Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? (67072 Views)

What Next After NYSC NIM Induction? / NYSC-NIM Result / How Relevant Is National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) In This Dispensation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 8:55pm On May 01, 2012
pls house, i want to know how relevant the NYSC NIM is. Do employers actually regard it? Is it a standard NIM certificate which can boost my CV? Pls i need responses from those who have adequate knowledge of the subject matter. Am skepticalon taking the exam this June.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 10:31pm On May 01, 2012
Pls feed in ur contributions cos am in need of advice now.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 8:09am On May 02, 2012
Pls i need ur views
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by rekeson: 7:02am On May 21, 2012
Where are the intellectuals?
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by PalmTree(m): 9:09am On May 21, 2012
It is relevant, although the courses are in stages from Graduate membership through Associate, full Membership, Fellowship to Companionship. The nysc parole is for graduate proficiency, and you will be inducted as a graduate member if you pass then you can now climb thru d stages. Now back to your question, employers do regard it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by LIncomers: 11:18am On May 21, 2012
Well since you have started taking the lectures, perhaps you should just write the exams....My colleagues did write the exams when I was serving too and it became an advantage for them....

Their is no point stopping halfway, and their is nothing to loose...but a certificate to build on...

Anyways goodluck.

Well an advice!!!
Try entrepeneurship....perhaps at something you love doing for fun, not necessarily your major...I've got some help in the link below

CHEERS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Geogeo1: 1:07pm On May 21, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
NIM generally is useless, i have never seen any organisation counting NIM among professional Certificates like ACCA, ICAN etc. Please dont just wasre your money on NIM.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by mbhs139(m): 1:31pm On May 21, 2012
rekeson: pls house, i want to know how relevant the NYSC NIM is. Do employers actually regard it? Is it a standard NIM certificate which can boost my CV? Pls i need responses from those who have adequate knowledge of the subject matter. Am skepticalon taking the exam this June.

my advice is that you should just do it for the knowledge you will gain and not for the certificate.

That's the problem with us in this country most of the time, we lay emphasis too much on the (relevance or employability) certificate instead of the knowledge to be gained from the course.

A sample of majority of people doing masters degree courses are doing for one reason: either because they need it to change their job, to get employment or because they haven't gotten one and would not want to be idle. It is actually not for the love of knowledge.

A sample of the masters course curriculum reveals that 75% of what is being taught at Masters level had already been corvered at the uundergraduate level.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by nairamobile: 1:34pm On May 21, 2012
just one of those things
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by cyril83(m): 1:39pm On May 21, 2012
It's just a waste of money and time

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by maddock(m): 1:51pm On May 21, 2012
Must it be for employment purpose? But anyway if you have the time and money but I don't think any importance is attached to it by employers of labour.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by meetgaya: 1:52pm On May 21, 2012
NYSC NIM IS NOTHING. IT CAN NOT FITCH YOU ANY JOB BUT THE KNOWLEDGE IS OK. WHY NOT GO FOR CIS, ICAN ETC?
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by toptop: 2:03pm On May 21, 2012
NIM is useless. People should stop falling prey to all these cerificate traders. If you need any valid certification in management, then obtain an MBA. Outside ICAN, CIS and ACCA, don't waste your resources on any other financial related programme till you secure a decent Job first.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Swker(m): 2:08pm On May 21, 2012
My dear NIM is NIM nothing like NYSC NIM its not written NYSC NIM if u want it go for it cos its an added advantage to ur CV
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Maxdiamond(m): 2:19pm On May 21, 2012
@poster, Nysc NIM is ok..when i was serving,i did mine.i did mine because wen i was serving,i was told it important 4 us b/cos its can serve as an additional qualification 2 boost our C.V. Bt 2 b honest wit u,wen i finish my youth serve & starting luking 4 a job,no employers ever regard it.wot they are after is ACCA,ICAN as addition qualification..well,i advice u 2 still write it since u av already going 4 lectures n d exam is nxt month..gudluck 2u witout jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by tessyade: 2:23pm On May 21, 2012
mbhs139:
my advice is that you should just do it for the knowledge you will gain and not for the certificate.

That's the problem with us in this country most of the time, we lay emphasis too much on the (relevance or employability) certificate instead of the knowledge to be gained from the course.
I agree with the above. @poster i will urge you to go for it not for the certificate but for the knowledge. The knowledge will be useful to you in the nearest future but the certificate MAY not be useful after now.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by MrEverest(m): 2:58pm On May 21, 2012
U guys r making me feel as if i wasted money buying d form, na wao!

