Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help (13127 Views)

INEC Fixes Dates For Edo And Ondo Governorship Elections / 18 RECs To Be Used For Ondo Governorship Election – Jega / Intrigues As ACN Picks Akeredolu As Ondo Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 9:07am On May 11, 2012
Jittery that the ACN was on a ruthless mission to dethrone him, Mr. Mimiko has scampered to Abuja for help

The political permutations for the forthcoming governorship election in Ondo state has taken a new dimension as incumbent Governor, Olusegun Mimiko , has approached President Goodluck Jonathan for assistance, sources within the presidency and the state government have told PREMIUM TIMES.

Though Mr. Mimiko is a member of the Labour Party on whose platform he was elected, a source close to the governor said the growing influence of the opposition Action Congress of Nigeria is causing the former federal minister intense political migraine.

Jittery that the ACN, which has grown remarkably and has continued to swallow decampees from both the LP and the PDP, was on a ruthless mission to dethrone him, Mr. Mimiko has scampered to Abuja for help.

Usually reliable Aso Rock sources said the governor had reached out to the president, asking for help as the ACN troop, led by an increasingly ruthless former Governor Bola Tinubu, advance toward Akure, the Ondo State capital, for a massive political assault on Mr. Mimiko.

“I can confirm to you that Mimiko sought the President’s help for his reelection,” said a presidency source who sought anonymity because he had no permission to discuss the matter with journalists. “He is very concerned at the way the ACN is charging at him and he believes he needed a stronger force to stop the party.”

Seeking Jonathan’s help

Seeking the President’s help may not be unconnected with the support Mr. Jonathan enjoyed from the Ondo governor prior to the 2011 Presidential election, our sources explained

Mr. Mimiko, though a member of a different party, actively campaigned for the election of the President. His support ensured that Mr. Jonathan garnered 79 per cent of the votes cast in the state during the Presidential election.

A source explained that Mr. Mimiko sees this as payback time by the President.

“Governor Mimiko believes he can secure Mr. Jonathan’s support for the election; either to return to the PDP or ask the PDP in the state (Ondo) to support him for the election,” he said.

Mr. Mimiko could not be reached to comment for this story. His spokesperson, Eni Akinsola, did not answer or return calls to his mobile telephone. He also did not respond to text messages sent to him by our reporter.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that Mr. Jonathan is well disposed to helping Mr. Mimiko.

How that will be done has however not been decided. Those briefed on the matter say the president might appeal to the Ondo State chapter of the PDP not to field a candidate for the election.

An alternative would be for the party to field a weak candidate for the election, and then discreetly instruct party leaders to work for the governor’s re-election. Strong candidates with ambition to run, we are told, would be summoned to the presidential villa and then promised federal appointments.

Our sources say Mr. Mimiko has offered to return to the PDP after the election and then begin the process of rebuilding it into a formidable platform it once was in the state.

Mr. Jonathan’s reason for wanting to lend a helping hand, we are told, is not entirely altruistic. It has to do with self-survival. He is mulling a second term in 2015, and to shore up his electoral fortune, it is important that the ACN is not allowed to have control over the entire South-West region.

Ondo is currently the only state not in the grip of the ACN.

“You know the ACN already controls five of the south west states. Ondo is the only one remaining. President Jonathan does not trust the ACN enough to know what direction they’ll go in the 2015 elections, so it’s in his best interest that Ondo remains away from their grip,” our source said.

No way for Mimiko in PDP

Contrary to some reports, PREMIUM TIMES learnt that Mr. Mimiko would not be returning to the Peoples Democratic Party, his former party, before the next governorship election.

The reasons for this, according to sources familiar with the matter, is the level of bitterness and enmity between the governor and top members of the PDP in his state.

Mr. Mimiko’s decision to quit the PDP prior to the 2007 elections was as a result of the fall-out he had with the then PDP governor of the state, Olusegun Agagu. Since emerging governor however, Mr. Mimiko had rendered the PDP increasingly irrelevant in the state. Mr. Agagu could not win a senatorial election under the PDP in the 2011 elections as the labour party candidate defeated him.

