Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (43750 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by AjanleKoko: 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2009
For the same reason that you are not older than your father, Nigeria cannot be better than abroad.
Abroad in this case being Western Europe and North America.

Even those of us who live and work in Lagos don't deceive ourselves. Some people work in top jobs here, but nobody is decieving themselves. I have four generators and an inverter. Last Monday it took five hours before I got home. Even though I have a driver, I sure didn't enjoy the time spent in traffic!

Someone said Nigeria has the cheapest education anywhere. What a crock. We don't even have a functioning educational system.
I think like someone said, Nigeria manages to function. It's not really a country, it's just a place where people live. Some make good money from the environment, the by far greater majority just scrape by. Nigerians are great people though. Very resillient and adaptive, and they try to make the best of whatever situation they find themselves.

But there is no money made in Nigeria that cannot be made elsewhere, if you are talking about legitimate earnings, and not looting. Of course it's more difficult to steal abroad. They have working law enforcement, unlike Nigeria, and there's a system in place. So nobody can just make millions of dollars disappear just like that, though some like Madoff or Stanford are able to do it. They still end up paying for it sha. I know lots of Nigerians abroad who are making very good money, both paid employees, and business owners. Unlike their Nigerian counterparts, they don't go for lau-lau spending, primarily because of the tax system, and also because they understand the true principle of business, which is expansion by re-investing profits, not using the profits to buy houses for your girlfriends and stuff.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MandingoII(m): 7:31pm On Jul 12, 2009
I'd rather be HOMELESS in the states than Live a comfortable life in Nigeria.

At least there is hope for me.

surely one day I will get a government funded housing and gainful employment.

then I will be able to develop some self-esteem.

these opportunities are not available in Nigeria.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by superstar1(m): 8:11pm On Jul 12, 2009
@ ajanlekoko
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by superstar1(m): 8:28pm On Jul 12, 2009
@ AJANLEKOKO

wHO SAYS THERE IS NO CORRUPTION IN THE WESTERN WORLD. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT 9JA OWN IS DAYLYT ROBBERY WHY  THEIRS IS HIGH TECH CORRUPTION AND THEY WILL USE NICE VOCABS TO COAT IT----------LIKE LOBBYING. ANOTHER DIFFERNCE IS DAT IN THE WESTERN WORLD, THE RULE IS DONT BE CAUGHT BY THE PRESS AND U ARE OK WHILE IN NAIJA U WILL STEAL AND STILL SHOW EVRYBODY AND HEAVEN WILL NEVER FALL
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 9:14pm On Jul 13, 2009
MandingoII:

I'd rather be HOMELESS in the states than Live a comfortable life in Nigeria.

At least there is hope for me.

surely one day I will get a government funded housing and gainful employment.

then I will be able to develop some self-esteem.

these opportunities are not available in Nigeria.

Dude, you gotta be joking. you dont know what the challenges and indignities of homelessness, particularly in America. You cant even get a job, because some companies would need you to furnish them with your address. And you can easily get robbed, even in shelters. Thank God I have never been homeless, and honestly, if I am even given such choices, I would rather live a comfortable life in Nigeria than to be homeless in America.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by chyk91(m): 2:01am On Jul 16, 2009
life abroad is better than in naija.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 16, 2009
For the average Nigerian , life is better abroad because you can live a decent/comfortable life with basic amenities that would be considered luxuries in Nigeria.

If you live in Nigeria (in Lagos for sure), you need a multimillion naira income to regularly enjoy even the basics an average man abroad enjoys.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by shilling(f): 8:58am On Jul 16, 2009
Not always, depends on you're standard of living and how much money you're making.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by vikiviko(m): 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2009
Life abroad is eventful but mince no words no place like home.

You will be home sick after 1-2 years, you will even miss NEPA, Traffic, Noise , all the abnormalities that has conditioned our lives in 9ja.

All the same life abroad is full of ups and down, if you have a good job you can enjoy all the goodies, the opportunities abroad especially in West Europe , Canada, UK, US are much compared to other places.

