Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work (4525 Views)

I Caught My Best Man With My Wife Two Weeks To Our Wedding. / Don’t Marry A Man With These Characteristics / 7 Tips To Help Nigerian Men Understand, Date And Enjoy A Lady Above 30!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 3:34am On Apr 26, 2012
Hello all, I am new to this site and so far have found some threads to be very helpful.

So here it is. For the last two years I have been dating the most amazing Nigerian man (age 29). I am Mexican (Spanish and English speaking), Christian and 27 years old. I was born and raised in the U.S. My boyfriend was born in Nigeria and is Igbo. His family has strong roots in Christianity. He was raised all over the world, with most of his teen years and adult hood living in the states. He has grown siblings who also live in the states. Two of his siblings are married to Nigerian spouses. One of his siblings is dating an American bi-racial lady. My boyfriend's mother lives between Nigeria and the states. Sadly, his father has passed. I have met his siblings (and they have been nice and accepting), but not yet his mother. My boyfriend's mother believes he needs to be with a Nigerian, Igbo woman and feels very strongly about this. So much so that she and some of his other relatives have attempted and nearly succeeded at running my boyfriend's brother's bi-racial, non-Nigerian girlfriend away. Recently my boyfriend and I have made plans to spend our future together, not so much an engagement, but planning to move to another state together and move in together. He told his mother and family of these plans and it has been horrible. She does not approve and is very vocal to him about this, getting many relatives to call him and tell him how our relationship will not work, how I will not be accepted, how he needs to be with a Nigerian woman to fully be included in his family. His relatives go on to tell him that he will not be happy with me that he has to be with a Nigerian women because after all love feelings fade the "family" (meaning mother, siblings and extended family) is what will keep a couple together. My boyfriend's mother calls him and tells him "you need to break up with her, you have three days" and then will go weeks without talking to him because of me. My boyfriends siblings are passive about it, and some feel he should follow his heart and the other siblings feel he should follow their mother's word.

My boyfriend and I are so much in love. We have both never been in love like this. We have looked at all avenues, have cried over this and have thrown our hands up over our heads in defeat. He feels this may be a losing battle because if we continue on this path we will both be made miserable. He feels it could get so bad as to them showing up at our house and throwing me out. He has been told stories recently of his relatives shutting people out because they chose to marry outside of their culture and tribe. He doesn't want this for our future and feels he will be heartbroken when/if we stay together and I am constantly not accepted and made fun of and outcasted. He feels he cannot stand up to them, nor do I want him to have to choose sides. It feels we have hit a brick wall and I know he is ready to give up. We both WANT very much to be together and both LOVE each other and both can imagine a happy future together if his family would accept me and accept us together.

Is there anyone who has been through this? Anyone who relates and has a similar family structure? Anyone who has been with an American and got their family to accept their partner. We want so much to work and love one another whole heartedly. But it hurts to feel our future may be doomed.

I thought I could contact his mother and talk to her candidly. He does not feel this is a good idea. I want to respect her and Nigerian Igbo culture. I love this man so much and respect him and his family. I want to be with him and him with me. I am committed to learning and celebrating the culture, to visiting, to doing whatever we can. I just don't feel it's over or that we should give up.

I am so heartbroken over this and trying to figure out what the best thing to do is. We love each other so much. Family is very important to both of us and cutting anyone out is just not an option. Any honest open advice would be greatly appreciated. Things we can do together and things I can do to gain acceptance into this amazing culture and family...ideas please!

Thanks!!
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by Nobody: 4:51am On Apr 26, 2012
sadly, there is no way you can win this battle. either you get together and live a "miserable" life away and rejected by his family, or you guys break up and go on your merry way.i doubt waiting is going to change anything, you guys have to make a decision, and live with the consequences!

btw, this is bigger than your race, as this sort of discrimination happens very often in Nigeria........ between Igbos, Hausas and Yorubas, Christians and Muslims or Rich and poor.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 5:00am On Apr 26, 2012
MRbrownJAY: sadly, there is no way you can win this battle. either you get together and live a "miserable" life away and rejected by his family, or you guys break up and go on your merry way.i doubt waiting is going to change anything, you guys have to make a decision, and live with the consequences!

btw, this is bigger than your race, as this sort of discrimination happens very often in Nigeria........ between Igbos, Hausas and Yorubas, Christians and Muslims or Rich and poor.

Thank you for that input. Sadly, it is looking like those are our only options, although, we are still trying to find some way to convince them.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by Nobody: 5:17am On Apr 26, 2012
^^^ you should try, but if it doesnt work then you shouldnt waste time......and simply do whatever you have both chosen and start to be HAPPY and POSITIVE again. remember that if your man choses to be with you then he should do so wholeheartedly and not 50/50......... as it seems that HE is the weakest link. you best be sure about what he REALLY wants (not to SAY it to you but to SHOW you)

btw what about your family, how do they view this whole issue of interracial marriage?
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 5:30am On Apr 26, 2012
You are very right on that point. I know that if we are to move forward, I need to feel WE are the team fighting to be together. And I know we both need to be completely in.

