Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:56 PM

Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? (8644 Views)

Should Hijabs Be Allowed In NYSC Camps? / No Wearing Of Hijab In NYSC Camps, DG Insists / Ebola: NYSC Suspends Orientation In Six States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by PHIPEX(m): 1:26pm On May 11, 2012
I pray this gets to the front page but if it doesn't am sure someone will read this. Ordinarily, this should be in the Education section but I believe its better here(politics section) since I consider it a policy oriented issue. This is not a call for the abolition of NYSC but a call to optimise the inherent opportunities it affords. I have been to the NYSC orientation camp and I can say that beyond the fun in it which most of us had, the programme is a failure in term of what I and some other people thought it should be.

The NYSC to the best of my understanding is the largest gathering of the Nigerian youths under a single umbrella (over 50,000 youths)every 4 months of the year for about 21days. Even though the programme itself is meant to be a time to serve ones Fatherland but am curious as to why such a golden opportunity of having young men and women who will take control of the nation's leadership in the nearest future be wasted in term of creating a new culture and orientation in them. For those who have seen the program of event, the only aspect that is novel to the youths is usually the Military drills and parade, the rest are thesame things we the young graduates have come across in our days as an undergraduate. But for the presence of the militarymen around, most youth corpers prefer to loiter while in camp because there is nothing new in the program. The consequences are usually the urgly stories that come out of the camps because most corpers are either bored or prefer to exert their energy elsewhere.

I recognise that the NYSC leadership has just introduced skill acquisition opportunities in the program this year but that is not enough, it is also not enough to call professional bodies for us to join. The Nation is currently in crisis and most of the actors are youths some of them went through these orientation camps, will it not be proper to fashion out a more educative and change of behaviour oriented programs that will ensure that when these youths leave camp after 21days, they will become morally oriented to help confront the society challenges?
1. Will it be out of place to invite successful men and captains of industries in the country to the Youth camps to help inspire the youths to aspire to greater heights?

2.What will it look like to see the likes of Wale Soyinkas, Chimamandas, 2face and very many other "idols" get closer to the young graduates and help in correcting our mentality of getting rich quick at any cost or taking to violence at the slightest provocation?

3.Is it impossible to make the NYSC orientation camps look like a mini national confab where intellectual youths could offer their opinions and ideas for the progress of the country?

4.Where is the place of the National Orientation Agency in NYSC?

Our leaders past have all squandered the opportunity to use our enormous material resources for Nigeria's good, if the present complement them by wasting this great opportunities to change the mindset of the youths being the country's human resources then by the long awaited 20'2020, when we would have taken control of the leadership of the country, Nigeria could be a pariah in the world. This is because, there may never be another opportunity to gather the youths together again in the manner of NYSC till they become leaders of the country.

I hope whoever knows the people responsible for planning the NYSC program of event will do something about this. Opinions are also solicited here to help the Corpers get better.

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Alumnus: 1:54pm On May 11, 2012
Thats a true talk but will they listen? Very soon our Lawmakers will set up a probe panel to probe NYSC officials cos thats their new stylegrin grin Great opportunities being wasted for lack of vision. The camps are called orientation camps but the youths now go there to have fun.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Alumnus: 2:23pm On May 11, 2012
PHIPEX: I pray this gets to the front page but if it doesn't am sure someone will read this. Ordinarily, this should be in the Education section but I believe its better here(politics section) since I consider it a policy oriented issue. This is not a call for the abolishion of NYSC but a call to optimise the inherent opprotunities it affords. I have been to the NYSC orientation camp and I can say that beyond the fun in it which most of us had, the programme is a failure in term of what I and some other people thought it should be.

The NYSC to the best of my understanding is the largest gathering of the Nigerians youth under a single umbrella every 4 months of the year for about 21days. Even though the programme itself is meant to be a time to serve ones Fatherland but am curious as to why such a golden opportunity of having young men and women who will take control of the nation's leadership in the nearest future be wasted interm of creating a new culture and orientation in them. For those who have seen the program of event, the only aspect that is novel to the youth is usually the Military drills and parade, the rest are thesame things we the young graduates have come across in our days as an undergraduate. But for the presence of the militarymen around, most youth corppers prefare to loiter while in camp because there is nothing new in the program. The consequences are usually the urgly stories that come out of the camps because most corppers are either bored or prefer to exert their energy elsewhere.