No place like 9ja shaaaaaaa.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Dotman01(m): 3:23pm On Jul 17, 2009
@ajanlekoko u'av said it all, 9ja is a country wer ppl live and notin more, we dnt av any government. Imagine, a country wer ppl cant recognise d voice of d president, i know d voice of obama even in my dream.
A country wer we dnt av leaders but rulers, and again some ppl always say 'we' should build/help our country or somtin. Pls tel me HOW CAN WE HELP NIGERIA
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Lady2(f): 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2009
Those who say life is better abroad are either lying or trying to deceive others or don't live abroad.

It is not better abroad. There's a reason they have a higher suicide rate than in Nigeria.

Life is not about material things.

Two Nigerian nurses in Atlanta just died in their car. One a woman the other a man.
They both worked around the clock because that's what it takes to survive here.
The woman was leaving work she stepped into her car and closed her eyes and never woke up.
The man was tired so he decided to take a break, he went to his car to rest. His friends kept calling him to come back to work, after no response from him they went to his car, they found him dead.

SO while it may seem that you get the amenities abroad, how much do u have to work for those amenities.
When you word 16-20 hours a day when will you sit down and enjoy the amenities.

My uncle and his family just got to the U.S., and already they're contemplating using their return ticket to Nigeria. They now see how hard my mum works and how hard it is to make ends meet here, and are very surprised and finally understand the times she couldn't send money home.

It's a real eye opener to come to the U.S. I don't discourage people, because I know that within years they're planning their return home to Nigeria.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Lady2(f): 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2009
@rite2salas

~Lady~

lol where u at

I no see this post sef.

At that time I was in undergrad at FAMU in Tallahassee, FL USA.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by yommyuk: 5:10am On Jul 18, 2009
In my opinion 50/50

In the west, if you have a decent job and live within your means. You can plan long term and live comfortably in retirement.
A Lot of naija people think they can just come to the west for a few years and make it big. In the west you can afford to
make mistakes in business and build yourself up again. The Infrastructure, educational system, rule of law, business
pratices and accountability in government beats naija hands down. However you pay through your nose for all the services
rendered. Reaching the top end goal in ones career is a lot harder. Your earn what u acheive.

In Nigeria, if your are not a real hustler, you cannot survive. Not everybody is cut out to be a business person. If you fail
in nigeria it is harder to get back up. The stress level in nigeria is far greater. However Nigeria is one of the few countries
in the world where you can make a million bucks and pay 1000 naria tax. A Tax haven for tax avoiders. Cheap labour
again is good for business. Naija is the place where a driver starts work at 5am and finishes 12pm for N12000 per month
without overtime cost incurred by the oga.

As for me, I enjoy the best of both worlds. I have only one life to live. Why die b4 my time cool
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by generalzango(m): 9:51am On Jul 18, 2009
Hmmm.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by chyk91(m): 9:31pm On Jul 18, 2009
life is better
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by mencer(m): 8:39pm On Jul 20, 2009
Life go better a country where
The FG civil service employed 380 graduates in 2008 out of the million youths roaming the filthy streets of nija
Seems hopeless
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by emotional(m): 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2009
Firstly,it all depends on what ¨better life¨ means to you and secondly its depend on how you wish to live or enjoy your life or what makes you happy and lastly,the type of life you lived back home.for instance,availability of basic amenities in the western world  makes  life better while is opposite in 9ja. same-time pple in some villages in africa without electric power supply or other infrastructure yet consider themselves happy even more than some pple in abroad if I may say. e.g You cant imagine one in abroad with two kids,no job no un-employment benefits if uve finished the one you due for(in some western E.U contries)while back home he could easily provide for his family, so should such person consider abroad life better?
Some said something abt 24hr power supply but ask how many hours do you stay at home to enjoy the power?if abroad is better why do some come to abroad on vacation and yet go back home? if nigeria is good while do some have to trek tru the desert to make Europe? in all bro-BE CONTENTED WITH D  LITTLE YOU HAVE. comfort is not that too difficult to achieve in life,it only  depends on what to be comfortable means to you.cheers
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 11:43am On Jun 30, 2016
This question should be answered in 2016, 10 years after this thread was opened.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by vhuqnl(m): 12:16pm On Jul 23, 2020
Resurrection
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sharpman1(m): 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2020
This thread started in 2006

BellaRouge:
Hi Nairalanders,

What do you think?
Is life really better abroad?