I am a first generation American, both my parents immigrated to the states as adults so I have family spread out here and all over Mexico. My parents are generally okay with interracial marriage. Their main concerns lie in finding someone with similar values. My grandparents are a bit more with the thinking that you should marry someone with a similar background because that would be easiest. They believe that it is hard enough to be a person of color and that you should not make it more difficult by being in an interracial relationship. However, even they would never turn anyone away if they chose to marry or be with someone from a different race. My sister is with an African American guy and at first they asked her why she chose him, but now that she is committed to him they are accepting.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by drnoel: 5:26pm On Apr 26, 2012
liyah27:

Thank you for that input. Sadly, it is looking like those are our only options, although, we are still trying to find some way to convince them.

Look once the family is against it from the unset, it may be difficult to convince them. My brother also has the same problem and he cries to me every now and then about it and I'd give u the same advice I gave him. If ur guy makes u happy and u make him happy, then pls don't let any idiot (family) get in btw ur happiness. If u guys want 2 be together pls follow ur hearts and if u must, if the family is still against the relationship, then turn ur back on ur guys family. Just be happy with him, life is too short 2 let those kinds of stress mar it. His family may turn around much later, and if they don't then fine.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2012
Yea I wish we could follow our hearts, but is that really worth it if you have to sacrifice or give up family? Are there any things
That may help to convince them to accept us? Or is it just that we should be together alone away from them or not together at
all?
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by luckgames(m): 7:17pm On Apr 26, 2012
In few years your boyfriend mum will have a different story
cut your losses and move on
Let him go marry a Nigerian woman
I have seeing Nigerian women telling their son not to marry Nigerian woman
You will not have peace
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 12:39am On Apr 27, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^ you should try, but if it doesnt work then you shouldnt waste time......and simply do whatever you have both chosen and start to be HAPPY and POSITIVE again. remember that if your man choses to be with you then he should do so wholeheartedly and not 50/50......... as it seems that HE is the weakest link. you best be sure about what he REALLY wants (not to SAY it to you but to SHOW you)

btw what about your family, how do they view this whole issue of interracial marriage?

I agree with the weakest link part but what do we really expect a weak nigga to do? If he is so concerned with his family and how they perceived of her then he doesn't love her.

I also want to say that there is a big difference between lust and love. You can lust someone so much that it becomes delusionalized love that it isn't real.

If someone love you the way they should love you....THEY WILL SHOW IT not just say it and depend on their families to speak for their life.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand the dynamics and fundamentals of love. I also want to stress there is also a difference between conditional love and unconditional love.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 12:42am On Apr 27, 2012
liyah27: Hello all, I am new to this site and so far have found some threads to be very helpful.

So here it is. For the last two years I have been dating the most amazing Nigerian man (age 29). I am Mexican (Spanish and English speaking), Christian and 27 years old. I was born and raised in the U.S. My boyfriend was born in Nigeria and is Igbo. His family has strong roots in Christianity. He was raised all over the world, with most of his teen years and adult hood living in the states. He has grown siblings who also live in the states. Two of his siblings are married to Nigerian spouses. One of his siblings is dating an American bi-racial lady. My boyfriend's mother lives between Nigeria and the states. Sadly, his father has passed. I have met his siblings (and they have been nice and accepting), but not yet his mother. My boyfriend's mother believes he needs to be with a Nigerian, Igbo woman and feels very strongly about this. So much so that she and some of his other relatives have attempted and nearly succeeded at running my boyfriend's brother's bi-racial, non-Nigerian girlfriend away. Recently my boyfriend and I have made plans to spend our future together, not so much an engagement, but planning to move to another state together and move in together. He told his mother and family of these plans and it has been horrible. She does not approve and is very vocal to him about this, getting many relatives to call him and tell him how our relationship will not work, how I will not be accepted, how he needs to be with a Nigerian woman to fully be included in his family. His relatives go on to tell him that he will not be happy with me that he has to be with a Nigerian women because after all love feelings fade the "family" (meaning mother, siblings and extended family) is what will keep a couple together. My boyfriend's mother calls him and tells him "you need to break up with her, you have three days" and then will go weeks without talking to him because of me. My boyfriends siblings are passive about it, and some feel he should follow his heart and the other siblings feel he should follow their mother's word.

