Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43743 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by GNature(m): 1:31am On Jul 05, 2007
Jackal:

Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is better in Nigeria with:

Epileptic power supply.
Non-existing drinking water.
Dyslexic Public Transportation
Paralytic Communication System
Bad roads.
Menace of armed robbers.
Bribery and Corruption.
Lack of social security.
Untold hardship.
Mass Unemployment
Breaking of Law and Order
Gross Indiscipline.

If this is what u call a better life then Nigeria is within the premises of HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe, I pray that God will turn this country around.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 1:35am On Jul 05, 2007
If Nigeria is Hell then the Western Countries are SUPER HEAVENS.
Do u know lags in UK prisons enjoy a more better life than ordinary citizens in Nigeria?
I was reading an article that says each Prisoner in the UK gulps up to 200 pounds per day on expenses.
How much does an average Nigerian spend a day. Barely a pound dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine this. . . . . . .  If a SLAVE SHIP berths again in Lagos how many Nigerians do u think will jump into it out of free will?
Me mind says millions of youthz.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 1:38am On Jul 05, 2007
If people r to be truthful they wld be.

What wld citizens of Niger,Sudan,Uganda,India,Chile,Haiti,

say if someone is saying life is nt better in Nigeria.

Life is nt better abroad and dts ma honest opinion
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 1:47am On Jul 05, 2007
@ 9ja4eva,

Since we are talking about Heaven and Hell, it means we are talking about 2 extremes.
Niger, Somalia, Sudan, India and Haiti all belong to the same category as Nigeria.
Any country in this age where its people are still homeless, hungry and naked is HELL!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 2:01am On Jul 05, 2007
Homeless,hungry and naked.

Have u been to ghettos in d yankee or jand?Make u try visit am.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 2:06am On Jul 05, 2007
Ghettos in Jand?
Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
Tell me which area in Jand u found homeless, hungry and naked peops?
I can understand there are slums in Yankee but not Jand.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 2:13am On Jul 05, 2007
Yes Ghettos in jand.

Aside dt i tink people shld stop saying hard things abt Nigeria.E go better
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 2:23am On Jul 05, 2007
E go better for Nigeria?
Dream on. . . . . . . . . Dreamer.
The people governing Nigeria have designed it to FAIL.
If it doesn't fail. . . . . . there wont be avenues to embezzle funds.
Oil refineries breaking down is a classic example. . . . . All this incidents are targeted sabotages.
The country produces oil and u still have scarcity of fuel every now and then.
Can someone wake this geezer up?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by chiogo(f): 2:29am On Jul 05, 2007
@topic. Life is not better  abroad. Every country has it's share of problems. To be truthful, i prefer naija to here due to personal reasons. I like our culture and other things better than american culture but we all know d truth about naija. Once, u're poor in naija, it's similar to livin' in hell but if u're rich, trust me, naija is one of d best places to live in. Well, i live in d Us with my parents and trust me, am not all that impressed. America is better than naija alright, economically, we don't doubt that and i don't think naija can ever get to its level but Nigeria is a blessed country just d stupid government we have. If u check america, u'd find out there are more homeless pple in it than there are in Nigeria but once again, d government is takin' care of this issue unlike in naija. If u ask me, i prefer to live in naija anyday anytime but am already here. I want to finish my education here, get a job before thinkin' of goin' to naija 'cause the country's economical condition is critical. pple even find it hard to get into colleges, whether smart or not. That's bull---- "u have to have connections". Here, kids don't even wanna go to school and d government are d ones beggin' them to and offerin' scholarships. All these makes abroad unique but I still love my country anyday. only problem is d government and they don't seem to be changin' soon.they're gettin' worse. My theory is life is better in naija once u're rich, if not just "take ur broke-@ss home" like fergie wld say. lol
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 2:37am On Jul 05, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
ROTFLMAOWPIMP

Did u say there are more homeless people in America than Nigeria?
C'mon, get REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is the percentage of the homeless folks in America compared to Nigeria?
The homeless people in America were given hostels to stay but they don't want to because they have to feed their habits(DRUGS).
What plans has Nigeria put in place to help the multitudes of tramps sleeping in motor parks and subways in Nigeria?

