Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? (5714 Views)

Laptop Not Booting. Please I Need A Help / Brand New Laptop Not Charging / USB Ports On HP Laptop Not Detected After WinXP Reinstallation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 1:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ever since i started using Windows 7, the battery meter disappeared. Now i dont know % of battery life remaining till the system switches off. How do i bring the battery meter signal back?
Also i cant browse with my modem anymore since i reformatted the system. Help plz.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by adetwin(m): 3:32pm On Apr 20, 2012
Ur location? we come & fix it, For quick& lasting Solution Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. We are into all kinds of IT SUPPORT BB Pin: 07057140885/07082998588
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 4:27pm On Apr 20, 2012
adetwin: Ur location? we come & fix it, For quick& lasting Solution Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. We are into all kinds of IT SUPPORT BB Pin: 07057140885/07082998588
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by adetwin(m): 7:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
P. H. ! when will u leave close to South South we base in Lagos, I would av love 2 help fix it. Ok give me a call I solve it via phone
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 7:23pm On Apr 20, 2012
adetwin: Ur location? we come & fix it, For quick& lasting Solution Contact ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT. We are into all kinds of IT SUPPORT BB Pin: 07057140885/07082998588
@adetwin
Seriously, cant you like do anything for free? Must you want to cash in on even the most trivial of issues? angry
And I doubt you know the solution to his problem.

@timbros
What you need to do is simply enable the "System Icons Notifications" in the "Control Panel" or better still,

1. Simply right-click the taskbar
2. Select "Properties"
3. In the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button
4. Scroll to the "Power" row in the displayed list and change the drop-down option to "Show notifications and icon"

Click OK and close all open windows...Your battery icon should be back.

Buzz if it doesn't work.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 11:44pm On Apr 20, 2012
Maleeq:
@adetwin
Seriously, cant you like do anything for free? Must you want to cash in on even the most trivial of issues? angry
And I can doubt you know the solution to his problem.

@timbros
What you need to do is simply enable the "System Icons Notifications" in the "Control Panel" or better still,

1. Simply right-click the taskbar
2. Select "Properties"
3. In the "Notification Area" section, click the "Customize" button
4. Scroll to the "Power" row in the displayed list and change the drop-down option to "Show notifications and icon"

Click OK and close all open windows...Your battery icon should be back.

Buzz if it doesn't work.

Thanks a lot for ur help. I followed ur directions, got to the "power" row but it doesnt have a drop down option, its on "off" permanently. Wat do i do? Thanks again for ur help.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by femi4: 6:11am On Apr 21, 2012
timbros: Ever since i started using Windows 7, the battery meter disappeared. Now i dont know % of battery life remaining till the system switches off. How do i bring the battery meter signal back?
Also i cant browse with my modem anymore since i reformatted the system. Help plz.
I guess the formatting was not properly done, but before I conclude, Perform "Microsoft system restore" and let's see the result
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 5:02pm On Apr 21, 2012
timbros:

Thanks a lot for ur help. I followed ur directions, got to the "power" row but it doesnt have a drop down option, its on "off" permanently. Wat do i do? Thanks again for ur help.
That's the place. Click on the "Off", you should see the 2 options pop-up: Off & On. Select "On" (You should immediately see your battery icon on the taskbar.). Close the window by clicking "Ok".

(See screen shot in attachment below)

If your own screen is different (i.e some options are permanently grayed out), please post a screen shot here.

Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2012
femi4: I guess the formatting was not properly done, but before I conclude, Perform "Microsoft system restore" and let's see the result
Uhm, formatting a system doesn't "create a restore point". So there isn't anything to be restore. undecided
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by femi4: 8:59pm On Apr 21, 2012
Maleeq:
Uhm, formatting a system doesn't "create a restore point". So there isn't anything to be restore. undecided
You cant conclude, perhaps it was there for few moment after formatting before installing third party software. Moreover,I have other things in mind, remember he could not use his modem.....seems you dodged that aspect.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Rachelwang(f): 1:24am On Apr 22, 2012
i think your laptop have some problem,
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 9:39am On Apr 22, 2012
femi4: You cant conclude, perhaps it was there for few moment after formatting before installing third party software. Moreover,I have other things in mind, remember he could not use his modem.....seems you dodged that aspect.
Formatting a laptop doesn't create a restore point! You wipe/erase/take-out/delete the OS on a laptop, please tell me where the "Microsoft system restore" information would be?

