Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

$500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri (14886 Views)

Onitsha Shopping Mall Commissioned By Obiano - Photos / Bua Group Builds $500m Cement Plant At Okpella / Africa's Largest ICT Mall To Be Built In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:11am On Apr 14, 2012
Governor Rochas Okorocha’s recent foreign business trips appear to have started yielding fruits with an agreement by a consortium of global shopping chain that include South Africa’s Shoprite, US’ Wallmart and Topright Ventures Limited, in which Annie Okonkwo is a major stakeholder.

Okonkwo said in Owerri on Wednesday that an ultra- modern shopping mall worth $500 million would be built in Owerri, the now emerging effervescent capital of the state.

According to Okonkwo, the new shopping mall will be built by a consortium led by Topright Ventures and in partnership with Shoprite, Wallmart and other notable global supermarket chains.

He stated that the project becomes feasible owing to the conducive environment and infrastructural development which Governor Okorocha’s ‘Rescue Mission’ administration has provided for investment flow into the state.

“Governor Okorocha is massively building roads, hospitals and schools that have obviously made the state attractive for foreign investors,” said Okonkwo.

He stated that it was for what Okorocha has done, that “we are going to build a shopping mall in Imo State; and this will be about a $500 million investment.”

According to the senator, the investors have been all reached.

“In fact, many firms in big shopping mall business have shown interest, because Imo State governor is leading the way in providing the amenities and infrastructure to enable others, mostly those in the private sector contribute in developing the state,” said Okonkwo.

“The shopping mall will be built by a group of companies led by Topright Ventures with other partners like the Wallmart of USA, Shoprite of South Africa and other world supermarket big chains,” Okonkwo explained.

Shoprite recently announced a $10 billion Africa expansion, with Nigeria being one of the countries to witness the organic growth.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shopping%20mall%20in%20owerri&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CD0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessdayonline.com%2FNG%2Findex.php%2Fnews%2F111-politics%2F35912-shoprite-to-storm-owerri-with-500m-investment&ei=LcyIT7TpNsGf0QX4-K2-CQ&usg=AFQjCNHxSIh5_yEjy5Y_CEeywsqcaqXNnw

Now this is exactly what i'm talking about: high networth Igbo Sons and Daughters thinking of Alaigbo first, b/4 going to develop other places, and attracting foreign Investors as well. Owelle Rochas dynamic leadership in Imo would have played no small part in attracting investors attention to Imo State.

Nice one smiley.

2 Likes

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by aljharem(m): 2:12am On Apr 14, 2012
not bad

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:15am On Apr 14, 2012
As always, i'll be 100% happy when we see renders and contracts are signed. Lets just say i'm cautiously optimistic for now.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:06am On Apr 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft7_4nd0ypc

A Youtube clip of Owerri. I think what it needs is a few cosmetic touches and trimmings here and there, and then it would be near pefect. It needs investors and tourists as well to help open up the place. But i like the open spaces, greenery and cleanliness of the place. It's got a laid-back feel to it.

Ndi-Imo have a lot to thank Sam Mbakwe for. smiley
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by GboyegaD(m): 4:19am On Apr 14, 2012
I actually think the amount is hyped somehow. Does she know $500million translates to N75billion? Anyways, I hope they build a massive shopping mall in Owerri as this would help create more jobs.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PointB: 12:09pm On Apr 14, 2012
I'll wait and see.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by pistol: 12:27pm On Apr 14, 2012
That will b very fantastic.
It will make owerri a hub in the eastern and south south region of nigeria coupled with her tourism potential.
Owelle,i dub my cap 4 u.
ACTION GOVERNOR.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:44pm On Apr 14, 2012
GboyegaD: I actually think the amount is hyped somehow. Does she know $500million translates to N75billion? Anyways, I hope they build a massive shopping mall in Owerri as this would help create more jobs.

^^^I see your point Gboyega, but bear in mind that it's a consortium that's pooling these funds together.

Also todays shopping malls are more than just a place to shop: they serve as a converging/meeting point within a city; a place where families/friends can have a day out to shop or watch a movie in the latest Cineplex/3D viewing centre; a place to site restaurants/fast food chains; and a place for massive employemnt.