I recognise that the NYSC leadership has just introduced skill acquisition opportunities in the program this year but that is not enough, it is also not enough to call professional bodies for us to join. The Nation is currently in crisis and most of the actors are youths some of them went through these orientation camps, will it not be proper to fashion out a more educative and change of behaviour oriented programs that will ensure that when these youths leave camp after 21days, they will become morally oriented to help confront the society challenges?
1. Will it be out of place to invite successful men and captains of industries in the country to the Youth camps to help inspire the youths to aspire to greater heights?

2.What will it look like to see the likes of Wale Soyinkas, Chimamadas, 2face Oluwaseun Osewa grin grin and very many other "idols" get closer to the young graduates and help in correcting our mentality of getting rich quick at any cost or taking to violence at the slightest provocation?

3.Is it impossible to make the NYSC orientation camps look like a mini national confab where intellectual youths could offer their opinions and ideas for the progress of the country?

Our leaders past have all squandered the opportunity to use our enormous material resources for Nigeria's good, if the present complement them by wasting this great opportunities to change the mindset of the youths being the country's human resources then by the long awaited 20'2020, when we would have taken control of the leadership of the country, Nigeria could be a pariah in the world. This is because, there may never be another opportunity to gather the youths together again in the manner of NYSC till they become leaders of the country.

I hope whoever knows the people responsible for planning the NYSC program of event will do something about this. Opinions are also solicited here to help the Corppers get better.

Checkout the bolded Phipex grin

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by texazzpete(m): 3:07pm On May 11, 2012
PHIPEX:
2.What will it look like to see the likes of Wale Soyinkas, Chimamadas, 2face and very many other "idols" get closer to the young graduates and help in correcting our mentality of getting rich quick at any cost or taking to violence at the slightest provocation?

2face Idibia?!

grin
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by MrGlobe(m): 3:47pm On May 11, 2012
[b]NYSC should be scrapped completely. [/b]It has overstayed its welcome. The federal govt should by now begin to distance itself from sponsoring all these petty schemes like NYSC and Pilgrimage. It is waste of govt funds. Integration my foot! How can you waste an adults full one year when his mates are always working and planning their lives elsewhere? What has NYSC achieved so far?

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by owobokiri(m): 3:55pm On May 11, 2012
Great points, but as usual they wont listen. NYSC Officials are busy scrambling for the juicest of babes in camp.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 11, 2012
PHIPEX: I pray this gets to the front page but if it doesn't am sure someone will read this. Ordinarily, this should be in the Education section but I believe its better here(politics section) since I consider it a policy oriented issue. This is not a call for the abolishion of NYSC but a call to optimise the inherent opprotunities it affords. I have been to the NYSC orientation camp and I can say that beyond the fun in it which most of us had, the programme is a failure in term of what I and some other people thought it should be.

The NYSC to the best of my understanding is the largest gathering of the Nigerian youths under a single umbrella every 4 months of the year for about 21days. Even though the programme itself is meant to be a time to serve ones Fatherland but am curious as to why such a golden opportunity of having young men and women who will take control of the nation's leadership in the nearest future be wasted interm of creating a new culture and orientation in them. For those who have seen the program of event, the only aspect that is novel to the youth is usually the Military drills and parade, the rest are thesame things we the young graduates have come across in our days as an undergraduate. But for the presence of the militarymen around, most youth corpers prefare to loiter while in camp because there is nothing new in the program. The consequences are usually the urgly stories that come out of the camps because most corpers are either bored or prefer to exert their energy elsewhere.

2.What will it look like to see the likes of Wale Soyinkas, Chimamadas, 2face and very many other "idols" get closer to the young graduates and help in correcting our mentality of getting rich quick at any cost or taking to violence at the slightest provocation?

I hope whoever knows the people responsible for planning the NYSC program of event will do something about this. Opinions are also solicited here to help the Corpers get better.
*Fell from the chair*
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by PHIPEX(m): 4:00pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

2face Idibia?!

grin

My mind tell me say this name go bring wahala but I no listen, abeg pardon me grin grin
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by PHIPEX(m): 4:02pm On May 11, 2012
Alumnus: Thats a true talk but will they listen? Very soon our Lawmakers will set up a probe panel to probe NYSC officials cos thats their new stylegrin grin Great opportunities being wasted for lack of vision. The camps are called orientation camps but the youths now go there to have fun.
grin grin grin
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Glowealth: 4:02pm On May 11, 2012
Nigerian leadership has neva bn about what will benefit d ppl but hw dy cn steal..who cn scrap d nysc program..frm d top 2 d least,who is nt stealin al in d name of nysc?d allowie,d uniform,feedin in camp,etc.its pple dt r makin massiv benefits nd stealin @d same tym..

