Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,046 members, 7,807,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up (5537 Views)

Anxiety Grips PDP Chieftains Over Buhari’s Extradition Plan / Anxiety Grips Delta As Tribunal Decides Okowa's Fate In 48 Hours. / INEC: GEJ Plans To Replace Prof. Attahiru Jega With Prof. Olufemi Mimiko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by jookco(m): 3:45am On May 03, 2012
THE President may drop some ministers in a proposed cabinet shake-up, it was learnt last night. The reshuffle may take place after the first anniversary of the administration on May 29. A list of would-be ministers is being compiled and security checks are being carried out on them, according to sources.

President Goodluck Jonathan is said to be unhappy with the performance of about 17 ministers in his 42-man cabinet. But a senior government official, who confirmed the imminent shake-up last night, said: “Yes; it is likely, but it won’t be that massive.” Besides security reports and random assessment of the ministers, the President has taken “a deep interest in the submissions of ministers” at the ongoing stewardship programme organised by the Federal Ministry of Information.

It was learnt that Jonathan is disappointed that some of his ministers could not give account of their performance so far. Another source, who spoke in confidence, said: “I think there might be a cabinet reshuffle either a week before May 29 or a week after it. “As I am talking to you, at least 17 of the ministers may be shown the way out. These ministers have not performed up to the benchmark set by the President. “ The fuel subsidy probe is believed to have shown to the President some of the challenges in some of the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).

At the ongoing stewardship platform of the Federal Ministry of Information, some of the ministers could not list their achievements, The Nation learnt. The President is said to be unhappy with the pace of development in one of the ministries, considering the huge budgetary allocation to it last year.

A team was sent from the Presidency to conduct an appraisal of developments in the ministry and the verdict was not “encouraging”. Jonathan, it was said, was shocked that the New Maitama Extension District in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) was named after him. “He has decided to reject it because he does not want any minister to personalise governance,” it was said. Said the source: “There was also a particular incident abroad when a minister did not live up to expectations of a public officer. There is no rationale for retaining such a minister.”

Responding to a question, the source said: “What the President is after is for ministers to be able to say exactly how many roads have been constructed; significant steps in the provision of housing; access to basic needs, such as water and electricity; and a situation where ministers in strategic ministries would have impacted on the lives of Nigerians.”

Pressed to give more insight into the imminent shake-up, the source identified some of the ministers. Some are said to have got hints of plans to drop them and have started lobbying to be retained. Many people are making a strong case for the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqqayyat Rufai, who was able to stave off the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) crisis and initiate reforms. The source said: “Although going by the assessment report before the President, the Minister of State for Education, Nyisom Wike, is rated higher in performance than Prof. Rufai, some forces are pushing for the retention of Rufai, in view of the synergy between the two ministers. “The team work in the Ministry of Education between the two ministers has been fairly better than the case in the past.

“A strong case is also being made for the retention of the Minister of Works Mike Onolememen who has succeeded in fixing some roads, which had been written off. Some forces believe that Onolememen has performed better than most of his predecessors. But the President does not like a situation where some vital roads are about 40-52 per cent completed.”

Some of those who may join the cabinet, if there are favourable security checks on them, are a former Executive Secretary of the Petroleum Technology Development Fund(PTDF), Hamisu Mai Rago; the immediate past acting National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Kawu Baraje; former Deputy Governor of Imo State Ada Okwuonu; former National Chairman Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo; ex-Governor Chukwuemeka Ezeife, former PDP National Organising Secretary Uche Secondus; former PDP National Publicity Secretary Prof. Rufai Alkali; former PDP National Legal Adviser Olusola Oke; Senator Abba Aji and some of the aspirants who withdrew for the National Chairman of the PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, at the last National Convention.

But another source added that some members of the President’s kitchen cabinet are opposed to bringing “deadwoods” to the cabinet. The source said: “There are fears that some of the names being peddled may not add value to the cabinet. “So, in the next few weeks there will be more amendments to the list of new hands to be injected into the cabinet.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/45293-anxiety-grips-ministers-as-jonathan-plans-shake-up.html
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by OAM4J: 5:16am On May 03, 2012
Changing the ministers is not enough. The presidency needs to 1st shake up itself.

1 Like

Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by oba009(m): 9:57am On May 03, 2012
Thats true let him shake body joooo

OAM4J: Changing the ministers is not enough. The presidency needs to 1st shake up itself.
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by TonyMore1: 9:59am On May 03, 2012
Don't be deceived about the shake up story.

It is a calculated attempt to bring in more people to claim their own share of the national cake.

I wish you guys know the massive number of people Jonathan promised selected position if he gets to power seat and now is the time for new set of political monger to eat the fruit of their labor.

Ministerial Post is a rotational post.

2 Likes

Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by blacksta(m): 10:06am On May 03, 2012
every year - same round chair madness but not visible impact.

A shuffle of rotten tomatoes -

I lost hope in the Federal government and its projects long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by amosy007: 10:09am On May 03, 2012
Tony More: Don't be deceived about the shake up story.

It is a calculated attempt to bring in more people to claim their own share of the national cake.

I wish you guys know the massive number of people Jonathan promised selected position if he gets to power seat and now is the time for new set of political monger to eat the fruit of their labor.