Shopping malls of today -as much as Airports do- make a statement of intent as to how a city wants to be perceived by visitors and competitors alike. And they serve as a catalyst for improved economic/commercial activity since they encourage spending. smiley

3 Likes

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:04pm On Apr 14, 2012
We need to see this project actualized and we will, becos Rochas bu okwu eme. cool

1 Like

Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Dede1(m): 4:47pm On Apr 14, 2012
These pipe dreams projects can not be actualized without functional international airport and deep water seaport situated within the south-eastern zone. Such projects require easy transportation hub as a link between a place such as Owerri and outside world such as USA, the home of Wal-Mart.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:50pm On Apr 14, 2012
^No reason why Rochas can't build terminal one of Owerri International Airport and a mere mall together, is there? I really do not want to believe that southeastern govs are all useless bunch.

Oguta produces a lot of oil. It makes sense to translate that wealth into infrastructure that will in the long run support the state government even after the oil age.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 4:56pm On Apr 14, 2012
I'm very happy whenever i read this kind of news. Development is indeed coming to the east. I'm even happy that Annie Okonkwo will be the major shareholder.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Dede1(m): 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: ^No reason why Rochas can't build terminal one of Owerri International Airport and a mere mall together, is there? I really do not want to believe that southeastern govs are all useless bunch.

Oguta produces a lot of oil. It makes sense to translate that wealth into infrastructure that will in the long run support the state government even after the oil age.

This is reason I am bent on the division of Nigeria so that progressives in their various corners can match forward as the engines that drive the economic growth within their respective countries. I hate it when south-easterns talk about factors that will engender faster economic growth then one dullard in Lagos or Abuja will sit on it because of tribalism.

Nigeria is a home of many tribes or ethnic groups who would not ordinarily want to live together if given the opportunity to go their separate ways. So if anybody thinks there is no iota of undue influence of tribalism on government policies in Nigeria, the person is an irredeemable mor0n. The issue of international airport and seaport are in the exclusive domain of federal government of Nigeria and only a blind person can honestly say south-eastern region is in cards of Nigerian government.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:37pm On Apr 14, 2012
^^That federal government is now in our backyard. Major ministerial positions under southeastern belt. All we need is our govs to take bold steps and the center will endorse.

Three international airport in the south east is really not too much, small Lagos is aspiring for two. Oguta lake should be a developed destination of choice for Nigerians, Africans and the world.

What serious infrastructures are south eastern govs clamoring for in a PPP Venture? I need our govs to wake up a seize the day or step down.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Onlytruth(m): 5:44pm On Apr 14, 2012
Dede1: These pipe dreams projects can not be actualized without functional international airport and deep water seaport situated within the south-eastern zone. Such projects require easy transportation hub as a link between a place such as Owerri and outside world such as USA, the home of Wal-Mart.

Great news!
My brother Dede1 I dont think this is a pipe dream project. Though I totally agree that we need an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT at Owerri to make it more possible.We can even do it with only a world class international airport because the ventures can cargo things in, they don't always have to ship them by sea. A lot of people dont understand the logistic demands of setting up international class ventures.
I am more confident that with a governor like Rochas, and wise/sane Igbo sons like Sen Annie Okonkwo, a lot of things are possible for Igboland. Yes we can! cool
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Dede1(m): 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: ^^That federal government is now in our backyard. Major ministerial positions under southeastern belt. All we need is our govs to take bold steps and the center will endorse.

Three international airport in the south east is really not too much, small Lagos is aspiring for two. Oguta lake should be a developed destination of choice for Nigerians, Africans and the world.

What serious infrastructures are south eastern govs clamoring for in a PPP Venture? I need our govs to wake up a seize the day or step down.

My sister, there are many things that can make south-eastern region a place to forget Dubai but we have among us in the region certain ethnic groups that are erroneously brainwashed to think about Igbo dominance only . These mor0ns had better politically backed a project meant for Gombe than the one meant for Abia.

Even when a person from the region as president of Nigeria, I wonder why he has not set in motion the idea to upgrade Port Harcourt international airport to certain standards seen in MMA and NAA. Does he not use the airport in Port Harcourt? I guess he has visited the airports in Lagos and Abuja. If any country wants to play a part in world’s economy, the country must provide more than three points of international air hub.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Onlytruth(m): 6:30pm On Apr 14, 2012
Dede1:

My sister, there are many things that can make south-eastern region a place to forget Dubai but we have among us in the region certain ethnic groups that are erroneously brainwashed to think about Igbo dominance only . These mor0ns had better politically backed a project meant for Gombe than the one meant for Abia.

