Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,744 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) (23740 Views)

The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / What Part Of Igboland Are You From. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by dubem3(m): 11:58am On Apr 17, 2012
mafifle: Iwu nke nbu Ele kwala ada(daughter) onye nwe ulo(landlord) anya na ike.

m'ne kwanu ya anya gini g'eme?
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2012
Ninapha:

Nwannem, nka abughi omenala igbo. kama nwata adigh agoo oji ebe okenye no bu nke bu ezi okwu. O na abu okeye goocha oji, owerenye onye kacha nwata ka owa oji ma kee kwa ya bido n'ebe okeye no nyebe oji ma oburukwa na eze obodo anoghi ebeahu.

whenever kola is presented in igboland, it is the mandate of the oldest man to bless the kola and those that would eat the kola after which, he gives the kola to the youngest man to break and share it starting from the same oldest man except where there is a king (Eze) in their midst, the king is to be given kola even before the breaking of the kola.

Bros,in some part of Igboland "igo oji" and "iwa oji" could mean the same thing(to bless the kola) even though "iwa oji" mean to break. Thats the uniqueness of the Igbo language! Basicly I think we are saying the same thing but it seems like there is a part of my post which you dont agree with. I dont know if its the "Ozo" part.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by ChinenyeN(m): 3:02pm On Apr 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
Bros,in some part of Igboland "igo oji" and "iwa oji" could mean the same thing(to bless the kola) even though "iwa oji" mean to break. Thats the uniqueness of the Igbo language! Basicly I think we are saying the same thing but it seems like there is a part of my post which you dont agree with. I dont know if its the "Ozo" part.
Ninapha is making a distinction between invocation and breaking of kola, and rightly so. The two are distinct occurrences. That's why when Feraz earlier made the statement "nwata anaghi awa oji ebe okenye no", I had to ask which culture-group(s) have this rule, because I know my people don't.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by ChinenyeN(m): 3:08pm On Apr 17, 2012
Chitos: Anom na Umuekpe, Nthigha, Isiala Ngwa North Local Government. grin
Okay. I see. Thank you.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:48pm On Apr 17, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Ninapha is making a distinction between invocation and breaking of kola, and rightly so. The two are distinct occurrences. That's why when Feraz earlier made the statement "nwata anaghi awa oji ebe okenye no", I had to ask which culture-group(s) have this rule, because I know my people don't.

What you are saying in essence is that you can actually bless the kola BEFORE YOUR OWN ELDERS IN NGWA LAND ?
If this is true then your guess is as good as mine. . .
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by AndreUweh(m): 10:37pm On Apr 17, 2012
Enwela nmeko nwoke na nwanyi na ubi (ugbo).Sexual intercourse in the farmland is abominable. In AlaIgbo, farmland is regarded as sacred. It needs protection from defilement through sex in the farmland. This is taken as the most obvious and highly objectionable act of defilement. In the Igbo worldview, the defilement will invariably make for the infertility of the farmland because the God of fertility would be displeased. Ndigbo also believes that sexual intercourse in the farmland defiles womanhood.
To the non-Igbo in this thread, these belief may appear irrational to the modern mind, yet this belief have instrumental value in terms of PROPER AND ACCEPTABLE SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR AMONG NDIGBO.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by sd6: 8:23am On Apr 18, 2012
Biko unu zaa nu m ajuju m juru. O gini ka ana-akpo igbu ochu.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 18, 2012
ChinenyeN:

hi nwafo i sent u a msg on fb asking a question. Still expecting ur response, bruv.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by BigBenoski(m): 2:44pm On Apr 18, 2012
sd-6:
Biko unu zaa nu m ajuju m juru. O gini ka ana-akpo igbu ochu.
igbu ochu= 'murder' or even 'manslaughter'
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by odumchi: 10:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
BigBenoski: oh there chauvinism is well represented in their laws. Smh

Back then, the laws were set up to specifically protect and ensure the safety and freedom of the people of the Confederacy. This was mainly because the Aro way of life depended on the freedom and safety of the individual.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by AndreUweh(m): 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2012
The laws of Igboland are meant to serve a plurality of purposes, the most important being; (a) the protection of life and property; (b) the order, peace,, justice, good management, and effective administration of public affairs in an Igbo community.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by adaide1: 4:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
Iwa oji na igo oji bu ofu ihe. N'ezia, nwata adiro ago oji ma okenye nnoru
ka ma, okenye were ikike isi ya goo.

Ya kpatara, nwata na ago oji n'iru nna ya (elder) i ga nu ma okwu odiri okwu a "nna m, o gi nyerem oji, oku aguyere nwata n'iru nna ya ama ele ya" okwucha, ya ago-oji ahu.

nso ala:

N'Obodo m, anyi adi egbu Eke ogba(Phyton)ma obu mbe.
anyi adi a nu nwanyi n'afo ime (not practised so much anymore)
Adi echu mmiri n'abani
Umunna wee isi- ehi obula eji mee ihe
IN My House: eke okuko bu nna m wee (very unfortunate)
Ukwa bu onye hu o buru, eti o ka odi kwa udala (onwghi onye wee ukwa friut but nku belongs to owner of land)

Biko nu odikwa ka edemede m, owere ka si a sound

1 Like

Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by dubem3(m): 6:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
ada - ide:
Iwa oji na igo oji bu ofu ihe. N'ezia, nwata adiro ago oji ma okenye nnoru
ka ma, okenye were ikike isi ya goo.

