Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers (6163 Views)

Important Questions Need To Be Asked / Vision Of Heaven And Hell: Few Questions that need answers. / RCCG Annual Fasting And Prayer February 2013 ( Prayer Guide) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by chux76(m): 2:42pm On Apr 16, 2012
I need tips on how to carry out effective fasting and prayers. What time period is best and what should one do/not do during the fasting periods.
Is 7days/14days prayer and fasting more effective than the 3days P&F?
Is it necessary to pray out loud during the session or would silent heart prayers be also effective?
If a fast is done 4rm 6am to 6pm,can one still have sex with one's girlfriend,or take alcohol after the fast period which is after 6pm?
Should one brush one's teeth during the fasting period taking into consideration that some water might seep into the throat while gargling?

These are just some of the questions I would like more light 2 b shed upon.
Thanks
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Joel3(m): 7:44pm On Apr 16, 2012
It Depends on what kind of fasting you need. For deliverance or you want God to give you something.

Firstly God is a Spirit, when u are coming to the Lord presence you need to come in as a spirit. Where the a Spirit stay this are the consinderation,

you ve to go a (wilderness) lonely place where only you can be.
Before 6:00 am take ur bath and brush ur teeth you ve to be clean. Read the verse continuesly and prayering with woship songs Seven days is okay for 6am to 3pm for 6day and the last day 6am to 6pm.

1 Like

Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by chux76(m): 5:45pm On Apr 18, 2012
I am embarking on this fasting specifically because I want something from God,and I cant go to any secluded place for the fasting so I have to do it where I am.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Joel3(m): 10:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
Yes u can do it at home. But try to be lonely no destraction, u ve to concentrate with the Holy Spirit. Believe hes there with u. But i tell u on the last day u need an anointed man of God to break the fasting even if its phone to phone prayer meet ur pastor.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by chux76(m): 2:04am On Apr 19, 2012
Tnx Joel...Ur advice has been really helpful.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by ojoyentalk: 4:58am On Apr 19, 2012
visit freedomyou.com.Fasting and prayer are good but remember wisdom is the principal thing.
More grace to ur efforts.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by bigd4050: 6:06am On Apr 19, 2012
There is no right answer to your question. It is completely a wisdom issue. Someone with no fat on their body might not want to fast longer than a week because they have nothing but muscle to draw for energy. Yet will this bring them closer to God because of their sacrifice? It is just a wisdom issue. If your heart motivation is to draw near to God, I think any amount of time, even a day, is beneficial and will help you grow.

As for the brushing your teeth thing, that is a wisdom issue too. I personally would, because even if some water does, its not like your trying to drink, it just happened. If it would wear too much on your conscience, then just brush your teeth with your head tilted down and don't gurgle.

Hope this helps!
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by loneytunes(m): 9:32am On Apr 19, 2012
chux76: I need tips on how to carry out effective fasting and prayers. What time period is best and what should one do/not do during the fasting periods.
Is 7days/14days prayer and fasting more effective than the 3days P&F?
Is it necessary to pray out loud during the session or would silent heart prayers be also effective?
If a fast is done 4rm 6am to 6pm,can one still have sex with one's girlfriend,or take alcohol after the fast period which is after 6pm?
Should one brush one's teeth during the fasting period taking into consideration that some water might seep into the throat while gargling?

These are just some of the questions I would like more light 2 b shed upon.
Thanks

Bro, one thing you must understand about God is that He does everything out of the abundance of His mercies (Romans 9:16). You must understand that its not your efforts that determine answers to prayers. Its God's mercies. He'll answer you in His mercies. (Ephesians 2:8-9.

With that understanding, approach God and believe that He'll grant you the desires of your heart in accordance with His will. Fast for as long as you have the grace to whether for 3, 7 or more days and whether till 3pm or 6pm. If you want to brush your teeth, do(of course you should if you're leaving the house). Your physical appearance should not show that you are fasting (Matthew 6:16-18). Even from the last scripture, you can see that fasting is strictly between you and God and its not a physical matter. The essence of going to a quiet place is that you may be able to pray with minimal distractions and also be able to concentrate very well on God.

I hope the explanation helps. Let me know if you need more clarifications. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by LogicMind: 11:04am On Apr 19, 2012
chux76: I am embarking on this fasting specifically because I want something from God,and I cant go to any secluded place for the fasting so I have to do it where I am.

what do you want from god?
there might be a faster, easier and less painful way of obtaining it than starving yourself.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by brainpulse: 1:52pm On Apr 19, 2012
Logicmind

Have you seen death before( because all things must be seen before i believe), feel death before, talked to death before, analysed death, empiricalized death.Why do you believe you will die? Is it because some people are dying?( then you must be crazy, death its not real). Do death tell people "he or she or it" is coming? What is the Age of death? Does he,she or it evolve? (because all things must evolve). What principle does death operates on? What is the temperature of death? where does he, she or it stays? what does he, she or it eat? Do he, she or it have a family? what is the population of death"s" ( because he, she or it can't be the only one during all the work)? Will death die? Who gave birth to death?

