Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:22 PM

FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot (12442 Views)

Presidency Denies Placing Tinubu Under Security Watch / Tinubu Under Security Watch Over Alleged Plot Against Buhari / Atiku, Baraje, Others Under Security Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by shadrach77: 12:49am On Apr 14, 2012
Alleged secession plot
FG puts Aregbesola on security watch
•Allegation is PDP’s plot to destabilize South West — ACN
By Ade Alade
Saturday April 14, 2012

Osun State governor, Engr Rauf Aregbesola
Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section

The Federal Government has mobilized virtually all security agencies in the country to put Osun State governor, Engr Rauf Aregbesola on 24-hour surveillance over an intelligence report generated by the Department of State Security (DSS) which accused the governor of creating an army of Islamic jihadists as a prelude to seceding from the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

A highly placed security source in Abuja told Saturday Sun that the decision to place the governor under intense security watch has become necessary following a detailed security report on him, a copy of which was obtained by Saturday Sun.
The security report, which the Federal Government is acting on, has, however, been condemned by Governor Aregbesola’s political party, Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN). In a statement on Wednesday, the party described the security report as a plot by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to destabilize the South West ahead of the 2015 general elections.

Not ready to take chances over the information provided by the DSS on the activities of the governor, the Federal Government through the office of the National Security Adviser, Gen. Andrew Azazi was said to have directed all members of the Joint Intelligence Board (JIB) comprising all security, intelligence and law enforcement agencies in the country, to deploy their machinery and watch the governor round the clock.

“There is no need to be sentimental about the issue, the word secession is enough for the Federal Government to have moved in but in a democracy, federal might has to be deployed with caution to avoid a total collapse of the entire democratic structure. This is why the first option of mounting a thorough surveillance around him (Aregbesola) is being adopted,” a red neck security source explained.

Trouble started when the Director General of DSS, Mr. Ekpeyong Ita compiled a security report on the Osun governor, accusing him of trying to create a Boko Haram in Osun State through an Islamic organization called Jama’atu Ta’awunil Muslimeen Society of Nigeria (TAWUN).
A copy of the security report addressed to the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. O.A Ihejirika and dated March 19, 2012, stated that “there are indications that Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State is nursing the ambition of islamizing the state. Already, he has taken control of the Jama’atu Ta’awunil Muslimeen Society of Nigeria (TA’AWUN) spearheading the use of hijab in all public schools in the state. The group founded in 1994 at Iwo by one Dawood IMRAN-MOLAASAN(Sheikh), has also spread its tentacles to Kwara, Lagos, Sokoto and Kaduna states”
The reported further stated that presently, “members of the group serve as bodyguards to the governor and are making frantic efforts to dislodge conventional security operatives from the Government House. Their unprofessional conduct is a source of embarrassment to well-meaning indigenes of the state, especially at public functions attended by the governor.”

In pursuit of the agenda, the report alleged that “the state government is planning to introduce a general uniform for all primary and secondary schools in the state that will be acceptable to the group, not minding the feelings of the Christian population. The governor has also changed the name of the state from ‘Osun State’ to ‘The State of Osun’ which is at variance with the provisions of the Nigerian Constitution.”
Other concerns raised by the report include the following:

That “the Nigerian Coat of Arms has been removed from government offices and replaced with the Coat of Arms of “The State of Osun.” The State anthem has equally replaced the Nigerian National Anthem at schools, state public functions and at the opening and closing of transmission of the State radio and television stations. The governor also deploys members of Osun Youth Empowerment Scheme (OYES) and O’clean Corps as State Police.”
That “through his activities, the governor has polarized the state along religious divides, with Muslims boasting that it is their time which they must utilize to the fullest. His involvement in the activities of TA’AWUN has emboldened the sect to invade schools to enforce the wearing of hijab by female Muslim students.”
The report expressed deep concern that the introduction of an Islamic agenda “in a secular state is an invitation to chaos, particularly against the backdrop of the growing influence of the sect in the state’s polity,” adding that “some northern governors fraternized with members of Boko Haram before they graduated to the present status.”

Concluding, the report said it is “necessary that the attention of the governor be drawn to the implications of his excesses on the security of the state. More importantly, his secessionist tendencies should be checkmated, using necessary legal and Constitutional instruments.”
Several calls made on Friday to the GSM telephone number of spokesperson of DSS, Maryln Ogar was not picked, and neither was a text message sent to her to seek the Service’s reaction on the security report, replied.

