Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,232 members, 7,807,767 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... (87534 Views)

Poll: Which is the best feed?

Coppens. From holland!.: 69% (18 votes)
Chi feed. from ibadan!: 15% (4 votes)
Durante. From ibadan!: 11% (3 votes)
zeigler from usa!: 0% (0 votes)
Vita feed from jos: 3% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 5:01pm On May 04, 2012
@arramyjay,tanx so much 4 this info. Actually,I av bn looking 4 info like this on this forum. Infact I just finished d construction of my pond ytday and I want 2 ask these questions.
1. What's d diff btw fingerlings and juveniles?
2. Will those catfish grow very well in a brick-constructed pond?
3. As a starter,how can I neutralise d cement odour in d pond?
4. If d sun is 2 much on d pond,how can I protect d water from being 2 hot 4 d fishes? I'm scared cos d recent Sun is rather 2 hot.
5. In what month can I sort d big 4rm d small cos I read somewhere above that they eat each other?
6. Do I still need d Bio-disc despite having a constant flow of water supply?
Thanks as I await ur response.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 5:30pm On May 04, 2012
deandavid: sir didnt get you, 48hrs? Do u mean i ll have to be changing the water every 48hrs? My question is throughout the 5months i am keeping my fish, how often will i change the water,if i use the bio disc? Here is my email add. enaworedavid@gmail.com

1 time a week if wooden pond if earthen pond after liming the pon, and u dnt hv to change till u harvest. Let me knw if u require any more info boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 5:51pm On May 04, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
@arramyjay,tanx so much 4 this info. Actually,I av bn looking 4 info like this on this forum. Infact I just finished d construction of my pond ytday and I want 2 ask these questions.
4. If d sun is 2 much on d pond,how can I protect d water from being 2 hot 4 d fishes? I'm scared cos d recent Sun is rather 2 hot.
5. In what month can I sort d big 4rm d small cos I read somewhere above that they eat each other?

Hi boss, fingerlings are fishes that are aft birth about 1week to about 3weeks old, while juveniles are 4weeks to abt 6weeks aft birth.

Yes they will grow in concrete ponds as long as it is spacious.

To neutralise the cement such tht they don't hv any harmful effect on your fishes,
Use dis method which ever suits you boss.

A faster method is to use muratic acid. Briskly scrub all surfaces of the pond with this solution using a brush or broom. The cement may buble some as the lime works free. This will not harm the pond. Mix more solution if needed being sure to reach all surfaces. Rinse the pond thoroughly, drain and refill. Your pond is now ready for your catfish.

Or lime the new Concrete pond, u can get lime from plumbers,

Or wash with vingear or palm oil. Then lime.

No, the water can't be too hot for the fishes.In their natural habitat they aren't protected.it is only hot on d surface.

The best time to sort is evry first week in a new month.yes they eat them selves.

I have bio disc for sale, it basically helps retain oxygen in water which ur fishes need.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 9:06pm On May 04, 2012
arramyjay:

1 time a week if wooden pond if earthen pond after liming the pon, and u dnt hv to change till u harvest. Let me knw if u require any more info boss.
its an earthenware pond, wow so u mean i wont change the water for the whole 5 months, that's good, my pond is still under processing, but will get back to you when am ready, so bros how much will you sell the biodisc for us pls o,pity us o.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by deandavid(m): 9:07pm On May 04, 2012
pls send your num/email to me enaworedavid@gmail.com
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:15pm On May 04, 2012
deandavid: pls send your num/email to me enaworedavid@gmail.com
arramyjay@yahoo.com.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by TawaTemi1(f): 9:22pm On May 04, 2012
Thank u so much brother,this is really helpful. I hope u wont mind if I ask 4 ur cell-phone number? Pls send it to iyowun_tope@yahoo.com
I'm waiting pls.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:28pm On May 04, 2012
Tawa-Temi:
Thank u so much brother,this is really helpful. I hope u wont mind if I ask 4 ur cell-phone number? Pls send it to iyowun_tope@yahoo.com
I'm waiting pls.

hello boss i have added you on my yahoo id.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:29pm On May 04, 2012
deandavid: pls send your num/email to me enaworedavid@gmail.com

hello boss,i have added you on my yahoo id.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by OXYZ: 10:01pm On May 04, 2012
arramyjay:

Advantages of Bio-disc over some cheaper water accelerators.

Oxygen contains 2molecules of hydrogen and 1 of oxygen,we all know that when the temperature of your water is about 750c= 10am to 1pm oxygen in the water is at its highest and best time to feed your fishes,imagine if you can retain oxygen in the water through out the day,it means you can feed anytime of the day,and you wont be worried about oxygen reduction even if the pellets fall to the bottom of the pond.

other oxygen pumping thingy,we assume tht oxygen is abundant in air that is why we use it ryt,but most times yes we pump oxygen plus polluted air so you are back to square 1.

bio disc helps to rejuvenate the molecular structure of any liquid that is passed through the surface of the bio disc,i.e water

it works on the cellular activities of the fishes i.e it increases the wellness of the fish, the rate of flesh conversion will be high, immune system of the fishes are also very high.

pls any other thingy pls let me know.