So u have to be extremely rich in Nigeria to enjoy?
Having 50 cars in a 20 bedroom mansion, i guess, is what u term as being rich?
Whats the fate of an average decent Nigerian? DESPAIR?
The beauty of the developed country is u dont have to be very rich to enjoy the basic needs of life. See the difference?
Take it or leave it,Nigeria as a country is very ILL.
70% of the population are still entrapped in the poverty bracket.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 2:45am On Jul 05, 2007
Jackal:

E go better for Nigeria?
Dream on. . . . . . . . . Dreamer.
The people governing Nigeria have designed it to FAIL.
If it doesn't fail. . . . . . there wont be avenues to embezzle funds.
Oil refineries breaking down is a classic example. . . . . All this incidents are targeted sabotages.
The country produces oil and u still have scarcity of fuel every now and then.
Can someone wake this geezer up?

Tell dt to d birds.I never wanted ur negative opinion.

@Chigo

I buy most of ur points but i want u to know dt Rome wasnt built in a day.

Those saying life is better abroad shld keep in mind dt Americans and Britons caused d critical situation d African Continent is in right now.One thing though is no condition is permanent.Hopefully things will fall in place for Africa once more.

Haterz keep in mind dt d richest continent in d world is d AFRICAN continent
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by chiogo(f): 2:48am On Jul 05, 2007
@ jackal ,wow ^^^, what's your issue? Thank God, u live in d US. u shld know but u sound  undecided

Maybe, u didn't get what i said. There are lots of jobless people in America, not that they have any excuse for that but 'cause they're lazy. There are also jobless people in Nigeria but it's not mostly their faults, which is why i said economically, America is better. Reason bein' that the government takes care of these people. that's why they have homes like rehab, etc which are very plenty everywhere in america compared to naija. Without all these, trust me, u'd be seein' homeless people wherever u go in d US. Not that there are still not people like that, i see them once in a while. But tell me how many homes are dedicated to d homeless in naija? very few. c'mon, u shld know. don't feel like typin' too much.pheww, my fingers hurt.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 2:57am On Jul 05, 2007
@ 9ja4eva,

This is REALITY staring down at our faces and not NEGATIVE opinion.
The current critical situation were caused by Africans themselves.
It was our great ancestors that invited the whitemen to hunt/capture our own people from another tribe into slavery.
They traded their kinsmen into SLAVERY for weapons, assorted drinks and other accessories.
Wonder why Jamaicans don't like Africans? They believe Africans sold 'em off to SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if u don't know. . . . . . now u know.
I detest it when people dont take responsibilty for their actions.
Nigeria's problems were caused by Nigerians.
Definitely,it was the whitemen that brought CIVIL WAR into Nigeria between 1967-1970 that claimed 2 million lives in the East.
Abacha and OBJ is an American and IBB is British. grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 3:26am On Jul 05, 2007
Guy so u dey try tell me say na Africans start slavery?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 4:25am On Jul 05, 2007
AFRICANS AIDED AND ABETTED SLAVERY
All the stories i read about SLAVERY had inside jobs attached to it.
An African chief from village X invites and tutor the whitemen to invade village Y and enslave the inhabitants.
Of course, there was a price-tag of Alcoholic drinks and small face-mirrors. wink
Have u forgotten how Kinta Kunte was captured?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 9ja4eva: 4:30am On Jul 05, 2007
Guy na Europeans start that thing oh
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by NVME1: 7:53pm On Nov 09, 2007
VERY INTERESTING TOPIC I GUESS, NICE CONTRIBUTIONS FROM EVERYBODY,

NIGERIA WILL GET THERE NA TIME, OUR PROB BE SAY WE ARE TOO SMART,
TAKING 2 STEPs @ A TIME.

GOD BLESS AMERICA also WITH NIGERIA
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Tats(m): 3:16am On Nov 10, 2007
NV ME:

TAKING 2 STEPs @ A TIME.

grin grin grin
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by almondjoy(f): 7:45am On Nov 10, 2007

(m)
Rochester, NY

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad?
« #605 on: July 05, 2007, 01:23 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is better in Nigeria with:

Epileptic power supply - No wonder we didnt grow up addicted to computers, Tv and games.
Non-existing drinking water - Because of that Nigerians have one of the strongest immune systems. Just ask the oyinbos that are always coming down with every virus in the medical text book. Ever hear a nigerian complain of allergies before with all our firewood?
Dyslexic Public Transportation - We invented the molue
Paralytic Communication System - we learnt to flash and made real friends rather than hiding behind myspace and facebook.
Bad roads - if this didnt teach you to pray nothing else will.
Menace of armed robbers - er this one get as e be.
Bribery and Corruption - That is why we cannot be decieved by black paper and chemicals. Ask the oyinbos.
Lack of social security - Family security dey
Untold hardship - shuffering and shmiling
Mass Unemployment - Hawking pure water is a form of employment
Breaking of Law and Order - Laws are meant to be broken and spontaneous changes occur with an increase in entropy.