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Seunakj(m): 4:05pm On May 11, 2012
Though as it is said that NYSC scheme is for intergration of youths and to enhance relationship, peace and tranquility among Nigerian youths. The role of scheme cannot be overemphasised. It has helped alot in the sense that it allows to learn from others' culture, traditon and behaviours. I did my National service in Sokoto state.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by sammbudy(m): 4:13pm On May 11, 2012
That is §ø true. Only God knows ​W̶̲̥̅̊ђǝrǝ they all sat down to think about this new teaching scheme. It's just §ø §ø anoying. Н̲̅Ơ̴̴͡ώ do they expect ‎​♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ to sppend o̲̣̥п̥̥̲̣̣̣̥ǝ̥̥ whole year ‎​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ a primary school,Н̲̅Ơ̴̴͡ώ will I​'ve a working experience ‎​I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ ♏Ɣ field. They should better look into this their selfish scheme again.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by olempe(m): 4:27pm On May 11, 2012
Mr. Globe:
[b]NYSC should be scrapped completely. [/b]It has overstayed its welcome. The federal govt should by now begin to distance itself from sponsoring all these petty schemes like NYSC and Pilgrimage. It is waste of govt funds. Integration my foot! How can you waste an adults full one year when his mates are always working and planning their lives elsewhere? What has NYSC achieved so far?

Word!! But I wouldn't advocate the scrapping of the scheme completely. Government only need to refocus her attention on how to make it better. Some folks got jobs via the scheme and they're happy about it. The government have missed her way, we shouldn't miss ours.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by asoebi(m): 4:46pm On May 11, 2012
@ Poster, Why 2 face naa abi you want make naija population increase beyond resource & space before 2020 ni grin grin

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 11, 2012
Do you think they don't know how to improve the situations of things in this country?the question is,why won't they make it better?

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by kaiter: 5:08pm On May 11, 2012
Great points, but as usual they wont listen. [img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Maxymilliano(m): 5:43pm On May 11, 2012
@ Poster, endeavoqv to this send this to myviews@Punchng.com or views@thenationonlineng.net. It will get published in the aforementioned dailies but include your name and address
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by ITbomb(m): 5:50pm On May 11, 2012
yea 2face , don't u see what goes on in those bushes around.
2face should orient us on how to manage 3 babes.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Strongfaze(m): 5:53pm On May 11, 2012
Temistatics 007: Do you think they don't know how to improve the situations of things in this country?the question is,why won't they make it better?
. Bcuz once they make it better, that would be the end of the Road for them. Infact Maurice Iwu said on t.v that itz unfortunate that in Nigeria, IGNORANCE is used as a TOOL.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by PHIPEX(m): 6:09pm On May 11, 2012
Maxymilliano: @ Poster, endeavoqv to this send this to myviews@Punchng.com or views@thenationonlineng.net. It will get published in the aforementioned dailies but include your name and address

I would have loved to do that but NYSC byelaw forbids Corpers from talking to the press
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by AdeniyiA(m): 6:18pm On May 11, 2012
eh! 2face?! u wan introduce ' PREGNOLOGY' as orientation course? abeg no corrupt our corpers
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by automatenigeria: 6:33pm On May 11, 2012

Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by osifred(m): 6:55pm On May 11, 2012
As a serving corp member while in camp ¶ have alwayz asked myself wht is the need of this so called oreintation camp? The only reason ¶ could come up with is it is an avenue to siphone the commonwealth of Nigerians.

Like NYSC itself the oreintation has lost it values cos under normal conditions everything we need to know in the oreintation camp can be handled or obtained in the university.

Why not post corper to their state of of redployment or their PPA straight away as obtainable in some countries which by so doin wil save the nature some amount of money which was suppose to carter for the corpers while in camp.

You might want to disagree with M̶̲̥̅Ƹ on the above but trust M̶̲̥̅Ƹ there is nothin useful abt the camp cos the issue of integratin with pple from other state before postin them to their various PPA has already been handled in the university as we get to mingle with pple from other states while in school. The issue of pple can acquire skills 2ru †ђξ recent introduction of skill acquisition in camp is also another means of defrauding the nation as nobody can exactly get any tangible skil from it. They taught fishing fishin in camp without a fish pond, fixing of computers without any computer to use for practical, they taugh us how to make soap with materials that U̶̲̥̅̊ can't use to make soaps that wil be competitive in the market.

