Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (42132 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by oneuniquemind(m): 11:28pm On May 04, 2012
RIP Rashidi Yekini.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by pendusky(m): 11:28pm On May 04, 2012
Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

Rashidi Yekini (23 October 1963 - 4 May 2012) was a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a striker. He scored Nigeria's first goal in a
FIFA World Cup.[b]Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

Rashidi Yekini (23 October 1963 - 4 May 2012) was a Nigerian retired footballer who played as a striker. He scored Nigeria's first goal in a
FIFA World Cup.[/b]Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

FIFA World Cup.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by adekolly(m): 11:29pm On May 04, 2012
rest in peace Rashidi rest in peace Rashidi rest in peace Rashidi
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Ninilowo(m): 11:29pm On May 04, 2012
fubbyy: Where is the source?
Google
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by cashful(m): 11:31pm On May 04, 2012
Oh can't believe that he is no more.
heard of his exploits in 84' nations cup
watched him at 88, 90,92,94 nations cup,
I celebrated his first & Nigeria 1st goal @ USA 94
Hwatched him play for local, african, and international clubs...eg. Victorial Setubal & Sporting gihon
He was Nigeria's best and greatest stiker. a Legend.
May his soul R I P
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 04, 2012
May he rest in peace. He made Nigeria proud.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by bomijuwon(m): 11:33pm On May 04, 2012
farewall Hero. though the country and fate treated you cruelly. RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by franktolk(m): 11:34pm On May 04, 2012
Another version of the story has it that he was killed by Armed Robbers. I don't know yet how true this is . Its very painfull ...
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by LagosShia: 11:34pm On May 04, 2012
Inna Lillah Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajioon!

may Almighty Allah grant him eternal bliss!

i am very sad and moved by this news.and what makes me even more sad is the condition i read he died in! cry cry cry cry cry

how many more people would die because people who have the means to save them are too greedy and inconsiderate for the lives of others? we are really living in nasty times.may Allah hasten the re-appearance of Imam Mahdi (ajtfs) and Prophet Jesus (as).
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by nerodenero: 11:34pm On May 04, 2012
I remember Tunisia 94 when Super Eagles played Ivory Coast in d semi-final and gangling Yekini stood up to take the last spotkick.We were all celebrating before that kick and behold he despatched d ball into the net.That was how convincing this man can be infront of the goal post.Your goal against Bulgaria in USA 94 is still fresh in my memory,though you are gone but your exploit in the round-leather game lives on.Adieu Rashidi.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by cowgurl: 11:35pm On May 04, 2012
Am speechless. I digged dis guy way bak wen Nigerian football was still football. Rest in Peace yekini, I miss u alredi.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by toluxa1(m): 11:36pm On May 04, 2012
Rip
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Katsumoto: 11:36pm On May 04, 2012
RIP to the greatest striker in Nigerian history.

To the haterz saying he was broke; Did Yekini ask your fathers for money?

And to those saying he had mental issues, maybe it was your dads that passed it to him.

The man served your country well, what purpose does it serve to bring up such nonsense at this point?

The man is dead, you either wish his soul well or you shut the Bleep up.

To the football lovers, what was Yekini's best goal for Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by jmaine: 11:37pm On May 04, 2012
[size=18pt]The No Nonsence finisher is gone cry[/size]
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by SuyaEater(m): 11:39pm On May 04, 2012
nigeria never celebrate you when you are alive...what a useless hopeless country
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Riodiao(m): 11:40pm On May 04, 2012
nababagod: The great rasheedi yekini is no more.may his soul rest in peace.i know him to be the best ever penaltykick taker and goal scorer for the super eagles.
am telling you. Shot power 99, u put ur hand ur finger go break
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Riodiao(m): 11:41pm On May 04, 2012
Katsumoto: RIP to the greatest striker in Nigerian history.

And to those saying he had mental issues, maybe it was your dads that passed it to him.

The man served your country well, what purpose does it serve to bring up such nonsense at this point?

the goal against gabon in afcon 94 and ivory coast
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Riodiao(m): 11:41pm On May 04, 2012
It was nigeria's super Eagles 1st game in d african cup of nations.Nigeria vs Gabon,he lobed d ball over the on rushing goalie and headed into an empty net celebrating by jumping and thumping into d air with his fist(a celebration i realy admired and mimicked whenever i score a goal while playing canta ball as a little kid).He followed dat with a deadly and powerful free kick for his second.Against ivory coast in d semi final he equalised with a solo effort after the great michael bosley had twice scored for the ivorians.I watched dis games on telly live as a little kid.I used to think he had scored over 500goals for nigeria.He was a goal scoring machine.Very tall,well built and strong.I remember d commentator in d game between nigeria vs spain in france 98 when Yekini was about to come on for Mobil oparaku in a tactical substitution sayin ' when Rashidi comes in, he drives in like a bulldozer. RIP RASHIDI YEKINI ,NIGERIA'S EVER GREATEST NUMBA 9.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by 2nex(m): 11:42pm On May 04, 2012
wat a gr8 lose!RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by kwaghe: 11:43pm On May 04, 2012
He was never replaced in the super chickens team.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by onatisi(m): 11:43pm On May 04, 2012
NRI PRIEST: This guy died in porverty. He had major problems with the usa '94 super eagles and the abandoned him. He was the poorest of that group because of the beef !
may God forgive u.na keshi talk say make clubs no pay am.he was ok even after he retired but he had spiritual problems.when he was asked to falsify his age he said no.keshi and all the rest did it.at the end big clubs didnt want an old leg in their team.this story was from yekinis mouth so dont ask me where it
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by SuyaEater(m): 11:44pm On May 04, 2012
Riodiao: It was nigeria's super Eagles 1st game in d african cup of nations.Nigeria vs Gabon,he lobed d ball over the on rushing goalie and headed into an empty celebrating by jumping and thumping into d air with his fist(a celebration i realy admired and mimicked when i was playing canta ball as a little kid).He followed dat with a deadly and powerful free kick for his second.Against ivory coast in d semi final he equalised with a solo effort after the great michael bosley had twice scored for the ivorians.I watched dis games on telly live as a little kid.I used to think he had scored over 500goals for nigeria.He was a goal scoring machine.Very tall,well built and strong.I remember d commentator in d game between nigeria vs spain in france 98 when Yekini was about to come on for Mobil oparaku in a tactical substitution sayin ' when Rashidi comes in, he drives in like a bulldozer. RIP RASHIDI YEKINI ,NIGERIA'S EVER GREATEST NUMBA 9.