If this is what u call a better life then Nigeria is within the premises of HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Are the European countries and North America necessarily within the premises of heaven? Abeg Life is better in Nigeria!

He he he he he he he he he heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Don't forget hospitals as "pre-paid cemetery plots" that hold corpses as hostages till bills are paid for services never rendered.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by NVME1: 10:56am On Nov 10, 2007
@siena
Where are you currently residing
I STILL INSIST THAT NIGERIA WILL GET THERE,

THE PROB IS WITHIN,
Apart from our LEADERS, the YOUTH are the ones abetting most of the CORRUPTION. An average nigerian youth is not ready to make an impact.

WE TOO OPEN EYE shocked shocked shocked

NA the open eye make us get INDEPENDENCE when we were not yet ready.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by anusule(m): 9:09pm On Nov 10, 2007
@Siena
''proud 2 be british' lmao

sorry o, black na black, naija dey smell for your blood,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Vicjustice: 10:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
9ja4eva:

If people r to be truthful they would be.

What would citizens of Niger,Sudan,Uganda,India,Chile,Haiti,

say if someone is saying life is nt better in Nigeria.

Life is nt better abroad and dts ma honest opinion

Please, Omit Chile from that list, Chile with it's economy which is considered the best in South America is by no way near poverty.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by almondjoy(f): 2:28pm On Nov 11, 2007
Siena:

Folk keep on saying Nigeria will get better with time -

"e go better".

But when? That saying has been going on for at least 3 decades! As long as folk choose to ignore the mess the Nigerian system is in, refuse to acknowledge the negatives, or accept critism, Nigeria'll never get better, it'll get worse!

Each time a new "administration" is sworn in, there's hope in the mind of the average Nigerian, that things will "get better". Every new politician (liar / thief?) promises the earth, but seem to outdo their predecessors in terms of taking big chunks out of the national cake - everyone wants their share!

It's probably best to expect the worst in Nigeria, that way, if it's just[i] bad,[/i] you can regard it as a bonus. It'll take more than a million years to unravel the mess Nigeria has become in the last 30 years, and that's fact.

Nice Siena--your pidgin English is getting better. Hang with me lover boy! kiss

Yes oh! Famous words--"E go better"! In our dreams! Today is worse than yesterday and the future will be worse than today since no steps are in place to correct that retarded development in Nigeria. Nigeria has long been classified as a "failure to thrive" country. Stunted growth and development on all levels. It is a pity, because we do not have to be that way. But we as Nigerians make superhuman efforts to retrogress. What a sadness!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by almondjoy(f): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2007
Siena:

I like your optimism. smiley

But it doesn't change the fact that Nigerians refuse to face the fact, that most of Nigeria's problems come from

within.

A lot higher up the echelon than the Nigerian youth! We're talking the country's leaders. How honest are they? What examples do they set for the average Nigerian youth, the future of Nigeria? angry

Why would the average Nigerian youth be the one to make the changes that'll make Nigeria better? You need to question, what is Nigeria prepared to do for the average youth? Sometimes, I almost find it hard to blame the average Nigerian citizen for resorting to dishonesty to put a meal on their table, or clothes on their backs! sad

No, I don't live in Nigeria, but I lived there for long enough to realise that with each passing year, things got worse.

I actually enjoyed Nigeria when I lived there, (lived there for 12 years) but sadly, it seems those days are long gone. I do compare life in Nigeria to life abroad, and the difference is great. Probably 20 years ago, the differences were less pronounced, but that's another story.

I'm planning a trip to Nigeria next year, to visit Abuja. I'll probably enjoy it, but at present, I can't see myself living in Nigeria on a permanent basis.

Music to my ears darling! Please do not go back there to live. Nothing there for you at all. Let the "optimists" keep being optimistic--that is what "their religion" teaches them. Optimism--hopes for better things to come till death do them part. If I had no means of escaping out of that joint--I would be "optimistic" too. Thank you father--I know better now--that life could be better even out of[b] YOUR [/b] own country of birth. What a joy!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Rare(m): 11:40pm On Nov 17, 2007
I like the notion here of "what do you really want from life"

This topic is easier to analyse when you've had some experience living both in Nigeria and UK or US.