But the ACN, which apparently had got wind of the report, raised the alarm on Wednesday, describing the entire security report as a plot to set the South West on fire and soften the ground for the ruling PDP ahead of the 2015 general elections.
The party, in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said Osun State is being targeted in the pilot scheme of this act of desperation by the PDP, which is hell bent on causing chaos in the region.

“The architects of this plot believe that unless the PDP destabilizes the South-west and gets rid of the man they see as an implacable foe of the party (PDP), the President’s putative plan to run for re-election in 2015 will be in jeopardy, especially as they are afraid – for reasons best known to them – that the President will not get the backing of the North-West and the North-East in his quest for re-election.

“The first step in the dastardly plot is the fabrication of an intelligence report alleging that Gov. Aregbesola is nursing a secessionist plan; that he now plays Osun’s anthem in place of the national anthem; that he has since dispensed with the services of the SSS operatives attached to him and replaced them with Islamic extremists called ‘Tawun’; that he has officially changed the uniforms of secondary schools in Osun, made the wearing of hijab compulsory for female students and enforces that through Islamic militants, and that he has sent militants for revolutionary training in Cuba.

“The cooked intelligence report concluded that all legal and constitutional means must be used to stop him. Reading between lines, the measures being advocated in the report could only be impeachment (this is impossible considering the clean sweep of the PDP’s footsteps in the state), creation of chaos and anarchy to pave the way for the imposition of a state of emergency in the state, or the final solution, which is physical elimination,” it said.
ACN said it listed physical elimination because of the inexplicable disappearing acts of some security agents attached to the governor in recent times, and the growing suspicious activity of some security agencies in the state.
The party, therefore, warned the plotters to desist from any act that will further threaten the tenuous peace and security in the country, while reminding them to learn from history.

”There is no iota of truth in the allegations detailed in the so-called intelligence report engineered by the PDP. No SSS operative has been sent packing and the governor neither has the intention nor possess the authority to do so; no private militia is being trained anywhere except in the warped minds of the PDP desperadoes; and no uniform change or hijab-wearing law has been passed in the state.

”We hope that the plotters remember that since the First Republic, all attempts to destabilize the South-west have ended with dire consequences for the nation. Also, such acts have always been motivated by the desperation to win federal elections. The ACN will, therefore, like to put the PDP and its collaborators on notice that it (ACN) will guard its mandate in Osun and other states jealously against political hawks. The so-called intelligence report should be shredded and packed in a dustbin where it belongs, because it is nothing but the PDP master-plan to destabilize Osun State in particular and the South-west region in general.
”We also warn the security and intelligence agencies to be independent and not to allow themselves to be used for political gains. They should put national interest above partisan or sectional interest, and remember that the PDP is not synonymous with the Nigerian nation. It is just a bull in china shop that will soon be ejected by the peoples’ votes,” the party said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/apr/14/national-14-04-2011-03.html
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Beaf: 12:53am On Apr 14, 2012
The man should tell us whose flags servants have been carrying before him at all meetings and whose national anthem he has been playing.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by jason123: 12:59am On Apr 14, 2012
Sun Newspaper? ROMFL!

*Until I see it on Vanguard or Punch*

1 Like

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Beaf: 1:44am On Apr 14, 2012
Deep down, I think Aregbesola has only been caught out by his foolish politics. Osun doesn't have the resource base to secede.

The man has foolishly been going round with tawun carring unknown flags before him, not just that, but playing an unknown anthem in place of the Nigerian one; even at official functions that demand decorum and gravity. I have been saying that the man is mad, but it might be something else.

1 Like

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 14, 2012
Wow, Aregbesola must really be a thorn on GEJ's backside.

So Aregbesola can be put on security watch but then all of GEJ's "chop make I chop" ministers and corrupt politician/ ex-politicians can walk about free men.

GEJ is simply afraid of how the SW can injure him come 2015. However, he's making it too easy.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Musiwa49: 2:00am On Apr 14, 2012
I laugh when i read this. How can osun state secede out of Nigeria. I laugh so bad, that tear fall from my eyes. Can osun state secede out of Nigeria. osun state is a state inside the western niger.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Kilode1: 2:14am On Apr 14, 2012
Nigeria and all these para-military phrases sha. Security Report?

So when are we going to arrest or prosecute those heads of Ministries,, Departments and Agencies (MDA's) we have "security reports" on ?