Ya kpatara, nwata na ago oji n'iru nna ya (elder) i ga nu ma okwu odiri okwu a "nna m, o gi nyerem oji, oku aguyere nwata n'iru nna ya ama ele ya" okwucha, ya ago-oji ahu.

nso ala:

N'Obodo m, anyi adi egbu Eke ogba(Phyton)ma obu mbe.
anyi adi a nu nwanyi n'afo ime (not practised so much anymore)
Adi echu mmiri n'abani
Umunna wee isi- ehi obula eji mee ihe
IN My House: eke okuko bu nna m wee (very unfortunate)
Ukwa bu onye hu o buru, eti o ka odi kwa udala (onwghi onye wee ukwa friut but nku belongs to owner of land)

Biko nu odikwa ka edemede m, owere ka si a sound

Ada ide
obi mu gwara'm si na ibu onye njikoka.
ekwuru'm eziokwu?
meanwhile,eziokwu ka ikuru.
ndewo
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by odumchi: 6:48pm On Nov 21, 2012
Na Arochukwu, izu avia Nkwo wu izu ezumezu ike; ebe niile kwesiri idi jii. Anaa emeje oke nmenme na izu ohu maka onyenye na agagba avia. Aga a o di aga a, nwoke chupu nnye ya na izu Nkwo, o pusara na olulu wo enwee isi.

Ihe a wu iwu Aro. M risa odo m edee kwa

In Arochukwu, Nkwo market day is a day of rest and all of the atmosphere is supposed to be calm and quiet. There are also no major events held on Nkwo day since everyone is supposed to be at the market. Because of this, if a man throws his wife out of his house on Nkwo day, it signifies that their marriage has utterly failed.

If I remember more I'll share them.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by ifyalways(f): 6:03am On Nov 23, 2012
Okwa Nwoke buputere nwunye ya ite nmiri na ikwe ya ezi, ihe o ziri bu na o gbala ya alukwaghi m?

I think cuts across the whole Igbo land undecided
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by adaide1: 12:42pm On Nov 23, 2012
@ dubem, I dara ya. Abu onye Oraukwu ma burukwa onye Mbaukwu(Oka south)
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by adaide1: 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2012
odumchi: Na Arochukwu, izu avia Nkwo wu izu ezumezu ike; ebe niile kwesiri idi jii. Anaa emeje oke nmenme na izu ohu maka onyenye na agagba avia. Aga a o di aga a, nwoke chupu nnye ya na izu Nkwo, o pusara na olulu wo enwee isi.

Ihe a wu iwu Aro. M risa odo m edee kwa

In Arochukwu, Nkwo market day is a day of rest and all of the atmosphere is supposed to be calm and quiet. There are also no major events held on Nkwo day since everyone is supposed to be at the market. Because of this, if a man throws his wife out of his house on Nkwo day, it signifies that their marriage has utterly failed.

If I remember more I'll share them.

In our area, when a man collects back the bride price known as 'ngo' or the brides family returns the bride price, the divorce is complete.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by dubem3(m): 8:03am On Nov 24, 2012
ada - ide:
@ dubem, I dara ya. Abu onye Oraukwu ma burukwa onye Mbaukwu(Oka south)

Onwere ndi m'ma na nwere iwu'a na njikoka.
Onye ebe ka ibu na ora ukwu?
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by AndreUweh(m): 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
The most important aspect of our Igbo laws is the belief in the santity of life. Ndigbo believes that life belongs to God and no one should take it.
None of the laws in any part of Igboland stipulates death as a punitive measure if you offend the law (daa iwu obodo).

2 Likes

Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by tomakint: 12:21am On Dec 30, 2012
Andre Uweh: The most important aspect of our Igbo laws is the belief in the santity of life. Ndigbo believes that life belongs to God and no one should take it.
None of the laws in any part of Igboland stipulates death as a punitive measure if you offend the law (daa iwu obodo).
Wao this was a very rich thread and very informative too, good job Andre cool

3 Likes

Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by Ngbokwu: 10:23pm On Oct 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
why isnt their a law against christianity
Why should there be laws against christianity?.
Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by Meringe(m): 4:11pm On Oct 27, 2013
Na obodo m, anaghi akwa ozu na mgbochi orie. Anaghi alu nwanyi na mgbochi orie.

1 Like

Re: Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) by oboy3(m): 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
in THE olden days in my town if you are caught having sex with somebody related to you,both of you are made to walk to the market square NAKED
it is called 'ikpu alu'
we dont kill or eat python

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages / Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. / Kano Emirate: Low Activities In Sanusi’s Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.