Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Sat And Tofel Exams - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sat And Tofel Exams (3059 Views)

IELTS And TOFEL Apllicant Let Us Meet Here. / The Information You Must Know About Tofel And How To Pass The Exam / The Imformation You Must Know About Tofel And How To Pass Tofel At One Sitting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sat And Tofel Exams by AGideon(m): 11:21pm On Apr 30, 2012
Pls i need some orientiation about SAT and TOFEL exams . All comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks smiley
Re: Sat And Tofel Exams by tanimola22: 12:34am On May 01, 2012
A.Gideon:
Pls i need some orientiation about SAT and TOFEL exams . All comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks smiley

You can easily get the current information on the internet. My knowledge about SAT is based on what I knew more than a decade ago. Perhaps you will find something sensible in what I have to say.

SAT is the main entrance exam for undergraduate studies in the US. It is of two kinds. The first one is the SAT 1 reasoning test, which has quantitative, verbal and analytical sections, and basically measures your ability to perform basic mathematics, comprehend English language and compose written responses to questions. You will need a strong foundation in O'level mathematics and a fine understanding of the English language in order for you to get a very nice test score. Many things have changed about SAT 1 since I registered for it in 2000. You may want to get the current info. See here http://sat.collegeboard.org/home

SAT 2 is much more demanding because it is a subject test and is meant to check how well students have mastered subjects like math, physics, chemistry etc at both O' and A levels. If your knowledge of these subjects is restricted to O'level or secondary school level, then I advise you to deepen your knowledge and understanding of the subjects at A level. The people I know who aced SAT 2 had a solid knowledge of years 1 and 2 university level work before they took the SAT 2 exam. In fact, we lost many of our finest brains in engineering and science at unilag to some of the world's top schools in the US. You can easily get material for SAT 2 preparation by visiting different SAT sites. There are many of them on the internet. Search, search and search.

TOEFL tests your ability to comprehend written passages (Reading), listen and understand spoken sentences (Listening), write clear and understandable essays and summaries (Writing) and speak articulately (Speaking). So, the test comprises 4 parts--Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking. Each part carries 30 points and so you are graded out of 120. Requirements very from university to university, but the very nice universities require an overall score of 90 and above, and the most competitive universities require a score of >25 on the speaking part if you are a graduate student who wants to work as a teaching assistant. TOEFL is not really a difficult test. Most people I know blasted 100 and above. In fact, my classmate in naija(now in Michigan)blasted 112 or 118/120. I am not sure again sha. However, it all depends on your foundation in the English language and your ability to use the most helpful textbooks when preparing for the TOEFL test. I have found Barron and Kaplan to be extremely useful. It is possible to even score 117 or 119/120 if you can carefully read through and assimilate the ideas and strategies presented in both textbooks. I will not tell you my score cheesy

Finally, I suspect that I had earlier responded to one of your posts. I am not too sure sha. But my general advice to you if you are still a young person would be to attend any university in naija and get the best grades that you can get. After achieving good grades (I mean really excellent grades), you can get a full scholarship to study at one of Cambridge, Oxford, MIT, Harvard, NY, Columbia, Penn, Michigan, Chicago, California, just name it. This is the exact thing I would tell my younger bro/sis if I had one. There will always be plenty of scholarships for the most accomplished graduate students and some lucky unaccomplished ones.

Make your choice. All the best omo oba.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Sat And Tofel Exams by AGideon(m): 6:59am On May 01, 2012
Thanks bro, that was somewhat exhaustive, and i deeply appreciate your advice..
Re: Sat And Tofel Exams by eddyme(m): 7:51am On Jan 12, 2015
boss @tanimola can i get a school in usa that give waver in school fee cos am not that young again been it that am over 25yrs
i am currently about rounding off my ND in software enginerring but woould like to further ahead for undergraduate in computer science or software engineering your advise will be appreciated

thanks

(1) (Reply)

Uniben Postgraduate School / University Resumption Date To Be Announced Next Week / The Cost Of running Msc Program In Uniben, OAU And UI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.