Even when a person from the region as president of Nigeria, I wonder why he has not set in motion the idea to upgrade Port Harcourt international airport to certain standards seen in MMA and NAA. Does he not use the airport in Port Harcourt? I guess he has visited the airports in Lagos and Abuja. If any country wants to play a part in world’s economy, the country must provide more than three points of international air hub.

My broda I tire o.
Just my thoughts! That is why I won't support his continuing in office until he builds all these airports! hoohaa!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Dede1(m): 6:46pm On Apr 14, 2012
Onlytruth:

Great news!
My brother Dede1 I dont think this is a pipe dream project. Though I totally agree that we need an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT at Owerri to make it more possible.We can even do it with only a world class international airport because the ventures can cargo things in, they don't always have to ship them by sea. A lot of people dont understand the logistic demands of setting up international class ventures.
I am more confident that with a governor like Rochas, and wise/sane Igbo sons like Sen Annie Okonkwo, a lot of things are possible for Igboland. Yes we can! cool

Bros, people of south-eastern region need three major infrastructural networks or linkages to get the region acts as economic bulk-walk of Nigeria. I honestly think that on the political side, there are, at least, five progressive governors in the region, thus, Chime, Okorocha, Imoke, Akpabio and Amaechi that should work diligently hard and jointly to see the networks of roads that joined the States in the region are dual carriage ways. They must mount pressure on the federal government so that the deepwater seaport at Ibaka or Abaka is completed sooner and the Port Harcourt international airport is upgraded and given more land rights than two.

In addition, the Enugu International airport should be upgrade and another deepwater seaport at Opobo should be given serious consideration.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by manny4life(m): 2:20am On Apr 15, 2012
I'm def not against spending all this money but without transport infrastructures and network in place, this is a perfect waste of time and resources. Like I've identified before, what SE needs is a combination of the trio - An airport/Rail lines and seaport. Have these in place, and the est of the rest of the piece fits together. I'm glad we sorta share same ideology, these governors need to form a business consortium and pull resources together to achieve these projects if SE is to compete aggressively.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by ak47mann(m): 2:58am On Apr 15, 2012
welcome development cool cool
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Apr 15, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Governor Rochas Okorocha’s recent foreign business trips appear to have started yielding fruits with an agreement by a consortium of global shopping chain that include South Africa’s Shoprite, US’ Wallmart and Topright Ventures Limited, in which Annie Okonkwo is a major stakeholder.

Na so dem dey like to tell us. Hype us all up, only to reveal less at the end of the day.

Anyway sha, na private pockets the money dey come from, so no need to complain. Tinapa promised so much and cost us more than half a billion to build. But to this day, we still dey pay for that decision. So, as long as the money is not coming from government coffers, I am cool.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:22am On Apr 19, 2012
Imo State government has entered into partnership with an American company, Jesus Mary and Joseph Holdings Ltd. to build an estate with 500 units of houses that will be christened ‘Diaspora Village’.

Speaking during an interview with Journalists shortly after a meeting with Governor Rochas Okorocha at the Government House, Owerri recently, the Chief Executive Officer of the company, Mr. Timothy Barton said the 500 buildings will be of same quality and standard with the estates built in Texas, USA.

Mr. Barton explained that his company will commence the project with 200 units of houses and later extend to 500 units in its second phase. He hinted that the project would commence in October, adding that forms would be made available to prospective landlords who would be interested in purchasing the houses at a reduced cost upon completion of the project.

Mr. Barton maintained that the opportunity would further strengthen the bi-lateral relationship between Imo State government and Texas in the United States of America.

He however urged indigenes of Imo State in Diaspora to embrace this opportunity by visiting home and contributing to the ongoing development of the State.

On Timothy Barton, Chief Executive, JMJ Holdings:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=timothy%20barton&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jmjholdings.com%2Ftim.html&ei=LGWPT-H2DOTH0QWY7tXhAQ&usg=AFQjCNHXWMiXGb9ZFpBupkFhGlGGBYUyZA

I like how proactive Governor Okorocha is in attracting FDI's to Imo State.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Kobojunkie: 2:29am On Apr 19, 2012
Which one be Jesus Mary and Joseph Holdings Ltd. again ? Can anyone get this company's Tax ID so we can at least be sure it is a legit American company as claimed by the report above .. .
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:23am On Apr 19, 2012
^^^Hehehe grin. I wondered at the name myself. It sounds like some kind of exclamation, kinda like 'Jesus wept'. smiley
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by freshmoney(m): 9:51am On Apr 19, 2012
undecidedLet's wait and see.

