Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Passing Business Object Between Dal And Bll - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Passing Business Object Between Dal And Bll (5354 Views)

A Beginners Guide To Object-oriented Programming (OOP) In PHP 5+ / Let's Learn Object Oriented PHP! / Criticism Of Object Oriented Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Passing Business Object Between Dal And Bll by SmartK1(m): 1:49pm On Nov 07, 2007
hi guys,
in the past i had to struggle to get my solution organized so that i would not have troubles of maintenance. I came across a lot of models and methods but I was not really fully satisfied. Hoever, I decided to go for separation of layers of my solution into projects namely, myweb(the site), BLL (Business Logic Layer) and DAL (Data Access Layer).

However, I ran into problem passing data between BLL and DAL because there are times i need to pass complex data and I wanted to avoid passing unreasonable no of parameters. For instance, say i want to update a student data that has 60 fields through DAL from BLL, i needed to pass the 60 parameters to DAL from BLL. I guess this is not a best practice. Note that I could not pass BLL objects to DAL as this will result in circular reference.

So, I introduced another layer to my solution called PRL (Presentation Layer). This layer forms the base layer for the BLL and DAL and contains the basic abstract classes that I would pass between DAL and BLL. As a matter of separation principle I made sure that PRL objects do not contain any methods. I make BLL objects inherit from these objects and therefor can pass BLL objects to DAL without hassles. finito.

Here are my sample codes

PRL (VB)
Public MustInherit Class Account
Private _accountNumber As String
Private _accountName As String
Private _balance As Double

Public Property AccountNumber() As String
Get
Return _accountNumber
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
_accountNumber = value
End Set
End Property
Public Property AccountName() As String
Get
Return _accountName
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
_accountName = value
End Set
End Property
Public Property Balance() As Double
Get
Return _balance
End Get
Set(ByVal value As Double)
_balance = value
End Set
End Property

End Class

DAL (VB)
Public Class InsertAccount
Public Function Update(ByVal account As Presenters.Account) As Boolean

'//call stored procedure or something and return success or otherwise
Return True

End Function

End Class

BLL (C#)
public class Account : Presenters.Account
{
public bool Update()
{
DAL.InsertAccount ia = new DAL.InsertAccount();
return ia.Update(this);
}
}

SampleSite (C#)
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
BLL.Account acct = new BLL.Account();
acct.AccountName = "Magaji";
acct.AccountNumber = "12346578";
acct.Balance = 123311123321;

if (acct.Update()) this.TextBox1.Text = "Updated";
else this.TextBox1.Text = "Failed";

}

Please, never mind about language mixing. I also use it to relay that .NET solution can contain more language.

Please enjoy.

Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

Career Opportunities In Nigeria With A Software Engineering Degree? / What PHP Framework Do You Consider As The Best / Thread For Nairaland Algorithm Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.