I am sorry 4 being a skeptic,all these assertions about the wonderful job this Bio disc is performing,as it being scientifically proven?And for those who are into hatchery,hw can it b of benefit? Where is it manufactured.Have you ever raised fish with and without Bio disc and compare d result.Pls,kindly explain
arramyjay:

Oxygen contains 2molecules of hydrogen and 1 of oxygen,we all know that when the temperature of your water is about 750c= 10am to 1pm oxygen in the water is at its highest and best time to feed your fishes,imagine if you can retain oxygen in the water through out the day,it means you can feed anytime of the day,and you wont be worried about oxygen reduction even if the pellets fall to the bottom of the pond.

other oxygen pumping thingy,we assume tht oxygen is abundant in air that is why we use it ryt,but most times yes we pump oxygen plus polluted air so you are back to square 1.

bio disc helps to rejuvenate the molecular structure of any liquid that is passed through the surface of the bio disc,i.e water

it works on the cellular activities of the fishes i.e it increases the wellness of the fish, the rate of flesh conversion will be high, immune system of the fishes are also very high.

I am sorry 4 being a skeptic,all these ascertions about the wonderful job this Bio disc is performing,as it being scientifically proven?And for those who are into hatchery,hw can it b of benefit? Where is it manufactured.Have you ever raised fish with and without Bio disc and compare d result.Pls,kindly explain
arramyjay:

I am sorry 4 being a skeptic,all these ascertions about the wonderful job this Bio disc is performing,as it being scientifically proven?And for those who are into hatchery,hw can it b of benefit? Where is it manufactured.Have you ever raised fish with and without Bio disc and compare d result.Pls,kindly explain

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 12:37am On May 05, 2012
arramyjay:

To keep them for 5months boss, you need abt 10bags per month for 5months = 10*5*5000 = 250k naira for 5months.
Will love to know how you arrived at 10 bags so ℓ̊ can relate it with other number of fish. There is nothing as heart breaking as seeing your fish starve due to miscalculation. Thanks.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Dara216(f): 1:39am On May 05, 2012
@ arramyjay,thanks for dis meaningful thread,e 2 make sense.i hv always been interestd in farm farming,u just gave me d courage 2 work 2wards it bt i need ur expert opinoin on sum basic tins.
1.i intend 2 start small,like 300 juveniles,wht will b d best size of tank 4 dat amt of juveniles?nd hw much does it cost?.
2.hw many of d tanks do i need?.since u said d fishes shld b sortd 1ce a mnth?.
3.hw do u drain d water frm d GP tank nd hw often do u need 2 change d water?.
4.is d bio-disc really necessary? becos it sound expensive.
5.must i feed d fishes 4 5 mths?.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by opes: 2:31am On May 05, 2012
Tawa-Temi:

In using concrete pond, the fish only consume what you give to them unlike in earthen pond where they can get natural foods from the soil. my advice is to line the bottom of the concrete pond with clay soil to about 0.15 meters high. i do mix the clay soil with chicken manure before lining at the bottom of the concrete tank, this help to produce natural food in the pond and also create natural habitat for the fish
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:17am On May 05, 2012
OXYZ:

I am sorry 4 being a skeptic,all these assertions about the wonderful job this Bio disc is performing,as it being scientifically proven?And for those who are into hatchery,hw can it b of benefit? Where is it manufactured.Have you ever raised fish with and without Bio disc and compare d result.Pls,kindly explain

Pls google bio-disc and read plus refer to the first page of my post I explained,really getting tired of explaining things.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:18am On May 05, 2012
blink182: Will love to know how you arrived at 10 bags so ℓ̊ can relate it with other number of fish. There is nothing as heart breaking as seeing your fish starve due to miscalculation. Thanks.

Pls b4 u post a question read tru all other post, I explain to calculate what your fish needs.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 6:21am On May 05, 2012
Dear all b4 u post questions here, pls try to read tru all the posts, repeated question won't be answered. angry
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by OXYZ: 7:16am On May 05, 2012
Pls ,I would like 2 meet u.Kindly send your number and contact address to my email
azolukayode @ yahoo.com
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 7:26am On May 05, 2012
OXYZ: Pls ,I would like 2 meet u.Kindly send your number and contact address to my email
azolukayode @ yahoo.com

arramyjay@yahoo.com,let's start with email first pls.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 9:44am On May 05, 2012
arramyjay:

Pls b4 u post a question read tru all other post, I explain to calculate what your fish needs.
You go wicked for teacher well well Oº°˚˚˚°h, was half asleep when ℓ̊ saw this thread. The question came to me and ℓ̊ asked. The answer was perfect though.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by santuse: 9:47am On May 05, 2012
I don't think the calculations u gave about feeding 1000 catfish is correct. I have a fish farm with a stock of 1000 catfish i bought as juveniles. So don't try to scare people away with those feeding calculations. I use copens i started with 3mm and it lasted for one week and one day. Then moved to 4.5mm copens it has lasted one week today.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 10:20am On May 05, 2012
santuse: I don't think the calculations u gave about feeding 1000 catfish is correct. I have a fish farm with a stock of 1000 catfish i bought as juveniles. So don't try to scare people away with those feeding calculations. I use copens i started with 3mm and it lasted for one week and one day. Then moved to 4.5mm copens it has lasted one week today.