The problem of nysc is too much D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ shld jst scrap the scheme. Give graduate like 200k (from †ђξ federal allowance) to start somthing afta skol.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by omartins(m): 9:07pm On May 11, 2012
Skill acquisition introduce which you have to pay for their books and certificate before you can attend their class? Just a waste of time. NYSC ORIENTATION CAMP! THE THREE LONGEST WEEK OF MY LIFE!
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Montalo(m): 9:08pm On May 11, 2012
texazzpete:

2face Idibia?!

grin
Yea! U read right..2 teach baby manufacturin..
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by gmolen(m): 9:42pm On May 11, 2012
Nice post Phipex my man. The 3 weeks orientatn camp is now making our youths worse off rather than be reformed. Many guys spend mst of their time drinkng at mami, while odas hunt 4 girls 2 sleep wit. During my time in camp, pple were caught in d sex act, maried ladies inclusive. There is an urgent need 2 make the youth camp an orientatn camp indeed.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by PHIPEX(m): 10:05pm On May 11, 2012
gmolen: Nice post Phipex my man. The 3 weeks orientatn camp is now making our youths worse off rather than be reformed. Many guys spend mst of their time drinkng at mami, while odas hunt 4 girls 2 sleep wit. During my time in camp, pple were caught in d sex act, maried ladies inclusive. There is an urgent need 2 make the youth camp an orientatn camp indeed.

Where has thou been? 9c to meet you here grin
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by igahdavid(m): 10:19pm On May 11, 2012
Nice write up. But 2face?
Corpers go born like 5 before end of there service year
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by adim2(m): 10:57pm On May 11, 2012
NYSC... a place that is meant to educate and inculcate knowledge of nation building to our youths is the pit of sexual consumption to our youths. can u imagine the programmes that have little or no value to nation building are the ones that receives lots of sponsors from out multi national companies. example Mr macho n Miss big bold n beautiful was sponsored by Airtel while MTN sponsored mr & miss MTN. tummy tummy sponsored miss hot legs while Eco bank sponsored mr & mrs NYSC.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by tayoccu(m): 11:11pm On May 11, 2012
In my honest opinion the nysc scheme is totally useless, its just an avenue for some faceless rogues to enrich themselves.
The scheme is sadistic, only policies that will make corpers miserable get implemented( eg the compulsory teaching policy)
,The ones that favor d corpers ( the proposal by d immediate past D.G to
pay corpers #50,000 alowee) get swept under the carpet.
The scheme should be scrapped, and replaced with a one year internship program (like the guys in the medical line pass through)
That way graduates will acquire work experience relevant to their chosen fields, and still contribute their quota to d economic growth of nigeria.
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Alumnus: 11:12pm On May 11, 2012
igahdavid: Nice write up. But[b] 2face?[/b]
Corpers go born like 5 before end of there service year

Montalo: Yea! U read right..2 teach baby manufacturin..

automatenigeria: Tuface.............I no fit laugh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/935484/smart-building-automation

ITbomb: yea 2face , don't u see what goes on in those bushes around.
2face should orient us on how to manage 3 babes.

aso ebi: @ Poster, Why 2 face naa abi you want make naija population increase beyond resource & space before 2020 ni grin grin

texazzpete:

2face Idibia?!

grin

See as this guy use his own hand to tarnish his image, now his name has become an object of joke. Succeess without character can be deadly!
Re: Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? by Nobody: 12:07am On May 12, 2012
I'm presently a corper. Presently serving. A month b4 I was supposed to serve. It dawned on me that I'm actually going for NYSC. I started asking pple what is the purpose of nysc. Nobody gave me a reasonable answer. I'm in the third month of service now. I still don't knw why I'm serving or who I'm serving or what I'm serving for. I just feel like I'm facing unnecessary bureaucracy in the name of clearance and what note and getting underpaid for my services. As for the camp. I cn say I was the worst corper in Ogun state camp. Not only did I not go for all those parade and yeye things...I didn't even wear kit until the final week. The only thing I cn say I did in that camp is to sleep and drink a lot (I av neva drunk like that in my life b4). Idleness is a bad thing. So what did I gain from orientation. Nothing. Let them kuku give us the money let us use it to start business or further our education e.g M.Sc and things.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

School ID Card Related Problems For NYSC Camp Reg / AU To Partner NYSC On Skills Acquisition For Youths / A thread for corpers posted to Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.