Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,610 members, 7,801,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University (52706 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / 9 Ways Students Waste Money, Possible Solutions / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Emmy9ite(m): 11:51am On May 11, 2012
@Op..why u dont u develop this, with the assistance of experts, into a cool book. Nice points man, let me add mine,success is directly proportional to hardwork provided prayer is kept constant #Emmy9ite's law of success, this has been scientifically proovd,ur children wil cram it. The ratio of time spent on social networks to time spent on ur books should be 1:9. #IF I HAVE SEEN FURTHER,IT IS BECAUSE I STOOD ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS.....Isaac Newton.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by ajirapsy(m): 11:52am On May 11, 2012
mankand: Brosssssssssssssssssssssss

All theses you laws no fit work for University of Ilorin, You better cram for exams and get the score you need or else you are finished and face Tanke
Hey dude, are you referring to another University of ilorin? I finished from there in 2010. I applied most of the points mentioned by the OP and with God on my side, i was celebrated on our Convocation's day. Don't limit yourself bro. Forget about tanke, i lived there during my time at the school. Those that limited me when i was doing A Levels before i secured admission were all shocked when my result came out. The journey starts from day one my brother. You have to believe you can do it...

2 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Mayflowa(m): 12:10pm On May 11, 2012
I can't agree more with your post. I am a lecturer in one of Nigeria's universities. Even when I knew these in my undergraduate days, I didn't do them because of laziness and I came out with 2.1 sadly!

I want to take permission to use your article on 'guaranteed first class' to do presentation to my students and frame an enlarged one in my office.
I must say say this is a sure-fire method to first-class even for an average intelligent mind!

Each of the nuggets is apt. Each fighting for superiority.

Thank you so much Kandata!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Opoki(m): 12:12pm On May 11, 2012
alaoeri: Never mention that some 1st class are arrange like 4.46 or 4.47 with the help of HOD,exam officer and level advisor change some grade to Α and catapult you to 4.5 1st class.
Yeah, it do happen in some Universities but hardly will u see such in OAU and the most painful aspect is that your CGPA will not even appear on your Certificate.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by queensmith: 12:13pm On May 11, 2012
life_style: Good but Does First Class guarantee success in Life ? undecided

it certainly doesnt guarantee failure! Why spend hundreds of thousands on obtaining a mediocre grade! Aim for the best in everything you! it will never go unrewarded!

as to the advice, the rules to obtaining a first class is no secret. Common sense should tell anybody how and why they can pass with flying colours. Obtain the discipline needed to follow through all your intentions, avoid distractions and keep brilliant friends. It also helps to have a genuine interest in what you are studying, or at least be curious.

1 Like

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Mcleo007(m): 12:21pm On May 11, 2012
All posts have been incisive so far.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 11, 2012
All dis na copy and paste...
Shit don't work in real life nigerian universities!
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Onyenna(m): 12:28pm On May 11, 2012
life_style:

What do you mean there is no God factor ? If you don't believe in God, Keep that to your self... You fall under the minority tongue

Of course one has to pray to God for guidance, protection and wisdom... Even if you believe in God and don't help yourself, what's the use?...some students in the university spend almost all their time in church. We have early morning or evening masses which students can attend in order to meet up with lectures... They choose church meetings over their lectures, forgetting that they are in the university to study...they hardly remember that there's time for everything.... I pray you don't fall into that category.... Peace....
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by drlaykay(m): 12:39pm On May 11, 2012
Sooo gud!I think no 2 is d best step amongst others.I use it nd it realy works.though its not easy in medical skul cos u ve got too much to read.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by peter2012: 12:59pm On May 11, 2012
Nice post kadata. But let summarized all points below:
1) Decision: You MUST decide that you want 1st class.

2) Dedicaton and diligent: Work harder than rest of your colleagues.

3) Focus: do not be distracted by friends, events, etc

4)Interaction: Interact with other people who made first class or are in first class GP so that you can learn other secrets.

5) Prayers: Pray as if you have never read. always pray to God. For instance, if one of the lecturer(s) decide not to award anyone a first class, the no matter how you worked hard, they will never give you. So, what do you do? Pray, simple.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Kadata(m): 1:12pm On May 11, 2012
It's working for many. Ask around.
Imanuelle: All dis na copy and paste...
Shit don't work in real life nigerian universities!
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by saintneo(m): 1:15pm On May 11, 2012
Great write up. However, the only part I never practiced is seeking for past questions. Somehow, I feel past question do not help us test our ability to resolve unknown problems. Only people with true ingenuity are able to tackle unknown problems comfortably.

I recall one of our exam questions in Engineering Economics, my pal the best in the class had access to the past QPs ; however, I was the only able to tackle the problem and get the solution.

Also, in life, there is never going to be a past question paper, we have to derive solutions from past experiences and peoples ' experiences as well, then combine it with our intelligence to create a solution.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by aieromon(m): 1:42pm On May 11, 2012
Bu!!shyt
You didn't say anything about a conducive environment for the learner.Anyways,I didn't do all these and my CGPA was quite impressive.
Make the learning environment conducive and watch the average Nigerian student blossom.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Kadata(m): 1:59pm On May 11, 2012
saintneo: Great write up. However, the only part[b] I never practiced is seeking for past questions. Somehow, I feel past question do not help us test our ability to resolve unknown problems. Only people with true ingenuity are able to tackle unknown problems comfortably.[b/]

I recall one of our exam questions in Engineering Economics, my pal the best in the class had access to the past QPs ; however, I was the only able to tackle the problem and get the solution.

Also, in life, there is never going to be a past question paper, we have to derive solutions from past experiences and peoples ' experiences as well, then combine it with our intelligence to create a solution.