Even though the OP never mentioned installing any 3rd party software, don't you think performing a system restore is too "drastic" for such a trivial issue? Just my 2cents!

And I didn't dodge the modem issue really...I didn't even see it all! grin I only read the first bits of his complaint and the thread's title.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by femi4: 1:38pm On Apr 22, 2012
Maleeq:
Formatting a laptop doesn't create a restore point! You wipe/erase/take-out/delete the OS on a laptop, please tell me where the "Microsoft system restore" information would be?

Even though the OP never mentioned installing any 3rd party software, don't you think performing a system restore is too "drastic" for such a trivial issue? Just my 2cents!

And I didn't dodge the modem issue really...I didn't even see it all! grin I only read the first bits of his complaint and the thread's title.
When given an online solutions, assumptions are allowed and you go beyond what the OP stated cos you don't have access to the system and this lecture on system restore is not neccessary cos I want to believe you could read very well when I said my solution was based on assumptions.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2012
femi4: When given an online solutions, assumptions are allowed and you go beyond what the OP stated cos you don't have access to the system and this lecture on system restore is not neccessary cos I want to believe you could read very well when I said my solution was based on assumptions.
ok.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:24pm On Apr 22, 2012
timbros:

untick the -- ALWAYS SHOW ALL ICONS & NOTIFICATION

its at bottom of screen after following the steps he mention

after unticking then changed it to ---- SHOW ICON & NOTIFICATION
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by adetwin(m): 9:07am On Apr 23, 2012
@maleeq Most user does nt know much abt troubleshooting. Then me saying I will come av nt requested 4 any money frm any one so Every thing In life is Not money, So watch ur fingers b4 Replying
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 10:10am On Apr 23, 2012
adetwin: @maleeq Most user does nt know much abt troubleshooting. Then me saying I will come av nt requested 4 any money frm any one so Every thing In life is Not money, So watch ur fingers b4 Replying
Ok, let me just quote your "trademark statement once more:

I can see it clearly written that ADETWIN IT CONCEPT ENT is a "charity organization".

Bros, chill...your 52 forum posts all are about marketing...Its no rocket science to know you do and will demand some sort of payment.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 11:26am On Apr 23, 2012
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sorry for the late reply, wasnt online lately. I'll try out the suggestions and give u guys an update. . .
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 11:31am On Apr 23, 2012
Maleeq:
That's the place. Click on the "Off", you should see the 2 options pop-up: Off & On. Select "On" (You should immediately see your battery icon on the taskbar.). Close the window by clicking "Ok".

(See screen shot in attachment below)

If your own screen is different (i.e some options are permanently grayed out), please post a screen shot here.
The "power" menu doesnt drop down, i.e it doesnt have a on/off option. Its "off" and unclickable unlike other menus in the list like clock, volume, network, action centre. . .all these have on and off except "power"
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 11:34am On Apr 23, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

untick the -- ALWAYS SHOW ALL ICONS & NOTIFICATION

its at bottom of screen after following the steps he mention

after unticking then changed it to ---- SHOW ICON & NOTIFICATION

I just did and yet, the "power" is still on off, thus the battery meter is still not showing. . .
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 1:48pm On Apr 23, 2012
timbros:
The "power" menu doesnt drop down, i.e it doesnt have a on/off option. Its "off" and unclickable unlike other menus in the list like clock, volume, network, action centre. . .all these have on and off except "power"
Alright. It seems your system isn't detecting a battery (probably the ACPI driver isn't installed or corrupt). A quick check:

1. Press the "Windows Key + R", this should bring up the run dialog.

2. In the run dialog, type "devmgmt.msc" and click OK. This brings up the device manager console

3. In the device manager, check that you have a "Batteries" item there.
- If it isn't listed, check if you have any entry under "Unknown Devices" entry. If yes, then we have to get your ACPI driver updated and hopefully not, your battery!

