Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? (46304 Views)

Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" / Secrets Of A Muslim Woman / Pregnant Muslim Woman Attacked In Paris, Loses Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 8:00am On May 07, 2012
Many scholars are of the opinion that it is prohibited (haram) for a muslim woman to take the name of her husband after marriage and a husband can not force his wife to take his last name...

The evidence they cite are as follows:

It was narrated from Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no man who knowingly calls himself after someone other than his father but he has committed kufr. Whoever claims to belong to people to whom he has no ties of blood, let him take his place in Hell.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3317; Muslim, 61)

What is meant by “committed kufr” is that he has done an act of kufr, not that he is beyond the pale of Islam.

The reason for the loss of lineage or heritage::: For this same reason, an adopted son keeps his original last name

......nor has He made your adopted sons your sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But Allah tells (you) the Truth, and He shows the (right) Way.
Call them by (the names) of their fathers: that is juster in the sight of Allah but if ye know not their father's (names, call them), your Brothers in faith, or your Mawlas. But there is no blame on you if ye make a mistake therein: (what counts is) the intention of your hearts: and Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
(Surah 33 4-5)

Since your wives have no blood relation to you and they are not property; It is required that they keep their father's last name and maintain their heritage....

For more

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/114624/Husbands%20last%20name
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2537/Husbands%20last%20name

3 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by ameenahz(f): 7:12am On Jan 29, 2013
As-salaam alaykum, brothers and sisters. Obviously, this is an old thread. But i av a question on d same topic n i didnt want 2 start a new thread.
I heard from a friend that our last names should ideally be our father's 1st names cos that was how the names of the sahabahs were listed e.g Umar ibn Khattab(RA)'s son, Abdullah was always called Abdullah ibn Umar not ibn Khattab.
This sounds logical, but it isnt always about what 'sounds' logical, so i want to confirm. Is this true?
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 12:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
As long as you identify with the heritage of your father, i do not think, it is a big deal bearing a 'family name'. The Sahaba used what was prevalent in their culture, i.e their father's first name.

The problem arises when you abandon your family name completely and adopt another name.

Using the father's first name or a general family name is more of a cultural thing.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by zayhal(f): 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
Many men, even some muslims still prefer that their wives use their (the men's) surname.

Admittedly, it gets a bit twisted in some cases sha. For instance, I use my father's name, hubby uses his father's and the kids use hubby's first name. So basically, three surnames operate in the family. On one occasion that I was traveling with my daughter to join hubby, I had so much explaining to do while obtaining daughter's visa who wasn't up to a year then. And at times when I have to fill forms involving the kids, I get funny questioning looks like "are you the parent or guardian?"

We need to emphasise this Islamic ruling in order to create more awareness about it. Its still not very common around here.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 5:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
^ I told my mum that my wife would keep her father's name and she was like :What??

lol... Anyway, some things need to change
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by zayhal(f): 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2013
Yes o. Even some of my family members are always like, what's wrong with me when they see me write my name with my father's name.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by uzeba(m): 11:10am On Jan 31, 2013
*space fo sell*
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Braincheck: 11:18am On Jan 31, 2013
Why all these Muslim posts on frontpage And today is not even friday (juma'a) or r u planin a Jihad on NL
The mod better do a braincheck.. This should be the 2nd and Last. Wait till tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Braincheck: 11:22am On Jan 31, 2013
Braincheck: Why all these Muslim posts on frontpage And today is not even friday (juma'a) or are u planing a Jihad on NL
The mod better do a braincheck.. This should be the 2nd and Last. Wait till tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by AyeeIdris(f): 11:24am On Jan 31, 2013
Salam brother mine. Its easier said than done. I tried to have my father converted as my middle name while adopting his, citing the islamic reasons and because of my certificates, and he said No, its against our "culture". EventuaLly, I had to drop my father's name completely. Most times, where there is a clash between accepted cultural practices and islam doctrines, the former always seems to come up on top.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by uzeba(m): 11:25am On Jan 31, 2013
If i comment dem go ban me! I love nairaland and i don't want to b ban!!
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by CohenJane: 11:26am On Jan 31, 2013
Braincheck: Why all these Muslim posts on frontpage And today is not even friday (juma'a) or r u planin a Jihad on NL

Do you have problem with people sharing their knowledge and opinion on open source? Do you go to bible study class only on sundays?

5 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Donmams(m): 11:33am On Jan 31, 2013
What is wrong with you? Why should you be so intolerant about islam?

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 31, 2013
uzeba: If i comment dem go ban me! I love nairaland and i don't want to b ban!!
see this new comer inheriting the behavour of his brothers. na islamophobia go kill u continue painting our moderators black u are entitle to your opinion but dont say poo talk sensibly
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by thirty(m): 11:48am On Jan 31, 2013
tbaba1234: Many scholars are of the opinion that it is prohibited (haram) for a muslim woman to take the name of her husband after marriage and a husband can not force his wife to take his last name...