I mean those ones that were accused of bribing legislators to inflate budgets?

Na that one interest me pass. I am waiting.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Beaf: 2:16am On Apr 14, 2012
Musiwa,,:
I laugh when i read this. How can osun state secede out of Nigeria. I laugh so bad, that tear fall from my eyes. Can osun state secede out of Nigeria. osun state is a state inside the western niger.

All hail Aare Musiwa I! Alaye baba o!
You are correct jare! Osun is inside the Western Niger, how can they secede without the satellite pictures?
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Ejine(m): 2:24am On Apr 14, 2012
I wonder how Osun plans to secede without the appropriate satellite pictures to help them locate the Electricity Engineers in the Church of Canada.

1 Like

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by koruji(m): 4:29am On Apr 14, 2012
Isn't it crazy?

The real problem is that the PDP FG is antagonistic to the progressive moves of Aregbesola. However, they are in control of the national security apparatus. No doubt GEJ and his agencies were using these powers to unduly further the cause of PDP in Osun State, and Aregbesola probably shut it down - AS HE SHOULD!!!

Hence they are fuming in the mouth - they can go eat live 700KV wire for all I care.

Ejiné: I wonder how Osun plans to secede without the appropriate satellite pictures to help them locate the Electricity Engineers in the Church of Canada.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Beaf: 5:12am On Apr 14, 2012
koruji: Isn't it crazy?

The real problem is that the PDP FG is antagonistic to [size=18pt]the progressive moves of Aregbesola[/size]. However, they are in control of the national security apparatus. No doubt GEJ and his agencies were using these powers to unduly further the cause of PDP in Osun State, and Aregbesola probably shut it down - AS HE SHOULD!!!

Hence they are fuming in the mouth - they can go eat live 700KV wire for all I care.

[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss75/LadySandee/HystericallyLaughingmanandboy.gif#laughing%20person%20gif%20animation[/img]
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by joeyfire(m): 7:21am On Apr 14, 2012
If aregbesola really has replaced the national anthem, allows his goons to invade schools to enforce wearing of the hijab etc the man should be watched very closely. Partiisan politics aside that looks like conduct befitting of serious attention and investigation.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by strangerf: 8:16am On Apr 14, 2012
24 hour surveillance on someone, albeit a nutjob, trying to secede.

Yeye FG, Yeye report, Yeye Aregbesola. This is too funny!
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Yeske2(m): 8:28am On Apr 14, 2012
Musiwa,,:
I just wonder o Aare, how can Osun secede without western Niger, Edo and Delta to Benin rep. without the satellite pictures, Why?
Why?
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by olapluto(m): 8:33am On Apr 14, 2012
This should be in the joke section! Awon arindin Abuja!

1 Like

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by PointB: 8:53am On Apr 14, 2012
I couldn't care less if Osun state secedes and Aregbesola becomes the President. But my concern lies in the allegations of intention to export militants and terrorists to other part of the country! For crying out loud has he not learnt a thing or two about how Boko Haram came to be? What is wrong with Aregbe?

Why waste public fund promoting religious intolerance when Osun state is begging for infrastructures? Na wa for this guyman!

1 Like

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by olapluto(m): 8:58am On Apr 14, 2012
PointB: I couldn't care less if Osun state secedes and Aregbesola becomes the President. But my concern lies in the allegations of intention to export militants and terrorists to other part of the country! For crying out loud has he not learnt a thing or two about how Boko Haram came to be? What is wrong with Aregbe?

Why waste public fund promoting religious intolerance when Osun state is begging for infrastructures? Na wa for this guyman!
This news is the other way round. For sometime now, some overzealous teachers in secondary schools have been trying to cause religious tension by sending home students wearing ijab. This was never the case before, especially in Iwo, a notable Muslim town. The elders are jawjawing on the issue, and the governor so far has distanced himself from the case to prevent allegations like this.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by PointB: 9:10am On Apr 14, 2012
^^^^
Apparently distancing himself from it is not near enough. The governor should put his foot down or ask for help if he is unable to curtail religious excesses. Like borno state, Osun state will be the first 'beneficiary' of any religious crisis! A stitch in time saves nine.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by chino11(m): 9:20am On Apr 14, 2012
This is another clueless, clownish yoreoba rulers doing what he knows best.

