Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest (11873 Views)

Rashidi Yekinis Daughter To Meet Portugal Club After Nigeria ‘ignored’ Her / Which Nigeria U-17 Team Will You Consider The Greatest? ??? / Who Do You Consider The Best Nigerian Footballer Ever? * (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by dayokanu(m): 11:30pm On May 05, 2012
coogar:

the goal against zambia in algiers 90(semifinals).
it was a long diagonal cross and yekini met it with one of the most audacious volleys you would see.
outstanding tekkers, nigeria won 2-0!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHOnbWoCk8

start @ 1.05 secs

i think that diagonal pass was from Wasiu Ipaye
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Willy7(m): 2:23am On May 06, 2012
StarBoard: The Libreville game. Man, I remember waiting late at night to watch the game.That goal was worth the wait.
But I also remember the near-misses from spectacular efforts in France 98 and Tunisia 94.
The bicycle kick vs Spain was unbelievable.I swore the guy had broken his hip given he musta been like 40 in that game.But he got up and soldiered on.
The shot that hit the cross bar at Tunisia 94 almost broke the goalpost.Legend had it that Ahmed Shoubair (Egypt's goalie and Afica's best at the time) boasted that Yekini would not score against him.He was lucky that the bar came to his rescue.The cross bar must have been deformed permanently after that.

Thank you Rashidi Yekini for the memories.We will never forget the good times you gave us.We look at today's crop of players and woefully observe that they are so far away from the standards you and your peers set for them.They are just a lazy bunch of over-rated prima-donnas.You were the true king of goals.
Adieu,Baba Ibadan
Thank you my brother,i remember the said boast by that goalie and the cross bar hit.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Venchy: 2:58am On May 06, 2012
All I can say is that Nigeria have lost a real GEM......I appreciate everything you've given to us in this beautiful sport and may your Gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by Onyenna(m): 12:15pm On May 06, 2012
naptu2:

Nigeria 7 - Burkina Faso 1

Yekini made an off the pitch contribution to Nigeria's success in that game. Just as the match was about to start, it was discovered that an NFA official forgot the Eagle's shorts @ their camp in Ota. The NFA were in a fix. They didn't know what to do. CAF refused to delay the game and if the Eagles didn't file out it would mean that the game would be forfeited.

Yekini suggested that they should cut the tracksuit trousers with razor blade and use that to play the game. The Eagles played the first half wearing the improvised "knickerbockers" while the official rushed to Ota to get ythe shorts, which the Eagles used in the 2nd half.

Wow!!! Are U serious!?...I just wish I witnessed all this(the 'great' old days).......It would have been fun...... I was 6years old in 1994.....
cry
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by coogar: 1:37pm On May 07, 2012
dayokanu:
3. Our first goal in Tunisia 1994 where he received a long ball from Oliseh, Lobbed the keeper and slotted it in. Nigeria won 3-0

Kindly add any of his goals you remember

his 2nd goal in that game - a thunderous freekick that almost tore the net was a belter!
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by mamagee3(f): 4:43pm On May 07, 2012
He was one of the best nigerian players of all time.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by coogar: 6:03pm On May 07, 2012
mama-gee:
He was one of the best nigerian players of all time.

mamagee, you know yekini?
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On May 07, 2012
coogar:
his 2nd goal in that game - a thunderous freekick that almost tore the net was a belter!

Well that goal was badd too but like many people I was just awed by the skill he displayed in "heighting" the keeper and calmness to nod in. for a big man, thats not a easy skill
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by coogar: 6:34pm On May 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Well that goal was badd too but like many people I was just awed by the skill he displayed in "heighting" the keeper and calmness to nod in. for a big man, thats not a easy skill

the keeper made it easy for him rushing out like that. the lob itself was a high ball.
every natural striker would have done what yekini did - one on one with goalie. it's a no-brainer.
Re: Which Of Yekinis Goals Do You Consider The Greatest by chic2pimp(m): 7:32pm On May 07, 2012
Yekini vs Bulgaria

It Might not have been his best but certainly his most important and one that announced Nigeria's arrival on the world stage. Also loved the celebration(same goes for Finidi George vs Greece). Pure ecstacy and relief rolled into one. Nigeria's greatest ever no 9. You will be solely missed.

Rashidi Yekini...... and it is a goal. R.I.P Dude.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

International Marathon: Lagos Restricts Movement On Major Highways / Super Sand Eagles Qualify For Beach Soccer World Cup / Emmanuel Adebayor Signs For Turkish Club Istanbul Basakehir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.