It was narrated from Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no man who knowingly calls himself after someone other than his father but he has committed kufr. Whoever claims to belong to people to whom he has no ties of blood, let him take his place in Hell.”

What is meant by “committed kufr” is that he has done an act of kufr, not that he is beyond the pale of Islam.

The reason for the loss of lineage or heritage::: For this same reason, an adopted son keeps his original last name

......nor has He made your adopted sons your sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But Allah tells (you) the Truth, and He shows the (right) Way.
Call them by (the names) of their fathers: that is juster in the sight of Allah but if ye know not their father's (names, call them), your Brothers in faith, or your Mawlas. But there is no blame on you if ye make a mistake therein: (what counts is) the intention of your hearts: and Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
(Surah 33 4-5)

Since your wives have no blood relation to you and they are not property; It is required that they keep their father's last name and maintain their heritage....

For more

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/114624/Husbands%20last%20name
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2537/Husbands%20last%20name

hi tbaba,

i never come across this hadith before. the verse of Quran, is it refering to men or women?. islamic law is not about common sense because common is not common. please be very sure of all Fatwah before posting. but sha i love the topic. keep it up.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by OmoAlata(f): 11:49am On Jan 31, 2013
tbaba1234: Whoever claims to belong to people to whom he has no ties of blood, let him take his place in Hell.”

I'm not a Moslem but I have a question. How does the above text relate to adoption? Do Moslems adopt? I don't know how it is in Nigeria but over here, once you adopt a child, the child has the same rights as your biological kids and either you like it or not e.g. if you split up with the child's mother (if you adopted your wife's child), you are still legally responsible for the child.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by lafuria1(m): 11:54am On Jan 31, 2013
i have always held the believe that the wife must bear her fathers name. when i tell my friends about it, there are always suprised like i just made it up. the op have said it all.

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Hope2015: 11:55am On Jan 31, 2013
Salam alaykum. I found this topic interesting and i'm compelled to make little contributions. Let us not be confused. There is no sin in a woman using her husband name and cannot be interpreted as meaning the wife was born by the husband. It only means she is the wife of the named husband particularly when the word "Mrs" is attached. If the hadith or quran verses quoted are to be adhere to to the latter then women should use exact fathers' names & not even the father's family name or surname because by direct interpretation, the family name is not the father's exact name.

I think the confusion here is largely due to differences in culture interpretation from arabian to english & other cultures like that of nigeria. The arabs will call a name & use word ibn (male) or bint(female)and attach it to father's name e.g. Hassan ibn Alli meaning Hassan the son of Alli. In English such person will be addressed as Master or Mr Hassan Alli. Where a female is involved, it is Miss Hassanat Alli when she is single but after marriage (say to Mr Umar) it becomes Mrs Hassanat Umar. While the first name with Miss meant Hassanat the daughter of Alli the 2nd name with Mrs meant Hassanat the wife of Umar

Even in the Holy Quran, there are two or more instances where some women like the wives of Firhaoun & Lut were mentioned with their husband's name. (Ashiyah the wife of Firhaoun)

So, i think there is nothing bad in calling women by their husbands' names. Wa lahu aalam

Salaam alaykum

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Theloveth(m): 11:57am On Jan 31, 2013
Salam
You dont have to quote them anyways.Just leave them alone and pray they change for better.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by pak: 12:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
Ayee Idris: Salam brother mine. Its easier said than done. I tried to have my father converted as my middle name while adopting his, citing the islamic reasons and because of my certificates, and he said No, its against our "culture". EventuaLly, I had to drop my father's name completely. Most times, where there is a clash between accepted cultural practices and islam doctrines, the former always seems to come up on top.

I totally love your comments and please salute your dad for me, He must be a very reasonable person.

My take is that regardless of religous creed, muslim, christian or pagan, Africa will only progress when we learn to think for ourselves.

We all believe our respective religions descended from God but reality makes us understand that the culture of the region where those religion originates from heavily influence it's practices.

I do not have problems with accepting a foreign religion, its a personal choice but the most important thing is for us to maintain and respect our own indigenous culture and values

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by kheart(m): 12:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
So all dis name change is more of a culture, thanks for dis thread sha.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by manmacho: 12:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
it is so clear in the christaindom, you and your husband becomes one, because you leave your father and mother and two of you becomes one. the husband and wife have the surname of the husband in common

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by muyiwah666(m): 12:44pm On Jan 31, 2013
ameenahz: As-salaam alaykum, brothers and sisters. Obviously, this is an old thread. But i av a question on d same topic n i didnt want 2 start a new thread.
I heard from a friend that our last names should ideally be our father's 1st names cos that was how the names of the sahabahs were listed e.g Umar ibn Khattab(RA)'s son, Abdullah was always called Abdullah ibn Umar not ibn Khattab.
This sounds logical, but it isnt always about what 'sounds' logical, so i want to confirm. Is this true?