Eko n'ile!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by emsquare(m): 9:51am On Apr 19, 2012
GboyegaD: I actually think the amount is hyped somehow. Does she know $500million translates to N75billion? Anyways, I hope they build a massive shopping mall in Owerri as this would help create more jobs.

Hopefully!
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by coolguy2002: 9:52am On Apr 19, 2012
nice to hear that we are progressing postively
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by FACE(m): 9:55am On Apr 19, 2012
Imo State government has entered into partnership with an American company, Jesus Mary and Joseph Holdings Ltd. to build an estate with 500 units of houses that will be christened ‘Diaspora Village’.

Speaking during an interview with Journalists shortly after a meeting with Governor Rochas Okorocha at the Government House, Owerri recently, the Chief Executive Officer of the company, Mr. Timothy Barton said the 500 buildings will be of same quality and standard with the estates built in Texas, USA.

Mr. Barton explained that his company will commence the project with 200 units of houses and later extend to 500 units in its second phase. He hinted that the project would commence in October, adding that forms would be made available to prospective landlords who would be interested in purchasing the houses at a reduced cost upon completion of the project.

Mr. Barton maintained that the opportunity would further strengthen the bi-lateral relationship between Imo State government and Texas in the United States of America.

He however urged indigenes of Imo State in Diaspora to embrace this opportunity by visiting home and contributing to the ongoing development of the State.

I think it's hightime we moved away from low density in occupancy buildings and estates in the SE in order to conserve and maximise the use of our lands.We need to maintain our open spaces and vegetations in order to remain eco friendly.

There are several low density estates already in Owerri like Aladinma, Prefab, Egbeada, Trans Egbu, World Bank areas A to N, works l/out etc. We need more of mid or high density areas like Ikenegbu and extension, so I am not very sure that 500 low density residential buildings would not amount underutilisation of land which might come back to bite us in future.

Good development in terms of FDI though.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Afam4eva(m): 9:59am On Apr 19, 2012
FACE: I think it's hightime we moved away from low density in occupancy buildings and estates in the SE in order to conserve and maximise the use of our lands.We need to maintain our open spaces and vegetations in order to remain eco friendly.

There are several low density estates already in Owerri like Aladinma, Prefab, Egbeada, Trans Egbu, World Bank areas A to N, works l/out etc. We need more of mid or high density areas like Ikenegbu and extension, so I am not very sure that 500 low density residential buildings would not amount underutilisation of land which might come back to bite us in future.

Good development in terms of FDI though.

You're right. That's what they're doing in Egypt. All residential houses are storey buildings. I think the south-east needs to start building high-rise building as opposed reserving land for every block of flat.
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by beatricewebb: 10:00am On Apr 19, 2012
What is the impact of this on economic needs?,are pple just doing things for them to be noticed or they are really looking into the incessant problem facing major nigerian?
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 19, 2012
okay now.. Lets go there...
Re: $500M Shopping Mall To Be Built In Owerri by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 19, 2012
Dede1:

This is reason I am bent on the division of Nigeria so that progressives in their various corners can match forward as the engines that drive the economic growth within their respective countries. I hate it when south-easterns talk about factors that will engender faster economic growth then one dullard in Lagos or Abuja will sit on it because of tribalism.

Nigeria is a home of many tribes or ethnic groups who would not ordinarily want to live together if given the opportunity to go their separate ways. So if anybody thinks there is no iota of undue influence of tribalism on government policies in Nigeria, the person is an irredeemable mor0n. The issue of international airport and seaport are in the exclusive domain of federal government of Nigeria and only a blind person can honestly say south-eastern region is in cards of Nigerian government.
yes o
*supported*
biafra say let my people go..
Odua go and have ur own republic...

My only fear is my south south with many tribes... Buh we can still live together and form a prosperous country.. Longlive republic of naijadelta

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Payment Of Royalty To Comandclem Patentees / The Difference Between Marketing And Advertising / How Can I Set Up Poly Bag Factory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.