I still remember that goal!
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Ninilowo(m): 11:46pm On May 04, 2012
The guy died of frustration and neglect. What a nation! Even his team mates could not rise to the occasion and Mutiu Adepoju was at IB there when he was roaming the street eh? Oh my God! I hope all the Finidis, Okochas, Babangidas, Babayaros, Siasias, keshis, Amokachis, Rufais, Taribos, Eguavoens, Ikpebas, etc would not attend his burial. If they do, what will they be saying? They were not aware of his predicaments? shame!! Shame!! Adieu The first Nigerian to score at FIFA world cup. We love you but God love you the most. Good nite, till we meet to part no more.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by vokalguy(m): 11:53pm On May 04, 2012
pendusky: Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

FIFA World Cup.[b]Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

FIFA World Cup.[/b]Its confirmed got dis frm wikipedia

FIFA World Cup.

You do realize anyone can make changes to wikipedia articles right
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Katsumoto: 11:53pm On May 04, 2012
Riodiao: It was nigeria's super Eagles 1st game in d african cup of nations.Nigeria vs Gabon,he lobed d ball over the on rushing goalie and headed into an empty celebrating by jumping and thumping into d air with his fist(a celebration i realy admired and mimicked when i was playing canta ball as a little kid).He followed dat with a deadly and powerful free kick for his second.Against ivory coast in d semi final he equalised with a solo effort after the great michael bosley had twice scored for the ivorians.I watched dis games on telly live as a little kid.I used to think he had scored over 500goals for nigeria.He was a goal scoring machine.Very tall,well built and strong.I remember d commentator in d game between nigeria vs spain in france 98 when Yekini was about to come on for Mobil oparaku in a tactical substitution sayin ' when Rashidi comes in, he drives in like a bulldozer. RIP RASHIDI YEKINI ,NIGERIA'S EVER GREATEST NUMBA 9.

The goal against Gabon was a great goal. But for me, it’s either the goal against Algeria at Surulere for the 1994 WC qualifier or the first goal against Zaire in the 94 Nations cup.

The goal against Algeria was from a tight angle, Against Zaire, Oliseh dispossessed a Zairean in the centre of the field and floated a long ball to Yekini on the edge of the 18, Yekini collected and controlled the ball with his ankle before dispatching the ball into the top right corner of the goal. Pure ecstasy
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:53pm On May 04, 2012
Rashidi Yekini

A truly inspirational striker.

A real Nigerian legend. Always gave 110% everytime he wore the green and white. How can I ever forget that strike against Bulgaria in 1994... Nigerias first world cup scorer.

If you are indeed gone, I hope you find paradise on the other side. You were a great Nigerian, you played your part for this nation, and although it may seem like we are ungrateful and your efforts were wasted, your life shall be an inspiration for young and unborn generations to come. Everytime you were on the pitch, we as a nation forgot our problems for 90 minutes.. Thanks for sevring the motherland, thanks for putting a smile on the faces of countless Nigerians all over the world. You will be missed... And surely your name shall always be mentioned wherever great Nigerians are mentioned..

Rashidi Yekini... The greatest Nigerian striker that ever lived..

RIP

2 Likes

Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by pbs4real(m): 11:55pm On May 04, 2012
RIP bansa omo kwara our best 9 ever...
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 11:56pm On May 04, 2012
Katsumoto: RIP to the greatest striker in Nigerian history.

Wow, I've never seen you lost your cool.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:59pm On May 04, 2012
Nigerians abandoned this guy and he surfered till he is gone ! He is a Nigerian legend simple!
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by http(m): 11:59pm On May 04, 2012
Inna Lilai Wa Inna Lilahi Rajiuna, to him we come and unto him we shall return, i pray almighty Allah grant you Aljanna Fridau.
You have done your part, your legacy will continue to live on brother.
We that remain should take clue that this world will come to an end for each and everyone of us one day.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 12:00am On May 05, 2012
The insanity story was a rumour. He never lost his sense. He only became very religious in his last few years and became detached detached from worldliness,voluntarily gave out properties in charity, joined the ordinary men on the street mosques for prayers etc. Never lost his sense, those were what people, who expected him to be living high society life as an ex-international, saw and interpreted as insanity. He only became overly religious and detached from worldly fancies.

He was clearly not rich, but appeared contented. I know his two-storey building in our hometown, Offa. I guess that's where he will be buried tomorrow.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Funny Exchange Between Asisat Oshoala And Monday Gift. / Eden Hazard Blamed For Chelsea’s 6 – 0 Loss To Man City / Van Diyk Loses His First Premier League Game At Anfield After 4 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.