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Ekowise(m): 3:03pm On May 21, 2012
Meh! NYSC-NIM is nt totaly useless. Though most employers prefer ICAN, ACCA, MBA....etc, dat does nt mean they don't regard it at all. I did it while serving & pass it. Not realy bcz of employmnt purpose but 2 add 2 knwledge & a teaste of it too. While aplyin 4 job online there ar most places u ar askd 4 a profesional qualificatn. Wen u open d optn, u c NIM most times. If u pas very well( Fin Mgt included), u maybe givn an award on INDUCTION day & sm companies directors present their may ofer u job. It hapend durin d last inductn at Lag(4th May) which d nxt is on 31st May.
Just do it nt wit intntn of job only bt d experience nd knwledge too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by kennytidistar(m): 3:39pm On May 21, 2012
guy NIM is NIM get what you want and it become your pride it may not be required but when you get a job you will enjoy it value so do it my dear nau that you are priviledge do it. ICAN,ACCA,or CiSA is an accounting profession strictly accounting and if you are not and accountant or you dont plan to have prospective plan on accounting why taking ICAN therefore my friend NIM is Ok take it and enjoy your diet. because all the lecturers that taught me management in school are also member so it has it value too you have nothing to waste. chop knockle!
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by babaijesha: 4:04pm On May 21, 2012
Waste of time and scarce resources.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by kehinde21(f): 4:06pm On May 21, 2012
NIM IS OK FOR IN THE MANAGEMENT POSITION WHILE ICAN OR ACCA IS MORE REALISTIC FOR ACCOUNTANT AND AUDITOR.AND SO FAR NIM HAS BEEN APPROVED BY NATIONAL ASEMBLY AS ONE OF THE PROFESSIONAL EXAMS IN NIGERIA ,THE CERTIFICATE IS NOT A WASTE.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by blackrules1(m): 4:15pm On May 21, 2012
I think people should have a clear knowledge of the difference between Accounting and Management.

OP,
Go on with your programme, study ahrd and excel in it.

I am of a Science background, I enrolled for NIM while serving; it was a real eye-opener for me.
I learnet alot in the class and that motivated me in my PGD Management Science - immediately after my NYSC.

Now, I am an 'Administrator in Science'. grin

5 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by TOKUGAWA(m): 4:39pm On May 21, 2012
NIM is very useless,alot of graduates are running from the more lucrative professional certificates simply because NIM is cheap and very easy to pass.I work in the HR dept of a reputable organization so i guess you know what i mean?All the best.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by opabukun(m): 5:03pm On May 21, 2012
NIM/NYSC may not add much 2 ur cv. Considering d cost & depending on ur availability, ill suggest u go 4 it. D issue is weda u do it or not after POP & u r interested in pursuing prof cert in Mgtmnt, u will reg 2sit 4 NIM Graduate prof level wich is d least grade of NIM prof membership. But if u posses addition qualifctn to ur 1st degree but not MBA or equivalent, u wl reg 4 NIM ASSOCIATE membaship wich afta 4years of Assci8 membaship plus ur managerial exposure, u wl b inducted to FELLOW membaship. Buh if u posses MBA, u wl be reg to write exams into FELLOW membaship. QED
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by horlla(m): 6:13pm On May 21, 2012
It is cheaper to do as corp member......simple
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by tijanks(m): 7:19pm On May 21, 2012
I did it...and am glad I did, its a cheap way to add a professional body to your cv....
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by onyewec3: 7:42pm On May 21, 2012
NIM is so so useless and useless like weed....ahahahahaaha.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Francex(f): 7:50pm On May 21, 2012
I am also writing it nxt month...d courses are so simple dat I actually wonder if it has value...well I'm not doing it for cv boost or wateva ..it's just to acquire knowledge only dat I feel dat I already have dat knowledge ....now going bck to ur question..it's quite relevant but its relevance is a gradual process,there are many stages lyk someone pointed out...dis NYSC stage is jst proefficiency(before efficiency...lol...dat means u are not yet efficient )...dis proefficiency cert doesn't have mch value but it can take u to d nxt stage...I wanted to write ICAN but it's expensive and am not yet prepared in mind..Jst passing time wit nim
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Ibman: 8:28pm On May 21, 2012
NIM is useless, i even regretd doin it. I spent a lot of money and time hoping it would be at advantage when i enter labor market. since 2006 when i completed my NYSC to January 2012 when i finally got a job, no employer has ever considered it. but since you ve already started try and complete it, no one knows tomorrow it could be a hot cake or give you an edge over some competitor.
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by jaydude(f): 8:59pm On May 21, 2012
please has any one upgraded from graduate member to associate? please how does one go about that?
Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 21, 2012
People say NIM is useless because employers do not ask for it then what will you say about the teeming unemployed graduates in Nigeria, does that make Bsc, Btech etc useless? Do not ask where you can work with NIM certificate but ask what work you can provide with the knowlege you gain from NIM. It is all about becoming a manager, an enterprenuer that will provide jobs for those with ''employe me'' mentality.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Relevant Is NYSC NIM? by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 21, 2012
Irrelevant, but it doesn't take away anything from you, so if you want to do, you may go ahead.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Male Corper Slumps And Dies In Lagos (Photos) / Corper Rocks Her NYSC Uniform In Braless Photoshoot / Inside Cross River NYSC 'Orientation Camp' (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.