My boyfriend and I are so much in love. We have both never been in love like this. We have looked at all avenues, have cried over this and have thrown our hands up over our heads in defeat. He feels this may be a losing battle because if we continue on this path we will both be made miserable. He feels it could get so bad as to them showing up at our house and throwing me out. He has been told stories recently of his relatives shutting people out because they chose to marry outside of their culture and tribe. He doesn't want this for our future and feels he will be heartbroken when/if we stay together and I am constantly not accepted and made fun of and outcasted. He feels he cannot stand up to them, nor do I want him to have to choose sides. It feels we have hit a brick wall and I know he is ready to give up. We both WANT very much to be together and both LOVE each other and both can imagine a happy future together if his family would accept me and accept us together.

Is there anyone who has been through this? Anyone who relates and has a similar family structure? Anyone who has been with an American and got their family to accept their partner. We want so much to work and love one another whole heartedly. But it hurts to feel our future may be doomed.

I thought I could contact his mother and talk to her candidly. He does not feel this is a good idea. I want to respect her and Nigerian Igbo culture. I love this man so much and respect him and his family. I want to be with him and him with me. I am committed to learning and celebrating the culture, to visiting, to doing whatever we can. I just don't feel it's over or that we should give up.

I am so heartbroken over this and trying to figure out what the best thing to do is. We love each other so much. Family is very important to both of us and cutting anyone out is just not an option. Any honest open advice would be greatly appreciated. Things we can do together and things I can do to gain acceptance into this amazing culture and family...ideas please!

Thanks!!

There are thousands of Igbo families with mixed culture and ethnicities family members....It has nothing to do with YOUR ETHNICITY...they just don't like YOU. Your choice....leave it or deal with it.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by kittykat1(f): 12:52am On Apr 27, 2012
At OP pls don't waste ur time. Move on as if u r being chased by a wild man eating beast. Its very difficult to win a Nigerian mother when she says she does not want u and ur mother inlaw is the the really strong type. If you refuse now, she will keep coming up with different strategies to scare her son and put him under pressure. Some could go as far as faking a life threatening condition and blaming you and the son for it. While on her supposed sick bed in the hospital, her son will be called and pressurized to leave u. This is just an example of the kind of tricks the can come up.

And its a pity that ur man is weak. His type can't withstand the battle ahead. My dear run for ur life and sanity.

I have been there, seen it all and I narrowly escaped to tell ppl like u that the fear of an angry Nigerian Monther In law who doesnt want u is the beginning of wisdom.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 12:57am On Apr 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

There are thousands of Igbo families with mixed culture and ethnicities family members....It has nothing to do with YOUR ETHNICITY...they just don't like YOU. Your choice....leave it or deal with it.

Well I haven't ever met his mother, so I'm confused as you might imagine.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 1:01am On Apr 27, 2012
kitty kat: At OP pls don't waste ur time. Move on as if u r being chased by a wild man eating beast. Its very difficult to win a Nigerian mother when she says she does not want u and ur mother inlaw is the the really strong type. If you refuse now, she will keep coming up with different strategies to scare her son and put him under pressure. Some could go as far as faking a life threatening condition and blaming you and the son for it. While on her supposed sick bed in the hospital, her son will be called and pressurized to leave u. This is just an example of the kind of tricks the can come up.

And its a pity that ur man is weak. His type can't withstand the battle ahed. My dear run for ur life and sanity.

I have been there, seen it all and I narrowly escaped to tell ppl like u that the fear of an angry Nigerian Monther In law who deosnt want u is the beginning of wisdom.

That is exactly what seems to happen, things always come up to try and pull apart the relationships in his family. I guess I am hoping someone has made it work and can share that.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 1:01am On Apr 27, 2012
liyah27:

Well I haven't ever met his mother, so I'm confused as you might imagine.

You don't have to meet his mother in order for your boy to tell his mother about you. He doesn't have an international calling card? undecided

You also don't know what he has been saying to his mother about you and for her not to like you WITHOUT meeting you IS A BAD SIGN.

Then again...you have a choice...you can deal with the mother not liking you and marry the boy you "love" or you give yourself a heart attack worrying about why the mother don't want her son to marry you.

The choice is yours.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 1:03am On Apr 27, 2012
Also, just out of curiosity, not at all that this is the intent for us, how do viewpoints shifts if couples have children together?
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 1:05am On Apr 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

You don't have to meet his mother in order for your boy to tell his mother about you. He doesn't have an international calling card? undecided

True... But he would not tell her anything bad. Thanks for the input.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 1:06am On Apr 27, 2012
liyah27: Also, just out of curiosity, not at all that this is the intent for us, how do viewpoints shifts if couples have children together?

The viewpoints will still be the same. If someone doesn't like you or want you....the amount of children will not change that.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 1:07am On Apr 27, 2012
liyah27:

True... But he would not tell her anything bad. Thanks for the input.

How do you know? Are you on every phone calls he made to his mother? As I said...you don't know what has been said between the two.

