Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Internet Development: The Way Forward - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Internet Development: The Way Forward (1065 Views)

CBN Has Stop Abroad Transactions For Nigerians - The Way Forward / Email Marketing - The Way Forward Pls. / Online Business;the Way Forward In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Development: The Way Forward by astronp7(m): 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2007
Nigeria I believe is a way backward when it come to internet applications. So as a professional, what are the things you think should be put in place to boost the development and usage of Internet in Nigeria.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by my2cents(m): 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2007
In my opinion, infrastructure is #1:

Without 24 electricity supply for starters, we can't achieve much. I know of pple who are coding with a generator on which significantly adds to the cost of production. Yet, they still charge cheap for what they do cos Iyabo down the street is charging N30,000 for a website.

Everything to me in Nigeria revolves around a constant supply of electricity and water. I can deal with bad roads and go about my business without a car, but not without electricity/water.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by folahann(m): 8:50am On Nov 10, 2007
IN any way i don't think it will work
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by astronp7(m): 2:01pm On Nov 10, 2007
I believe it will work. But awearness it still low and may still have abstract thought about it. I think we need a better orientation. Like what happened in AIDS awearness programmes. Maybe talking about how we all can improve our lives.

Though now its still how to make big cash. Let introduce value, image, representation and style. It will help other than how much cash to fetch. Lets share the right Information.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by niyyie(m): 5:23pm On Nov 23, 2007
Aside all the above-mentioned factors, Nigerians must have a means of paying online for this Internet applications to really catch-up. Imagine how nice it would be to be able to submit your passport application online and pay the necessary fees online as well.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by rufaai(m): 11:56am On Nov 24, 2007
The only way forward is for us the standup and work hard, I dont thinking relying on governmental developement should be the lasting we should expect. The governement cant just everything for us!

I plan to work to my last sweat to the developement of Nigeria and Nigerians! - I also plan to work hard for my living,
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by astronp7(m): 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2007
I think its time that accademic institutions should explore how to strenghten indigineous development in this field. It will go a long way to reduce cost.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by juintade(m): 9:37am On Nov 27, 2007
astronp7:

I think its time that accademic institutions should explore how to strenghten indigineous development in this field. It will go a long way to reduce cost.
I definitely agree with Astronp7 on that. Here in the UK a lot of University do such a thing, a very good example is Liverpool John Moores University provides web servers for developers(and even host company) and charge a reasonable fee for it, while at the same time it provides them the infrastructure to teach thier students with the lastest hardware and software.

I suppose the big oil companies(that rip our country off) should also try and invest in the IT infrastructure, and they would also gain from it.

Investors from abroad or even within the country would also help, since the government does not seem to understand the importance of INTERNET
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by niyyie(m): 9:46am On Dec 16, 2007
Yes indeed. If the Federal Government of Nigeria really appreciated the power of the Internet, Nigeria's official government portal (nigeria.gov.ng) would not be the big mess that it is today.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by my2cents(m): 11:18am On Dec 16, 2007
Tell me about it niyyie,

During OBJ's rule, it was definitely much better than it is today. Back then if you entered "Nigeria" in google, it would be the first link.

On friday, I wanted to see what the site looked like but cdnt remember the URL. So I went to google but couldn't find the site on the first 3 pages. After about 10 minutes, I decided to check Nigerian embassy sites. One would think all of them would have a link to that site. For where? Finally, I found the link on one of the embassy sites and was embarrassed at what I found.

During my last visit home, I was surprised at 2 things:

1) When I approached various peoples regarding setting up a web shop, 99% told me to forget it and focus instead on things like supermarkets or something in oil and gas.

2) In the calabar/uyo area, I saw many signs that said, "web design". Upon visiting such places, I would get the "standard", "Sir, we don't do web design", to which I would immediately ask, "So why do you have it on your sign outside?"

Even on TV/radio, I can't recall the number of local stations that ran ads with a URL in it. I stress local cos it seemed to me more pple watched super sports or channel O. I was always the odd person out when I would ask whoever it was to switch to NTA so I could catch the news. I was even told that it wasn't uncommon for the 9pm news to be interrupted cos they had to switch to a champions league match (but I digress)!! shocked shocked I won't even mention the fact that many atimes, I would spend 1 hr trying to send 3 emails cos of a slow internet connection at a cafe (do I hear, "it isn't like that in lagos or ph or abuja? my answer here would be, "it doesnt matter. we are all within the boundaries of nigeria. it should be the same everywhere". If I could only send 3 emails in one hour, how long would it take me to upload an entire site?).

Since Nigeria is at least 80% govt-run, it makes sense that the govt should take steps to encourage internet development by providing incentives. Western countries do same with respect to agriculture through heavy subsidies. Right now, sadly, we are blinded by the curse of black gold. Unfortunately, unlike countries like Dubai, we aren't doing much to diversify.
Re: Internet Development: The Way Forward by astronp7(m): 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2007
@ my2cents:
Its really very unfortunate. One day was making some search on Google image, I along the line I enter "Nigerian Fashion" it amazed me the type of images that was displayed.

@ everone:
We Nigerians should appreciate and explore the opportunities provided by the Internet rather than view it negatively.

I also think we the professionals, should develop our skills further and look for ways to help our dear country. We should as well see Government establishments and parastatals that don't have a website or on poorly designed as an opportunity to explore (maybe design it and talk to who ever is in charge)

This way we will make progress.

Warmest Regards
Ezeali Emmanuel

(1) (Reply)

Banks that Recently Disabled Interswitch Cards For Internet Use / Anyone Making $100 From Adsense? Pls Help! / Cheap Hosting With Liberty Reserve @ 0.90 Dollars Per Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.