I had a few years experience living in the UK as a kid. After many years in Nigeria now, I can conclude that life in the places like the UK entail that you be a law-abiding person to enjoy it. Also the society works and is functional!! You can tap into useful educational resources and pursue a meaningful career in an orderly and reassuring manner as you won't find in Nigeria. Also, the longer you stay abroad, the more likelihood you'll live there for a greater part of your life. There is really no motivation to come home permanantly. Besides the way the UK system is structured; with an honest living you simply can't wake up some day and say, "I have made enough money; I ready to return home"

But if you have a terrific cash flow in Nigeria, it's still a country where you can live life to the fullest and ensure same for your family; and still visit the US/UK if you really must; and do so honourably.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by almondjoy(f): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2007
Rare:

I like the notion here of "what do you really want from life"

This topic is easier to analyse when you've had some experience living both in Nigeria and UK or US.

I had a few years experience living in the UK as a kid. After many years in Nigeria now, I can conclude that life in the places like the UK entail that you be a law-abiding person to enjoy it. Also the society works and is functional!! You can tap into useful educational resources and pursue a meaningful career in an orderly and reassuring manner as you won't find in Nigeria. Also, the longer you stay abroad, the more likelihood you'll live there for a greater part of your life. There is really no motivation to come home permanantly. Besides the way the UK system is structured; with an honest living you simply can't wake up some day and say, "I have made enough money; I ready to return home"

But if you have a terrific cash flow in Nigeria, it's still a country where you can live life to the fullest and ensure same for your family; and still visit the US/UK if you really must; and do so honourably.

Hmmm!

By sending them out of the country to school or receive medical treatment.

I totally agree.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ikorodu(m): 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2007
yes it is.
No comparison.
The most important thing in life, is safety and security not money.
Where i am, i can go out at 1: am. no police or armed robber has ever attacked me, in fact i only travel after 12 midnight and although i am not rich, at least i am safe.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ikorodu(m): 12:57pm On Dec 27, 2007
NV ME:

TAKING 2 STEPs @ A TIME.

you think?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ajebota(f): 2:45am On Mar 30, 2008
I love my country oooooo But apart from national pride i believe that I have the responsibility to give back to my motherland. I am able mentally, physically and otherwise so what is stopping me. Extremely easy for me to stay in the U.K (or anywhere in the world that I so choose) all my life but I would be wasting some serious potential. Only laziness and greed will keep me in the U.K after uni and 2 years or less of work experience. As God has blessed me I must bless others. Period. Naija for life.

Its not the same for everyone. Every man to his cup of tea but I know my future is among my own flesh and blood. And at least if a fellow Nigerian wants to fight me I can give the person back equal measure. No 'black ting' nonsense like abroad.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by pony(m): 5:03pm On Apr 04, 2008
I think it depends on your situation.
I am a Nigerian and is presently in the U.S. I won the U.S Green card thus giving me the opportunity to stay,school and work in the U.S for as long as I want.
But I work at one of the GSM companies in Nigeria earning over 200k per month. I am also over 30yrs and should be thinking of settling down. This puts me in a position to weigh whether to come the U.S every 5 months to maintain my green card, resign from my Job in Naija and relocate for MSC in the U.S or search for a Job in the U.S( tax takes most of your pay!).
At the moment I chose my Job in Naija and would be coming to the U.S from time to time.
So it all depends on your situation.
If you are doing well in Naija stay back but if you are struggling in Naija or want to go to school, relocating would be the best.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by admin2008(m): 3:45am On Apr 20, 2008
life is what you make it.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by rite2salas(m): 10:08pm On Apr 21, 2008
life abroad is better than life in Naija taims(x) hundred. everything is at your beck and call.
no power outages/up nepa
no molues
no area boys/conductors
no mosquitoes /roaches/rats as your room mates
no pure water
no gutter
no fake stuffs (except u go to china town ) cheesy
no waki ass home videos

C'mon, ya kiddin me
Life abroad is better , :Pya digg

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

US: Why We Rejected 44.9% Of Nigerian Nonimmigrant B Visa Applications In 2017 / Black Cinderella Calls On Kenyan Ashawos To Come & Protect Nigerian Customers / First Kilometre Of Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway Completed With Street Lights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.