Ayodele Fadaka, the Director of Publicity of the PDP in the state believes that Mr. Mimiko would not have an easy ride into the PDP.

“There are pending disciplinary issues against him (Mr. Mimiko) in the PDP. If he chooses to come in today, it might not be impossible he will be made to answer the issues,” he said

“What is the sense in him coming into the party today only for him to be expelled tomorrow for gross indiscipline,” the PDP spokesman asked rhetorically while explaining that neither the national leadership of the party nor the President could foist Mr. Mimiko on the Ondo state PDP.

The Ondo election

Following the announcement by the Independent National Electoral Commission that the governorship election in Ondo state would be held on October 20, the major political parties have been involved in intense campaigns with various aspirants emerging.

While the PDP, which Mr. Mimiko defeated to emerge governor, remains a factor in the political equation of the state, the major challenge to the governor’s re-election bid appears to be the ACN.

The ACN which controls five of the six states in the South West region of the country already has trained its sight on capturing the state, mobilizing its six governors and national leaders for the all-important assignment.

Over 10 aspirants have emerged as aspirants on the party’s platform, many of them decampees from the Labour party.

These include Ajayi Boroface, a serving senator; Olu Agunloye, a former Defense minister; and Olaiya Oni, former chairman of the LP in the state.

With the ACN increasingly growing in strength in the state, Mr. Mimiko may be taking his best action by seeking the support of President Jonathan, our sources said.

However the PDP in his state appear determined to scuttle his ambition.

“He cannot just stroll over to the PDP, I can assure you of that,” Mr. Fadaka said.

http://premiumtimesng.com/politics/5034-mimiko_turns_to_jonathan_for_help.html
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 9:16am On May 11, 2012
So much for the ACN and LP working together.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Demdem(m): 9:18am On May 11, 2012
any alliance with the Killer party (PDP) is not wanted in the SW. Mimiko isnt that bad a governor but seeking help from the Retardeen's party may eventually cost him his seat. He should thread cautiously.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 9:32am On May 11, 2012
Demdem: any alliance with the Killer party (PDP) is not wanted in the SW. Mimiko isnt that bad a governor but seeking help from the Retardeen's party may eventually cost him his seat. He should thread cautiously.

My exact thoughts. I was of the impression that Mimiko and the Ondo LP were in alliance with the ACN. Apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, like the article rightly stated, he's very unlikely to return to the PDP, given his animosity to the likes of Agagu. Yet he doesn't want to cede control of the state to the ACN. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Ufeolorun(m): 10:35am On May 11, 2012
He surely needs the Do-nothing Abuja man because he (Mimiko) is obviously surrounded,Mimiko seriously need to mi-mi-ko (breathe into) is political career lol.
Though Acn hasn't lived up to expectation,I still believe their regional integration rhetoric so I want them to win Ondo.

Prof. Ajayi Boroffice Would be a great candidate for the Acn.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by olempe(m): 5:07pm On May 11, 2012
Demdem: any alliance with the Killer party (PDP) is not wanted in the SW. Mimiko isnt that bad a governor but seeking help from the Retardeen's party may eventually cost him his seat. He should thread cautiously.

You just took the words from my mouth. I live in Ondo State capital and I follow the trend. SMH for Gov. Mimiko...
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by PaulJohn1: 5:34pm On May 11, 2012
ACN, democracy for justice. Never Knew they can go as far as this.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by molet: 5:59pm On May 11, 2012
I will want the great people of ondo state to think wisely. They should not join acn becos other west are acn. Becos I won't like them to fall under's authority. I feel mimiko is very strong and a known mimiko is better than an unknown tinubu. It is only Lagos that I know is working other sw state are just using the name. Even the Lagos itself is being run by tinubu becos he owns everything. I have always known ondo state for doing their own thing which pays them. When ondo was a pdp state obasanjo and agagu exploited us( sharing ondo state boundary for ogun state; olokola). This time tinubu will claim all Water ways in ondo state all in the name of ondo state. Ondo people shine your eye well well once una don vote na till after 4 years oooooo. No let outsider come Dey teach una Wetin to do

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Kolababa: 6:03pm On May 11, 2012
But the same outsider Mimiko ran to whrn he was rigged out by Agagu and PDP.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by lagcity(m): 6:04pm On May 11, 2012
I am surprised that Gov. Mimiko can't read the writing on the wall. Pres. Jonathan can't do him any good. Is it not the same Jonathan who ate Amala and Ewedu in Tinubu's palace just last week? Mimiko is on a long thing I swear. grin
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by passionate88: 6:20pm On May 11, 2012
LIES.... All lies... Acn propaganda at work..