America might have more educational opportunies than Nigeria but overall, I dont think that life is better here. Although it's nice to have electricity 24 hours a day, but I really didnt mind sleeping without in the dark.

People go through the same problems that some Nigerians complain about; Crime and corruption. The American government is also filled with corruption just like Nigeria. Except education, what other reasons do people have for leaving Nigeria?

If it was up to me, I would return to Nigeria in a blink of an eye because I miss everything about it. cry

This comment made in 2009

AjanleKoko:
For the same reason that you are not older than your father, Nigeria cannot be better than abroad.
Abroad in this case being Western Europe and North America.

Even those of us who live and work in Lagos don't deceive ourselves. Some people work in top jobs here, but nobody is decieving themselves. I have four generators and an inverter. Last Monday it took five hours before I got home. Even though I have a driver, I sure didn't enjoy the time spent in traffic!

Someone said Nigeria has the cheapest education anywhere. What a crock. We don't even have a functioning educational system.
I think like someone said, Nigeria manages to function. It's not really a country, it's just a place where people live. Some make good money from the environment, the by far greater majority just scrape by. Nigerians are great people though. Very resillient and adaptive, and they try to make the best of whatever situation they find themselves.

But there is no money made in Nigeria that cannot be made elsewhere, if you are talking about legitimate earnings, and not looting. Of course it's more difficult to steal abroad. They have working law enforcement, unlike Nigeria, and there's a system in place. So nobody can just make millions of dollars disappear just like that, though some like Madoff or Stanford are able to do it. They still end up paying for it sha. I know lots of Nigerians abroad who are making very good money, both paid employees, and business owners. Unlike their Nigerian counterparts, they don't go for lau-lau spending, primarily because of the tax system, and also because they understand the true principle of business, which is expansion by re-investing profits, not using the profits to buy houses for your girlfriends and stuff.

Now.......we are half way in 2020 and this argument is still goes on everyday.

After 14 years.....no progress. No nothing. The country is getting worse. Any hope for this country?

My conclusion......Nigeria is a hopeless situation.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Freedomfsl: 9:59am On Jul 25, 2020
Imagine that A child born when this thread was created is in SS 2 or 3 we are still on the same argument in 2020.

I know some hopefuls will come back in 14 years to tell us Nigeria will be better. Better when

If you can leave, please do now. Don't wait till you hit 40 to realize that this country has nothing for you. The leaders don't care about you and they are not pretending to.

This comment made in 2009

Now.......we are half way in 2020 and this argument is still goes on everyday.

After 14 years.....no progress. Any hope for this country?

My conclusion......Nigeria is a hopeless situation.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Freedomfsl: 10:15am On Jul 25, 2020
MrBean:
There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Its down to the individual. However the fact remains that most of the contributions to this thread has been directed toward the middle class which is not a good representation of majority of nigeria but may be in the case of the US.

My point is the percentage of nigerians that are suffering is insane. I dare to say 65%
Kids hawking on the street
countless undocumented murders, rapes, kidnappings,
Jobless graduates etc

I will be a doctor here in the US in few months and I will say even back at home in Nigeria I was priviledeged to be from a middle class family and could always afford to come here on holidays but it broke my heart all those years seeing the contrast between the standards of living.

Anytime I go to Nigeria on holidays. I try to have fun and I also see all my friends that are doing well in business and their respective careers but the fact still remains that majority of nigerians endure suffering that many US citizens see in movies or on CNN

The system is in shambles.
Let me ask the comfortable nigerians some questions:

1. How do you feel driving in your vehicles and seeing a boy your sons age trying to sell to you under the scorching sun? Just another day in lagos eh? your hearts are hardenend so much so that its now a norm.