Ok let me write it again for the last time, it depends on how big you want ur fish to grow mr started wit 3mm.

Coppens = 15kg or 1500g so if ur coppens lasted for 1week that means you fed d whole 1000 fishes 214g of feed per day.geez goodluck wit making ur fishes grow.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 10:24am On May 05, 2012
blink182: You go wicked for teacher well well Oº°˚˚˚°h, was half asleep when ℓ̊ saw this thread. The question came to me and ℓ̊ asked. The answer was perfect though.

Awww my bad, cheesy I had answered so many of d same questions,I can choose to ignore so many questions but I dnt I ans them and to see them repeated again just makes me ....
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 05, 2012
arramyjay:

Awww my bad, cheesy I had answered so many of d same questions,I can choose to ignore so many questions but I dnt I ans them and to see them repeated again just makes me ....
Yeah would have replied same way. Your answer was really detailed.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by philipinho: 3:55pm On May 05, 2012
Why do they die when u over feed them? Don't they know wen to stop eating?

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 4:18pm On May 05, 2012
philipinho: Why do they die when u over feed them? Don't they know wen to stop eating?

So don't over feed them. lipsrsealed
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by philipinho: 9:01pm On May 05, 2012
So how can someone tell if the food is too much?
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:11pm On May 05, 2012
philipinho: So how can someone tell if the food is too much?

1st weigh 1 fish whatever it weigh * 10% * total num of fish.

If u read tru d posts this info u wud hv gotten.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by uhuns: 9:12pm On May 05, 2012
En guy,

Your assumption is that I must buy bio ---stuff from you
To change water I use electricity.
I guess am in u.k where marketers tell the truth( bad stock---bad specie).
Buy food at 5,200 with transport and not make your locally
Death is normally recorded say 10%.
Do small maths with earlier posters---------a fish at maturity has a min of 1kg equivalent of food cost.
Maintain (pay ) a helper.
My man
I have been having about 500 fish at most time for the past 5yrs,
I want to get practical experience from practical people.
Note :
Fish breeders make a kill from fingerling sales.
Feed seller make --------average sales
Market women make a kill-----------
Small farmers-------make-----------??
I want to hear farmers that have grown less than 2000fish for 5yrs to contribute to this.

Remember I want to learn don’t have anything to sell ------just to share experience..
Am in ph would like to visit any one with success story to share
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 9:18pm On May 05, 2012
uhuns: En guy,

Your assumption is that I must buy bio ---stuff from you
To change water I use electricity.
I guess am in u.k where marketers tell the truth( bad stock---bad specie).
Buy food at 5,200 with transport and not make your locally
Death is normally recorded say 10%.
Do small maths with earlier posters---------a fish at maturity has a min of 1kg equivalent of food cost.
Maintain (pay ) a helper.
My man
I have been having about 500 fish at most time for the past 5yrs,----- YOU can't make nada if u sit in ph wit 500fishes boss,so u learnt nothing frm breeding fishes for the past 5yrs geez.
I want to get practical experience from practical people.
Note :
Fish breeders make a kill from fingerling sales.
Feed seller make --------average sales
Market women make a kill-----------
Small farmers-------make-----------dat stay in ph make nothing.
I want to hear farmers that have grown less than 2000fish for 5yrs to contribute to this.

Remember I want to learn don’t have anything to sell ------just to share experience..
Am in ph would like to visit any one with success story to share

Point of correction I never wrote buy bio-disc frm me boss. B4 bio-disc came I am sure people where still breeding fishes.I started this topic to help people.it beats if people read my posts.Come to lagos,or ibadan or even abeokuta where water isn't polluted.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by obados2000(m): 2:19pm On May 06, 2012
i'm a fresh lawyer and i av interest in cat fish farming but i'm a novice but i thank u so much for all dis. Pls i intend to start with 300
Juveniles but i need u to help me with d size and type of pond dat will fit and how much can cater for them for 5 months and please can i have ur contact.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by arramyjay: 3:30pm On May 06, 2012
obados2000: i'm a fresh lawyer and i av interest in cat fish farming but i'm a novice but i thank u so much for all dis. Pls i intend to start with 300
Juveniles but i need u to help me with d size and type of pond dat will fit and how much can cater for them for 5 months and please can i have ur contact.

Go over the post start from page 0 boss.
Re: Catfish Farming.Start Small.Let's talk diseases and treatments.coming soon.... by obados2000(m): 3:33pm On May 06, 2012
ok but can i have ur contact

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Strange Bird Killed By Fulani / Giant Fish Caught In Lake At IITA Ibadan. / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.