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by dayokanu(m): 6:37pm On May 11, 2012
I would advise Mimiko in his own interest not to touch the PDP at all or even ally with them

Cos Tinubu and ACN would simply bundle him together with OBJ, Bode tewonde george, fayose, Alao-Akala and other symbol of failure in the SW
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Fitted(m): 6:57pm On May 11, 2012
passionate88: LIES.... All lies... Acn propaganda at work..

What ever u ACN maggot like u should do or say them now before the d day. Our Iڪ α̩̩̩̩̥ strong man
Master of simplicity and we the Good people of Ondo State will not let him down for any dictator
Ok. ONDO STATE α̩̩̩̩̥ PLACE OF PRIDE
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by lordpsyko: 7:17pm On May 11, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] Let the better side win!!!
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 11, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I R O K O Joo GBA si BEEEEEEEEEEEE. This is just a propaganda by ACN and it will not work. 2013 is sure for Iroko. IPADABO SURE. Can someone tell us what ACN has done in Osun Ipinle Omoluabi (Omugo people) If BOROface is sure of himself why did he contested last election to via |LP platform, He is been deceive by TINUJEGUDU Baale AGBALOWOMERI.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by EkoIle1: 7:28pm On May 11, 2012
His days as the governor of Ondo state are numbered.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by ojochidem(m): 7:34pm On May 11, 2012
This will really be an interesting political battle. Let's wait and see.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by akigbemaru: 7:42pm On May 11, 2012
Presidency can't help mimiko. One term is enough for you. We want to see ACN governor in Ondo comes 2015. Let me dust my old tape, I got this Sam Cook song. 'I was born by the river, in a little town, I know I know, Change is coming in 2015 in Ondo State. Sam Cook R.I.P.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by naijaking1: 7:56pm On May 11, 2012
Mimiko doesn't need to worry, because the corrupt Jusctice Salami is gone
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 11, 2012
molet: I will want the great people of ondo state to think wisely. They should not join acn becos other west are acn. Becos I won't like them to fall under's authority. I feel mimiko is very strong and a known mimiko is better than an unknown tinubu. It is only Lagos that I know is working other sw state are just using the name. Even the Lagos itself is being run by tinubu becos he owns everything. I have always known ondo state for doing their own thing which pays them. When ondo was a pdp state obasanjo and agagu exploited us( sharing ondo state boundary for ogun state; olokola). This time tinubu will claim all Water ways in ondo state all in the name of ondo state. Ondo people shine your eye well well once una don vote na till after 4 years oooooo. No let outsider come Dey teach una Wetin to do

Power should be shared. Moreso, change is a good thing. Anywya, Mimiko never lived up to expectations. He failed
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Kolababa: 8:29pm On May 11, 2012
This naijaking1 is daft. Justice Salami is corrupt to you because PDP lost in Osun and Ekiti. Was it not thru the same court with the same Tinubu's forensic experts Mimiko won the election petition. And I thought you are a graduate.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Honadeadek(m): 8:53pm On May 11, 2012
naijaking1: Mimiko doesn't need to worry, because the corrupt Jusctice Salami is gone
It is quite disheartening that U don't follow National issues bt just propagate wat U re fed with.
Is it not d same Justice Ayo salami dat gave him his mandate? But for ur information Justice Ayo Salami is back and beta as he is duelly reinstated by d NJC

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Yeske2(m): 9:36pm On May 11, 2012
Mimiko is a born coward who can't slug it out with Tinubu.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by aljharem(m): 9:39pm On May 11, 2012
Mimiko should make sure Tinubu does not win Ondo state.