Ministerial Post is a rotational post.

true talk.. That why he has over 1million advisers and sub advisers.. Shameless man
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by Nobody: 10:13am On May 03, 2012
Nigerians always good at complaining and good for nothing. Goodluck go toilet, they complain, Goodluck complain, they complain, Goodluck bought a Shoe, they complain, ok, Goodluck refused to put on Shoe, they complain, Seun change his site format, they complain.

Please just find something to keep u busy and quit complaining about everything all the time, do not grumble when u cant help a situation

1 Like

Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by duality(m): 10:22am On May 03, 2012
odiaero: Nigerians always good at complaining and good for nothing. Goodluck go toilet, they complain, Goodluck complain, they complain, Goodluck bought a Shoe, they complain, ok, Goodluck refused to put on Shoe, they complain, Seun change his site format, they complain.

Please just find something to keep u busy and quit complaining about everything all the time, do not grumble when u cant help a situation

GBAM!!!
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by Demdem(m): 10:25am On May 03, 2012
No amount of shake up can give the desired result as long as the head is rotten. Goodluck Nigeria
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by nkemKalu: 10:29am On May 03, 2012
Why should we not complain? A bad carpenter will always complain of something....if it's not his saw, it will be his hammer or blade etc....JONATHAN IS SIMPLY A VERY BAD CARPENTER. FIRSTLY, IT WAS COMPLETION OF YAR'ADUA'S TENOR AND WILL START WORK WHEN HE STARTS HIS OWN TENOR. NEXT IT WAS BOKO HARAM THAT DOES NOT ALLOW HIM WORK, TODAY IT IS HIS MINISTERS, TOMORROW IT WILL BE ANOTHER STORY. WE DON TIRE JARRI.......HE IS SIMPLY WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME SITTING LIKE A LOG OF WOOD IN ASO ROCK.
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by SOUTHSOUTH1: 10:30am On May 03, 2012
OAM4J: Changing the ministers is not enough. The presidency needs to 1st shake up itself.

IS THERE ANYTHING GEJ CAN DO TO MAKE YOU GUYS HAPPY AND ATLEAST FOR ONCE CONGRATULATE HIM?
THE PRESIDENT WILL GO RIGHT, YOU'LL SAY NO HE OUGHT TO GO LEFT AND IF HE GOES LEFT YOU STILL CANNOT BE SATISFY..
THE PRESIDENT IS NOT THE SOURCE OF NIGERIA PROBLEMS SINCE INDEPENDENT, HE ONLY INHERITED THOSE PROBLEMS AND HE IS TRYING HIS BEST AS HUMAN TO FIX THEM..CAN'T YOU SUPPORT HIM FOR ONES?
SO THOSE MINISTERS THAT ARE NOT PERFORMING, HE SHOULD KEEP QUITE AND ALLOW THEM?
AT THE END YOU'LL STILL BLAME HIM!!
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by blacksta(m): 10:34am On May 03, 2012
odiaero: Nigerians always good at complaining and good for nothing. Goodluck go toilet, they complain, Goodluck complain, they complain, Goodluck bought a Shoe, they complain, ok, Goodluck refused to put on Shoe, they complain, Seun change his site format, they complain.

Why are you behaving childish - what came out of the last 100 ministerial shake up. I suspect you are one of those Nigerians that love swallow government promises Hook , line and sinker - Anyway all the best with your faith system.
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:39am On May 03, 2012
Well nothing will government do that will ever impress me

I wonder why they always get everything wrong.

Shake up my foot.

Time for newbie to eat some national cake.
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by Nobody: 10:47am On May 03, 2012
blacksta:

Why are you behaving childish - what came out of the last 100 ministerial shake up. I suspect you are one of those Nigerians that love swallow government promises Hook , line and sinker - Anyway all the best with your faith system.

U are the one talking like a kid here, And am one of the people that worked hard to make my money, instead of complaining and waiting for manna from heaven
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by naija4change(m): 1:20pm On May 03, 2012
[b]Goodluck Nigeria. I am a strong fan of this political will-less president ever. It is a good thing that this administration is FOI conscious that is why you see the exposed corrupt Nigerians. But my problem with him is he is not courageous to lead us. I hope he would pick up because if he doesn't, it is no longer fresh air, it is now a polluted air.

This country has the greatest prospects and potentials among comity of nations but our problem is leadership and followership. May God Almighty help us.
[color=#000000][/color]
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by ifihearam: 2:07pm On May 03, 2012
I hope the shake up affects the minister of petroluem ??
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 03, 2012
ifihearam: I hope the shake up affects the minister of petroluem ??
Me too
Re: Anxiety Grips Ministers As GEJ Plans Cabinet Shake-up by ken4th: 7:26pm On May 03, 2012
what wil GEJ do dat wil eva pls u people. Why not a little chance or criticize him constructively. Must we b bias or insultive all d time? 2015 is a lot of time doh, but just wait and judge him den or vote him out if...

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Nation Declares: Only a Bastard Will Vote Jonathan / Boko Haram Releases Pictures Of Attack On Gudumbali Town In Borno. / RMAFC Proposes 3.3% Cut In Federal Goverment Allocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.