Pls i am not a Muslim...but by logical reasoning,people should answer their fathers first name...
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by bolseas(f): 12:44pm On Jan 31, 2013
Omo Alata:

I'm not a Moslem but I have a question. How does the above text relate to adoption? Do Moslems adopt? I don't know how it is in Nigeria but over here, once you adopt a child, the child has the same rights as your biological kids and either you like it or not e.g. if you split up with the child's mother (if you adopted your wife's child), you are still legally responsible for the child.

Your response:

(Surah 33 4-5)

Yes Muslims also adopt. just like the article stated above, the adopted child keeps his or her father's name so that his family lineagae will not end.

@ topic: on my wedding day, the alfa said that i am to keep my father's name but when i got to my husband's family house the Head of the Family said that one no concern them that i am to change my name. my hussy is not stressing me about it. and i am yet to chage the name as i am still thinking of how to combine the names.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by BashToks: 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
Braincheck: Why all these Muslim posts on frontpage And today is not even friday (juma'a) or r u planin a Jihad on NL

RETARD ALERT!!!

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by BashToks: 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2013

R3TARD ALERT!!!

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Anvaller: 12:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
manmacho: it is so clear in the christaindom, you and your husband becomes one, because you leave your father and mother and two of you becomes one. the husband and wife have the surname of the husband in common

There is nothing unclear in this discussion... U here want to argue as if the christian logic makes the most sense but it doesn't. This contradicts the principle of women's right. If a woman wants to keep her father's name for the love of her family or for any other reason whatsoever, she should be able to do so and that is the provision in Islam which is being discussed here.. but there is no such provision for women in xtianity. The culture of adopting the husband's name is a white man's culture they only looked for justification for it in religion and since the white man has brainwashed ppl generally that their culture and religion is perfect, u don't bother questioning some things. If u say u and ur husband become one, sure but u become one in love and not in family lineage otherwise, why do ppl divorce and revert to their maiden names that had been once abandoned... I thought u said they became one when they married... Let's start to think rationally.

And one thing u dont know is that even the white folks these days are tired of all their old culture they sold to u and they are changing, but u unfortunately are still holding up to them blindly. For example, more and more white folks are adopting a simpler form of matrimony called "common law partnership/marriage" which allows conjugal relationship without performing any of the traditional wedding rites. This provides women the right to get married, keep their family names and maintain some other rights depending on what the couple wants. This type of marriage conforms perfectly with marriage in Islam but unfortunately, some muslims dont even know this because of their inability to separate the arabian culture from Islamic religion.

5 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by rbjimoh: 1:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
Omo Alata:

. In Islam, the categories of people you cannot marry, both as a man and woman, are spelt out. Also those you can marry are spelt out. The essence of this limitations is (1) not to forbid for yourself what Allah has made lawful, and(2) not to take unto yourself what Allah has forbidden for you. Therefore, if you adopt a male child and change his surname to yours, thereby absolving him as though he is your biological son, by implication, he cannot marry any woma your real bioligical son cannot marry. By that, Islam says he has been denied or he has denied himself or forbids for himself what Allah has made lawful for him

6 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Anvaller: 1:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
rbjimoh: [color=#006600][/color]. In Islam, the categories of people you cannot marry, both as a man and woman, are spelt out. Also those you can marry are spelt out. The essence of this limitations is (1) not to forbid for yourself what Allah has made lawful, and(2) not to take unto yourself what Allah has forbidden for you. Therefore, if you adopt a male child and change his surname to yours, thereby absolving him as though he is your biological son, by implication, he cannot marry any woma your real bioligical son cannot marry. By that, Islam says he has been denied or he has denied himself or forbids for himself what Allah has made lawful for him

A very good point... and this is because in Islam, God judges every one individually. No one individual's action would have effect on God's judgement on another individual's action. So if a man (an individual) adopts a child (another individual) and gives him his name as if the child was his biological child and which is not, this child may have been technically denied the right mentioned above by rbjimoh U shouldn't take action that infringes on God's judgement on an individual as an individual. The same principle is consistent with the logic in marriage. God judges the husband and wife and even the children as individuals and not as a couple or a family. No good deed or sin of one would affect God's judgement on the other. This is completely contrary to the xtian logic that says the opposite. And also contrary to some muslims that believe a certain amount of prayer can change God's judgement on a sinner after his death.. The only thing that can save any one is if ur good deeds outweighs ur evil deed before ur death. Once u r dead ur chapter is done.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marriage According To The Quran And Sunnah. / Enugu Muslims Celebrating New Mosque (Photos) / Reminder: Purification After Sex (how To Perform Ghusl From Janaba)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.