The thief want to monopolize power to himself,

If he cannot humble himself and talk to Mimiko/LP to form a collation or something, then he should forget Ondo.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by delvinmaya(m): 10:54pm On May 11, 2012
i laugh whem people hail acn, yet only fashola is working while aregbeshola(the only governor who resembles billy the goat)junket around calling for ministry of the north,fayemi seems to lack the ability to comprehend governance. This seems to be the bane of most acn governors. Am no mimiko apologist but the truth is dat he will most definitely win. He does not even need to frat with pdp.
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by papatosibe: 11:07pm On May 11, 2012
Eko Ile: His days as the governor of Ondo state are numbered.

Your days on NL are numbered.

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by derbywarls(m): 11:23pm On May 11, 2012
An iroko cannot make ą̸̨ forest.u aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ an ingrate.we all k ♓☺w your antecedent.you betrayed baba ajasin,u betrayed baba adefarati,even at the eve wen you decamped baba still have his trust I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ you.you betrayed agagu.now what ¶§ good for the goose ¶§ also good for the gander.its payback time.we knw you aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ ą̸̨ PDP man I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ disguise and never will we allow that I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ SW.you aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ ą̸̨ fox I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ sheep's clothing.you will still account for all the allocations you received.you cant fool us with Ūя̲̅ bombastic projects that has no direct impact on the citizens.turned ondo state into Ūя̲̅ family property.changed the states properties into Ūя̲̅ party color.nobody has the monopoly of wisdom.the future ¶§ now.ondo state pple.SHINE ŪЯ̲̅ EYES

1 Like

Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Delafruita(m): 11:27pm On May 11, 2012
i think mimiko started well.cant say much about now as its been over a year i was in ondo last.i think his mistake was his attempt at creating a structure in isolation of other powers.he wanted to create his own cabal and dictate the pace while stiffening out all dissenting voices no matter their grouse.thats why he lost olaiya
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Detongue: 12:24am On May 12, 2012
ACN is mere propangada, why should Mimko lose sleep over ACN dat hv shown dat dey re a party of thugs. What hv dey to show, even Fashola dat ppl re hailing, what has he done in his 2nd term. Just a stooge. GEJ dat has been called all sort of names is still d man dat holds d A's. If Mimiko must win he should know hw to play d cards. ACN has shown dat dey re a party without respect 4 constitutional authority and nobody wants to identify with thugs
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Beaf: 1:39am On May 12, 2012
akigbemaru: Presidency can't help mimiko. One term is enough for you. We want to see ACN governor in Ondo comes 2015. Let me dust my old tape, I got this Sam Cook song. 'I was born by the river, in a little town, I know I know, Change is coming in 2015 in Ondo State. Sam Cook R.I.P.

You mean native doctors listen to Sam Cook? Strange World indeed! shocked
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by Nobody: 2:03am On May 12, 2012
molet: I will want the great people of ondo state to think wisely. They should not join acn becos other west are acn. Becos I won't like them to fall under's authority. I feel mimiko is very strong and a known mimiko is better than an unknown tinubu. It is only Lagos that I know is working other sw state are just using the name. Even the Lagos itself is being run by tinubu becos he owns everything. I have always known ondo state for doing their own thing which pays them. When ondo was a pdp state obasanjo and agagu exploited us( sharing ondo state boundary for ogun state; olokola). This time tinubu will claim all Water ways in ondo state all in the name of ondo state. Ondo people shine your eye well well once una don vote na till after 4 years oooooo. No let outsider come Dey teach una Wetin to do
exactly the way a "GEJ"/retardeen will think
Re: Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help by SamIkenna: 3:40am On May 12, 2012
Maybe I'm wrong, I thought winning implied getting more votes than your opponent. What is GEJ going to do for him - cast one vote? He should seek for his people's support rather than Abuja connection. I dont know much about Mimiko but both his name and his party sounds kind of nice to me and if I were to choose between Tinubu and Mimiko I'll go for the younger and more vibrant Mimiko. However, this his recent race to Abuja makes me feel like maybe hes not doing enough in Ondo to secure a second term.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gunmen Kill DIG Abubakar Ningi In Kano / Heineken Lokpobiri Visits Farmlands In Bayelsa (photos) / Oshiomhole Working Against Buhari’s Re-election – APC Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.