs ministry should be able to provide this statistics (Which I have painstakingly searched for and just hit a dead end).So permit me to give my answer based on hearsay and my experience from the United Kingdom.

I recently graduated from one of the top ten schools in the UK and for the last one year I have been trying to secure a full time graduate role (I might as well be lazy and blame it on the recession). I was lucky to secure a job as a part time telesales advisor (bottom of the labour market). In order words I am a telesales agent with a master’s degree in politics and public management, don’t forget I am currently working towards my professional qualification and still applying for the graduate roles before my visa expires in less than 12 months. O I forgot to tell you the only way I can renew my Visa is if I secure a full time Graduate role.

On the other hand, if I was in Nigeria (this I also am basing on hearsay). I would most likely be working at the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service or as a junior staff in a bank earning less than 150000 a month. You might think it is a lot but wait till you deduct housing, food, and transport thus leaving me with nothing. Although it is said “there is no place like home”, and “Nigeria is where the money is at”. Yes those statements are true if you have a parent working in the Presidency or as they say “if you have leg”. Well I don’t have leg so I am taking a stance with the people who live on less than nothing a day, the medical doctor who works as a marketer, the engineer working as a lesson teacher and all the people who came out for the Occupy Nigeria protest. To be honest I believe Home is being slowly transformed into hell by the few at the helms of power.

I have given you a glimpse into my life and thought process, guess I will leave you with one of my aspirations and goals in life, which is to get as much experience, awareness and know how on my career path, no matter how much I have to suffer. And then come back to Nigeria to make a difference. This I have promised myself and my country Nigeria. So I leave you with the task of answering the question based on the little glimpse I have given you, into my life. Do you think young people studying/working abroad outside Nigeria face more or less challenges?

http://ramblingsofanigerianabroad..co.uk/2012/04/struggles-of-nigerian-abroad.html?spref=fb
Re: Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! by antartica(m): 9:26pm On Apr 13, 2012
It is like having a real football pitch but playing a table soccer.It is like our part of the world is not evolving and we that are suppose to make it evolve seems perplexed,not knowing what to do.
Re: Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! by Kobojunkie: 9:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
The story is not the typical picture of life abroad for Nigerian. I think this is a time to be creative and flexible. Nothing wrong with hanging on to a telesales job in the meantime.
Re: Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! by Ilekokonit: 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2012
Gone were the 60's and early 70's when the likes of Wole Soyinka went back from the UK after his studies straight into a lecturing job at UI or when Gani Fawehinmi could go back to Nigeria from the UK penniless but armed with his law degree in the knowledge that his education would be respected and not be sneered at. Fast forward 40 years to the Nigeria of today and only the very brave radicals will go back to Nigeria with a PHD but no money. Today's Nigeria is so materialistic that your friends, family and Nosy neighbours will frustrate such a returnee by ridiculing his education that is not backed by a fat wallet. They will rather hail a rich area boy than the returnee who has a PHD but is not rich even though the returnee is not asking them for a penny.

Even though busy bodies in Nigeria will not let you rest if you go back to Naija without a loaded pocket, ON THE LONG RUN Naija is still the best place to utilise your education and climb the career ladder as a black man.

This assumes that you are below 40 and have the thick skin to ignore snide comments from Nigerians. After all the biggest deliverance is the deliverance from other peoples opinion.
Re: Struggles Of A Nigerian Abroad! by Callotti: 12:20am On Apr 14, 2012
Please, they people are not complaining. If life was that bad, they would have gone back to Nigeria.
ANY Western hell-hole is better than a Nigerian one. cool
I am a believer!
You have failed. . . Go back and LOOT like your fellow criminals! kiss

(1) (Reply)

How Ibori Is Making Millions From Prison / Buhari’s Use Of Dogs And Baboons Is Idiomatic – CPC Spokesperson / Let Us Beg Boko Haram! Ciroma, Yayale, Modibo, Waziri, Others Beg Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.