That's quite a point. I was never a fan of past questions in the first semester of my first year until my GPA became 4.50 . Seriously, I wasn't happy. I felt I could have done better. But seriously, what could I have done before then?? What didn't I do?? I went through all the courses at least 3 times before the exam. I was well versed in the subject matter. I foresaw a 5.00 before the examinations. But there is something I didn't do. I didn't go through past questions. I didn't even care if any existed. I felt my 'unguided' studying could give me that GPA. I was wrong.

My brother, life is too short to make all the mistakes yourself. You can stand tall with your efforts alone . But you can only get tall. Past questions is analogous to standing on the shoulders of giants - and you will certainly stand taller.

Past questions exposes weaknesses you never foresaw. In a course with voluminous content as Medicine, you cannot - I repeat- you cannot take EVERY subject matter with equal importance. There is too much information around too many voluminous textbooks. Past questions then become necessary to put you on track.

No matter how much you know, performance is not applauded until results show for it. Now tell me between that guy who had the past questions and scored higher and you that ACTUALLY solved the question, who had the higher applause??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by DareDanielKjw: 2:02pm On May 11, 2012
Mayflowa: I can't agree more with your post. I am a lecturer in one of Nigeria's universities. Even when I knew these in my undergraduate days, I didn't do them because of laziness and I came out with 2.1 sadly!

I want to take permission to use your article on 'guaranteed first class' to do presentation to my students and frame an enlarged one in my office.
I must say say this is a sure-fire method to first-class even for an average intelligent mind!

Each of the nuggets is apt. Each fighting for superiority.

Thank you so much Kandata!
Yes i believe in this method sir but it's only God that can help
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by dabrake(m): 2:34pm On May 11, 2012
sympathy for any student ignorant of these
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 11, 2012
Dare Daniel Kjw:
Yes i believe in this method sir but it's only God that can help
who says?
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by talk2mike(m): 3:07pm On May 11, 2012
Linusclark: You are a man of great erudition...tnx...remain blessed!
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Johnsinia(m): 3:17pm On May 11, 2012
Brilliant op,
but i must state dat 'health is success'.stay healthy.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by ortopazz(m): 3:19pm On May 11, 2012
mehn kadata man really i nid 2 see u! We'v got a test 2mao and am on2u,
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Kadata(m): 3:35pm On May 11, 2012
ortopazz: mehn kadata man really i nid 2 see u! We'v got a test 2mao and am on2u,

Sounds serious. Ohk- I have some tablets I need to pick up this evening. By 7p.m, I should be in my room. You can check by then
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Tingles(m): 4:05pm On May 11, 2012
There are no general rules of success; these rules depend on the school, the course you are studying, the lecturers and YOU. Man, know thyself and practice what works for you.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by IkeJAH(m): 4:10pm On May 11, 2012
These tips are great nd fulfilling.let me say u'were a first class material.meeeeeen,i never had this tips while in school.
For some of us into PG/Masters,i
think ur tips would greatly help.
@op,u're great.keep it up.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by kachikapor(m): 4:48pm On May 11, 2012
@OP...very spot on and well articulated. And for those who think some lecturers may just want to ruin your dreams of graduating with a first class, let me just say...that aint true.

These lecturers are able to tell when a student has put in the best efforts to get the best results. Back when I was in school, I was privileged to get to know some of the lecturers in whose course I scored the highest marks and they all had one thing in common: even though they take 'tips' in cash and kind from the willing students, they will give you enough marks to score higher than those they know have studied hard.

You can following these steps, add God to it and you won't go wrong.
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by lawak: 6:00pm On May 11, 2012
well articulated article. This has simply rekindled my desire to go back to school and if not for any other thing;atleast, prove a point to myself. thx once more
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Cleverley(m): 6:12pm On May 11, 2012
I concul with the OP, with few additions. . . The sch must nt be state univ, d person needs both prayers nd social interactions, above all financial motivation to avoid distractions if u knw wht i mean?
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by purpinkx(m): 6:27pm On May 11, 2012
lol he completely omitted the sorting part ... Soundz like Nigerian film to me grin
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by saintneo(m): 6:43pm On May 11, 2012
Thanks for your reply. Past questions review is not the same as building on other peoples experiences.
Kadata:

That's quite a point. I was never a fan of past questions in the first semester of my first year until my GPA became 4.50 . Seriously, I wasn't happy. I felt I could have done better. But seriously, what could I have done before then?? What didn't I do?? I went through all the courses at least 3 times before the exam. I was well versed in the subject matter. I foresaw a 5.00 before the examinations. But there is something I didn't do. I didn't go through past questions. I didn't even care if any existed. I felt my 'unguided' studying could give me that GPA. I was wrong.

My brother, life is too short to make all the mistakes yourself. You can stand tall with your efforts alone . But you can only get tall. Past questions is analogous to standing on the shoulders of giants - and you will certainly stand taller.

Past questions exposes weaknesses you never foresaw. In a course with voluminous content as Medicine, you cannot - I repeat- you cannot take EVERY subject matter with equal importance. There is too much information around too many voluminous textbooks. Past questions then become necessary to put you on track.

No matter how much you know, performance is not applauded until results show for it. Now tell me between that guy who had the past questions and scored higher and you that ACTUALLY solved the question, who had the higher applause??
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Ejiekwu1(m): 7:23pm On May 11, 2012
@ KADATA, if you are not a first class material then you are not qualify to give us the nine points you have given. some of those points doesn't work. It takes a really first class material to tell us what it takes to make a first class
Re: 9 Ways To Make A First Class In The University by Ugosample(m): 7:23pm On May 11, 2012
What if someone started with a CGPA of 2.8, can he still make it? Anyway, this is a timely piece of information.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC 2013 May/June Examination Timetable. / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? / Fresh Graduate Wore "Cheated In Every Exam" T-shirt (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.