Pls every question must have an answer.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by LogicMind: 2:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
brainpulse: Logicmind

Have you seen death before( because all things must be seen before i believe), feel death before, talked to death before, analysed death, empiricalized death.Why do you believe you will die? Is it because some people are dying?( then you must be crazy, death its not real). Do death tell people "he or she or it" is coming? What is the Age of death? Does he,she or it evolve? (because all things must evolve). What principle does death operates on? What is the temperature of death? where does he, she or it stays? what does he, she or it eat? Do he, she or it have a family? what is the population of death"s" ( because he, she or it can't be the only one during all the work)? Will death die? Who gave birth to death?

Pls every question must have an answer.

......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by chux76(m): 2:46pm On Apr 19, 2012
Logic Mind:

what do you want from god?
there might be a faster, easier and less painful way of obtaining it than starving yourself.

I believe God should be given much respect and spelling His name with a small "g" is disrespectful. Now which other way do you think is easier if not by this self sacrifice of Fasting and Prayer?
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by LogicMind: 4:11pm On Apr 19, 2012
chux76:

I believe God should be given much respect and spelling His name with a small "g" is disrespectful. Now which other way do you think is easier if not by this self sacrifice of Fasting and Prayer?

depends on what exactly it is you want.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Ptolomeus(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2012
Fasting should be done in a secluded place in the countryside or desert (not a house) with a clean body, without any tool (telephone, car, etc)
and unclothed, for the duration of fasting.
Neither should any energy used for lighting, heating water, etc..
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by bigd4050: 5:38am On Apr 20, 2012
Ptolomeus: Fasting should be done in a secluded place in the countryside or desert (not a house) with a clean body, without any tool (telephone, car, etc)
and unclothed, for the duration of fasting.
Neither should any energy used for lighting, heating water, etc..

Where do you see Scripture for this? I'm not disagreeing necessarily but I've never heard some of these things before.

What if you don't live by a countryside or desert? What if you had a job, are you supposed to take off?

Why do you need a clean body? How do you keep your body clean if you can't wear clothes and your in a desert?

Why can't you use electricity?

What do these things have to do with not eating, which is what fasting is?
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 20, 2012
I will advise on whether you should pray out loud during a session.
My advice is this, you can pray out loud in a session if itz not going to disturb neighbours and praying out loud is recommended in the bible.
""And since John tha Baptist untill now the kingdom of God suffereth voilence and the violent taketh it by force" Math 11:12

Remind Blessed
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Joel3(m): 9:34am On Apr 20, 2012
Ok. I forget something. You must offer seed to God on the last day. Two seed no matter are litte they are. One for arms to the poor and the other to church building or ur paster. Since u are needing something from God then trust God first.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by Ptolomeus(m): 5:21pm On Apr 20, 2012
bigd4050:

Where do you see Scripture for this? I'm not disagreeing necessarily but I've never heard some of these things before.

What if you don't live by a countryside or desert? What if you had a job, are you supposed to take off?

Why do you need a clean body? How do you keep your body clean if you can't wear clothes and your in a desert?

Why can't you use electricity?

What do these things have to do with not eating, which is what fasting is?
You can agree or not with fasting. But if someone decides to do, you better get it right.
If you live in the city, try to time travel. Not applicable to fast in an apartment listening to pop music and watching tv plasma, or whirlpool.
I have read about offering seeds, and it's correct. At the end of fasting correspond offer a tithe in grain, but the same shall be burned. That is the traditional way of offering a tithe, not another.
Re: Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers by bigd4050: 6:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ptolomeus:
You can agree or not with fasting. But if someone decides to do, you better get it right.
If you live in the city, try to time travel. Not applicable to fast in an apartment listening to pop music and watching tv plasma, or whirlpool.
I have read about offering seeds, and it's correct. At the end of fasting correspond offer a tithe in grain, but the same shall be burned. That is the traditional way of offering a tithe, not another.

I certainly agree with fasting, its Biblical. I think your being extremely legalistic with your standards on fasting. I agree you should have an increased focus on God, but that doesn't mean you need to leave your home. Practice some self-control and just don't turn on your electronics for goodness sake.

You haven't answered my questions about keeping a clean body if you have no clothes and are in a desert. How do you keep your body clean then..especially if you can't use your own home to wash?

(1) (Reply)

Is Homosexuality Dangerous To Society? / Former CAN President Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor Divorces Wife After 25 Years / Death At The Mercy Of Life - The Reality Of The Resurrection Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.