2. have you been to the public hospitals and check out the infrastructure? sorry i forgot you use private clinics. Most nigerians cannot even afford to pay registration fee for the hospitals. some cannot even afford transportation to the hospital and they die.

3. Do you pay your regular toll to the police officers at every checkpoint? (bribe)

4. What is the average time for picking up a body killed trying to cross the road? My last visit to lagos I saw two bodies in the last stages of total decomposition on public streets and kids see these sights too.

5. Have you experienced the traffic menace constituted by the "yellow devils" that leads to endless hours on the roads. You are probably used to it.

These are the few i observed in my breif visit in 2005.

The problem is the system is broken and a few Nigerians getting ahead doesnt take away the problem. I personally don't do well seeing the number of women and children suffering. The number of comfortable nigerians if negligible when compared to the nigerians suffering.

This is not about how much money you make but dignity and decency for human life. This is widely accessible in the US and scarcely seen in nigeria. Inconclusion my answer to the question is Life is better here a million times over judging by these parameters.

Like someone on this thread rigthfully said: "A country that pays a policeman 7000naira ($60) a month and gives him a gun is set for anarchy'

Apt@ the bolded

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 17, 2021
Seun:
BellaROuge: Please don't decieve yourself. grin Nigeria is only good for those who are willing to generate their own power, dig up and refine their own water, maintain their own private police force, et cetera. Life in Nigeria is only tolerable to those who are used to it, not those who have spent a lot of time abroad!
This post of yours is about 15-16yrs ago . and from your comment its very clear that Nigeria is not much better then .
Now fast forward to 2021 , look how everything is. Even if I don't want to immigrate I think I'll for my unborn kid's...
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
Omo since 2006 and still yet its still a shit hole undecided
don't you think its pretty stupid to compare US to Nigeria. Even some other African countries we can't stand near them not to talk of America. And yet we are the giant of Africa..
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Blurpy: 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2021
15 years later.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Zanzibar1: 8:45pm On Apr 09, 2023
somebody:
theone, I know companies pay undergrads N7.5 million in naija, two of my friends even got better than that last year. If I did not know anything about Nigeria then you can come and start giving me those stories you want idiots to believe. I am very in touch with Nigeria, just even got back from hols so I know what I am talking about. How many graduates would earn N7.5 million. Try going to the jobs section of nairaland and see how many peope would be grateful for a job that pays N50,000 a month.
you made this post in 2007.
the year is 2023 and its hard to get a job of 50k
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:03pm On Apr 09, 2023
Zanzibar1:

you made this post in 2007.
the year is 2023 and its hard to get a job of 50k

Nna men. That 2009 with 50k sef you can buy a car o if you save like 20k from your salary for like a year
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by OSDD(m): 9:39pm On Apr 09, 2023
This country is hopeless
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ajibade123(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2023
Seun:
BellaROuge: Please don't decieve yourself. grin Nigeria is only good for those who are willing to generate their own power, dig up and refine their own water, maintain their own private police force, et cetera. Life in Nigeria is only tolerable to those who are used to it, not those who have spent a lot of time abroad!
studying this thread
I feel nairaland didn't do enough to retain early users of the platform
most of these users that contributed to this thread initially are no longer active
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Raalsalghul: 10:48pm On Apr 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nna men. That 2009 with 50k sef you can buy a car o if you save like 20k from your salary for like a year

You can never lose betting against Nigeria.

cheesy
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:56pm On Apr 09, 2023
Raalsalghul:

You can never lose betting against Nigeria.

cheesy

Bros eh not just nigeria you can't lose betting against Africa. It's why nobody send our papa again. China that tried to bet for us are regretting it big time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

US: Why We Rejected 44.9% Of Nigerian Nonimmigrant B Visa Applications In 2017 / Fatal Accident In Ondo State This Morning (Graphic Pics) / Inside The New Qantas Dreamliners Where The Pilots And Crew Sleep(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.