Keep making excuses and ignore the elephant in the room.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 1:45am On Apr 27, 2012
Thank you for all the input. It is all good to think about.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by Nobody: 3:01am On Apr 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

I agree with the weakest link part but what do we really expect a weak nigga to do? If he is so concerned with his family and how they perceived of her then he doesn't love her.

I also want to say that there is a big difference between lust and love. You can lust someone so much that it becomes delusionalized love that it isn't real.

If someone love you the way they should love you....THEY WILL SHOW IT not just say it and depend on their families to speak for their life.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand the dynamics and fundamentals of love. I also want to stress there is also a difference between conditional love and unconditional love.

Mrs C you are right, but sadly many people are unsure about the future away from the very same people who have always been there as support, from the day they were born. it may seem like a simple decision but it surely aint, however "in love" that person is. imagine a guy who has always listened/been around/cherished and favored his family, and suddenly half of that same family is gone because of the love that person has for a lady? it is not an easy decision to take (although it is right).

FEAR would have many people (who truly love their partner), stick to what they know best because, in their immature minds, family will always be BEST/SAFE/GOOD/RIGHT.

also remember, the whole issue is about UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. the unconditional love for your family vs the unconditional love for the woman of your life.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 4:58am On Apr 27, 2012
^^^ this feels exactly what it is about. sadly.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by kittykat1(f): 7:53am On Apr 27, 2012
OP don't tell me that u r thinking about kids!!!
Looks like you love bitterness?

In this type of situation, where they all hate you, they will also hate your kids. They will not even act like they exist. If you try to bring them close to the family after you have them, the best they will do for you is take a peek at them and utter that they wish the kids were never born or that the kids had been aborted.

Believe me your man will not get stronger even after seeing his kids.

The weakest link like MBJ said here is your man. He is not strong. If he were I would have told you to stay. You will still find real love. Please just leave now that it isn't complicated yet. Like I told you I have been there, I was advised and I refused to listen and I paid dearly with my sanity, emotions, health, finances, career and almost my life. I am lucky to still be alive. Pls give other men around you a chance.

You still have chances of finding real love.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by liyah27(f): 12:40am On Apr 28, 2012
^^ oh no I was not thinking that! Just curiosity as I am trying to understand the whole situation. Thank you for your honesty. It helps me better exam this.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by CelBA: 10:37pm On Aug 08, 2012
Hi liyah27, I am a Mexican American woman married to a Nigerian man and I really have to say that I believe if your man really loves you he won't care what his family thinks. I know before my husband and I married which we did so in Nigeria it was a question I asked and he said he did not give a f... what his family and friends wanted. A marriage is between two people and if either of your family's won't accept it then you must continue on together if you really love each other. My husbands' family and friends were and are wonderful to me. Don't think of this as two separate Nationality's, just do whatever you would do regardless of the Nationality's. Either he loves you no matter what and he'll do whatever to be with you or not. And if he won't don't waste your love and time on him, find someone that loves you enough to not give a f... as my husband said. If you wish to talk further email me at < cel.balderrama@yahoo.com >
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by Bossman(m): 11:46pm On Aug 08, 2012
Don't worry if this relationship does not workout. It's best that both of you are happy. I personally believe though, that your boyfriend, as an adult should be able to make his own decisions.

Unfortunately, some of our parents are still from the old school, and believe one should only marry a Nigerian for the marriage to last. What a bunch of nonsense! The divorce rate among Nigerians in the USA is about 50% My sister, 2 of my cousins, etc. Were all married to Nigerians. Not any longer of curse. My parents have ditched that lame a$$ belief a long time ago!
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by tellwisdom: 11:57pm On Aug 08, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Must u quote her again?? angry angry
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 12:11am On Aug 09, 2012
tellwisdom:

Must u quote her again?? angry angry

Kiss my WHOLE ARSE.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by blasterman(m): 1:39am On Aug 09, 2012
Dis mrs chima character r u Nigerian?
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 3:01am On Aug 09, 2012
blasterman: Dis mrs chima character r u Nigerian?

Are you?
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by tellwisdom: 7:50am On Aug 09, 2012
blasterman: Dis mrs chima character r u Nigerian?

BLuddy jamaican hoodlum undecided undecided
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by MrsChima(f): 11:30am On Aug 09, 2012
tellwisdom:

BLuddy jamaican hoodlum undecided undecided

That's your mammy.
Re: Help?!! Nigerian Man With American Female--advice On How To Make It Work by tellwisdom: 11:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

That's your mammy.

can u com to san francisco this weekend? we really need to see

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Joke: I'm The Most Handsome Male In Nairaland / 6 Mysterious Things That Occur While You Sleep / I Don't Hit On Guys. I Just Give My Signs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.