4. If in step #3, the battery is listed, then possibly a policy disabled it. Run the attached file, Enable_Power_Notification_Icon, then log off and log on, or restart the computer to fully apply. (If the icon is not showing now, repeat the previous step I gave. The power option shouldn't be grayed out now)

Cheers!

Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by adetwin(m): 2:07pm On Apr 23, 2012
@ maleeq I hear you bro
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 4:44pm On Apr 23, 2012
Maleeq:
Alright. It seems your system isn't detecting a battery (probably the ACPI driver isn't installed or corrupt). A quick check:

1. Press the "Windows Key + R", this should bring up the run dialog.

2. In the run dialog, type "devmgmt.msc" and click OK. This brings up the device manager console

3. In the device manager, check that you have a "Batteries" item there.
- If it isn't listed, check if you have any entry under "Unknown Devices" entry. If yes, then we have to get your ACPI driver updated and hopefully not, your battery!

4. If in step #3, the battery is listed, then possibly a policy disabled it. Run the attached file, Enable_Power_Notification_Icon, then log off and log on, or restart the computer to fully apply. (If the icon is not showing now, repeat the previous step I gave. The power option shouldn't be grayed out now)

Cheers!
I couldnt find Batteries but i saw "Other devices" wit a question mark icon and from it "unknown device" with a yellow triangle and black "!" sign inside. . . What now? Thanks
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 5:44pm On Apr 23, 2012
timbros:
I couldnt find Batteries but i saw "Other devices" wit a question mark icon and from it "unknown device" with a yellow triangle and black "!" sign inside. . . What now? Thanks
Alright...we making headway now. It is the ACPI driver. The default/generic one shipped with Windows7 doesn't suit your board. Give me your laptop details (Make and model). We would have to check the drivers up from the OEM website.
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2012
Maleeq:
Alright...we making headway now. It is the ACPI driver. The default/generic one shipped with Windows7 doesn't suit your board. Give me your laptop details (Make and model). We would have to check the drivers up from the OEM website.
Acer extensa 2300
Could it be why i cant use my modem too?
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 10:14am On Apr 24, 2012
timbros:
Acer extensa 2300
Could it be why i cant use my modem too?
I checked the OEM site but can't find any word that the Extensa 2300 is Win7 ready/certified. We'd have to work on a bit of "trial" now.

The drivers listed on the site are for Windows XP, however, in my experience (luck?) I have seen driver built for XP work still on Win7.

Download and install the [url=ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/extensa_3000/driver/chipset.zip]Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility[/url]

You may have to reboot your machine after the installation, and then go back to the device manager and ensure that the "other devices" entry is gone (and hopefully the batteries entry is there now)

As for the modem, are you making use of the on-board modem? or using a USB dongle?
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 2:49pm On Apr 24, 2012
Maleeq:
I checked the OEM site but can't find any word that the Extensa 2300 is Win7 ready/certified. We'd have to work on a bit of "trial" now.

The drivers listed on the site are for Windows XP, however, in my experience (luck?) I have seen driver built for XP work still on Win7.

Download and install the [url=ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/extensa_3000/driver/chipset.zip]Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility[/url]

You may have to reboot your machine after the installation, and then go back to the device manager and ensure that the "other devices" entry is gone (and hopefully the batteries entry is there now)

As for the modem, are you making use of the on-board modem? or using a USB dongle?

I use Multilinks 1x modem i.e USB stick.
And since i cant access internet, i cant download the software. . .
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by Maleeq(m): 3:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
timbros:

I use Multilinks 1x modem i.e USB stick.
And since i cant access internet, i cant download the software. . .
Hmmmm...you'd need access to the internet still. Perhaps you could download it from a different machine and transfer the file to yours?
Re: Laptop Not Displaying Battery Power Signal, Why? by timbros(m): 9:07am On Apr 25, 2012
alright

(1) (Reply)

Dell E7450 core i5 (135k) For sale.............reasonably neotiable / FRESH US USED HP X360 CORE i5 7TH GEN LAPTOP-SOLD / How To Convert Your Modem To Universal And Browse The Internet For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.