My niece was post to Oshun state for nycs she confessed that the cluelessness of the govt in the state, I had to work it to get her relocation immediately. It is a state that is breeding ground for boko harams. cool

As for me secession of yorubaland will ever be the best thing that will happen to Nigeria and GEJ knows this. I think we should drink to this. grin
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by erniok(m): 10:01am On Apr 14, 2012
I think if what FG alleges is true after investigation by the opposition party, then ACN should stop this their ostrich like behaviour and call the gov to order. We are not yet done with BH as a nation and another one is creeping out in the SW
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by ziccoit: 10:06am On Apr 14, 2012
GEJ is a disgrace to the entire citizen of this country. How did he blindfold people to get to that position is unexplainable. The guy doesn't act and when he does create a serious blunder of all time. What the fuc.k
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:27am On Apr 14, 2012
The FACT is Aregbesola's Political activities can be rightly construed as an Imminent Security Risk - until he is caught red-handed with a MAP of GEJ's bedroom and Patience's Makeup Kit.. only then can he be arrested and charcoal-broiled over a slow fire with a carrot stuck in his ar5se grin
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by gulfer: 10:30am On Apr 14, 2012
Secede to where and become what? Whomever came up with the report should be jailed for leading the government (GEJ) astray. Even before his election we know him to tend towards Islamic fundamentalism even in the way he dresses etc; so where was the clearance to contest report then by the State Security Service (SSS)?
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by kinguwem: 10:34am On Apr 14, 2012
A stitch in time saves nine. The governor has committed treasonable felony. He is a religious fanatic and probable sponsor of terrorist acts. A state of emergency should be declared in Osun State. Delays may result in loss of lives and property.

2 Likes

Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Callotti: 10:41am On Apr 14, 2012
Really?
And the governors of Northern states are not underwatch for failing to mobilize terror cells like Boko Haram?
This FG as symbolized by GEJ is really a strange bird!
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 14, 2012
Aregbesola is an embarrassment to himself, his family, and to Nigeria and humanity in general. How this lunatic managed to get to government house would remain a mystery. How can a sitting governor openly declare to another sitting governor (Olusegun Mimiko) that he is "committed" to his removal in the next election? Where is his decorum, where is his tact? Where is his decency and diplomacy? I spit on him and everything he represents. He is an extremly gross, filthy, and unkempt animal (physically, mentally and spiritually). He is obviously mad and overwhelmed by his position. Such a waste.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 14, 2012
kinguwem: A stitch in time saves nine. The governor has committed treasonable felony. He is a religious fanatic and probable sponsor of terrorist acts. A state of emergency should be declared in Osun State. Delays may result in loss of lives and property.

Imbeci'le. . . .which lives and properties are you talking about ? Yours ?
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 14, 2012
Callotti: Really?
And the governors of Northern states are not underwatch for failing to mobilize terror cells like Boko Haram?

A pdp governor sponsoring boko haram is not a terrorist because he wines and dines with jonathan.see hypocrisy of the ruling party .
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by erniok(m): 10:51am On Apr 14, 2012
Callotti: Really?
what exactly are you saying;because it happened in the northern region, we shouldn't nip it in the bud when it crops up in the west. Smh
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by gidiMonsta(m): 11:06am On Apr 14, 2012
This report is a joke and a big embarrassment to d FG. If its truly a valid 'security report', how on earth did a paper like daily sun get a hold of it?
This is just another plot by GEJ and his goons to distract us from what's really important.

For Gods sakes TAWUN has been around since like forever and its nt a sect, its a religious gathering. Very soon GEJ will accuse Fashola of grooming BH in Lagos because he attends NASFAT.
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by Callotti: 11:07am On Apr 14, 2012
erniok:
what exactly are you saying;because it happened in the northern region, we shouldn't nip it in the bud when it crops up in the west. Smh

No. I think the North poses a greater threat. The FG should curtail that area first. No need acting like the EFCC. . .going after small fish while sharks are on the lose. Are there bombings in Osun State?
Re: FG Puts Aregbesola Under Security Watch Over Alleged Secession Plot by gbadeboy2: 11:12am On Apr 14, 2012
If truly he replaces the national anthem with another anthem and they make a compulsory recitation of it,that means putting him on a watch list is even being lax

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan'll Declare A Marshal Plan To Rebuild North East When Re-elected- Mu’azu / Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting, Offers One Minute Silence For Mama Taraba / Bandits Currently Operating Along Zungeru-kontogora Road - Eyewitness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.